Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
24k ukp is about 37.5k usd.

I would have legit laughed in the face of anyone who gave me that out of college and walked out. That's terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
You can still salvage it, but it's going to be an uphill thing. Just do your interviews then after you impress them, tell them that "you know, after i found out what the position involved it sounds a lot more like more engineering practice is involved which means the value I would bring to execute that is closer to the <your desired range> range". If they still balk then you can laugh in their face and at least you can keep your interview experience and between that and the negotiation opening you've learned some great lessons.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

XRABLZbWVFhedG9USV4A
dp5NuwFF6mIDozR6rpFd
FA2hzJQn0XOK0lnq5SuN
hn8bsZv3ZORR8Dj1wwiU
Y3yyZbDtGXSATiLh4B2X
YREur0TDXvt8aKuPA9eE
WzeRnM5P5pfWUK9nZr22
rgYIhYgd4k09sNM46xgu
DsNNpCikBwi1t4riwt9k
tPYPNIyUj8QEVgsMCERh

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 27, 2023

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 10, 2023

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

NvaAgGym5KENha0pYyCn
0cwuNwQeCYNxCOYeWBrV
GNyxV51QXDjh6POC4dSw
tPtGAyjCOvNsCUQoJc8p
9x7pc5UzSIhX2oM7OX8X
oKF8TCwVQoAMc5LFNLrO
JFs5bPYTYCM7Mpz8qfzq
5Yl5LmBMBsec5qTxxfzQ
XYPjqQ0haPlTcXTHWN5C
CSzcGjBVXzsWz2Rq2uG6

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 27, 2023

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 8, 2023

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm trying to figure out why I've been applying for jobs for ~2 months now with no luck. I'm going to start with the easiest part of the process and look at my resume. Are there any glaring issues with my resume? I'm divided about the length. Part of me says that a resume should just be enough to get myself in the door but I also feel I've got a good amount of experience to go onto two pages. Maybe I can remove all descriptions for stuff like Engineers Without Borders and Senior Design projects and just put them as a bullet point?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01niieJYRjKNWp6NjdocnJHY2s/view?usp=sharing

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

huhu posted:

I'm trying to figure out why I've been applying for jobs for ~2 months now with no luck. I'm going to start with the easiest part of the process and look at my resume. Are there any glaring issues with my resume? I'm divided about the length. Part of me says that a resume should just be enough to get myself in the door but I also feel I've got a good amount of experience to go onto two pages. Maybe I can remove all descriptions for stuff like Engineers Without Borders and Senior Design projects and just put them as a bullet point?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01niieJYRjKNWp6NjdocnJHY2s/view?usp=sharing
You're two years out of school. In my opinion you don't have strong enough experience to hand out a two-pager -- get it down to one. Keep a long form for personal use where you keep track of every job/internship/volunteer thing you've ever done, and then tailor it to suit the job you're applying to. You're also losing like 25% of the first page to your name and contact info. Come up with a more compact layout for that information.

edit: There are a lot of redundancies too. Again, keep a lot of this information for your personal resume (call it a CV if you want) but if you're going to list skills like AutoCAD and such at the top, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to repeat them in bullet points under jobs below. Really think about whether the descriptions you're putting under each workplace are accomplishments or responsibilities. The former is far more important than the latter on a resume. I'd also ditch the Personal Study stuff unless any of it's relevant to the job being applied to.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 31, 2015

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Condense your personal info into two lines. You can separate them using bullet dividers or something, but right now it's an incredible waste of space.

Agree with SWSP that your experience does not merit multiple pages. Do everything you can to get it down to one. Some of your text could stand to be a little smaller, but don't go overboard.

List your 3 latest employers from most to least recent, 3 or 4 bullet points of the most important things you did at each, and the rest can go to skills/extracurriculars. If you have any particular academic skills (programming, specialized design, etc) that you want to emphasize, list them somewhere, perhaps under a header like "coursework" or "academic experience." You should be tweaking your resume to the specific jobs that you're applying for; it's a pain, but it'll definitely help with your return rate.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Never actually made a decent effort to condense everything... I like it a lot better shorter like this. I have to proofread still some of the bullet points but I tried to focus more on results instead of responsibilities.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01niieJYRjKTmktYUhBZHZhdVU/view?usp=sharing

Edit: There's also some formatting issues I'll need to fix.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Its much better now. It's still a bit wordy in some places. You chould chop 3 engineers without borders chapters and their respective projects to bring water... to Enigneers without borders to bring... For example.

Also try to be a bit more quantitative with the results of previous work bullet points. It's pretty good for the peace Corp but saying stuff like ' increased the quality' is a little bit vague and meaningless. There is a balance though, don't put something outrageous like saved the company $16,780,000.99 by product improvements or some other bullcrap.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Getting really frustrated trying to leave RF satellite communications and move to literally anything else (SF area)... none of my experience seems to be useful for anything. And it's been quite impossible to find an entry or junior level RF engineering in another field. I don't mind taking a step back in my career to switch industries but that's not even possible. I feel like accepting this job 4 years ago suicided all of my career options.

And no, I don't want to move into defense, which literally seems to be my only option.

I feel like I am just shotgun applying to jobs. They all sound interesting - consumer electronics, cellular communications, medical devices.... I just want to learn and try new things and grow as an engineer. None of these happen in satcom. :suicide:

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 1, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mitztronic posted:

Getting really frustrated trying to leave RF satellite communications and move to literally anything else (SF area)... none of my experience seems to be useful for anything. And it's been quite impossible to find an entry or junior level RF engineering in another field. I don't mind taking a step back in my career to switch industries but that's not even possible. I feel like accepting this job 4 years ago suicided all of my career options.

And no, I don't want to move into defense, which literally seems to be my only option.

I feel like I am just shotgun applying to jobs. They all sound interesting - consumer electronics, cellular communications, medical devices.... I just want to learn and try new things and grow as an engineer. None of these happen in satcom. :suicide:

I'm on the same boat as you right now.

well at least you are trying to apply for other possibilities and have realized that the satellite business is really stagnant due to being a contracts/heritage hardware focused business.

Things like aerospace or defense tend to be somewhat incestuous to the point of making it somewhat hard to find jobs in other fields.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Is there just a huge surplus of engineers in the UK driving down wages or something? That's psych major type pay.

There's a bit of a glut of engineers in the Oil industry just now in the UK. But that might have trickled down into the number of graduates they're taking, which in turn could allow them to lower their starting salary as there's still lots of engineering graduates wanting to work in oil, as they started their degrees 5 years ago when it was looking healthy(er).

As the majority of the majors are looking at the North Sea and trying to sell their assets.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Is it easy to go from UK -> Canada? Because the engineering wages aren't nearly that bad in Canada.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

mitztronic posted:

Are you locked to the bay area? (PNW)

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Not sure about him, but I'm thinking about/looking to head up there.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

movax posted:

Are you locked to the bay area? (PNW)

Only in the short term. If I can't find anything here, we are moving away. Every day I spend in this field is that much harder to get out. Probably will switch my job search to SoCal, Denver, and then PNW (would like to maintain my lifestyle/culture). I'm sure I'll be able to eventually find something in those areas but if not then anything is on the table.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

mitztronic posted:

Only in the short term. If I can't find anything here, we are moving away. Every day I spend in this field is that much harder to get out. Probably will switch my job search to SoCal, Denver, and then PNW (would like to maintain my lifestyle/culture). I'm sure I'll be able to eventually find something in those areas but if not then anything is on the table.

SpaceX in Seattle (Redmond) is probably up your alley if you decide to move. The Redmond group is working on developing an internet satellite constellation.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

How old is too old to get into engineering? I'm 34 with a BS in math and have a poo poo job working as a paralegal. I'm considering returning to get a Master's, probably in ME. My GPA is low, 3.0, since it took two tries to get the Bachelor's, but I kicked the GREs rear end. Any advice or insites? I'm also considering accounting.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BgRdMchne posted:

How old is too old to get into engineering? I'm 34 with a BS in math and have a poo poo job working as a paralegal. I'm considering returning to get a Master's, probably in ME. My GPA is low, 3.0, since it took two tries to get the Bachelor's, but I kicked the GREs rear end. Any advice or insites? I'm also considering accounting.

It's possible, I've seen people do it even later than that. Make sure you are using your time in school to do internships/co-ops to get your foot in the door somewhere though. You may have to do a stint in a high-churn big space and defense company to get that first job out of the way/accumulate skills.

e:VVV Engineering internships are almost always paid. For example, we currently pay $22/hr to interns, I don't know what a paralegal in your area makes but according to google the median salary for a paralegal is $46k so, an internship would be in that ballpark.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 12, 2015

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Murgos posted:

It's possible, I've seen people do it even later than that. Make sure you are using your time in school to do internships/co-ops to get your foot in the door somewhere though. You may have to do a stint in a high-churn big space and defense company to get that first job out of the way/accumulate skills.

I'm not sure how feasable an internship would be. I'll probably have to work full time and attend school part time.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

BgRdMchne posted:

Have you considered becoming an actuary?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Eskaton posted:

gross

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Eskaton posted:

Seems boring. The only thing close to that that I could consider doing is maybe forensic accounting. I'd rather be in something more productive and engineering would pay me more, I think. I wish I could do something for the city or state that didn't pay like poo poo since I'm only 4 years away from getting a pension when I retire.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

lIwWty7BvBxrXxJt7Fa4
BGSRwuydQcLY3JFtaamQ
PgLZuFRT9slEav1sxh1m
nOQ2SnOMbH9F5zzF2yMm
CpYn2SuVSQXqet0w1cXa
N81kCv0RCqY33qsvQxEd
zFo2QifzTqASYCB1bVXM
nVI8iRHClaMVRUg3pX3f
y3ubN7o6gNJUWbSzj8Zk
ael7wqAs2z3Ykc1CtAkj

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 27, 2023

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
If you're doing independent consulting don't buy the commercial version until you get your first money coming into your company. Also I'd forget about doing that until you can see how the process works (negotiations, contracts, deliverables, etc) from the much safer industry side.

Anyway, for that kind of work we use COMSOL multiphysics, as it allows you to write your own routines quite easily in MATLAB.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

nNIuN3q4tjg4XSpDd4fI
74nJ6TdC8ICfA8NHr6Uy
waQcmcTqP1H5O1c15YI2
flovOBoTPM0dIYR8a3nK
5Ud50OYDT7OkNyAMwAfl
quEsKcD4q8nm7as9L4Q2
spvQY8tX3fA1uHgxArLQ
UCFcMu8R6EOUqKJB9m49
6N2yzKvZ2kaKsZlRMmj5
5tjhGzHfV1I7QGs8Wqnh

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

BgRdMchne posted:

Seems boring. The only thing close to that that I could consider doing is maybe forensic accounting. I'd rather be in something more productive and engineering would pay me more, I think. I wish I could do something for the city or state that didn't pay like poo poo since I'm only 4 years away from getting a pension when I retire.

It sounds boring, but it pays significantly more than engineering. It's what my mathematics friends are planning to do after college.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I won't fault you for taking £25k. One of the major reasons I gave up on trying to move to London was that £25-30k looked to be about the average starting salary for most engineering positions. I'm sure it's a decent salary from a native's perspective, but as an American with $800+/month student loan payments it was like NOPE.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Noctone posted:

I won't fault you for taking £25k. One of the major reasons I gave up on trying to move to London was that £25-30k looked to be about the average starting salary for most engineering positions. I'm sure it's a decent salary from a native's perspective, but as an American with $800+/month student loan payments it was like NOPE.

I used to wonder why so many canadian firms we dealt with would have a bunch of British expats but now I wonder no more.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

hHQl4Xe3yeIfw6csK3Pb
uH66qMwSa0RxjCjPiBtj
5NVIMW6Hbi5oGOin3Am8
LGPYnvsRz4PoyGWsKDmm
4PFzhwhOuN8kRvrjy0BO
2FxaDA3p3Cgznvmt5Bp3
hWAn5HnCCIGezDWAwkwl
NUJEWNSDYGW9rb9qmswy
8GY2kqgGKlbSYMOoBMNQ
M1ks2D6JiUBOt8NdCgsc

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

On a positive note, at least you wont have to pay much tax.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Zero Gravitas posted:

Welp, chatting with my fiancee I'm apparently on the same salary that she would get as a carer (with no qualifications or training) in an old peoples home in Norway.

Thanks for robbing me of my enthusiasm about the pay. :argh:

Definitely going to try and set myself up in a couple of years.

You might want to look up the cost of living in Norway before you flip out.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

8KlAhBVN2dXg3wazA4lR
dsl0VdUcHg7v4IvcPUjJ
KGVlJ1x8OjhNYlgOP5lx
yijy8I8XDe3TMHVzK2ga
X8wB93RWapWTstj0GXuh
FPNwQPVpND1eJPyN9xaD
78rPImPOwHWfFqKDsnf8
N37jQTYOHo1qtpceWoH9
AMT7gPAjlhG5gJ0RWLGK
gLp9Gof5kLOavC85fiHs

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Zero Gravitas posted:

Yes, I know the cost of living, but it still would be nice to get more than that.

I kinda understand what you are getting at here (you feel underpaid), but you're comparing apples to oranges. Once you take into account the COL adjustment, how do the salaries compare? I doubt they are the same.

That said - yeah, you're probably underpaid. Nearly everyone is underpaid in the US (not sure if you are from the US, but I also don't think this phenomena is isolated to the US). Wages have remained stagnant for how many years now while productivity has risen? I don't want to think about.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mitztronic posted:

I kinda understand what you are getting at here (you feel underpaid), but you're comparing apples to oranges. Once you take into account the COL adjustment, how do the salaries compare? I doubt they are the same.

That said - yeah, you're probably underpaid. Nearly everyone is underpaid in the US (not sure if you are from the US, but I also don't think this phenomena is isolated to the US). Wages have remained stagnant for how many years now while productivity has risen? I don't want to think about.

Just going by the published median wage data comparing EE salaries from 1980 to now the median salary should be ~$350k if they had kept up with the growth of the economy (which they had done until about 1980).

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
So, does anyone have any leads on jobs for a PE in petroleum engineering for some consulting?

I would really love to work mineral rights owner rights after working for an operator.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Oil! posted:

So, does anyone have any leads on jobs for a PE in petroleum engineering for some consulting?

I would really love to work mineral rights owner rights after working for an operator.

What country are you looking in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Does anybody have advice for an ME looking for a job that actually requires moving around and using the body instead of just sitting in an office all day? I have a BS and MS in ME and right now I work doing CFD in a machine building company and it's starting to drive me a little nuts. Just sitting around all day is boring as hell.