Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Long story short, my wife's iPhone 6+ had since water damage this weekend and it allowed the phone is dead. We got a replacement one and have to send the old one in. Are there any avenues to recover the photos off the phone and how much money are we talking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

are the photos ONLY on the phone? you don't have automatic backups to a computer? photo stream?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Only on the phone unfortunately. I thought we had enabled photos in iCloud but apparently not.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You can take it to Apple themselves and explain that you already had it covered and all that. There's no at-home thing you can do to fix it assuming you've already tried the rice in the bag thing.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I don't think it is fixable. Just trying to figure out if there are services that can somehow pull the data off the phone similar to how you would get data off a corrupt hard drive or something.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

vulturesrow posted:

I don't think it is fixable. Just trying to figure out if there are services that can somehow pull the data off the phone similar to how you would get data off a corrupt hard drive or something.

There has to be a shop somewhere in your city that has services that tries to recover data from dead phones.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

RhoA posted:

There has to be a shop somewhere in your city that has services that tries to recover data from dead phones.

The challenge will be the encryption employed on the phone. Assuming there are data companies that even can do it, they will charge a good chunk of cash to do so, as it's 'forensic level' recovery, similar to people trying to read HDD platters when the chipset is fried.
The security chip on the phone has to be readable / working or, password or not, that data is toast.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this is also essentially true even if no passcode was ever used; the data is still encrypted, it was just auto-logging in.

e:

vulturesrow posted:

it's worth saying, it's possible your pronouncement of "dead" is premature and it's just a completely killed screen. Have you actually tried plugging it in? If it's recognised as a USB device there are plenty of software tools that pull data off the phone.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 21, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
have they fixed the apple music icloud thing blowing up people's playlists etc?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Khablam posted:

e:

it's worth saying, it's possible your pronouncement of "dead" is premature and it's just a completely killed screen. Have you actually tried plugging it in? If it's recognised as a USB device there are plenty of software tools that pull data off the phone.

iTunes recognizes the device as being in recovery mode but when I try to reboot out of recovery mode it either isnt rebooting or iTunes isn't recognizing it. So it's not completely dead but I can't exactly tell what is going on with it because the screen is definitely dead

e: To clarify, my OS (Windows 7 64-bit) doesn't appear to be detecting at all in recovery mode, just iTunes. I try hard rebooting and then it isnt even recognized in iTunes or the OS.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 21, 2015

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

iTunes recognizes the device as being in recovery mode but when I try to reboot out of recovery mode it either isnt rebooting or iTunes isn't recognizing it. So it's not completely dead but I can't exactly tell what is going on with it because the screen is definitely dead

e: To clarify, my OS (Windows 7 64-bit) doesn't appear to be detecting at all in recovery mode, just iTunes. I try hard rebooting and then it isnt even recognized in iTunes or the OS.

Sadly, if it only boots into DFU mode then your data is still behind the hardware encryption on the 4S and later. I have no idea if any forensic data recovery companies can do anything with that, but it won't be cheap. RAW reading of unencrypted flash memory is typically priced at $500+ for phones and may well be more than that if its more than 16Gb.

It's likely a painful lesson in setting a backup unless you have money to throw at low percentage chances of success.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

It's also worth pointing out that if you send the device to a data recovery center, you won't be able to send the phone back to Apple within the appropriate time frame, and you will end up paying full price for the replacement phone.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

My iPhone 6 is bugging me about another update, but I really don't want to update it any more because every time I do, I lose more space. My "16GB" phone is down to only having 11.9GB of usable space and has been shrinking with every update. I understand that you always lose some space for phone software or whatever, but this seems ridiculous.

I am also constantly running out of space now, and I don't really understand why. I've had to delete nearly every app at this point. I got a 16GB because that had suited me fine for years. I'd have considered a 32 maybe, but jumping all the way to 64GB seemed crazy when I was doing fine with 16.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not sure why you would hesitate to get more space than you were considering for what would have been the same price, but whatever. In any case, I guess don't update until iOS 9 is released because that should get you some space back since the install is supposed to be smaller than iOS 8 and apps compiled for it will be smaller since they will only download the parts relevant to your device (e.g. you won't get 32-bit code on a 64-bit device).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Enfys posted:

My iPhone 6 is bugging me about another update, but I really don't want to update it any more because every time I do, I lose more space. My "16GB" phone is down to only having 11.9GB of usable space and has been shrinking with every update. I understand that you always lose some space for phone software or whatever, but this seems ridiculous.

I am also constantly running out of space now, and I don't really understand why. I've had to delete nearly every app at this point. I got a 16GB because that had suited me fine for years. I'd have considered a 32 maybe, but jumping all the way to 64GB seemed crazy when I was doing fine with 16.

I thought 16 gb would be fine since I barely play games and just stream music these days but 16 gb is loving worthless these days.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Yeah I definitely regret not going for the 64gb now, but it seemed like a sensible decision at the time. I'd had plenty of space with my old 16gb so wasn't sure the extra €100 was worth it. I hadn't really thought of it the way you put it (which seems silly now), just that 64gb sounded wildly unnecessary. I also got a bit frazzled trying to understand the new phone plans since my network seems to change them around every year and wouldn't let me keep my old plan, and it's difficult to work out what is best when figuring out different upgrade options/costs + new phone plans. My mistake; I'll go better prepared next time.

I don't really use my phone any differently than before (and in fact uninstalled pretty much all the apps I used to use, rarely take photos etc), so it's a little baffling why space has become such an issue when I had plenty before upgrading. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong as I can't figure out where the space is going. Randomly losing bits of space seems to be happening despite not downloading stuff. A couple months ago I had ~2gb free, and all I've done since then is add maybe 30 songs and update, but I've been having to delete stuff lately due to being out of space.

The other day, to free up some space I deleted one of my last apps that according to storage management was taking up 294MB. That gave me around 220MB total free space (which I also don't understand). However when I just checked, I now only have 141MB of free space. I haven't done anything with my phone the last couple days besides normal calls/texts, basic browsing/checking my email (no attachments or downloads or anything), and listening to music.

I guess the real answer is not to get a 16gb so I don't have to worry about losing precious megabytes of space, but I'm stuck with it for awhile.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The problem people overlook, is the size of apps has ballooned over the years, and you will likely always use 50-75% of the space on a 16Gb for your apps without realising it. Social media apps that used to weigh in well under 10mb (as were most apps, besides games) are now regularly 10x that.

In most regards this is a positive thing, but you should absolutely consider it when you're looking at a new phone. "16Gb" will end up being "about 5 to play with" once you have an average load of stuff on there.

e: and as to your issue of space going missing, just look under settings > general > usage > manage storage and look for the culprits.
Often you'll see an app you thought was 20mb weighing in at 900mb or something stupid, as it's been caching for no good reason. Re-install the app (losing the app data) to get them back down in size.
I hope iOS10 or something makes this process transparent.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 22, 2015

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Cozmosis posted:

I feel like the people who have dropped their phones on concrete and claim they are scratchless are the same people who are calling things "mint" on Swappa and CL with micro-scratches all over the place and clearly worn bezels, etc.

Its an affliction.

Well FINE, if I hold it at just the right angle I can see a lot of little scratches around the edges that don't reach into the glass of the screen itself. It's not like the old bastard is still pristine.

suck klutzes

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
iOS9 has some potential to free up some space but not to the point where 16 GB is viable for most people who would be likely to post about their phone here. It definitely is enough for a lot people at work though, heck, 8GB works just fine for them.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I remember reading that an iPhone charges considerably faster in airplane mode. Any truth to that?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Theoretically true because it isnt using any power to run the antennae. The difference may be negligible though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Completely anecdotal, but I experienced a slight, but noticeable, increase in charging speed in Airplane mode. For me, though, I think it was less 'not powering the antenna' and more 'my screen didn't pop on every few minutes with a new tweet, text, or other notification'.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Regarding storage space chat. Isn't there also a bug with the video app and apple music that when you stream music and/or video the whole shebang will get cached but not deleted afterwards? Or am I remembering that wrong?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bronin posted:

Regarding storage space chat. Isn't there also a bug with the video app and apple music that when you stream music and/or video the whole shebang will get cached but not deleted afterwards? Or am I remembering that wrong?

You're completely correct! See my post from a few posts above on how to fix that :

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yoooo so, for any other 16Gb povs out there:

Lately I've been having issues where I was drastically running out of storage space for no real reason. Started deleting apps left right and centre but the storage was always filling back up. I had my suspicions about Apple Music since it started filling up after 8.3

So, yesterday, just out of interest, I plugged it into my Mac and ran iExplorer and there was a 5Gb (!) folder of audio files from Apple music. I'd never set any files to download for offline and according to the Music app, I had no offline songs. The copy of iExplorer I have in work doesn't let me delete files so I downloaded some alternative (Macgo iPhone Explorer or something) and deleted the Cloud Assets folders containing hundreds of .m4a files.

Lo and Behold I've now got nearly half the phone free again! There were songs on the phone I hadn't listened to in months and whole downloads of Beats 1 streams that had just been sitting there. Surprised they don't get deleted after use but it's definitely worth checking out what's actually on your phone if you're low on space!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Have you found a way to stop the bloat without third party tools? There's gotta be a toggle or setting somewhere, right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Since the 3GS, I had always gotten the 16GB model, but I swapped my launch day 6 16GB the next day for a 64GB because 1 session of slow-mo video convinced me 16GB was no longer sufficient.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

xzzy posted:

Have you found a way to stop the bloat without third party tools? There's gotta be a toggle or setting somewhere, right?

I think it's just a massive bug. Restarting the phone and syncing with iTunes did t get rid of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Khablam posted:

The problem people overlook, is the size of apps has ballooned over the years, and you will likely always use 50-75% of the space on a 16Gb for your apps without realising it. Social media apps that used to weigh in well under 10mb (as were most apps, besides games) are now regularly 10x that.

Yeah, absolutely. Between this and the massive increase in size of iOS I think it was really stupid that they even bothered making a 16gb iPhone 6. It's easy to upgrade and not realize how much more space apps take up now. I have nothing but Facebook and instagram and a small handful of other apps on my phone and I have to go in and delete stuff every time I want to add anything. All of that poo poo would have taken up 1 gb tops a couple of years ago. It seems like a huge oversight.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
If I start to sync my iPhone to a new Mac, will everything be wiped the first time? I can never seem to remember and it scares me :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I remember reading a while back that Apple was willing to replace your iPhone if you had a misaligned front-facing camera.

Is that still the case, and is that what's happening to me?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I brought mine into the store maybe two months ago for that reason; the person at the counter basically took a half glance at it and immediately started writing up the warranty swap ticket. Mine was ever so slightly out of alignment when I got it on launch day, and then over the next few months it slowly worked its way out a little further.

Yours looks like it's mayyybe happening, but definitely not to the degree that mine was. It's hard to tell though because the photo's not totally close up on the camera, but I understand that it's kind of hard to get a picture of the device that is typically everyone's primary camera these days :v:

It doesn't affect image quality, and the device they swapped me for has started doing it again, too. I really wouldn't sweat it, unless you want to get it swapped out so as to have a "pristine" phone to sell.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Looks like it to me. I've no first hand experience with the misaligned camera issue, but I just looked at mine, and there's no discernable plastic/black edges, just blue glowy front-facing camera lens goodness that I never use ever.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
For the apple music storage stuff - is there any way to manage / check this directly on the phone? It doesnt look like apple music appears under the normal manage storage screen.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I have wi-fi in my apartment. I also have an xfinity wi-fi hotspot within connection range of my apartment. Is there any way to tell my phone that when I'm here, I want it to connect to my wi-fi instead of the xfinity one other than having it totally forget the xfinity hot spot every time I come home?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

So I have wi-fi in my apartment. I also have an xfinity wi-fi hotspot within connection range of my apartment. Is there any way to tell my phone that when I'm here, I want it to connect to my wi-fi instead of the xfinity one other than having it totally forget the xfinity hot spot every time I come home?

Turn off auto join for the xfinity hotspot.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kalman posted:

Turn off auto join for the xfinity hotspot.

But I still want it to auto join that network from other locations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

But I still want it to auto join that network from other locations.

If the SSID is a known-common one (i.e. 'Starbucks WIFI') then it should seamlessly store the BSSID, and the auto-join toggle should be unique to that actual hotspot. This is done to prevent people honey-potting quite so easily by just naming their poo poo after common hotspots and having phones auto roam onto it.

I say "should" because this is one of those apple things that's transparent; great when it works but almost completely impossible to diagnose if it doesn't.
Just try turning off auto-join for that one hotspot and seeing how you get on.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

enojy posted:

Looks like it to me. I've no first hand experience with the misaligned camera issue, but I just looked at mine, and there's no discernable plastic/black edges, just blue glowy front-facing camera lens goodness that I never use ever.

The FaceTime camera part was replaced early this year with a new component, replacements have a bluer' hue to them. They don't seem to shift.

Source: I was an Apple Technician.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
People here have just been posting similar things, by FYI if you got a 6+ between launch and December 2014, Apple may replace it due to faulty camera:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/08/apple-launches-replacement-program-for-faulty-iphone-6-plus-cameras/

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

People here have just been posting similar things, by FYI if you got a 6+ between launch and December 2014, Apple may replace it due to faulty camera:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/08/apple-launches-replacement-program-for-faulty-iphone-6-plus-cameras/

Apple is repairing the cameras on these phones only. They're not replacing the phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Does Apple warranty their repairs?

My mom had her old iPhone 5 screen replaced at an Apple Store (she paid for it), and a few months later, the screen is popping off the phone.