Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
Fyodor, would you be willing to look up 4usch9348ylf87404 for me? It's the z3 I just bought, I'm curious what its history is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Interesting. Looking at it the front fenders and everything have the original VIN stickers on them and it all lines up, paint doesn't look mismatched on any of the panels or anything

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

Interesting. Looking at it the front fenders and everything have the original VIN stickers on them and it all lines up, paint doesn't look mismatched on any of the panels or anything

Maybe a sump hit or suspension fuckery?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
IDK. There's a scuff on the front bumper rubber but that's the only sign that it's ever been in contact with another object. I guess I could pay for the accident report if I was really curious.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I've got a 530i with 125k miles on it if you want to buy that :3

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TacoHavoc posted:

Fyodor, would you be willing to look up 4usch9348ylf87404 for me? It's the z3 I just bought, I'm curious what its history is.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280367/autocheck/4USCH9348YLF87404.pdf

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So, brake update; the squealing I reported is now gone entirely, everything just needed to seat properly I guess.

Also Pagid Red pads are pretty good; performance is basically stock to stock+ under all conditions, plus they are so clean it isn't even funny...I've gone almost three weeks now and my wheels only have the lightest coating of brake dust on them, and most of that frankly is from the old pads. Highly recommended for a daily driver.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Radio on my e36 went poop, so instead of paying $100 for a replacement stock one I decided it'd make more sense to buy a $100 modern phone with 1000x the functionality and cram that in. The bezel is 3D printed and slides out on drawer rails, the phone slides in from the top into a docking port that powers it.. Took a lot of time getting everything to 'just work' like stock but it was worth it!

Next up is making a bezel for the climate control so it actually fits properly in its new home.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/5180990302.html
:lol:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Probably sacrilege in the BMW thread, but mind running VIN: 1HGCM55663A136922 ?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

glyph posted:

Bad news, it came back as a silver accord.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

glyph posted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280367/autocheck/1HGCM55663A136922.pdf

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

WBSBR93492EX24186 please.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Xy Hapu posted:

Radio on my e36 went poop, so instead of paying $100 for a replacement stock one I decided it'd make more sense to buy a $100 modern phone with 1000x the functionality and cram that in. The bezel is 3D printed and slides out on drawer rails, the phone slides in from the top into a docking port that powers it.. Took a lot of time getting everything to 'just work' like stock but it was worth it!

Next up is making a bezel for the climate control so it actually fits properly in its new home.

This is awesome! What phone did you use and would you print out another?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What's the recommended way to bleed the clutch on an E87? I have a sneaking suspicion that there's air in the lines from my CDV delete in 2011 :suicide:. I've seem some that recommend pressure bleeding it from below. Why won't vacuum bleeding it from below work? I'm a little uncomfortable pushing old brake fluid up into the brake fluid reservoir.

And, yes, I'm aware of the third compartment in the reservoir for the clutch. Not making that mistake again.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

mafoose posted:

This is awesome! What phone did you use and would you print out another?

Thanks! I had it printed through Shapeways, I just threw it up on my brother's shop thing if you want to order one from them: http://shpws.me/JJad. It's rather pricey though ($47) due to the volume it takes up, but the quality is top notch (I only had to sand the edges a bit to get rid of some raised areas, then used Flexidip to paint it).

I haven't tried printing it on a home printer but if you have one I can send you the file, let me know what format you need.

The phone's a Sony Xperia Z Ultra, I got one for cheap that had a broken SIM slot. Cool thing is they come with screen protectors from the factory, so if you find a scratched up one you can make it look new by taking them off. It's a messy/sticky process though.

I designed the bezel to use these:

Drawer sliders: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GK4YJO I just double sided taped these to the radio tray

Dock charger: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V33TT28 Slide this into the bezel, slide phone in, jiggle plug around until it starts charging the phone, then pour epoxy or something into the holes to secure it in exactly the right place

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Jesus gently caress. :negative:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

SlapActionJackson posted:

WBSBR93492EX24186 please.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280367/autocheck/WBSBR93492EX24186.pdf

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Things I knew: it had been hit on the front, bad enough to replace a headlight and bumper.

Things I didn't know: it got hit in the rear (I can find no evidence of this) and had been repossessed. Good lord. I did find what may have been the remains of an immobilized in it though...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TacoHavoc posted:

Things I knew: it had been hit on the front, bad enough to replace a headlight and bumper.

Things I didn't know: it got hit in the rear (I can find no evidence of this) and had been repossessed. Good lord. I did find what may have been the remains of an immobilized in it though...

sounds like a post-.com-bubble-bursting meltdown. first they back into something then the car gets repo'd. lol.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

bolind posted:

What's the recommended way to bleed the clutch on an E87? I have a sneaking suspicion that there's air in the lines from my CDV delete in 2011 :suicide:. I've seem some that recommend pressure bleeding it from below. Why won't vacuum bleeding it from below work? I'm a little uncomfortable pushing old brake fluid up into the brake fluid reservoir.

And, yes, I'm aware of the third compartment in the reservoir for the clutch. Not making that mistake again.

We used a Motive Brake Bleeder from the top, and my Dad monitored the top and pressure while I turned the screw under the car. It wasn't bad, but since we did it when we did the CDV delete, we already had the car up, the under panel off, and I was already in position.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

2002 One owner, drat!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
edit: nevermind its a m56 e46, probably not worth buying no matter what

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 20, 2015

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Randuin posted:

2002 One owner, drat!

It's mine. I tend to buy what exactly what I want and keep it forever. The need for 4 doors is prompting me to buy an F80 this fall, otherwise I'd just keep the E46. I hope the new one is as good to me as the old one has been.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

fyodor posted:

sounds like a post-.com-bubble-bursting meltdown. first they back into something then the car gets repo'd. lol.

Apparently you don't have PMs, more bmw thread sacrilege ahoy: NY CUH5153

In what will come as a shock to nobody, I've found most all of the e39s in the northeast that aren't retardedly priced are VERY clapped out.

E: and YS3ED55E4Y3065318

glyph fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 21, 2015

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Randuin posted:

2002 One owner, drat!

That looks just like my car except with a poo poo load more miles!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

glyph posted:

Apparently you don't have PMs, more bmw thread sacrilege ahoy: NY CUH5153

In what will come as a shock to nobody, I've found most all of the e39s in the northeast that aren't retardedly priced are VERY clapped out.

E: and YS3ED55E4Y3065318

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280367/autocheck/5J6YH27574L002268.pdf
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280367/autocheck/YS3ED55E4Y3065318.pdf

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy
So, I just ordered an i3. Solar Orange, Terra World (black interior), tech package (nicer nav).

$110 a month. I needed something cool to come out of working for this dealership. I can't wait to start commenting on how unreliable it is!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Pierced Bronson posted:

So, I just ordered an i3. Solar Orange, Terra World (black interior), tech package (nicer nav).

$110 a month. I needed something cool to come out of working for this dealership. I can't wait to start commenting on how unreliable it is!

Lease? What terms? $110/mo sounds like an awesome deal, unless you put like 6k down at signing. If they are offering massive deals like that, I may look into it, I like the weirdo i3s.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

meatpimp posted:

Lease? What terms? $110/mo sounds like an awesome deal, unless you put like 6k down at signing. If they are offering massive deals like that, I may look into it, I like the weirdo i3s.

God drat, no kidding.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Pierced Bronson posted:

drat that price I'd be tempted to drive one too, I'm guessing that's an employee rate or something? I test drove one last fall, not a bad little car thing.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

meatpimp posted:

$1500down, 2 year lease, 10k/yr miles. There's a $500,000 pool of EV incentive money left for my state, of which I was eligible to get $3k toward the lease plus my employee discount. They also gave me a $1000 credit towards a BMW charger, but I'm going to get a Siemens charger instead and I still get the $1000.

Plus I'll be able to charge for free at work till I find something better to do with my life.

Insurance tho went up $60/mo. I'm keeping my 330ci but I should be able to save at least that much in fuel savings

oh and also that includes the range extender. If I had gone with a lesser 'world' I could have come in at under $100/mo and if I had gone full electric instead of REx it would have been cheaper still. I don't plan to dip into the REx a bunch but I wasn't comfortable enough being absolutely limited to 60-80 miles with the pure electric, since I've never really had to quantify my driving patterns in 'miles per day'

Pierced Bronson fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 21, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
drat, that's a hell of a good deal.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pierced Bronson posted:

oh and also that includes the range extender. If I had gone with a lesser 'world' I could have come in at under $100/mo and if I had gone full electric instead of REx it would have been cheaper still. I don't plan to dip into the REx a bunch but I wasn't comfortable enough being absolutely limited to 60-80 miles with the pure electric, since I've never really had to quantify my driving patterns in 'miles per day'

On one hand, consider that your 10k/year lease only allows you to average a tick over 27 miles per day. On the other hand, the real-world range is likely a decent bit less than EPA stated, and may get considerably worse depending on climate.

My commute is a minimum 50 mi/day round trip. Between the reduction in range for highway driving, high temperatures (high A/C use), and degradation of the battery, I won't feel comfortable driving anything with less than 150mi EPA-rated range (I can't charge at work). But if I could lease even the hideous i3 at that price with a range extender... that's tempting.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy
I know I'm going to have to keep my eyes on the total mileage use, but I'm still keeping the 330 for things other than my commute to work. Plus I won't be using the i3 much in the winter. Regarding battery degradation and the effect of temperature, consensus is at worst I would see 45 miles of range in the dead of winter. My commute is considerably less than that round trip. I don't believe I will ruin the battery inside of two years, but hey it'll be warrantied.

For th money it'll be fun to experiment with.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear
Just bought a poormobile. 2001 E39 540i/6. 107k miles. It's a blue-grey color - I actually have no idea what the name of the color is, I looked through a list of E39 colors and I still can't figure it out.

This is the newest BMW I've ever owned - I've had 2 E24s and an E28 M5. Out of those, I wrecked the first E24, the M5 developed oil in the coolant, and I bought the second E24 with a bad camshaft...so I guess fourth time's the charm? :)

I can't get over how luxurious this thing is. I've never had a car with a power tilt steering wheel before :D

Also, this car gets the prize for least intuitive cruise control ever. I had to pull out the owner's manual twice before I was able to figure it out.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

1HGCM558X7A168201 plox

And just for grins, the buggy I just totalled- 1HGCM55673A024498

glyph fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 22, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

psh, owner's manual, just mash the buttons until the cruise kicks in.

The power wheel thing is neat because it moves out of the way when you shut the car off and stuff, too. Do you have the heated wheel as well?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I don't care what anyone says... Heated wheels are the bomb in cold climates.

I miss my E39. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Trans,

Run your Vin through a Vin decoder to find out which color it is