Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

When are you brain dead losers going to realize that non-Apple phones will always be poo poo? Use your loving brains and look at the PC industry, the same economic realities of that business apply to smartphones. Nobody who has a Mac and that's planning on buying a new computer says "Hmm time to shop around and see how the latest offerings from Dell or Lenovo compare", they just buy a new Mac. Maybe you retards should ask yourselves why that happens (hint: it's happening in smartphones as well).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
I just went from a MBP to a Lenovo :confused:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I bought a PC (on rather, built a PC) after having owned two MBPs, so it definitely happens. It all comes back to what you intend to do with the thing.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TenaciousTomato posted:

I just went from a MBP to a Lenovo :confused:

Cremnob's hobby is desperately trying to foment gains in his AAPL stock by posting 'wow guys I just heard android is bad!' in the android thread

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Maybe it'll fix itself when the real Stagefright OTA goes out?

Wait, really? gently caress it, probably going to bite the bullet and wipe the phone / try out the M preview this weekend then.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

hahaha

So glad I ditched my Samsung. gently caress that.

Until everybody starts doing it, and my Moto G starts advertising the brand new 2016 Moto X Fucktastic or whatever they're gonna call it. nWhen that happens I'm buying an iPhone.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

And then Apple will do it.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Also Samsung's doing a thing where you can test a Note 5 or S6 Edge + for 30 days if you visit their promotion site on an iPhone.

I have my old 4S in a drawer, so I feel a bit tempted, but they're now out of phones now. :v:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'd happily opt in if they went the kindle route and if I could pay 20% less for my device and they could chuck ads at me in unobtrusive places

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

cremnob posted:

When are you brain dead losers going to realize that non-Apple phones will always be poo poo? Use your loving brains and look at the PC industry, the same economic realities of that business apply to smartphones. Nobody who has a Mac and that's planning on buying a new computer says "Hmm time to shop around and see how the latest offerings from Dell or Lenovo compare", they just buy a new Mac. Maybe you retards should ask yourselves why that happens (hint: it's happening in smartphones as well).

I'm quite happy with my $200 Moto G, thanks. In fact I'm kind of :smugdog: around the few iPhone users at work! Thanks for your quality post, fellow Goon!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

vyst posted:

I'd happily opt in if they went the kindle route and if I could pay 20% less for my device and they could chuck ads at me in unobtrusive places

Yeah this would legit own

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

cremnob posted:

android rules apple drools

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Wrap it up, sdcardailures!

http://www.fonearena.com/blog/153424/asus-zenfone-2-deluxe-special-edition-with-massive-256gb-internal-storage-announced.html

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Picked up a Note 5 today. The build quality is really something else. It's nicer than my wife's iPhone 6 Plus. The SPen was a big surprise to me. Initially I was going to get the Edge+ since styluses give me nightmares of the early days of Windows Mobile (and even worse, that loving Palm handwriting recognition box). But it is really convenient and it has taken my Puzzle Dragoning to another level.

I was also really prepared to loving despise all the crapware (to include Touchwiz). But after spending 10 minutes cleaning it up by disabling pre-installed garbage and installing the Google Now launcher, it's pretty hard to tell the difference in interface from my GPE M8.

A++++ would buy again. The wireless charger is pretty sweet as well and Tmobile basically gives it away.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Nostrum posted:

Picked up a Note 5 today. The build quality is really something else. It's nicer than my wife's iPhone 6 Plus. The SPen was a big surprise to me. Initially I was going to get the Edge+ since styluses give me nightmares of the early days of Windows Mobile (and even worse, that loving Palm handwriting recognition box). But it is really convenient and it has taken my Puzzle Dragoning to another level.

I was also really prepared to loving despise all the crapware (to include Touchwiz). But after spending 10 minutes cleaning it up by disabling pre-installed garbage and installing the Google Now launcher, it's pretty hard to tell the difference in interface from my GPE M8.

A++++ would buy again. The wireless charger is pretty sweet as well and Tmobile basically gives it away.

Wait, is T-Mobile selling the quick charge wireless plate already?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

ruby idiot railed posted:

Wait, is T-Mobile selling the quick charge wireless plate already?

Yep!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Wait, really? gently caress it, probably going to bite the bullet and wipe the phone / try out the M preview this weekend then.

No, the next update won't fix it either. The next update never fixes the thing you hope it does.

Just to be certain though, you did install the correct software for your N6, right? The T-Mobile-specific LYZ28J and not the one for everyone else which is LMY48I?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

bull3964 posted:

Samsung joins HTC and Sony with pushing ads on their users via the notification area.
Wait, what? When did that happen?

duh, it was in the link you posted. That sucks.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Nostrum posted:

(and even worse, that loving Palm handwriting recognition box).

Don't you dare talk poo poo about Graffiti, that poo poo was too good for this world

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The rear end Stooge posted:

Don't you dare talk poo poo about Graffiti, that poo poo was too good for this world

*draws a 7*

*gets a T on screen*

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

This is for those folks who use their phone for torrenting, right?

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
wait, asus makes phones? I love their laptops & mobos! do they suck more or less than nexus?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

froward posted:

wait, asus makes phones? I love their laptops & mobos! do they suck more or less than nexus?

Oh man. You're in for a treat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LastInLine posted:

No, the next update won't fix it either. The next update never fixes the thing you hope it does.

Just to be certain though, you did install the correct software for your N6, right? The T-Mobile-specific LYZ28J and not the one for everyone else which is LMY48I?

Yeah, my phone actually grabbed LYZ28J on its own as an OTA. I haven't even rooted this thing yet, haven't had any reason to.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

froward posted:

That depends on how you feel about ugly Android skins, outdated and non-backlit capacative buttons, and mountains of crapware, my friend!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

isndl posted:

I'm not happy unless I have 4 seasons of Blu-Ray ripped anime on my phone, so this looks perfect.

But seriously, why throw shade at this? Some people would love to never have to manage storage ever again.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

isndl posted:

Folks who are on the road a lot as a matter of fact.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Folks who are on the road a lot as a matter of fact.

Need that anime on the big rig

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Is that the 50 dollar Samsung one?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Wow, talk about a major price drop.

Looks like new unlocked LG G Flex2 (AT&T) is going for $249 on eBay.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
That thing really needs a 4000mah+ sized battery.
Intel SoC, 4GB RAM, and 256GB storage? Might as well stick windows10 on it instead of android.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Drythe posted:

Is that the 50 dollar Samsung one?

Yes it is. T-mobile waives the sales tax on the device if you purchase an equal dollar value worth of accessories so if you get that and a screen protector you break even.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Hughmoris posted:

If you want to see the future of phones with the Snapdragon 810 SOC (Hi HTC! Hi OnePlus!) there it is.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, my phone actually grabbed LYZ28J on its own as an OTA. I haven't even rooted this thing yet, haven't had any reason to.

The reason I ask is because anyone, rooted or not, unlocked or locked bootloader, can apply an OTA with the stock recovery and the everyone else update came out a few days before the T-Mobile one. Using the everyone else update caused radio dropouts. Shouldn't have affected Bluetooth but for some reason wifi and Bluetooth on Android seem to be weirdly tied together.

Personally I'd try the dev preview and see if that fixes the problem because then you'll have a really good idea if it will get fixed in the next version.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ilkhan posted:

That thing really needs a 4000mah+ sized battery.
Intel SoC, 4GB RAM, and 256GB storage? Might as well stick windows10 on it instead of android.

They were announcing devices that would dual boot Android and Windows over a year ago, but would that be possible? I assume the bootloader isn't compatible.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Did they also post a screenshot of their Notifications settings where they must have opted into them? Otherwise I think you were given out of context information and are making misinformed comments. Weird how Twittwr does that to people.

Edit: I don't doubt that Apple can and probably does send notifications about sales in the App Store, Apple Store, iTunes Store, etc. but my distinction here is that you have to opt in to receive them. That doesn't sound like the case with what these Android OEMs are doing but I'm happy to have someone show me that I'm wrong. I usually only interact with Nexus devices.

The only built in app that might show a banner like that I can think of is Tips, which only tells you about features related to the OS AFAIK. Also easily disabled as you mentioned.

I think the app and iTunes Store apps might show some banners but I've only ever seen them for this thing you bought is now available, which isn't really an ad. the Apple Store app might do some advertising inside the store but it's also not a built in app.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hughmoris posted:

Does anyone here have the LG Flex 2? I'm wondering how the 5.1.1 changed things up. This seeeems like a solid phone for $249, at $30 more than the Moto G.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

They were announcing devices that would dual boot Android and Windows over a year ago, but would that be possible? I assume the bootloader isn't compatible.
I assume its just a matter of which OS files you point the bootloader to. But :shrug:

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

minusX posted:

Realtalk: if you're going to have a physical qwerty keyboard do not leave out the number row. Full 4 row keyboard or bust.

You could have a soft number row on the bottom of the screen pretty easy, it could even offer corrections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Hughmoris posted:

Does anyone here have the LG Flex 2? I'm wondering how the 5.1.1 changed things up. This seeeems like a solid phone for $249, at $30 more than the Moto G.

I think power, screen and features are nice, but the battery life was just hot garbage from what I remember of the reviews. I too would be interested in an "updated" review