Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Methinks you guys are getting way too riled up about what is largely a joke panel set in an alternate universe with an entirely different creative team than the normal Squirrel Girl book. But clearly you have some issues to work out towards this squirrel-powered girl so maybe you should whine about it for a couple of pages wait never mind please do the opposite.

New Warriors #5: The New Warriors just beat the High Evolutionary.

The perfect talking cat and dog.

Is the girl in yellow related to MACH at all? Her jetpack looks a lot like his.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't know how I never noticed Blackbolt's silver garter belt accents before but now it's all I can see

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Shutter has these great little shorts at the end of each issue.

Shutter #1

Shutter #2

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm not sure which would be a better avatar from that last page, the Tiger or the "Old Salty" can of stuff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The tiger. Mostly because you've got instant under-avatar text right there.

PUT FIRE ON HOUSE?
DRIVE-BY BONER?
KILLED A GUY?
CALL NOW 1-555-TIGER

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DRIVE BY BONER
KILLED A DUDE
High End Glisten
CALL NOW 1-555-TIGER

By jove I think I've got it!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
This is one of my favorite moments in comics.

http://imgur.com/a/qHH9s

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I have to say that the utterly horrified and broken look on Captain Marvel's face kinda moves that from funny to 'incredibly disturbing' to me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I have to say that the utterly horrified and broken look on Captain Marvel's face kinda moves that from funny to 'incredibly disturbing' to me.

Well, I think the second panel of the wide eyes is supposed to be "Oh poo poo, I just said that out loud while one of my BFFs is having contractions".

I'd lay even odds on it coming up during Spider-Woman soon too.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

what in the gently caress

"hey tell that story about the time you gave birth to your own rapist :D"

anyway more shutter

Shutter #3 :(

Shutter #3

'Landspeed still ain't enough to outrun the mob. Or a hole in the desert.'

Shutter #4

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gaz-L posted:

Well, I think the second panel of the wide eyes is supposed to be "Oh poo poo, I just said that out loud while one of my BFFs is having contractions".

I'd lay even odds on it coming up during Spider-Woman soon too.

It looks like "lost in extremely traumatic memories" to me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

She's wearing a mask.

AnonSpore posted:

It looks like "lost in extremely traumatic memories" to me.

She ends by making a joke.

Prawn Salad
Dec 7, 2010

I-I still think you're cool,
Onii-chan...

DoubleDonut posted:

Here's what I want to whine about : How come when the artist changes, those two have their designs completely changed? Obviously a new artist is gonna have a different style, but Jake is clearly a beagle there and then he turns out looking like this:

And that's not even close to a beagle.

Now if you'll excuse me I've got some clouds to shake my fist at

is that a loving road rover

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I see it's a busy town reference, I don't understand what the rest of it means.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 21, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure why that's Richard Scarry.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I aughta read Shutter.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

goatface posted:

I'm not sure why that's Richard Scarry.

Because it's funny and talking animals already feature predominantly.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I really wish the trades of Shutter collected the backups. I don't know why I find that Busytown sequence so funny but it always makes me smile.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

She's wearing a mask.

It's almost like wide-eyed and staring off into space doesn't actually get hidden by a mask over your mouth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It's almost like wide-eyed and staring off into space doesn't actually get hidden by a mask over your mouth.

It's almost like your projecting you're own feelings onto the panels.

She's prodded into tell the story by her best friend who probably wouldn't have her bring up the most traumatic event in her life if it was something she wasn't past and then Carol ends the speech with a joke. This is not PTSD behavior.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 21, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

It's almost like your projecting you're own feelings onto the panels.

I enjoy that I'm apparently supposed to be offended or upset by the idea that I'm 'projecting my feelings' of a character looking unhappy as they describe their rape.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I enjoy that I'm apparently supposed to be offended or upset by the idea that I'm 'projecting my feelings' of a character looking unhappy as they describe their rape.

Do you enjoy being wrong? Because you are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Do you enjoy being wrong? Because you are.

I'm not really clear what your argument is here. Like even if you're completely right then it is a massively creepy rape joke where a writer tries to use the time a character was physically and emotionally abused as a punchline of "haha, well, you probably won't get raped by your child like I did!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not really clear what your argument is here. Like even if you're completely right then it is a massively creepy rape joke where a writer tries to use the time a character was physically and emotionally abused as a punchline of "haha, well, you probably won't get raped by your child like I did!"

If I told you it was Bendis would that answer your questions?

Anyway the joke isn't "haha I got raped" it's "haha old comics were hosed up, huh"

Like when we do the "Recommend Avengers #200" joke is it because we think it's funny that Carol got raped or that it's funny that Marvel published such a hosed up story back in the day.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 21, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

If I told you it was Bendis would that answer your questions?

Anyway the joke isn't "haha I got raped" it's "haha old comics were hosed up, huh"

Like when we do the "Recommend Avengers #200" joke is it because we think it's funny that Carol got raped or that it's funny that Marvel published such a hosed up story back in the day.

It's... not really 'old comics are hosed up' when a character is describing a thing that happened to them. Like yeah it happened in a hosed up old comic but it's not an in-joke to something now out of continuity, it's a character describing their rape that (in-story) actually happened to them.

Since Rape is very close to the Least Funny Thing there is, here is an example of old comics being hosed up in funny ways that is hopefully more on-topic.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

I miss the simple days of comics, when every other issue a hero had to deal with was somehow gorilla related.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Pretty sure they instituted gorilla quotas to avoid wearing out the sales boost it provided, so it wasn't anywhere near that much.

also

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I miss the days we argued about Squirrel Girl...

Black Metal #1

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I aughta read Shutter.

You really should. This thread convinced me to, and I'm a better person for it.

Shutter #7

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Selachian posted:

You can see the rest here. (Warning: slideshow.)

That dude just plain ran out of time to make the mask, I'm guessing.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

He's blind, lay off him.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Because of course a team up between Deadpool and Rocket Raccoon would culminate in a shot at Liefeld.

Guardians Team Up #10

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is Rob super-into digital camo? I don't recall that being a thing.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Gaz-L posted:

I think CADPAT and MARPAT in pop culture post-date Rob's work, but he was definitely a fan of pouches.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'd wager the colorist just added that to distinguish the shirts from the wall.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Gaz-L posted:

No, that's from Si Spurrier's X-Force run. Cable was going full Solid Snake during that.

Edit: Here's a shot of Cable during the promotion for it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Two questions/comments:

--Is that Grodd, or is there another psychic gorilla?
--"Ripping up a fire hydrant would be fine, but since I was just told a gorilla is on a rampage this may be the same guy."

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Because of course a team up between Deadpool and Rocket Raccoon would culminate in a shot at Liefeld.

Guardians Team Up #10

'When in doubt, put it in a pouch' :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I can visualize Cable hunched over doing needlepoint in his off time.