Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
AV is really mob dense and you can Provoke pull the frogs outside of their tongue range so you can drag them really far from all that garbage in the first room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Axle_Stukov posted:

Bah who cares about the Odin set, TIN CAN TANKS RETURN!

Cockroach tank can't lift his arms, can't turn his head. I love you, cockroach tank.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

REINDEER SUIT

Also there are valid reasons to provoke pull, it's just not what your default "pull mob" button should be

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Eej posted:

AV is really mob dense and you can Provoke pull the frogs outside of their tongue range so you can drag them really far from all that garbage in the first room.

Yup. When you really have to get something's attention from half a room away (40 yalms) hurl an insult at them and THEN hit them with a shield/axe/sidequest angst bullet.

Also hooray a Pharos Sirius HM. Perhaps now people will stop looking at original Pharos Sirius as a black plague that insulted their entire family because they were bad rather than it being too hard (it was hard but not THAT hard.)

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Omnicrom posted:

"Multiple pieces of gear can be equipped with the Try On option": About drat time.

Will miracles never end: Multi-slot items can be glamoured. I expect a 5000% increase in the number of Odin glamours.

RETURN OF THE GHOST TANK

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Aww, lame. I thought since Koji would be sitting in, the lore thing would be bilingual. :smith:

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
The airship expeditions sound like fun, especially the ability to have gatherers come in and clean up after the combat guys kill monsters.

I was seeing comparisons to Dynamis, but I know gently caress all about FFXI. Anyone able to confirm if that's similar?

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Mo0 posted:

The airship expeditions sound like fun, especially the ability to have gatherers come in and clean up after the combat guys kill monsters.

I was seeing comparisons to Dynamis, but I know gently caress all about FFXI. Anyone able to confirm if that's similar?

Depending on how they implement it, it could have a similarity to Dynamis.

Dynamis was basically "Here is a large area with monsters. Go in and kill them, you have a limited amount of time", and then some of the monsters would be time extensions and somewhere there'd be a boss type monster.

I think they're really trying to capture the feel of "roaming around with a group of players beating up mobs as you go" that FFXIV does not otherwise encourage.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

Aww, lame. I thought since Koji would be sitting in, the lore thing would be bilingual. :smith:

at least he introduced himself as ZA GAIJIN

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Klades posted:

I think they're really trying to capture the feel of "roaming around with a group of players beating up mobs as you go" that FFXIV does not otherwise encourage.

Not quite "roaming" as it is linear, but choo choo nthan fate trains

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bismarck was water and wind, Ravana was fire and earth, so the new primal will probably be ice and lightning. Which is kind of an odd combination.

e: poo poo, just make it Thor

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 22, 2015

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Fister Roboto posted:

Bismarck was water and wind, Ravana was fire and earth, so the new primal will probably be ice and lightning. Which is kind of an odd combination.

e: poo poo, just make it Thor

I practically have money on it being Valigarmanda

I mean, think about what element he's associated with most due to how you find him, and then despite it being called Tri-Disaster, look at his summon attack

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I feel like the FF8 GF list can be a bit of a chat sheet. I haven't done Bismarck yet myself, but I'm guessing it's more akin to Quezacotl, so the next may be Pandemona

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If they drop ps3 support, I wonder if they'll do another world revamp to get the world deinstanced. Thought it would be more likely when still in 2.0 since it feels like 3.0 areas just have too much space between them.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
alright so now there are esoterics or some poo poo i have no idea what these are or how to farm them

send help i'm an idiot that can't do basic things

i basically have no gear anyway, so i need to gear from scratch, essentially.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Interesting statistics (they mean Completed, not Entered):

195k's a pretty healthy number of people clearing A4 at least once, especially since I know more than a few people who have yet to actually touch Alex.

Thumbtacks posted:

alright so now there are esoterics or some poo poo i have no idea what these are or how to farm them

send help i'm an idiot that can't do basic things

i basically have no gear anyway, so i need to gear from scratch, essentially.

They're the new poetics, which were the new soldiery, which were the new Mythology.

You get them the same way.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Says it all really. There are 2 different raids; 1-2 and 3-4.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If they drop ps3 support, I wonder if they'll do another world revamp to get the world deinstanced. Thought it would be more likely when still in 2.0 since it feels like 3.0 areas just have too much space between them.

In a way I quite like the instanced zones, since they're as small as they are. Helps me to suspend disbelief better, as opposed to WoW for example, where the entire world fits into a few square km. It makes sense to me that I'm only exploring parts of the world.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I really enjoy this game in general and i find a lot of its mechanics interesting (hunting log, the fighting mount, the red thread through the whole game that is the main quest, the teleport system, etc etc) which is why i keep trying different classes but i just can't seem to get comfortable with any of them. None of the classes i have tried so far are particularly fun (white mage at 35, arcanist at 20, archer at 20, marauder at 15, gladiator at 15)
I enjoy playing support classes, be it healer or tanks and bore easily with DPS classes, which is why i have been focusing on white mage. I don't think i can bear the white mage any longer though. In groups all i do is cure cure cure, with the occational group heal. People rarely need healing so most of the healing is overhealing EXCEPT SUDDENLY OUT OF THE BLUE SOMEONE GETS INSTANTLY KILLED so its like i always have to be on the alert for that occational chance that someone gets blown up with little to do in between. Its like wack-a-mole without any moles appearing except all 9 of them showing their face at once, occationally.
Someome suggested i use the healing downtime to DPS but i would have chosen a DPS class if i wanted to do that. If healers are supposed to dps in this game then i am not sure that healing is for me.

As for tanks the limited gameplay i have tried so far seems a tad more interesting but the overall pace of the game is slow. A global cooldown (to borrow the term from WoW) is 2.5 seconds in FFXIV which feels artificially slow to me. It also stresses me out that i do not have any self heals, being used to playing healers or hybrids for 15 years of MMO's. The tanks seem kinda same'y as well. I think the first 4 skills i got as a marauder and a as a gladiator were literally identical. Looking through their skill tree there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interesting skills.

I really want to find a class i can enjoy to the endgame as this game has a lot of potential and i am very fascinated by many of its mechanics but i am not sure how many more classes i will bother trying before calling quits

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 22, 2015

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

The tanks seem kinda same'y as well.

They aren't.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Both of those are valid complaints. While the GCD is what it is and there's nothing to be done about it, it's a fact that most classes only really open up as you approach the endgame. DPS classes I think are/were the worst for this but most classes suffer from it. Paladin and Warrior are very different tank classes at 60 but until you get to your job at minimum (that's at like 35 or so), Marauder and Gladiator can be kind of similar. Try out Scholar if you want to heal but WHM is boring you, it's different in a real and tangible way (summonable pets).

Healers are only really 'required' to DPS in Savage Alexander (read; extreme-difficulty raiding content), in anything else just healing is fine and DPSing as well is going a step above and beyond. It's a super-cool thing to learn to do but if a dude whines about the healer not DPSing in 4man dungeons or something just ignore them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ineptitude posted:

People rarely need healing so most of the healing is overhealing

This is a clue that cleric stance exists.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Healers don't have to dps outside of raid content, but it certainly helps cut down dungeon times immensely. The difference between a tam-tara where the healer does nothing and one where a sch dots the hell out of things is palpable.

Not sure why you are saying the game is too boring, and then refusing to utilize the one bit of complexity which makes healers interesting.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

And if dealing dps as a healer goes against your desire to be a support class, just think of it as putting a direct debuff against the enemy's remaining health, or falling that a small increase to the entire party's damage since the mobs die quicker

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ineptitude posted:

Someome suggested i use the healing downtime to DPS but i would have chosen a DPS class if i wanted to do that. If healers are supposed to dps in this game then i am not sure that healing is for me.

As for tanks the limited gameplay i have tried so far seems a tad more interesting but the overall pace of the game is slow. A global cooldown (to borrow the term from WoW) is 2.5 seconds in FFXIV which feels artificially slow to me. It also stresses me out that i do not have any self heals, being used to playing healers or hybrids for 15 years of MMO's. The tanks seem kinda same'y as well. I think the first 4 skills i got as a marauder and a as a gladiator were literally identical. Looking through their skill tree there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interesting skills.

I really want to find a class i can enjoy to the endgame as this game has a lot of potential and i am very fascinated by many of its mechanics but i am not sure how many more classes i will bother trying before calling quits

Healers should be dpsing. I don't think a healer who doesn't dps in dungeons is bad but I do roll my eyes and quietly hate them for being aggressively mediocre and lazy.

Tanks do not play similarly.

I cannot think of a class in this game that is interesting before level 30. Everything up to 30 is designed for people who don't know what mmorpg stands for. My advice to you is to learn to love cleric stance and tossing dots and stones around because now that you got regen you should need to do even less healing than before. If it's any consolation, once you get to 50 most dungeons will consist largely of a tank pulling multiple groups at once and you will have to spend a lot of time healing (the other time should be spent casting holy).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ineptitude posted:

Skills you gain from your class and job quests don't show up until you've completed those quests.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also hooray a Pharos Sirius HM. Perhaps now people will stop looking at original Pharos Sirius as a black plague that insulted their entire family because they were bad rather than it being too hard (it was hard but not THAT hard.)

Personally, I really liked Pharos. It hit like a grown-rear end man on release, but it didn't drag on for too long, mechanics were manageable, and I loved the dungeon/environment/ambiance. Also has the best dungeon music next to Research Facility.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I don't understand how people enjoy wow's GCD with all the buttons and longass complex rotations and animations that come very close to gmod flailing

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hivac posted:

I don't understand how people enjoy wow's GCD with all the buttons and longass complex rotations and animations that come very close to gmod flailing
I played a rogue which as I remember had an even shorter GCD. FF14's is downright relaxing. I have time to actually think about what I'm gonna do next!

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Zereth posted:

I played a rogue which as I remember had an even shorter GCD. FF14's is downright relaxing. I have time to actually think about what I'm gonna do next!

I also played a rogue

I had a hard time doing mechanics because my gcd was so fast and i had like 12 things to keep track of that I just ended up burning a hole in my hotbars

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

FFXIV's GCD seems really slow until about level 20, when the dungeons start to get interesting and noisy and loud.

Also, the CNJ that refuses to do anything but heal is literally the player rival from the CNJ guild quests, so lol at that.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

I'm at Law cap and want to level a tank (resisting the urge to level SCH after those pages of AST-bashing :smith:). Paladin seems kind of dull, but I can't decide between Warrior and Dark Knight. Does DRK have any major edge over Warrior, or is Warrior really as ridiculous as it looks?

Potato Jones posted:

Cockroach tank can't lift his arms, can't turn his head. I love you, cockroach tank.

Probably a stupid question, but what set is that (if it is indeed a set)?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Warriors use axes and rage a lot. Dark knights use swords and... I dunno, brood or maybe something cool (haven't seen their quest line, yet).

E: I think that is the darklight set. It was the first currency based gear in 2.0, iirc.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Niton posted:

Interesting statistics (they mean Completed, not Entered):

195k's a pretty healthy number of people clearing A4 at least once, especially since I know more than a few people who have yet to actually touch Alex.

They're the new poetics, which were the new soldiery, which were the new Mythology.

You get them the same way.

That's some poo poo loving drop off in savage. They should tune it better. Just because we wanted it to last longer doesn't mean months longer.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Holyshoot posted:

That's some poo poo loving drop off in savage. They should tune it better. Just because we wanted it to last longer doesn't mean months longer.

A3S and A4S are very, very obviously tuned for max gear, or close to it (I'm pushing A3S, same as a few weeks ago when this last came up). They drew a line between A2S and A3S and said "you're either the best players in the game, or you're in i200 or higher, or you can gently caress off". I know very little about A4S because no one's talking until someone clears it; but some sources like BG's discussions about it imply that many groups are blowing nearly all the enrage timer just reaching the final phase. Those may be out of date, who knows. Still a big 0 on completions in week 5.

I have said before that the high-difficulty raid system has two parts: it's progression, which is where we're still at, and there's farming, which is what actually keeps people running this stuff for the half-year between endgame raids. People make a lot of hay about Second Coil being cleared on week two and Final Coil being cleared on week one but in truth a lot of groups needed 1-2 months, or longer, before clearing those raids; Alex Savage is as hard or harder then those examples on top of having a gear requirement which is stretching this out considerably. It's pretty clear that the higher gear check is a direct counter to the WF progression groups who were clearing the raids so quickly; but WF progression is never representative of the greater body of raiders and really shouldn't affect raid design.

The killer thing is basically that no one expected this level of gear restriction going in, based on 1.5 years of Coil raiding. A lot of those 15k clears probably got A2S down in the first week, and then ran smack into a fight that average groups had practically no chance of clearing in the first 2-3 weeks. Cue a lot of futility and people eventually starting to eat themselves over it. It doesn't help that every group putting in 30+ hours into A3S knows, every moment, that a harder fight that no one has cleared is waiting for them and that will probably translate into another month of progression starting from when they actually manage to kill the jelly man. That can be a very discouraging thought.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

It's the most optional of hard modes. I look forward to doing it in a few months when everyone is in full AF2.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Killed By Death posted:

I'm at Law cap and want to level a tank (resisting the urge to level SCH after those pages of AST-bashing :smith:). Paladin seems kind of dull, but I can't decide between Warrior and Dark Knight. Does DRK have any major edge over Warrior, or is Warrior really as ridiculous as it looks?

Both are really fun, though I will say that DRK is like playing a piano. VERY active class to play. WAR feels a lot slower by comparison, but its also a lot less hectic.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mymla posted:

It's the most optional of hard modes. I look forward to doing it in a few months when everyone is in full AF2.

No one's clearing it in full AF2 unless they add Echo because ilvl Appropriate Gear doesn't make the average raider suddenly able to kill content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Ignoring how backwards it is to have a raid require the same tier gear it drops to kill it, if you are not approaching amazing at your job forget even doing it in full AF2. Groups that cleared FCoB in full i130 but before echo will be waiting for echo with this one, assuming they don't go gently caress it and disband before that happens.

Some DPS are already at i200 if they have been lucky and are in the most progressed groups. They still can't do it, and they are the best players out there.

• Locked thread