Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Does Trump have a stance on gun ownership?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

XK posted:

This picture somehow made me realize that to truly kick his campaign into high gear, Trump needs his own flag.

Is that St. Patrick's flag?

NotJesus
Jan 17, 2007

taqueso posted:

He fires people, not guns.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

taqueso posted:

He was pro-gun control back in the early 00s so I imagine he won't want to talk much about it as long as he's courting Republican voters.

rudatron posted:

That's such an elitist take on the situation, Trump is popular because he's legitimately anti-establishment at a time when being establishment is unpopular (because of a long history of failures and domestic uncertainty), and because he's closer, in terms of clear policy/ideology, to the base than the party elites. It's absolutely nothing like the way they're framing it, 'superficial novelty vs. serious politics'. He is presenting an ideology, it's just not the one that the party establishment has.

I agree with your analysis but I find the characterization of the article as "elitist" to be odd considering it opens by pointing out that democracies should let voters decide on candidates rather than the establishment czars.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

taqueso posted:

Oh god please let there be video somewhere of him saying 'ten rounds is more than enough'.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Brannock posted:

He was pro-gun control back in the early 00s so I imagine he won't want to talk much about it as long as he's courting Republican voters.

Actually if they could manage to paint Trump as an anti-gun elitist it might be a good attack angle on him.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
If they have that kind of 'dirt' on Trump, why have they waited so long? I mean Jeb Bush is out there flying lame-rear end airplane banners about taxes and his dad was George HW Bush

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Actually if they could manage to paint Trump as an anti-gun elitist it might be a good attack angle on him.

The thing is that political attacks would bounce off him, because Trump is pretty legitimately anti-political. Like any good fascist, most of D&D might say. But also as a Gordon Gekko character. Legislation is what the little people do who try to get in his way; he wants to be a manager who rises above that and chooses who to hire and fire.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Nagato posted:

The thing is that political attacks would bounce off him, because Trump is pretty legitimately anti-political. Like any good fascist, most of D&D might say. But also as a Gordon Gekko character. Legislation is what the little people do who try to get in his way; he wants to be a manager who rises above that and chooses who to hire and fire.

You underestimate how unbelievably stupid people are about guns. Trump can trick people into accepting universal healthcare by being vague with this "replace it with something better" line over and over, but one whiff of possibly sensible talk about guns could burn everything down.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

MrBims posted:

You underestimate how unbelievably stupid people are about guns. Trump can trick people into accepting universal healthcare by being vague with this "replace it with something better" line over and over, but one whiff of possibly sensible talk about guns could burn everything down.
It's possible. I'm sure the opposition will throw everything they have at him when he hasn't dropped out in December and things are starting to look scary.

I agree that the mccullough post is pretty elitist and silly but this part is spot-on:

quote:

Trump is not popular for political reasons, and efforts to cast him as a revolutionary figure of substance, particularly among alt-righters who worship the man as their white nationalist messiah, seem tortured and weird. Trump does not have a history of pushing clear or consistent political beliefs, priorities, or agendas. He does have a history of being an entertaining reality show star known for sassy insults and loveable egomania.

Unrelated, but why are people listening to "alt-righters", who basically consist of several hundred Twitter trolls? Why did the 4chan term "cuckservative" become the talk of the blogosphere for a week and a half? There couldn't be a better example of our total inability to parse how 300 million Americans think about politics

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
He's been incredibly pro gun and talking about it for awhile.
He's not afraid of the subject.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MrBims posted:

Oh god please let there be video somewhere of him saying 'ten rounds is more than enough'.

Donald Trump, "The America We Deserve" (2000, Renaissance Books) posted:

“I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I also support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun.”

Fat Ogre
Dec 31, 2007

Guns don't kill people.

I do.
He's come out as pretty strong on the 2nd amendment side. Calling the NY SAFE act unconstitutional and saying his opinion on assault weapons changed when his sons said they like using them for hunting. Apparently his sons are big time gun nuts and that has changed his mind.

Could be bullshit but it's plausible.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

“I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I also support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun.”
That's a weird combination of opinions.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Samurai Sanders posted:

Poorly worded but not awfully strange - longer cool-off periods, ban on "assault weapons," (:words:) not altogether unreasonable views outside of the forums.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Poorly worded but not awfully strange - longer cool-off periods, ban on "assault weapons," (:worms:) not altogether unreasonable views outside of the forums.
But I mean, what is "gun control" if not precisely that?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not really. If you look at what other countries do in terms of licensing and other restrictions, that's essentially gently caress all in terms of gun control.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Samurai Sanders posted:

But I mean, what is "gun control" if not precisely that?

When most people think "gun control" they think "the government heavily restricts, if not outright a total ban, what guns you can get".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Brannock posted:

When most people think "gun control" they think "the government heavily restricts, if not outright a total ban, what guns you can get".
I guess I've come too far to see that as anything other than fantasy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Samurai Sanders posted:

But I mean, what is "gun control" if not rules about what guns you can buy and when?

Oh jesus loving christ. He's generally opposed to heavy-handed gun control, stuff such as handgun bans. He's not opposed to certain specific acts of firearms responsibility legislation. It's a nuanced thing that one doesn't expect from him, but back then he wasn't running for the GOP nomination and probably felt a little less encumbered by syllable limits.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Have an Ipsos/Reuters poll, released today:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wager you $10,000 if Trump came out Monday advocating for better background checks and other common-sense cleanups of gun regulation and framed it as "We want to make sure that the right people are getting guns, not the wrong people" his base would eat it right up.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Brannock posted:

I wager you $10,000 if Trump came out Monday advocating for better background checks and other common-sense cleanups of gun regulation and framed it as "We want to make sure that the right people are getting guns, not the wrong people" his base would eat it right up.

I certainly wouldn't bet against that at all. He's advocating a national health system and either they're too loving stupid to get it or they're too loving starry-eyed to care.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If you want to sink him on an issue, gun control is hardly the easiest. He was pro-choice until very recently.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Man Rubio, Walker and Bush's numbers haven't been looking good lately. Rather than pulling away from the clownshow to be the serious candidates it's starting to look like they're blending into the crowd. It must be hard to stand out in the presence of Trump.

If Trump should fade it'd be amazing if he left the field in such disarray that when people start picking up the pieces all the "serious" candidates had been shaken out of the top spots. He's holding such a big chunk of votes that people must wonder which way they'd break - if Cruz got his wish and became their second choice that'd be a big change.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Brannock posted:

I'm really starting to think he will be my preferred GOP candidate.

edit: not that I'd vote for him, but he could definitely shake everything up over there for the sake of future elections.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 22, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You can't be pro-choice and be nominated by the Republican party. It's why Rudy Giuliani's candidacy was always doomed. Speaking of which, this exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IrE6FMpai8

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Joementum posted:

Somebody's doing it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

I certainly wouldn't bet against that at all. He's advocating a national health system and either they're too loving stupid to get it or they're too loving starry-eyed to care.

It's neither; it's because he, a republican billionaire, is saying that it can happen. Republican voters are not the republican elite, and typically only come out against financially liberal policies when framed in social conservatism.

Establishment republicans say UHS cant work because "welfare queens" will abuse the system, boters begrudgingly accept this and direct more anger at minorities. Trump says UHS can happen and the minorities cant harm that/he will deport the minorities, voters go wild because they WANT free healthcare.

It's vital towards confronting and converting republican voters that we acknowledge their political weakness (social conservatism), and don't write them off as braindead morlocks.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Joementum posted:

You can't be pro-choice and be nominated by the Republican party. It's why Rudy Giuliani's candidacy was always doomed. Speaking of which, this exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IrE6FMpai8

:worship:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Nagato posted:

Unrelated, but why are people listening to "alt-righters", who basically consist of several hundred Twitter trolls? Why did the 4chan term "cuckservative" become the talk of the blogosphere for a week and a half? There couldn't be a better example of our total inability to parse how 300 million Americans think about politics
I think that's true but you're understating the size of the alt-right. I don't want to whip up a brown scare and be like "oh god the Nazis are coming!" but alt-right is older than 4chan and Twitter. I think the alt-right is influencing people on those sites instead of the reverse.

But more to the point, I think his point is that Trump isn't a fascist, but he is the candidate of American fascism though that's also weird and doesn't really fit.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

In a recent phone call with a longtime friend who has been acting as an informal adviser, Trump warned: “If I’m going down, then Bush is going down with me. He’s not going to be president of the United States.”

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

All Trump has to do is say "We must make it harder for illegals to get our guns and kill our women with them."

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
He's the candidate of Narcissism, and both parties' hosed up beliefs in mutant flipper-baby ideologies that dont actually benefit anyone in the long term makes a complete narcissist's stances look viable.

In a functional country with sane politics, a billionaire supporting UHS wouldnt be a big deal because its obvious (cheaper premiums, fewer sick workers because of preemptive doc visits, healthy workers are productive workers). Yet here we are in America, where nightmares are reality and our land is raped by Kochs.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
Trump is a treasure

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Top City Homo posted:

Trump is a treasure

Trump is America and so can you!

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Judging by that article I wouldn't be surprised that trump is ONLY running to make sure jeb doesn't win. Pure lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

That poor baby, trapped between a rock and a Trump place. :smith:

• Locked thread