Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
External-existing systems integration.

Programmers, industrial designers, and psychologists all use the same concept

In prosthetics all three have to work together at once and it's a goddamn trip seeing the nuances of technical language fall apart at the seams over this concept

Game design is kinda like mad science biology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

thuly posted:

Game design is kinda like mad science biology

that's the nicest thing anybody has ever said about me

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Malloreon posted:

in my crazy days I bought Ideology. Cannot for the life of me remember why. Still haven't opened it.

You're telling me it's better than it looks?!

Game is fantastical.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Tekopo posted:

Go for both, never compromise, play wargames, hail satan.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Probably saturated, but worth a shot. Got a copy of GMTs Empire of the Sun and wanna upgrade it? Have it on your to-buy list? Sucker for fancy dice? Dig these:

I'm getting an order going to Chessex and I will distribute these to who wants them, even internationally. Check the wargame thread or send an email to lordfrisksa at gmail with a Zip/postal code and I'll give you a quote. Order specs go in on Monday.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

back around april, i pre-order the TEZLA expansion for the supposedly wonderful Mage Knight The Boardgame boardgame. I also order a couple of in-stock knick-knacks, or whatever you call cheap chatchkas around this part of our lovely WORLD!! The TEZLA pre-order and the chatchkas order were part of the SAME order. STUPID ME!! now i know better

The cheap chatchkas came right away, of course.

The TEZLA part of the order was erroneously marked as Shipped. I did not notice this until recently, or if i did, i paid it no mind, since i have seen this happen in the past with DECENT retailers who still were able to not screw up the pre-order when the time for shipping it actually rolled around in the REAL WORLD!!

Production of TEZLA was delayed, and was not shipped to anybody until August 14. I waited patiently for my copy all these months. To no avail, of course. MINIATUREMARKET completely SUCKS rear end, and not in a good way, sorry, gentle readers.

I complained to their support department via email. At the time, they showed TEZLA as being IN STOCK. I told them to hurry, so that TEZLA would not run out of stock before they shipped me my LONG-AGO-PAID-FOR-ITEM!!!

They said they would try to expedite it as fast as humanly possible. THEY LIED!!! Nothing happened!!! NADA

A week later, NOTHING, and TEZLA is now NOT IN STOCK ANYMORE!!!

I DEMAND A REFUND ASAP, MINIATUREMARKET, so that I can @#$#$@#-ing BUY TEZLA from FUNAGAIN before it RUNS OUT OF STOCK THERE T-O-O!!!!! Are you reading my lips yet???

@#$@#$@-ing LAME-rear end ANTI-BUSINESS = MINIATUREMARKET FOREVER!!!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
linky

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

i hope ashes flops massively and z-man dismantles plaid hat

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Scyther posted:

It will don't worry. The card pool is laughably small and the release schedule is so slow that the game was DOA.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
I just posted the following in the bgg page of the Fury of Dracula third edition.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1422029/third-edition-bashing-thread

I'm posting it here as well as it has to do with the second edition, so... here it goes:

I have a copy of the second edition in english (I didn't overpay for it, whatever the heck that means. But I bought it for 50 bucks years ago). I'll have an excuse to buy the new edition if they release it in portuguese as well.

That being said, it was a dick move by FFG.

I can just imagine how people that bought the second edition for 100+ dollars just some month or two ago feel. FFG could have prevented all this by simply telling everyone they were working on a new edition.

EDIT: If you feel this seems out of context, you can find the original post on page 1 of the following thread:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1414952/new-cover-art

Then I had this idea: there should be a thread for people that are hating the idea of a new edition, either because they've paid a lot for the second edition, or because they feel that suddenly their game is obsolete.

So there you go. Feel free to hate the new edition in this thread!

EDIT: I know there are a lot of people here that are loving the idea of a third edition. I was really trying to encourage people that don't to talk about it free of reproach.

EDIT 2: I'm finding it hillarious that some are calling me a dumb troll, while the following thread gets all kinds of love:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1409348/i-am-only-one-having-fun-contacting-ebay-sellers-t

The General
Mar 4, 2007

So instead they could have announced it the other month, but then people who just spent a lot of money would still complain "Why didn't they announce it sooner?"

Basically, if you bought a used game for a lot of money, and then it gets reprinted, ohwell. Not much you can do about it. It is a fact of life. Like buying games on Steam when they're not on sale.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You sound like a crybaby tbh. Not FFGs fault. Also, the bgg forums are terrrrrrrible (including your threads).

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Nobody cares, quit buying OOP stuff if you're that thin-skinned

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

guys, guys, i dont think thats him on bgg

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

it me; i am the trolled

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Ahh yes, notorious boardgame troll rutibex bottom liner tekopo 4outof5

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

im no troll, you just cant handle the truth

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Tekopo posted:

im no troll, you just cant handle the truth

poo poo that trolls say dot txt

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Scyther posted:

people are still raving about this thing after having actually played it idgi

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

is eminent domain out of print or could i order it through my flgs

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's still on Amazon so you should be able to.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Could someone speed up the distribution of codenames so i can buy it thanks in advance

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

So, I was playing Settlers with two other friends. And at some point one of us hit the 10 victory point win condition. Now at this point we all said lets push the same game to 15 victory points, and close to the endgame (one was at 14 points and the other at 12) one of us was able to take away 2 points from both of the leading players. They did this by gaining longest road and largest army, now the person who did this had put the others in a position where they could not gain anymore points and therefore not achieve the win condition. The person however who did could feasibly do so.

My argument is that the person who did so ended up inadvertently out-playing the other two people. Another person argued that the game was either broken to begin with or we had all inadvertently broke the game on the basis that the game should never be in position where it is impossible for a player to win. Their solution was to continue the game by creating more road pieces or allowing turning settlements to cities (despite a lack of actual city pieces left) to allow the two people who got put into a deadlock the possibility of victory. Obviously there was disagreement, the person who wanted to continue the game argued that the game should be able to be won without pieces like longest road or largest army because their only there to help boost points.

The counter was that those pieces are part of the game and a part of the nature of the game, and those who were in deadlock inadvertently put themselves in this position as well as being put into this position. Keep in mind, that pushing it to 15 victory points was still within the games capability (i.e. everyone has the possibility to gain the necessary fifteen points) and it was also brought up that the total possible victory points achievable would only give 1 point of leeway to each player since there are 48 total points that are achievable.

My question is, who are you inclined to agree with? And is this just a demonstration of the game's limitations or part of the competitive nature of the game?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Source your ghost quotes or we'll all think you're dumb as hell too

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
stand by your fakeposts until someone actually googles it because its a lot funnier that way imho

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
using google to figure out if something's a fakepost is really lame. they're typically obvious just by looking at them, and even if they aren't, looking up spoilers ruins the fun.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

my favourite was posting the 'using ftfy on one of my posts is a breach of my constitutional rights' in the bad thread and someone believing that i had posted that earnestly

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
what kind of beta loser agrees to push the game to 15 points when they already have 10, and have won?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
it's so that later he can be more smug when picking up chicks

"yeah babe, I once won Catan by whole 10 points"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

it's so that later he can be more smug when picking up chicks

"yeah babe, I once won Catan by whole 10 points"
you are single arent you?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

let's just say i'm boardsexual

cause i got a PBEM wife from ukraine

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

which dirty imps are up for another game of tm, pbem style

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Bubble-T posted:

So, I was playing Settlers with two other friends. And at some point one of us hit the 10 victory point win condition. Now at this point we all said lets push the same game to 15 victory points, and close to the endgame (one was at 14 points and the other at 12) one of us was able to take away 2 points from both of the leading players. They did this by gaining longest road and largest army, now the person who did this had put the others in a position where they could not gain anymore points and therefore not achieve the win condition. The person however who did could feasibly do so.

My argument is that the person who did so ended up inadvertently out-playing the other two people. Another person argued that the game was either broken to begin with or we had all inadvertently broke the game on the basis that the game should never be in position where it is impossible for a player to win. Their solution was to continue the game by creating more road pieces or allowing turning settlements to cities (despite a lack of actual city pieces left) to allow the two people who got put into a deadlock the possibility of victory. Obviously there was disagreement, the person who wanted to continue the game argued that the game should be able to be won without pieces like longest road or largest army because their only there to help boost points.

The counter was that those pieces are part of the game and a part of the nature of the game, and those who were in deadlock inadvertently put themselves in this position as well as being put into this position. Keep in mind, that pushing it to 15 victory points was still within the games capability (i.e. everyone has the possibility to gain the necessary fifteen points) and it was also brought up that the total possible victory points achievable would only give 1 point of leeway to each player since there are 48 total points that are achievable.

My question is, who are you inclined to agree with? And is this just a demonstration of the game's limitations or part of the competitive nature of the game?

Obv at the point where the win comdition was hosed you pause the game, put in another expansion, and restart from there. That's what I always do in my solo six investigators arkham games

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Fellis posted:

Obv at the point where the win comdition was hosed you pause the game, put in another expansion, and restart from there. That's what I always do in my solo six investigators arkham games

how about investigators lost in time and space are instead transported to talisman "dimension" and may return to arkham only after winning the crown of command???

ofc you'd spawn on the timescape board

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

ok, it's time to inject some positivity in the thread

one of many things i enjoy about star wars lcg is that they have recently printed a card set themed around hutt-backed illegal hoverbike street racing. it is called "nar shaddaa drift" and :iia:.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Tekopo posted:

which dirty imps are up for another game of tm, pbem style

Hi

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I've been playing Dunglords Festival Season.

gently caress bards, seriously.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Saw a 3 bard party once

nothing died

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
stop reposting stupid poo poo from other websites please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jabor posted:

using google to figure out if something's a fakepost is really lame. they're typically obvious just by looking at them, and even if they aren't, looking up spoilers ruins the fun.

I only don't bother because I don't know most posters well enough. This game has all the thrill of when I found out Deep Throat was some guy I'd never heard of instead of some other guy I'd never heard of.

• Locked thread