Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

And Nagato is too intimidated to actually take a sip. Beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Remote Island Syndrome is my favorite story of the series, especially with how Part 2 plays out

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

In Training posted:

Remote Island Syndrome is my favorite story of the series, especially with how Part 2 plays out

Yeah. Monday is going to be a treat with Mysterique Sign before it too.

I'm enjoying this rewatch more than most currently airing shows.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Something small I'd like to bring up.

Kyon's the only member of the SOS Brigade not somehow obligated to be a part of the club. Mikuru, Itsuki, and Yuki all have reasons that compel them to be there, but Kyon could walk out any time he wanted.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I loving love that cut, and it's loops really well

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I've always subscribed to the theory that there is more significant about Kyon beyond being the protagonist, but we'll get to that. Course, since the books are incomplete, we'll never get a concrete answer but it's something interesting to debate out.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Drawing a convincing fish eye lens shot is pretty cool. You rarely see the choice in animation, only other example I can think of is some of Shinji's internal arguments in NGE.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Allarion posted:

I've always subscribed to the theory that there is more significant about Kyon beyond being the protagonist, but we'll get to that. Course, since the books are incomplete, we'll never get a concrete answer but it's something interesting to debate out.

I started to think that myself while actually reading the first LN. The one thing that the first LN goes into more detail than the anime on is that Kyon really is Haruhi's camarade in general boredom and disillusionment. Until he went to high school, he was convinced of the existence of all the same things Haruhi is, and made a conscious decision to no longer believe in them. Indeed, Haruhi is the very embodiment of his inner child. It's not such a stretch to believe that Kyon himself is the god and created Haruhi et al. His reality could be just so far outside the plane of the universe that not even the Integrated Data Entity can notice that something is wrong is wrong around him in addition to Haruhi, or Haruhi might just be the vector by which Kyon effects change. The conclusion of Endless Eight gives some evidence to this effect as well.

From the perspective of specifically the anime, though, I think Kyon is probably intended to solely be the protagonist and a foil for the wacky girl.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That possibility is always toyed with in the show as well though. Especially in Disappearance.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Allarion posted:

The latest LNs has made this very obviously the reality.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kytrarewn posted:

I started to think that myself while actually reading the first LN. The one thing that the first LN goes into more detail than the anime on is that Kyon really is Haruhi's camarade in general boredom and disillusionment. Until he went to high school, he was convinced of the existence of all the same things Haruhi is, and made a conscious decision to no longer believe in them. Indeed, Haruhi is the very embodiment of his inner child. It's not such a stretch to believe that Kyon himself is the god and created Haruhi et al. His reality could be just so far outside the plane of the universe that not even the Integrated Data Entity can notice that something is wrong is wrong around him in addition to Haruhi, or Haruhi might just be the vector by which Kyon effects change. The conclusion of Endless Eight gives some evidence to this effect as well.

From the perspective of specifically the anime, though, I think Kyon is probably intended to solely be the protagonist and a foil for the wacky girl.

There's little things that the anime included that could have been followed up on. There's also the matter of Disappearance, and Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, but we'll get to that later.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think it ultimately matters who's in power, but how everybody deals with it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm not even sure if it's about how everyone deals with it, though that's fun too. I might attempt to make a post about it later on, since the matter won't actually come up till most of season 1 is over. Kyon's an interesting dude though, since his actions don't always match up with his narration or his stated beliefs. I will say though that there probably was an intended reason for why we never get to know Kyon's real name which is somewhat thematically important to the series.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Without saying too much (we still know so little) part of the ambiguity is that there are many kinds of power

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

For the weirdos watching the dub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwG-Kg_JDdk

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus is killin it itt

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

And gosh I love that sick James Brown ripoff cue every time

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 22, 2015

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I don't remember this show being this good a decade ago. Is that on me or the fact that I'm watching it in english this time? I don't have any long winded complaints this time, I have the opposite.

- I can't lie, haruhi is pretty cute in these episodes. Kyon is actually kinda getting a backbone too, so there goes my only real beefs with the entire show (for now, anyway).

- I have to again really praise this shows character building. There are so many trashy anime highschooler series that wouldn't know subtlety if it turkey slapped them, but this show has a fantastic sense of direction and for little moments that make a greater picture.

- In particular I really can't gush enough about how this show is handling haruhi's obvious infatuation with kyon, and the fact that they aren't rubbing it in the viewers nose. Most anime series are full of stupid bullshit where the characters act more like literal children instead of teenagers, but this series has so far completely avoided this crap and I can't respect that enough. This might sound like I'm damming the series with faint praise but I'm seriously stoked about the non-terrible manner in which this is going down.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

darealkooky posted:

I don't remember this show being this good a decade ago. Is that on me or the fact that I'm watching it in english this time? I don't have any long winded complaints this time, I have the opposite.

- I can't lie, haruhi is pretty cute in these episodes. Kyon is actually kinda getting a backbone too, so there goes my only real beefs with the entire show (for now, anyway).

- I have to again really praise this shows character building. There are so many trashy anime highschooler series that wouldn't know subtlety if it turkey slapped them, but this show has a fantastic sense of direction and for little moments that make a greater picture.

- In particular I really can't gush enough about how this show is handling haruhi's obvious infatuation with kyon, and the fact that they aren't rubbing it in the viewers nose. Most anime series are full of stupid bullshit where the characters act more like literal children instead of teenagers, but this series has so far completely avoided this crap and I can't respect that enough. This might sound like I'm damming the series with faint praise but I'm seriously stoked about the non-terrible manner in which this is going down.

I don't know if the english is the reason, but I'm glad that you are starting to enjoy it. I think you will definitely like the movie, as it's even better at addressing those 3 points than the tv show

The first point is also explored more readily in the second season, so that's something to look forward to

Linnaeus fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 22, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Huh, apparently Dowman Sayman wrote a Haruhi doujin. Surprisingly enough for him, it's totally work safe, and it's spoiler-free for folks who've watched as far as we have. I think it works very well for us having just watched the first half of Remote Island Syndrome.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Lmfao

When you are on the first page don't click the left side of the screen

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Linnaeus posted:

Lmfao

oh my. This is good advice, unless one is after these tags:

Big breasts Boob sex Haruhi x Mikuru Lots of sex NSFW Yuri

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

That was a cute ending though

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Linnaeus posted:

Lmfao

Now, honestly, when you say something like that... :colbert:

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hm.

So we've got alien, a time traveller, and an Esper. I'm wondering if they're actually independent entities with genuine interest in Haruhi, or if Haruhi just dreamed them up to begin with.
Now think back to the first episode, the student film Haruhi was in charge of.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Catching up now, the first episodes is so good, why have I not watched this since it first aired?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Linnaeus posted:

Lmfao

or hit the left arrow key on your keyboard since it does the same thing!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

Drawing a convincing fish eye lens shot is pretty cool. You rarely see the choice in animation, only other example I can think of is some of Shinji's internal arguments in NGE.

Kyoani loves its artificial barrel distortion, but yeah we never get as extreme as we do at Yuki's place

this particular shot is less lens simulation and more of a weird hyperreal twisty tilty thing.

some people want to have sex with haruhi, mikuru, kyon, and so on but my twisted fantasy is having screens of every wideshot of the clubroom

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 22, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

pretty compositions from melancholy 2 and 3:

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I don't like that one so much because the undistorted table looks really out of place

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Yeah I don't know if I like it or not. It's weird and unrealistic and gives an odd weight to the frame. Might be intentional or they might've just missed it. I like the unrealism and asymmetry but it's... not pretty

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 23, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

.jpg posted:

I don't like that one so much because the undistorted table looks really out of place

much like your posting!!!!!!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

It's like 'hi I'm a big rectangle in the middle of all these soft curved lines.' It would be terrible except it's kinda funny?

The whole room is actually pretty bizarre, the left and right sides are distorted differently, some pieces of furniture are flat and some aren't, it's just a strange shot all around

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 23, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I rewatched the second half of Disappearance today and it's still good

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

.jpg posted:

Well now that you mention it... :argh:

Speaking of worthwhile background art and details, I'm still struggling with whether I can/should stomach through the creep of post-bake monogataris for the rich visual splendor... and Senjougahara... and Kanbaru.

And more of Horie Yui talking like a cat badass.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ferretts posted:

Speaking of worthwhile background art and details, I'm still struggling with whether I can/should stomach through the creep of post-bake monogataris for the rich visual splendor... and Senjougahara... and Kanbaru.

they are so gorgeous though

but yeah i would never blame anyone for dropping it. i did so myself several times before picking it back up. fwiw, nisemonogatari is the worst by far

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nise might be the weakest season, but Kaiki is the best.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I had forgot my DVD's at a friends and had to retrieve them. I was so close to not leaving the house today too :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Ferretts posted:

The answer is unequivocally 'yes' to watching them, but an equally unequivocal 'no' to postiing about them on SA because any discussion thereof will only produce the worst kinds of holier-than-thou goon shitposting.

For whatever it's worth, though, other than one 2 minute segment in Monogatari S2, the worst of the creepiness is in Bake.

• Locked thread