Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Comedy option: Push the printer out of a window and show them the suicide note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Verizian posted:

Isn't there some kind of etherkiller for printers?

Thermite.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Verizian posted:

The ground.

Due to people cheaping out when we buy hardware, we never get the longer warranty on equipment, or we only get the most basic level of support. We've had a handful of juniper firewalls and switches die because of the power supply going out, and apparently Juniper is going "Yep, that sucks, only 1 year on the power supply though, suck it."

Boss hands me one our SRX's and wants me to find the power supply it uses, and then see if we can find one online. This doesn't really have a replaceable power supply, its not a hotswappable unit, and is just a bunch of things on a circuit board mounted to the inside of the unit. I find a couple of serial numbers on it, and google them and by gum its possible to buy them. In units of 40 for 120 bucks each, with a 14-16 week lead time. This does not dissuade him.

I guess only our department has to be cheap.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Verizian posted:

Etherkiller doesn't give a gently caress what it gets plugged into.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

RadicalR posted:

Comedy option: Push the printer out of a window and show them the suicide note.

I'd have to have the printer hang itself. It's in the basement. It can hang itself with it's own parallel cable.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
So he wants you to solder a power brick together using parts to save a few bucks? What a hero.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Ticket came in for a scanner.

It's out of scope for my team and is handled by another vendor. It's not even broken. I let him know. He tells me that she is the only one with the jamming problem because she doesn't fan the papers she's scanning a bit. When asked to help mitigate the risk of jamming, he was told she "doesn't have time for that" and then was threatened with "going to a higher up". He doesn't really give a poo poo because it's such nonsense.

How people this toxic continue to have gainful employment is beyond me. She's been known to bad mouth people who are legitimately trying to fix her issue, just not as fast as she thinks it takes. Her employees could probably write a book about it. She isn't nearly important or valuable enough to be threatening people for not magically making the machine work around her laziness and inflexibility. She's a manager of paper pushers and anyone under her could do her job no problem.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

myron cope posted:

Sorry, I forgot I posted that here (too many threads). I'd be interested. You can PM it if you don't want to post it, that's fine. Thanks!

Here you go. i edited out the company personal codes. and added some intructions. I also added the whatif parameter for you, so you can see what it does before it actually deletes stuff

code:
#=============================================================================
# Versie: 1.0
# Datum: 17/08/2015
# Auteurs: redacted  
#
#This script will check which Active Directory accounts have been disabled for more than 90 days 
#and will delete the homedirectory, e-mail and the Account itself."
 $ErrorActionPreference = 'SilentlyContinue'
add-pssnapin Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.E2010

Add-PSSnapin Quest.ActiveRoles.ADManagement -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

$Today = get-date
$OU = "company.dc/Accounts/Disabled Accounts"  #you can change this to reflect ur own OU
$Path ="E:\Scripts\Log\InactiveUserAccounts.csv" #you can change this to wherever you prefer

$users = Get-QADUser  -InactiveFor 90 -Disabled -SizeLimit 0 -searchroot $OU |  
where {$_.WhenChanged.Adddays(90) -lt $Today } 

ForEach ($user in $users) 
{

Write-host -ForegroundColor green "the following user's homedirectory will be deleted" 
write-host -foregroundcolor red $user.homedirectory

remove-item $user.Homedirectory -Recurse -Force -whatif 
Write-Host -foregroundcolor green "The user's homedirectory has been deleted"

Write-Host -foregroundcolor green "the following active directory account wil be deleted"
Write-Host -foregroundcolor red $user.SamAccountName

Remove-QADObject -identity $user -force -whatif
Write-Host -foregroundcolor green "The user's  Active Directory Account has been deleted" 

}

$users | Select-Object DisplayName, email, homedirectory | Export-csv -path $Path -Delimiter ";" -NoTypeInformation

Write-Host -foregroundcolor yellow  " A list of the deleted accounts, homedirectory and e-mail will be sent via e-mail"

#edit the following to reflect ur own mail adress
$SmtpServer = "your smtp server"
$From = "Companydomaincontroller <noreply-XX@company.dc>" 
$To = "ur mail";
$To ="company mail";
$Subject = "Lijst van verwijderde AD gebruikers "
$Body ="Bijgesloten de lijst met verwijderde Active Directory User Accounts, Homedirectory's en e-mails."

Send-mailmessage -from $From -to $To -subject $Subject -body $Body -Attachments $path -smtpServer $SmtpServer

Write-host -ForegroundColor Yellow "All accounts in Disabled Accounts OU will be hidden from the address list"
Get-Mailbox -OrganizationalUnit "Disabled Accounts" | Set-Mailbox -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $TRUE

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sefal posted:

Here you go. i edited out the company personal codes. and added some intructions. I also added the whatif parameter for you, so you can see what it does before it actually deletes stuff

code:
# Versie: 1.0
# Datum: 17/08/2015
# Auteurs: redacted  
#
#This script will check which Active Directory accounts have been disabled for more than 90 days 
#and will delete the homedirectory, e-mail and the Account itself."
 $ErrorActionPreference = 'SilentlyContinue'
add-pssnapin Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.E2010

Add-PSSnapin Quest.ActiveRoles.ADManagement -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

$Today = get-date
$OU = "company.dc/Accounts/Disabled Accounts"  #you can change this to reflect ur own OU
$Path ="E:\Scripts\Log\InactiveUserAccounts.csv" #you can change this to wherever you prefer

$users = Get-QADUser  -InactiveFor 90 -Disabled -SizeLimit 0 -searchroot $OU |  
where {$_.WhenChanged.Adddays(90) -lt $Today } 

ForEach ($user in $users) 
{

Write-host -ForegroundColor green "the following user's homedirectory will be deleted" 
write-host -foregroundcolor red $user.homedirectory

remove-item $user.Homedirectory -Recurse -Force -whatif 
Write-Host -foregroundcolor green "The user's homedirectory has been deleted"

Write-Host -foregroundcolor green "the following active directory account wil be deleted"
Write-Host -foregroundcolor red $user.SamAccountName

Remove-QADObject -identity $user -force -whatif
Write-Host -foregroundcolor green "The user's  Active Directory Account has been deleted" 

}

$users | Select-Object DisplayName, email, homedirectory | Export-csv -path $Path -Delimiter ";" -NoTypeInformation

Write-Host -foregroundcolor yellow  " A list of the deleted accounts, homedirectory and e-mail will be sent via e-mail"

#edit the following to reflect ur own mail adress
$SmtpServer = "your smtp server"
$From = "Companydomaincontroller <noreply-XX@company.dc>" 
$To = "ur mail";
$To ="company mail";
$Subject = "Lijst van verwijderde AD gebruikers "
$Body ="Bijgesloten de lijst met verwijderde Active Directory User Accounts, Homedirectory's en e-mails."

Send-mailmessage -from $From -to $To -subject $Subject -body $Body -Attachments $path -smtpServer $SmtpServer

Write-host -ForegroundColor Yellow "All accounts in Disabled Accounts OU will be hidden from the address list"
Get-Mailbox -OrganizationalUnit "Disabled Accounts" | Set-Mailbox -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $TRUE
You should probably mention that this requires Quest ActiveRoles and also either use $ErrorActionPreference or get rid of it

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

You should probably mention that this requires Quest ActiveRoles and also either use $ErrorActionPreference or get rid of it

oh I completely overlooked the fact that I had erroraction double in it. Thanks for spotting that. And yeah it requires the quest active roles. When i use the normal AD cmdlet, i get the error that there are no web services running. Haven't solved that yet.
The only thing i want to add to the script is to check the moment the user is added to the disabled ou if he is a member of a distribution group and then delete him from it. I'm pretty sure it's simple. just havent had the time to figure it out.

Hide from adress list functions good enough for now.

Also if you guys see something that I can do better with my script or using a different parameter to utilize it better or whatever. please tell. I'm still learning all of this.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 21, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

CEO showed me something funny this morning. We're getting real close to signing a contract to move to a new ERP system, migrating away from a truly horrible system running on an IBM iSeries.

Regardless of what you switch over to, you'll long for the old system. There are no good choices

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It turns out my new manager actually does think everyone should be local admins.

Please tell me I'm not just being crazy when I say that people who would rather be using a paper ledger and cash register than a computer shouldn't be local administrators.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I work in a university where everyone is a local admin on their machines.

I honestly don't know how we don't get cryptowall'd all day. It's actually only happened once on someone's computer since I've worked here (about 1.5 years).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
We've had folks without local admin get crypto'd.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
My company of about 50k+ computers has everyone as local admin. We rarely get any cryptolockers, and when we do we can restore everything from backups.

We are looking into removing local admin from the computers, but the massive side effect of this would be that they would need to contact the Helpdesk for ANY software installs, because only IT people will have the power to do any software installs. This includes anything from our software installation site.

While this is all in the name of security, I expect this to be a massive poo poo show.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Why do staff need to regularly install software on their own computers? If there's a business need for people to install their own software, setup something like SCCM that lets users install software from a self service portal.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

Why do staff need to regularly install software on their own computers? If there's a business need for people to install their own software, setup something like SCCM that lets users install software from a self service portal.

We have a system, and it works fine, but removing local admin will force all software installs to go through the Helpdesk because they'll need admin rights to actually install the software, which can only be provided by IT personnel.

They're probably looking into a way to elevate rights for software installs, but still...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's another thing. People at our company think "Oh, I need to install $antivirus software," which ends up loving with Sophos, or they add other crap. Nobody here needs any other software on their work computer, but judging by Meraki there are at least one or two people at every site who installed iTunes, and they're usually the ones calling in complaining about the internet being slow.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Migishu posted:

We have a system, and it works fine, but removing local admin will force all software installs to go through the Helpdesk because they'll need admin rights to actually install the software, which can only be provided by IT personnel.

They're probably looking into a way to elevate rights for software installs, but still...

Is there a business need for them to be installing this software? If there is, and if you've got fifty thousand employees, then it sounds like a perfect case for SCCM. Advertise the software in SCCM, it shows in the users Software Center and they can install it from there. No local admin needed.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
A Small Business Server 2003 machine was just delivered to my office.

That's all I have to say about that.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Sheep posted:

A Small Business Server 2003 machine was just delivered to my office.

That's all I have to say about that.

No, it didn't. A completely trashed machine was delivered to the office. Well, that's what you get for ordering cheap goods.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is your office a place where things end up when they have been decommissioned?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I unpacked it, saw the dust bunnies of a decade of no cleaning or maintenance, and picked up the phone and scheduled a local charity to come pick it up (along with some old laptops) so they can sell it or part it out or whatever and use the proceeds to give computers to underprivileged kids.

Some poo poo just isn't worth dealing with.

Thanks Ants posted:

Is your office a place where things end up when they have been decommissioned?

Small business IT :v:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Best place to stop crytpo is at your email gateway. I give out local admin pretty liberally and while FreeCouponPrinter definitely slows things down a bit, I've never had anyone get an actual virus/ransomware infection (besides our IS instructor, who forces me to rethink the line between inept and malicious on a daily basis with the poo poo he gets on his servers)

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It turns out my new manager actually does think everyone should be local admins.

Please tell me I'm not just being crazy when I say that people who would rather be using a paper ledger and cash register than a computer shouldn't be local administrators.

90% of the time, "I need local admin" is a complaint in the same vein as "The internet is down" or "My computer won't turn on"-- technically accurate, but the root cause is usually something completely different. If this is something people are requesting, as opposed to just his brainchild "I want to make my mark on the company", the best bet would be to figure out why and solve that problem.

The other 10% of the time, give people local admin, make sure the network shares are backed up, and institute a blanket "If you gently caress it up, we're reimaging it, the end" policy.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
In that same vein, something I like to tell people, especially when I'm handed some garbage to implement, is that they need to step back and tell me what their problem is instead of asking me to implement their solution.

My old boss was really bad at that and would just blindly do exactly whatever he was asked which ended up in silly stuff like trying to use a USB switcher to share a scanner between two computers. That's the solution the office manager came up with and what was brought to my manager and that's what we did. It ended up being terrible and they just bought a second USB scanner.

The actual problem is that they wanted to buy a single scanner for both computers to use, and actually this was part of a much larger effort to digitize all their student records. Which is a much more interesting problem and also one that has much more reasonable solutions.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You put up a few barriers to crypto hell like gateway stuff and then just make sure you have backups

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

FISHMANPET posted:

In that same vein, something I like to tell people, especially when I'm handed some garbage to implement, is that they need to step back and tell me what their problem is instead of asking me to implement their solution.

My old boss was really bad at that and would just blindly do exactly whatever he was asked which ended up in silly stuff like trying to use a USB switcher to share a scanner between two computers. That's the solution the office manager came up with and what was brought to my manager and that's what we did. It ended up being terrible and they just bought a second USB scanner.

The actual problem is that they wanted to buy a single scanner for both computers to use, and actually this was part of a much larger effort to digitize all their student records. Which is a much more interesting problem and also one that has much more reasonable solutions.

This was a large part of a previous job - having to try and get people to un-learn poo poo ways of doing things. The 12 year old Windows XP computer with a composite capture card running VLC fullscreen on a VGA monitor being used solely to display the output from a CCTV recorder on a monitor has died and you need it fixing? What you actually want is a cheap converter box or a new display with the correct input in.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Got pulled into a 1 on 1 by my manager.

Reasoning: He felt bad for telling me that I wasn't even considered for a position I expressed interest in and didn't tell me until they announced the new guy getting the role.

:thumbsup:

It was a lateral move but it meant less time on the phones. A lot less.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Malek posted:

Got pulled into a 1 on 1 by my manager.

Reasoning: He felt bad for telling me that I wasn't even considered for a position I expressed interest in and didn't tell me until they announced the new guy getting the role.

:thumbsup:

It was a lateral move but it meant less time on the phones. A lot less.

Are you really good on the phones? If so that might be the issue.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Sickening posted:

Are you really good on the phones? If so that might be the issue.

I'm starting to think that's the case and my surveys are matching this... apparently I have 14 perfects in a row. *Shrugs* Whatever, 8 months come and go then it'll be :toot:-seeking time.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Stranded outside in San Francisco at 2:30 in the morning because my mom uses loving POP3 and left the AirBnB entry code in her Outlook PST file 3000 miles away :waycool:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I just can't get away from this poo poo

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Pissing me off: 1 to 1 with more that 2 people

The meeting room was busy, so my boss had my 1 to 1 in his office, which he shares with another manager (not mine). I guess because he wasn't planning chewing me out for anything he felt it didn't matter there was an audience, but 1) there were sensitive things I wanted to discuss, such as the pay increase he'd mentioned a few months back and been evasive about ever since*, and 2) I really don't want a third party hearing your appraisal of my performance, even if it is all positive.

*I brought it up anyway and he gave me another "let's review next month" answer. :geno:

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Think printers can't piss you off any more than they currently do?

Region locking of consumables!

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150815/02480731963/your-toner-is-no-good-here-region-coding-ink-cartridges-customers.shtml

quote:

Xerox uses region coding on their toner catridges AND locks the printer to the first type used. So if you use an NA (North America) catridge you can't use the cheaper DMO (Eastern Europe) anymore. The printer's display does NOT show this, nor does the hotline know about it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Humphreys posted:

Think printers can't piss you off any more than they currently do?

Region locking of consumables!

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150815/02480731963/your-toner-is-no-good-here-region-coding-ink-cartridges-customers.shtml
Ah, if only this were a new feature.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anthonypants posted:

Ah, if only this were a new feature.

Yeah, I thought that had been a thing for a while now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For some reason one of our non-Windows admins has been allowed to try and prove how his cobbled together monitoring system is a usable solution and the result is to raise critical tickets whenever the Windows event log records an Error or Warning event. And then it raises the ticket just saying "lol go look in the logs" instead of putting the actual loving event into the ticket.

So the result is that the tickets get ignored as noise. Great system, really going to achieve its aims.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

For some reason one of our non-Windows admins has been allowed to try and prove how his cobbled together monitoring system is a usable solution and the result is to raise critical tickets whenever the Windows event log records an Error or Warning event. And then it raises the ticket just saying "lol go look in the logs" instead of putting the actual loving event into the ticket.

So the result is that the tickets get ignored as noise. Great system, really going to achieve its aims.

What hacked together poo poo is he using? Just about every solution out there will allow you to create some trigger logic based on the the actual message to decide whether a ticket is necessary or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have no idea. The guy behind it is one of those types who is very secretive about stuff he is responsible for, doesn't share access to it, and doesn't take suggestions for improvements well. Obviously none of this being challenged by management is a larger issue.