Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

The first time I played AP I had this exact same problem. Put it back in the case, ignored it for a while, eventually ran across Bobbin's LP of it and was intrigued enough to try it again, and I promptly solved those puzzles with minimal difficulty.

I really wish more people were aware of the good parts of that game, because so many games would be better off for being influenced by it.

Also, I think it was in 1, and very definitely 2, if you were wailing on guards and they were not really "blocking" like a Templar would, they'd still bleed and act hurt, even if you never actually 'hit' them.

Well, I will give it a while and then dust it off again, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah, but that would make him more likable than Aiden and they just decided that it would be easier to make Quinn look worse than to rewrite Aiden's character in a more consistent and likable way.

Serious question because I haven't watched all of Chip's LPs: is Aiden the most unlikable of all the protagonists?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Richard Marcinko (of Rogue Warrior) might be worse? But even Travis Touchdown is a more likable and relatable protagonist by virtue of owning a pet and being nice to it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Aiden isn't openly racist, that's pretty much the only thing he has over Marcinko.

That's... really not good.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ricky Dick Marcinko is way better with hit lines such as "Get dead fuckbag"

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

HitTheTargets posted:

Serious question because I haven't watched all of Chip's LPs: is Aiden the most unlikable of all the protagonists?
Shion Uzuki. She may as well be an anime Aiden.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Keeshhound posted:

Richard Marcinko (of Rogue Warrior) might be worse?
Not unless Aiden also rhymes in the credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVoyGUcXepc

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

Watching an LP of the 2015 open world pirate game "Raven's Cry", Christopher Raven is at least doing his damndest to compete.

Basically every conversation starts with him telling the other person to gently caress off, then listening to whatever inane quest they have after threatening them. He yells at his closest friend for daring to suggest that seeing a mark carved in a man's chest didn't guarantee that the people who killed his family were back, not dead after all, and ready for him to track them down. Then, when his friend pointed out he was being loving insane, he decided to find a man trying to hunt him down and murder him already because he might have a clue about the (probably dead) gang of pirates he was looking for vengeance on.

He's kind of like Aiden, only without the frantic attempts to make him slightly less of a douchebag in audiologs.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
You forgot Chris Raven's exploits with that unfortunate nun. He's not a good person or character.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Surely Kratos is still worse than Aiden? It's not much of a feat, granted, but for a guy who comes off as more of an rear end in a top hat than most GTA protagonists you sort of have to reach.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's not hard to come up with a bigger monster than Aiden. The real problem isn't that he's a dick; it's that he's not supposed to be a dick. You're supposed to root for the guy and that just isn't gonna happen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
He mentioned Chip's LPs, he's played neither Raven's Cry nor God of War.

So yeah, Dick Marcinko's probably the only one that might beat him.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

Shion Uzuki. She may as well be an anime Aiden.

Wait, when did Chip do Xenosaga? (Though Shion is pretty awful, and manages to disguise it with a cutesy exterior)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's not hard to come up with a bigger monster than Aiden. The real problem isn't that he's a dick; it's that he's not supposed to be a dick. You're supposed to root for the guy and that just isn't gonna happen.

Tony Stark spends most of his time competing with enemies who steal his ideas, he's a protagonist who cleans up his own messes, and he admits he has a lot of his own messes to clean.

Aiden is a protagonist who keeps making new messes for himself and blaming everyone else for it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Ricky Dick Marcinko is way better with hit lines such as "Get dead fuckbag"

"Suck my balls, my hairy loving big balls, wrap them around your mouth."

A racist war criminal is more likable than AID-N-PENETRATE

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Keeshhound posted:

Richard Marcinko (of Rogue Warrior) might be worse? But even Travis Touchdown is a more likable and relatable protagonist by virtue of owning a pet and being nice to it.

Dick Marcinko gets bonus points by basically being a real person's fan-fictionized version of himself. Video game Dick Marcinko is real Dick Marcinko's war story in the bar about that time he totally murdered like 300 North Koreans on a covert op, destroyed the North Korean nuclear weapons program, and then fought his way through Russia on the extraction, yeah, it totally happened guys, why are you laughing?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Speedball posted:

Wait, when did Chip do Xenosaga? (Though Shion is pretty awful, and manages to disguise it with a cutesy exterior)
He didn't, but Shion is a really terrible protagonist on par with the worst of them.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

50 Cent might be close but that bitch did take his skull so after that all bets were off.

Demonbait
Apr 14, 2014
50 Cent at least seemed to have a good time, so he's already leagues above Aiden.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What about the guy from Condemned? It's been a while since I watched it, but I seem to remember the goal of that game being to go around murdering every homeless person you see.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wanamingo posted:

What about the guy from Condemned? It's been a while since I watched it, but I seem to remember the goal of that game being to go around murdering every homeless person you see.

I've played both games and Ethan does virtually everything in self-defense. The homeless people are literally being driven into violent insanity by supernatural (or in the second game "supernatural") forces and attacking everyone they see. His big problem is a massive lack of characterization and development. In the first game he's a pretty generic Not-FBI agent and Greg Grunberg phones in his lines. In the second game he's supposed to be a homeless bum and suddenly becomes a grizzled rear end in a top hat and alcoholic who's literally haunted by a manifestation of his inner demons. Also he's suddenly white for no good reason.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

50 Cent had a compelling reason to raze that Middle Eastern country to the ground though. That bitch took his skull

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Those helicopters had it coming

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

50 Cent had a compelling reason to raze that Middle Eastern country to the ground though. That bitch took his skull

Skull stealing bitches get stitches. Lots of them. All over...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The thing about Dick Marcinko and 50 Cent is that they are much more enjoyable and consistent than Aiden. 50 cent has clear goals and motivations throughout the game and in his quest to recover his skull doesn't steal someone else's skull a la Aiden threatening some guy's niece. Dick Marcinko starts the game seeing how many communist necks it takes to blunt a combat knife and by God that's how he ends.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
"I have to be hidden from my enemies as the vigilante, but the public knows the vigilante is me, Aiden Pierce. I'll have to be very careful, I wouldn't want my family hurt once my vague data collecting shadowy enemies put two and two together."

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Justin_Brett posted:

Surely Kratos is still worse than Aiden? It's not much of a feat, granted, but for a guy who comes off as more of an rear end in a top hat than most GTA protagonists you sort of have to reach.

I'd argue that Kratos is still better (although he technically wouldn't count anyway) by virtue of being a modern version of a Greek myth. Even though he's reprehensible to modern audiences, it's all framed in a setting and story pattern that (at least in the first game) fits a Greek tragedy perfectly. It's just part of the genre; in ancient Greek myths, the heroes aren't heroes because they're good people (most of them, and most of the gods are straight up assholes) but because they performed monumental deeds.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Also, at least in God of War 3, you're not supposed to think Kratos is the hero. He's not supposed to be someone to emulate and buy his iconic cap from.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

All I know is I never thought I'd feel bad for North Korean soldiers but Dick Marcinko certainly pulled that off.

50 cent is more likable than Aiden by virtue of at least being consistent.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ekster posted:

50 cent is more likable than Aiden by virtue of at least being consistent.

50 cent also has friends, and maintains an observably healthy relationship with them in Blood on the Sand.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

Also, at least in God of War 3, you're not supposed to think Kratos is the hero. He's not supposed to be someone to emulate and buy his iconic cap from.

I'd buy Kratos' iconic buttflap tho

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Danaru posted:

Aiden isn't openly racist, that's pretty much the only thing he has over Marcinko.

That's... really not good.

I ripped all the game audio a few years ago to listen to all of the taunts and there's an unused one where he calls Karl Marx a human being :frogbon:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I have to wonder what the recording session was like for that game.

quote:

:gonk:: Ok so you want me to say... "Cock-breathed commie motherfuckers?"

:downs:: Yeah, but make it more pejorative this time.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Manatee Cannon posted:

Those helicopters had it coming

Those helicopters were racists and deserved to die.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PG0rRPAOnc

The coolest thing to come out of Watch_Dogs.

Notably, this guy made this awesome song before the game came out. He was just inspired by what we had been promised and made a really loving cool song that wound up being way better than what we got.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Miracle of Sound makes some good poo poo. Seriously. In a world of "What if X had lyrics", Miracle of Sound is a gleaming diamond.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

kalonZombie posted:

Miracle of Sound makes some good poo poo. Seriously. In a world of "What if X had lyrics", Miracle of Sound is a gleaming diamond.

Hell, he sometimes makes awesome songs about games nobody gave a crap about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Ew-awbsNw

Medal of Honor: DOORFIGHTER!

They're so lovely, and wooden, I HATE WOODEN poo poo! I'm the vandal of your handle, make your splinters split.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

Holy poo poo, I was about to post something snarky like "in a mountain of poo poo, a piece of corn would look like gold" without even listening.

But god drat that poo poo's actually really good.

Now it just makes me sad that zero-effort poo poo like brentalfloss is so popular and thus good stuff like this is really rare because why put in the effort?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Geemer posted:

Now it just makes me sad that zero-effort poo poo like brentalfloss is so popular and thus good stuff like this is really rare because why put in the effort?

Artists put in effort for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Geemer posted:

Holy poo poo, I was about to post something snarky like "in a mountain of poo poo, a piece of corn would look like gold" without even listening.

But god drat that poo poo's actually really good.

I had a co-worker at my last job who one time stopped working, pulled out his phone, and played the entire brentalfloss video where he sang to the tune of the moon theme from ducktales. He also grinned at me the entire time. Then when it was done he sang it himself while working and looking over at me to try to get me to sing along. He did this because he was talking about 'epic internet videos' and I never heard of brentalfloss.

This is the same coworker who pulled his PSP one time in the middle of work from his back pocket so he could show me his Persona 3 character because I offhand mentioned I played a bit of it on PS2. We worked with food.

I'm so glad I don't work there anymore.

• Locked thread