Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Struensee posted:

The conquer egypt mission actually only gives them claims on mamluks land.

That's awesome. The Ottomans rivaled me for some reason even though I'm no where near as powerful as them.

Deport The Irish posted:

If this is still your Ethiopia run you're talking about, it's basically a ticking time bomb until doom once you share a border with the Ottomans. The main point of moving up into Egypt is so you can get close enough to the other Christian nations to snag an ally that's able to force the Ottomans into a two-front war..

Does the distance malus go away if both nations have a coastal province? Nobody in Europe wants to ally me yet because of that. And the Ottomans haven't rivaled anybody in Europe which will make alliances even more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I know this has been brought up a lot before, but not being able to tell your vassals to fabricate claims is kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilling me right now. Passed the HRE reform that made everyone my vassals and now I'm just staring at dozens of provinces on my borders that I can't do anything about because my vassals let their claims expire and haven't bothered to fabricate them again. I'm going to have to diplo-annex some vassals and have random pockets of provinces all over Europe just for the sake of fabricating claims. A "Fabricate Claim on Neighbor" option where you pick either a neighboring province or just a neighbor in exchange for like 10% liberty desire or something along those lines would be ridiculously useful.

I mean diplo-annexing is already significantly slower than taking territory directly since you have to deal with the 10 year pause, the diplo point cost, the time to actually annex, and the reputation hit afterwards. Not being able to expand to your vassal's neighbor just seems like one setback too many. I mean, you can always make vassal claim fabrications take like 5 years or something if you don't want to speed up diplo-annexing expansion too much. Just something would be nice.

VDay fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 21, 2015

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Edit note: Wrong thread

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I agree that it's a pain, but why don't you try drumming up a CB some other way, taking a province, and then fabricating yourself from there on out? Justify trade dispute, enforce peace, warning, etc.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Usually when I'm doing a bunch of vassal-feeding, I'll hand most of the desired provinces to my vassal in the peace deal, but hang onto one or two that are convenient to fabricate claims from. Convert them if that's handy while you wait. Usually you're fine on overextension if you're doing a lot of vassal feeding. Then once claims are done, sell the provinces to your vassal.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
You could just eat the stability hit since you're already in a super strong position anyways.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

OneTwentySix posted:

I agree that it's a pain, but why don't you try drumming up a CB some other way, taking a province, and then fabricating yourself from there on out? Justify trade dispute, enforce peace, warning, etc.
All those other ways to get a CB are super situational and I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've gotten a CB out of a non-rival trade conflict, an enforced peace, or warning.

Pellisworth posted:

Usually when I'm doing a bunch of vassal-feeding, I'll hand most of the desired provinces to my vassal in the peace deal, but hang onto one or two that are convenient to fabricate claims from. Convert them if that's handy while you wait. Usually you're fine on overextension if you're doing a lot of vassal feeding. Then once claims are done, sell the provinces to your vassal.
Yeah this is obviously the standard way to go about it but it just seems like an obtuse workaround for something that should just be in the game. The subject interaction stuff is a great addition, but now that it's in it feels a bit restrictive. Like I said diplo-annexing already has a bunch of penalties, and getting caught while fabricating already gives a ton of AE so it's not like vassals fabricating claims would suddenly become some super broken expansion mechanic.

I should clarify that while it's super annoying right now since I'm the HRE emperor and have like two dozen vassals, I realize that it's not actually a big deal and have had no problems dealing with it in all my other games. Just something I'd love to see Paradox expand on and put into the game once they get the nation designer changes they're working on into the game and move on to whatever's next on their list.

Zettace posted:

You could just eat the stability hit since you're already in a super strong position anyways.

This is probably what I'm gonna end up doing, although now I'm looking at maybe consolidating a bunch of the OMPs and diplo-annexing them then selling their province to make a nearby vassal bigger just for the sake of having less things to look at in the subject interaction menu.

Speaking of which, can that thing just be in permanent alphabetical order please? It's kind of a pain that it seems to be sorted by subject type but then also in alphabetical order except when it isn't sometimes because reasons.

VDay fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 22, 2015

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Node posted:

That's awesome. The Ottomans rivaled me for some reason even though I'm no where near as powerful as them.

Does the distance malus go away if both nations have a coastal province? Nobody in Europe wants to ally me yet because of that. And the Ottomans haven't rivaled anybody in Europe which will make alliances even more difficult.

You need a Mediterranean coast, but the Europeans don't - that should count as close enough for Austria and Poland.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Jazerus posted:

You need a Mediterranean coast, but the Europeans don't - that should count as close enough for Austria and Poland.

They refused, but Lithuania, Spain, and Portugal allied me. The Poland-Lithuania union dissipated because Poland went into negative prestige it looks like. I don't think the latter two will be of much help if the Ottomans declare war too early, but hopefully the numbers of the alliance keeps them from doing it.

Also, gently caress off, Oromo settlers. Even though Ethiopa is an awesome civ in Civilization 4, the Oromo Warriors weren't that great. #fuckoffwerefull

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Speaking of vassals:

Uh...guys, I think some of you can go home now, I think we got this :stare:

e: ~13,000 casualties from attrition

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Wiz posted some graphical changes that are going to be in the 1.14 patch.

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/634728180218265600

If you own >50% of provinces adjacent to a wasteland, the wasteland will be colored in as part of your country.
EU3-style regional names for maps are coming back ("French North Africa") with some tweaks that will hopefully prevent some of the more silly names from appearing ("Russian Ottoman Empire").

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

There should be some sort of morale penalty and siege progress bonus for being massively outnumbered. If 990 men are staring out at a quarter million troops, they're going to surrender pretty quickly.

Also, the AI REALLY needs to learn how to deal with sieges so they don't take such massive attrition. There's nothing like seeing 100K troops just wasting away as they all siege the same non-fortified province.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Pakled posted:

Wiz posted some graphical changes that are going to be in the 1.14 patch.

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/634728180218265600

If you own >50% of provinces adjacent to a wasteland, the wasteland will be colored in as part of your country.
EU3-style regional names for maps are coming back ("French North Africa") with some tweaks that will hopefully prevent some of the more silly names from appearing ("Russian Ottoman Empire").

Huh, only >50%? That feature has been in for a while as something you can mod in defines.lua, but you had to own all adjoining provinces didn't you? I thought that worked well, I wonder why they changed it. Glad it's making an appearance in the base game now though for sure.

How did the region names work in EU3? I kind of hope they'll let you name them yourself as they generate.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Koramei posted:

Huh, only >50%? That feature has been in for a while as something you can mod in defines.lua, but you had to own all adjoining provinces didn't you? I thought that worked well, I wonder why they changed it. Glad it's making an appearance in the base game now though for sure.

How did the region names work in EU3? I kind of hope they'll let you name them yourself as they generate.

In EU3, they used inactive cores in addition to regions (or maybe instead of regions, I don't quite remember). The end result was you quite often had unusual names, like if England conquered the Netherlands early in the game it could show up on the map as "English Burgundy." It could get especially messy in colonies, like if Ireland colonized Brazil and then Spain conquered their colonial possessions, Spain's new colonial possessions could show up on the map as "Spanish Ireland."

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
That's kinda cool though for added dynamicism.

Oh yeah, unrelatedly, I'm working on some Asian advisor portraits now to tide myself over until Paradox makes some official versions (thanks Paradox for making them insanely easy to mod in by the way, I was very happy when I discovered that):

these will be tweaked by the way

if anyone has some historical figures (no rulers, and within the game's timeframe) they want me to add in, let me know since I only have ideas for some of them and'll end up defaulting to characters from Asian TV dramas pretty soon so it would be good to vary a bit. It'd be nice for them to not all be Chinese/Korean/Japanese too and I hardly know any figures from outside of those places. I'm only gonna do women if I feel like it since it takes like an hour to do each of them and I already have 16 left to do but feel free to suggest them anyway.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Wu Zi Mu :v:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Koramei posted:

That's kinda cool though for added dynamicism.

Oh yeah, unrelatedly, I'm working on some Asian advisor portraits now to tide myself over until Paradox makes some official versions (thanks Paradox for making them insanely easy to mod in by the way, I was very happy when I discovered that):

these will be tweaked by the way

if anyone has some historical figures (no rulers, and within the game's timeframe) they want me to add in, let me know since I only have ideas for some of them and'll end up defaulting to characters from Asian TV dramas pretty soon so it would be good to vary a bit. It'd be nice for them to not all be Chinese/Korean/Japanese too and I hardly know any figures from outside of those places. I'm only gonna do women if I feel like it since it takes like an hour to do each of them and I already have 16 left to do but feel free to suggest them anyway.

Hmm, in order - Treasurer, Military Engineer, Master of Mint, Commandant, Spymaster NEW ADVISER: NINJA?

Asians and Africans do need their own adviser portraits. Maybe even New World someday, too.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
the ninja stays

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Node posted:

Hmm, in order - Treasurer, Military Engineer, Master of Mint, Commandant, Spymaster NEW ADVISER: NINJA?

Asians and Africans do need their own adviser portraits. Maybe even New World someday, too.

I think the new world already had adviser portraits since El Dorado.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

ToxicAcne posted:

I think the new world already had adviser portraits since El Dorado.

You'd think I would have known that, having done Sun God and all.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It got them in CoP I think. Eventually it'd be nice to even get ones for places like Eastern Europe but (as I'm now realising) it's a huge amount of work to paint 42 unique portraits for each region so I guess we might be waiting a while.

I dunno about for you all but they're probably the most noticeable graphical feature in the game for me though- far more than the unit packs. Whenever I take chunks out of the Middle East or North Africa and start getting Muslim advisers mixed into the generic ones it's always super cool.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koramei posted:

It got them in CoP I think. Eventually it'd be nice to even get ones for places like Eastern Europe but (as I'm now realising) it's a huge amount of work to paint 42 unique portraits for each region so I guess we might be waiting a while.

I dunno about for you all but they're probably the most noticeable graphical feature in the game for me though- far more than the unit packs. Whenever I take chunks out of the Middle East or North Africa and start getting Muslim advisers mixed into the generic ones it's always super cool.

It's a small thing but I like that advisors can get a name and portrait from any culture in your territory.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Larry Parrish posted:

It's a small thing but I like that advisors can get a name and portrait from any culture in your territory.

Yeah, the "culture" of an advisor seems to come from the culture of whatever province they come from (the chance which I think, but don't know for sure, is weighted based on tax or something) so it's pretty cool to have a game as, say, a Prussia that conquers Poland where almost all your advisors are Polish.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Just started an Ayutthaya game. It's surprisingly easy to get clobbered at the start - some big alliance chains can get formed in the first year. Pegu is especially frustrating in terms of collecting lots of allies.

Right at the end of my run I discovered that the two OPMs between Ligor and Malacca can be safely sniped even if they ally Pasai because Malacca almost always rivals Pasai and won't provide them military access.

This is also my first game since the fort changes and holy cow do they make a huge difference in strategy. No longer can I hunt down and stack wipe armies with impunity.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 22, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

LLSix posted:

This is also my first game since the fort changes and holy cow do they make a huge difference in strategy. No longer can I hunt down and stack wipe armies with impunity.
Isnt it amazing?!? I loving love it and cannot get enough of it, even though it isnt perfect yet.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
The AI is weird when it comes to long range relationships. As Ethiopia, I had a very strong alliance with Spain and Portugal that lasted over a hundred years. Then they decided within the span of two months to break both alliances and royal marriages. They're still friendly to me, have positive relations, but I can't ally with them because my opinion of them is low.

They don't have any claims on my provinces or any missions that have anything to do with me. They don't desire any of my provinces. They are happy to get into another royal marriage right away, but I won't be able to ally them for quite some time since my country is pretty mad at them. I wonder what caused the AI to do that.

It makes a 200 force limit Ottomans a lot scarier since Iberia were pretty powerful allies.

e: Ah, lovely. There's the war declaration. Yippee.

e2: Godddamn. The Papal State accepted my alliance and immediately broke it the next day. I can't explain it.

Node fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 22, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pakled posted:

The "Russian Ottoman Empire" problem wouldn't be an issue if they just renamed it Turkey. Though really, just naming after regions sorta seems like a better idea.

LLSix posted:

This is also my first game since the font changes and holy cow do they make a huge difference in strategy. No longer can I hunt down and stack wipe armies with impunity.
What I saw. Needless to say I was confused.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The "Russian Ottoman Empire" problem wouldn't be an issue if they just renamed it Turkey. Though really, just naming after regions sorta seems like a better idea.

What I saw. Needless to say I was confused.

Even "Russian Turkey" is probably not the best term. I imagine if Russia did conquer the region during the time period covered by the games, they'd want to downplay the Turkish influence in it and call it something along the lines of "Anatolia" or "Asia Minor," which, yeah, is why going by regions is probably a smart thing to do.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pakled posted:

Even "Russian Turkey" is probably not the best term. I imagine if Russia did conquer the region during the time period covered by the games, they'd want to downplay the Turkish influence in it and call it something along the lines of "Anatolia" or "Asia Minor," which, yeah, is why going by regions is probably a smart thing to do.
Yeah, the whole downplaying of whatever polity existed before is precisely why I decided naming after regions would be a better idea, plus it better sells the idea of the territory being simply a province in a larger empire by using names which aren't associated with independent polities at all.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just hope the region name thing only happens if it's counted as distant overseas. Or otherwise be easy to mod without breaking ironman. I think it looks like poo poo if the region name things end up happening really close together.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Ottomans game complete, in that I am tired of it. This is the closest I have ever approached to a WC (not close at all), and by god do I never want to do that again.

And holy poo poo are level 8 forts ever annoying. Even if you catch them with 1000 garrison, enjoy having a -7 on all your siege rolls! By the end I was using the 30k manpower I gained every month to build 100k armies of pure infantry, move them to ongoing sieges, and just assault them down. Even with the full +3 Walls Breached bonus, I would sometimes lose 200k men and still not actually win the assault. Late game forts really need a look; if anything they should be way less useful as the game goes on.

In my ideal world fort levels would top out before 1700, while your innate siege ability would keep growing with your tech to the point where besieging a max level fort in 1800 would take about as long as a level 1 fort in 1444. That would make 16-17th century warfare an appropriately depressing pox-ridden slog, while speeding up the 18-19th centuries so you can go Napoleon.

MrKonarski
May 9, 2012

Node posted:

Open the console and write
debug_mode
check the province close to your vassal that he should be able to make a claim on it
type
add_claim Provincenumber TAG

Example:
add_claim 130 DNZ
Declare War

You can also try to put a diplomat manually, changing tag to your vassal, but if they're not militaristic they'll usually cancel the diplomat

Let's say your vassal is Silesia
TAG SIL
then you come back to being Austria
TAG AUS

It's pretty easy.

Another option is owning a province for a split second you can fabricate a claim
Let's say province 1513 borders 3 provinces that you want to add a claim to
You go to the console and type:

debug_mode

Now you can check the province, province number is 1513 and is owned by, let's say, Wallachia.

own 1513
add_core 1513

you send the diplomats and then

remove_core 1513
own 1513 WAL

That's 3 ways to override the stupid fact that your vassals act completely passive in your game.

It's up to you, I usually check the leader, if he ain't a diplomat a colonizer or an administrator I just throw add_claim provinceid tag all over the frontier

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
E: Never mind, misunderstood.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

anti_strunt posted:

In my ideal world fort levels would top out before 1700, while your innate siege ability would keep growing with your tech to the point where besieging a max level fort in 1800 would take about as long as a level 1 fort in 1444. That would make 16-17th century warfare an appropriately depressing pox-ridden slog, while speeding up the 18-19th centuries so you can go Napoleon.
This would be pretty great.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Just going to shamelessly advertise my Megacampaign LP here, just finished converting to EU4 and first chapter out for EU4. If you wanna see a dev high on Norse romanticism and then lose to rebels this is for you.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642949

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Thinking about grabbing a ~space game~

Anyone who has played both Galactic Civilizations 3 and Distant Worlds: Universe who wants to give me a run down on which one I should go with?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Just unlocked temples in my Ayuttahaya game. None of my provinces gives better than +0.3 gold with a temple. Am I wrong or were the old temples way more profitable?

I'm also completely out of manpower, and have bottomed out in both of the last two wars because I can't chase the enemy army down and have to fight it over and over again. What tricks are there for gaining manpower or keeping it up now? I'm already mixing in as many mercenaries as I can afford. Is it worth dropping a couple of standing regiments and replacing them with half as many mercenaries?

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 22, 2015

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Do you mean +0.03? +0.3 a month is pretty drat good.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

LLSix posted:

Just unlocked temples in my Ayuttahaya game. None of my provinces gives better than +0.3 gold with a temple. I'm I wrong or were the old temples way more profitable?

It was changed so it shows what you get per month now, rather than per year as it was pre-common sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

LLSix posted:

Just unlocked temples in my Ayuttahaya game. None of my provinces gives better than +0.3 gold with a temple. I'm I wrong or were the old temples way more profitable?

I'm also completely out of manpower, and have bottomed out in both of the last two wars because I can't chase the enemy army down and have to fight it over and over again. What tricks are there for gaining manpower or keeping it up now? I'm already mixing in as many mercenaries as I can afford. Is it worth dropping a couple of standing regiments and replacing them with half as many mercenaries?

Actually temples should be better than they were before? That +0.3 gold is per month, not yearly. Old temples used to be a flat +1 base tax per year, though that increased force limits too.

Use your mercs and standing regiments efficiently -- consolidating after a big battle and hiring a couple regiments of merc infantry to replace your losses is often my preferred method.

You're probably bleeding a ton of manpower on attrition, as there are a bunch of Tropical provinces there. When sieging a fort, detach the minimum needed to siege and move the rest to adjacent unfortified provinces to loot. Merc infantry are preferred for the siege stack since that won't bleed your manpower. The extra cash from looting will help a lot with supporting mercs, and then most of your army won't be sitting on their fort eating 3% or worse attrition.

Edit: Like I don't think there's an advantage to having more than the minimum infantry and up to 15 artillery in a siege. More than that you're just needlessly eating attrition so you might as well go looting.

• Locked thread