Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Most Android keyboards already have that, FYI.

And by most, I mean every one out of the four I've tried.

SwiftKey is by far the best one I've tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Hey I've got a question about income brackets in marketing. I know there are some people who post here who work in, or are familiar with, marketing research. I've noticed that a lot of marketing surveys tend to put income into fairly wide brackets. I wonder what is the usefulness of this information? For example, the question is usually something like "What is your annual household income?" And the option will be something like
  • $0-$24,999
  • $25,000-$49,000
  • $50,000-$74,999
  • $75,000-$99,999
  • over $100,000

I would imagine the spending habits of a household with a $25k annual income would be greatly different from one that makes $49k. Do they divide the income up in 25k brackets for a good reason or is it useless info?

I see the same thing with ages. For example, I often see a 35-50 bracket. I'm having trouble believing that a 50 year old's money spending or shopping habits or whatever are the same as a 35 year old's.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I have hands big enough that I thought the XBox Duke controller was perfectly comfortable for me and I still have no trouble at all typing on a touch screen. Is it because my fingers are long but not fat, or did you all spend like 5 minutes trying and go "This sucks, I'll never use it again!".

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I won't be satisfied with the phone market until flip phones are cool again. :colbert:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
gently caress that, gimme Get Smart shoephones. Complete with the antenna.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What's with the mutants trying to touch type on their phones? Do you guys have little doll hands or something?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Karma Monkey posted:

Hey I've got a question about income brackets in marketing. I know there are some people who post here who work in, or are familiar with, marketing research. I've noticed that a lot of marketing surveys tend to put income into fairly wide brackets. I wonder what is the usefulness of this information? For example, the question is usually something like "What is your annual household income?" And the option will be something like
  • $0-$24,999
  • $25,000-$49,000
  • $50,000-$74,999
  • $75,000-$99,999
  • over $100,000

I would imagine the spending habits of a household with a $25k annual income would be greatly different from one that makes $49k. Do they divide the income up in 25k brackets for a good reason or is it useless info?

I see the same thing with ages. For example, I often see a 35-50 bracket. I'm having trouble believing that a 50 year old's money spending or shopping habits or whatever are the same as a 35 year old's.

It's an extremely outdated model for predicting buying habits in trends that Ivy league marketing grads are forced to learn about and memorize and therefore all the major companies use it.

Like how millenial marketing has resulted in a bunch of hilarious attempts to make something cool and hip but came off as pandering the information saturation, changing economic circumstances, and student loan debt have created a new class of 22-30 year olds who's buying habits are 100% different then their parents and in all likely hood even if they make in the $50-75k range paying down $200k in debt with take 15-20 years and in that time they aren't likely to buy new cars, purchase a house, put away money for savings, etc. that people would routinely do 15 years ago.

Most business aren't prepared to face a new technically well-off class of people with as much disposable income as people who work full time for a little above minimum wage and are scrambling for ways to make people spend $$$ the way their parents did.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Karma Monkey posted:

• $0-$24,999
  • $25,000-$49,000
  • $50,000-$74,999
  • $75,000-$99,999
  • over $100,000

Having used most of the demographic/psychographic/behavioral marketing data out there typically those are the more general and therefore useless brackets while there is also much narrower, 5/10k at a time brackets going up to around 250,000k. Neither set is necessarily super useful in and of itself. For an example; you may make 200,000k+ but if you fall into "has less than $1 million in investible assets" you're still a hard pass by a lot of investment groups. Conversely, some refinance companies get that there do exists markets of heavily leveraged mid-incomes and look for things like property ownership and loans owned to determine if you're the right person to reach out to.

As for age, typically brackets go 18, 19, 20, 21-24, 25-29, 30-34, etc etc etc and you only start lumping in age groups together to build larger pools of people. So its not that 35-50 is a bracket that is measured itself but currently its a common age range for certain goods. It can be interesting to see the movement of products through age brackets over time, things that were popular with a specific generation may keep that same 15 year spread but the age of the people in that spread keeps rolling on.

Target segmentation often feels a bit like being a criminal profiler, especially when you start including behavioral data into the equation.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Phonechat: try left thumb and right index finger. With autocorrect catching mistakes I can type about 2/3 as fast as on a keyboard. Left hand hold the phone with right hand, uh, sorta coming off te side so that the fingers coming from above? Hard to describe, I'd grab a picture if I wasn't talking about how to hold the thing used to take them with two hands.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Cleretic posted:

This is largely unrelated, but I'm still pissed that this is the direction the market went. I loving hate touchscreens, especially on phones because hey, Nokia was right, they're really error-prone, and not just when typing. But good luck getting a good phone with a non-touchscreen interface these days, or better yet no touchscreen at all.

I'm still sticking with a phone from like 2009 that can barely use any apps, because at least it has a loving keyboard.
It's especially annoying with MP3 players, where touch controls don't actually add anything and are a pain in the rear end to use in situations where you can't keep looking at the screen (like when you're driving).

When my old iPod finally died, I had to buy one of those ones the size of a goddamn postage stamp just to get one with actual physical buttons.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.
So you want a modern phone with a keyboard? BlackBerry's got you covered.

WebDog posted:

Well Nokia is still going strong in 2240! :v:

This movie (the 2009 Star Trek reboot) has the best examples of bad movie product placement and good movie product placement that I know of. The bad product placement is the above Nokia phone, mounted in a classic Corvette, breaking up the action with the classic Nokia ringtone out of nowhere. Stupid and annoying.

On the flipside, there's Budweiser. JJ Abrams decided Engineering needed to look more technical, so he filmed Scotty running around a Budweiser brewery. In order to use the brewery, they agreed to plug Budweiser in the movie. So alternate-reality gently caress up Kirk walks into a bar where Cadet Uhura and her friends are hanging out. There's a Budweiser sign in the background of the bar (like just about any dive bar in America) and Uhura orders a Budweiser in the middle of a long list of drinks. That's it. Realistic scenario, scene actually moves the story on, product placement doesn't feel like a plug.

e: For gently caress's sake, I just noticed how bad the screen image is aligned in the phone.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Crow Jane posted:

Ha. Yeah, that's pretty bad, but the app itself is pretty okay. Certainly better than typing each letter individually.

That's for sure. I didn't even know swype existed until I poured hot bacon grease all over my left thumb about four years ago, knocking it out of commission, and then the friend who drove me to the ear told me about it. I can't even fathom typing on a small screen without it anymore.

I typed this post on my iPad, which I installed swype on but it won't stay active for some reason. It's annoying, but a larger screen so less so. I did just buy a proper keyboard for this thing though, for when I'm not lying in bed.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Dr_Amazing posted:

What's with the mutants trying to touch type on their phones? Do you guys have little doll hands or something?

Seriously. One thumb to swipe, one on standby to manually type anything that doesn't come up automatically. It won't get you 90 wpm, but it's perfectly fine for writing an email or texting.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CommonShore posted:

:arghfist::tizzy:

Touchscreens.

Seriously, is this what it's like to be an old person? Because I'm only twenty-three, but this feels like what I expect 'back in my day' rage to feel like.

It's not even that typing's the only issue with touchscreens (although it's certainly a big one, I loving hate touchscreen typing), actually using them to navigate is bullshit too, they're unresponsive when I actually want to use them, decide to push things when I'm just trying to let them sit still, and inaccurate whenever I'm trying to push anything. My old computer had a touchscreen monitor, and it was the shittiest thing. My phone's touchscreen is actually worse, but at least it has buttons so I don't have to rely on it and hope it works.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Aug 22, 2015

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So is everybody here like my dad where instead of touching the touchscreen, you try to jab it? I've really never had a problem with them.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
touchscreens are garbage because i havent used one since 1996 and they cant possibly have gotten better

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

So is everybody here like my dad where instead of touching the touchscreen, you try to jab it? I've really never had a problem with them.

That may be due to experience with the old resistive touchscreens, where you had to press hard enough to bend the screen slightly. The newer capacitive screens don't need any pressure at all, just contact.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Seriously, is this what it's like to be an old person? Because I'm only twenty-three, but this feels like what I expect 'back in my day' rage to feel like.

It's not even that typing's the only issue with touchscreens (although it's certainly a big one, I loving hate touchscreen typing), actually using them to navigate is bullshit too, they're unresponsive when I actually want to use them, decide to push things when I'm just trying to let them sit still, and inaccurate whenever I'm trying to push anything. My old computer had a touchscreen monitor, and it was the shittiest thing. My phone's touchscreen is actually worse, but at least it has buttons so I don't have to rely on it and hope it works.

Don't forget being bumped and accidentally swiping something on your phone screen, closing whatever you're doing and opening a weather app or something at the same time.
Dropped your phone? Oh no. Caught it? Cool. But you've now opened a random app/ sent a half typed message/ clicked an ad.
Or when a large ad that takes up considerable screen space on your web browser has a 50/50 chance of being clicked or successfully scrolled past.

I wouldn't mind something that only reacts to a stylus, as long as the stylus is easily replaceable.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

hyperhazard posted:

Seriously. One thumb to swipe, one on standby to manually type anything that doesn't come up automatically. It won't get you 90 wpm, but it's perfectly fine for writing an email or texting.

Yeah, gently caress that. I'm with the other tards above, I'm 31, and not only is the method you mention way the gently caress slower than touch-typing on a physical keyboard, I don't have to worry about opening JDate and sending off a random message because I butterfinger the phone. Certain things are better suited for physical haptics. You might end up being able to do it with more precision, but I highly doubt the actual speed and accuracy of Swype/Swiftkey will get anywhere near it soon. And I've used Swype/Swiftkey since they were invented. They're somewhat optimal solutions for sub-par interfaces for text input.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How are you people so terrible at using your phones?

Also, you are not supposed to write essays on your phone.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
We're watching crotchety grandpas being born right before our very eyes in this thread

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Hold your phone in your left hand. Type with your right index finger. It's not that hard. Auto correct will figure it out even if you're hitting wrong keys half the time.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Holy gently caress you guys are grumpy over new things. Im almost 30 with fat fingers and i can touchscreen type fine.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
I prefer swyping while standing up. Swyping while sitting down is gross and wrong.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

AtomD posted:

I prefer swyping while standing up. Swyping while sitting down is gross and wrong.

:golfclap: I want to make some joke about screen protectors and circumcision but I'm not funny enough.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Always peel off the screen cover that comes with your phone as soon as you get it, otherwise stuff gets stuck under it.

Sensitivity doesn't enter into it, it's a matter of hygiene.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The biggest thing really is that people that actually know how to touch type very fast kind of need the tactile feeling of buttons. That's how touch typing actually works.

What? Touch typing is knowing where the keys are from muscle memory and using the correct finger for each area of the keyboard to improve speed and efficiency. Try sitting at a table with a piece of paper and pretending to type on it - if you can touch type you'll be able to draw out a diagram of a QWERTY keyboard because your fingers will know where the keys are.

I hold my iPhone horizontally and type with my thumbs and now they know where the buttons are. The only limitation is that the phone isn't fast enough to keep up with me...

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

KozmoNaut posted:

SwiftKey is by far the best one I've tried.

I grew up in the halcyon days of T9, and I guess as a result of that my thumbs don't like software keyboards. Swiftkey does a really good job at adapting to your stupid thumbs, you just have to use it for longer than two days or however long all the grumpy thirtysomethings in this thread spent with a touch screen five years ago.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

duckmaster posted:

What? Touch typing is knowing where the keys are from muscle memory and using the correct finger for each area of the keyboard to improve speed and efficiency. Try sitting at a table with a piece of paper and pretending to type on it - if you can touch type you'll be able to draw out a diagram of a QWERTY keyboard because your fingers will know where the keys are.

I hold my iPhone horizontally and type with my thumbs and now they know where the buttons are. The only limitation is that the phone isn't fast enough to keep up with me...

Yeah this is why I don't get why people are trying to touch type on their phones. If you're trying to cram both your hands into the home row on your iphone, of course you're going to find it hard to type. But a tiny physical keyboard wouldn't be any different.

Dr_Amazing has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Aug 22, 2015

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

This thread got so weird with all this "kids these days and their darn touch screens!" rants.

It took me a bit to get used to typing on a touchscreen (hint: you do it with two thumbs. yes it's harder if you're only holding your phone with one hand but do you really need to hammer something out that bad at that moment then?) but now that I'm used to it I have no problem using it, and I wouldn't say my typing speed is bad. I've also never had issues with modern phones not being sensitive enough?

I just don't get the big deal. Like... it's really not that bad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

duckmaster posted:

If that were how it worked you could only type on a keyboard the exact size you're used to. Feel is a big part of it.

Radio Help posted:

I grew up in the halcyon days of T9, and I guess as a result of that my thumbs don't like software keyboards. Swiftkey does a really good job at adapting to your stupid thumbs, you just have to use it for longer than two days or however long all the grumpy thirtysomethings in this thread spent with a touch screen five years ago.
I used T9 for ages and adjusting to touchscreen isn't that hard (especially with swype or whatever). The only issue I've had is now I've gotten used to a tablet and don't use my phone much and the difference between the two makes my phone typing poo poo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

duckmaster posted:

Partially true; since different keyboards are put together differently a lot of it is adapting the motions to whatever you're typing on. You find your home keys, change your finger movements appropriately, and change for the hardware. Phone keyboards were tiny so I used fewer fingers (or just thumbs) but once I got it figured out I could hammer out texts as quickly as I typed on a computer keyboard. But the thing of it is, touch typing requires a tactile sense of where the keys are to make sure you're doing it right. You can memorize the locations of keys sure but without the feeling of a button responding and being able to figure out where your fingers are just by feeling the object you can't really touch type properly. A touch screen is a flat thing that's the same all over. You have to actually look at it to make sure you're not loving up.

With touch typing you should be able to walk up to a keyboard blind and figure out how to type on it relatively quickly. It's why F and J have those little nubs on them. My old cell phone had them too. You might make a few mistakes if you're typing totally blind but an accurate typer can do it right with very high accuracy. Touch screens don't have such things and it's easy to get off track and not really know where you are. With a keyboard, because it has buttons, you know where you're hands are and can easily get them back where they need to be without looking.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Best touchscreen keyboard I've used was Minimum for Android or iOS. It's 90% predictive, 10% accuracy. You will literally look at absolute garbage on the screen until you hit the last letter of your word and suddenly it autocorrects. Allows for lightning fast typing with reasonable accuracy.

Unfortunately iOS is still rear end when it comes to 3rd party keyboards and I had to go back to the default keyboard since the custom one wouldn't work about 1/5th of the time. Maybe iOS 9 will be better.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I don't care if it makes me a grandpa, I'll always want a keyboard on my phone. It lets me type quickly with no errors and without having to support it conditionally.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Flip phones are so much more fashionable though, saying as a younging.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Captainsalami posted:

Holy gently caress you guys are grumpy over new things. Im almost 30 with fat fingers and i can touchscreen type fine.

I don't have fat fingers, but I have big hands with wide fingertips. My touchscreen keeps thinking I'm putting down two fingers to zoom my screen :(

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Phones are for calling, not for typing! :corsair:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

Flip phones are so much more fashionable though, saying as a younging.

Blackberry made a flip phone. They didn't sell many of them, but omg it looked awesome.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/18/rim-releases-9670-flip-phone-on-sprint/

Apparently it sucked rear end. But man, that form factor looks practical as gently caress.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MizPiz posted:

I don't care if it makes me a grandpa, I'll always want a keyboard on my phone. It lets me type quickly with no errors and without having to support it conditionally.

Exactly, this is frankly very simple. I type better and faster with a keyboard, and have less navigation mistakes when a touchscreen is completely omitted. Maybe touchscreens work better for some people, but from my point of view they're all inferior to just having buttons and all of the apps and typing styles suggested to help it just seem to implicitly agree with 'yeah, we know that touchscreens are inherently worse for typing than a physical keyboard, but they're not being made anymore so gently caress it'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Krispy Kareem posted:

Blackberry made a flip phone. They didn't sell many of them, but omg it looked awesome.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/18/rim-releases-9670-flip-phone-on-sprint/

Apparently it sucked rear end. But man, that form factor looks practical as gently caress.

I remember really wanting a Samsung SPH-N270