Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

That must explain why Jake is able to do a poo poo load more with a boat when it seems like they are on the same level captain experience wise.

Jake knows his poo poo when it comes to the boat, there's a reason that Wild Bill made Zach the engineer that if Zach ever wants to be a Captain he must know how fix poo poo. Pretty much every Captain have a pretty drat good mechanical knowledge, except for Josh who don't even want to learn how the boat functions. I also somehow doubt that Josh fishes while the cameras are off, something which most of the other guys do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Holyshoot posted:

That must explain why Jake is able to do a poo poo load more with a boat when it seems like they are on the same level captain experience wise.

Jake has been busting his rear end raw to earn a captainship, and learning the ropes on what seems to be one of the more disciplined boats in the fleet. Josh was mostly just buying flatscreen tvs with his dad's credit card prior to his untimely death. It would have made a nice story to have him bring the Cornelia Marie back, but here we are.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm pretty sure it was Jake Harris, not Josh, who tried to bring the flat screen onto the boat. Up to now Josh had been working pretty hard to take over the CM, putting in all that time working on the Time Bandit and such. That being said it was shocking how indifferent the editing made Josh look while Casey was trying to repair the rudder,

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This reinvented Mythbusters seems to have pretty much settled down to be the same as the old one, minus the build team. They are still pretty much out of myths.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

smackfu posted:

This reinvented Mythbusters seems to have pretty much settled down to be the same as the old one, minus the build team. They are still pretty much out of myths.
Yeah, but I still prefer it without the build team. The show feels less disjointed, even though they're still bouncing back and forth between two myths every episode.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Cutting down on the number of myths per episode is about the only thing they could have done. I liked the build team but seeing more in-depth material and the iterations and prep work is a shot in the arm for the show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So far the only good part of this gun episode is johnathan banks, everything just seems brain dead obvious and really slight.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

howe_sam posted:

I'm pretty sure it was Jake Harris, not Josh, who tried to bring the flat screen onto the boat. Up to now Josh had been working pretty hard to take over the CM, putting in all that time working on the Time Bandit and such. That being said it was shocking how indifferent the editing made Josh look while Casey was trying to repair the rudder,

I wonder if the CM is the boat that discovery Channel covers part of their bid for quota that I mentioned earlier in the thread. Would make sense.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

howe_sam posted:

It was Jake who bought the flatscreen

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

haveblue posted:

Cutting down on the number of myths per episode is about the only thing they could have done. I liked the build team but seeing more in-depth material and the iterations and prep work is a shot in the arm for the show.
I am really enjoying the new episodes and format. A return to the building process is excellent, particularly intricate reverse engineering-heavy projects like the m60 turret. The subject matter doesn't have to be an UNDISCOVERED & NEVER BEFORE SEEN experiment to be enlightening or surprising, that's a silly expectation from a bygone age that also happened to include a frumpy unlikeable "mythologist".

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 18, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Yeah, it's the same as it ever was. I wish they'd stop the cheesy intros.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, it's the same as it ever was. I wish they'd stop the cheesy intros.

Awww, the one last week made me genuinely laugh out loud. Good use of the Jaime is a robot gag.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I wonder how they got so many of the Breaking Bad people on the show. It's not like they're promoting it. But I suppose they've got nothing better to do.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

I wonder how they got so many of the Breaking Bad people on the show. It's not like they're promoting it. But I suppose they've got nothing better to do.

Probably fans of the show? When you're famous it seems like it's easy to get on these quasi reality shows.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I enjoyed this week's Mythbusters if only because its the first time Jaime has been better than Adam at something in a very long time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
BB had a tendency to MacGyver up abuses of science and engineering and then pretend to explain them with real principles and fact-checking that sort of thing is exactly Mythbuster's raison d'etre now.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I got a question. Since there is a discovery channel chase boat following all these boats why do they talk like they are in trouble if the boat should sink? Like Jake this episode said "If this tank fills up with water we are getting in a raft". But they aren't because theres a boat following you filming you. Also when Keith went near the russian border. You were not there alone, there was chase boat filming you. I assume they just act like there isn't a boat filming them to not ruin the immersion?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think the chase boat is there 24/7, in previous seasons they only had one boat acting as a camera ship for the entire fleet. Also in the first instance even if the chase boat was there they would still have to board a life raft to get over to it, so what Jake said isn't inaccurate.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

There isn't a chase boat for every boat on the show. There's 1 or 2 at most for the entire fleet, and just because there's a boat nearby doesn't guarantee you won't die in a horrifically dangerous catastrophic situation, such as business as usual on The Wizard. A bum part the other boat could help you with, sure, but capsizing or bursting into flame or being captained by Keith are disasters that no chase boat could help you survive.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

IRQ posted:

There isn't a chase boat for every boat on the show. There's 1 or 2 at most for the entire fleet, and just because there's a boat nearby doesn't guarantee you won't die in a horrifically dangerous catastrophic situation, such as business as usual on The Wizard. A bum part the other boat could help you with, sure, but capsizing or bursting into flame or being captained by Keith are disasters that no chase boat could help you survive.

Someday he'll find a greenhorn that isn't a drug addict, has two knees, doesn't go into dehydration from seasickness... gently caress, even Captain Rex Ryan over there had a functioning crew this time around.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Someday he'll find a greenhorn that isn't a drug addict, has two knees, doesn't go into dehydration from seasickness... gently caress, even Captain Rex Ryan over there had a functioning crew this time around.

Him and wild bill both. Wild Bill always gets poo poo greenhorns it seems.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Him and wild bill both. Wild Bill always gets poo poo greenhorns it seems.

"If you run into an rear end in a top hat in the morning, you ran into an rear end in a top hat. If you run into assholes all day, you're the rear end in a top hat." -Raylan Givens, Justified

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

IRQ posted:

being captained by Keith are disasters that no chase boat could help you survive.

Keith even drove Freddy insane!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I think Freddy may have been insane to begin with. Did anyone check Keith for brain damage after he dove under the boat and it cracked his head open?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Norwegian Rudo posted:

"If you run into an rear end in a top hat in the morning, you ran into an rear end in a top hat. If you run into assholes all day, you're the rear end in a top hat." -Raylan Givens, Justified

I know editing is editing but he wasn't that mean to the guy this past Tuesday and over the show and he bitched out. He needs to stop recruiting 19-23 year olds with jack poo poo fishing experience. That woman would have been fine had she had more man strength that Keith got.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

I know editing is editing but he wasn't that mean to the guy this past Tuesday and over the show and he bitched out. He needs to stop recruiting 19-23 year olds with jack poo poo fishing experience. That woman would have been fine had she had more man strength that Keith got.

Apparently she was sick of the film crew trying to get hot dirt on her love life or whatever too.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I wonder if bill picks up these terrible greenhorns just to stay on the show. I mean besides seeing how bad is his greenhorn going to gently caress up what else does he have going to be on the show? His deckhands are boring and hes just an angry old man most of the time. And hes near the bottom of the pack in amount of crab gathered. It's always north western, time bandit, and the wizard at the top.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

I wonder if bill picks up these terrible greenhorns just to stay on the show. I mean besides seeing how bad is his greenhorn going to gently caress up what else does he have going to be on the show? His deckhands are boring and hes just an angry old man most of the time. And hes near the bottom of the pack in amount of crab gathered. It's always north western, time bandit, and the wizard at the top.

Pretty sure Bill is one of the most respected in the fleet, I know there was an episode where Jon and Andy said Bill has fished almost every fishery on the planet.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Photex posted:

Pretty sure Bill is one of the most respected in the fleet, I know there was an episode where Jon and Andy said Bill has fished almost every fishery on the planet.

Then why are his numbers always low and why does he keep getting lovely greenhorns?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

Then why are his numbers always low and why does he keep getting lovely greenhorns?

Wasn't his lovely greenhorn last year his son?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Wasn't his lovely greenhorn last year his son?

I don't remember. I thought Zac was his only son? I'd say make sure they have a fishing background but the guy he got the other season had a good fishing background and he bitched out as well. Clearly changing from the death race it used to be that made it the deadliest job in the world has made all new green horns soft.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Bill made his bones before the show started and retired to do other less hazardous fishing. Subsequently Bill came out of retirement, probably at the bequest of the show, but he doesn't have the same sort of contacts the other captains have to get a big quota, and his old crab fishing crew has scattered to the winds, so he has to build a new one with the dregs available.

Was I the only one who thought Sig was being an enormous hypocrite when he was talking about Jake Anderson, and how new captains have to rise through the ranks (work on deck, captain for salmon tendering, and then maybe you can run the boat for cab)? I mean, my recollection is Sig took over the Northwestern when he was in his early twenties. It really sounded to me like he was pissed that Jake was advancing his career outside of the way Sig was drawing it up and he no longer had that lever of control over the guy.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

because it's a quota system, he goes out and catches what they give him..

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Photex posted:

because it's a quota system, he goes out and catches what they give him..

Yea I think howe covered it nicely.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It's interesting the disparity between the seemingly well-oiled machines that are the Northwestern and Time Bandit and the disorganized messes like Every Other Boat.

I'd like to know how if Discovery has any influence on the hiring/"casting" of some of the lame-assed greenhorns the Wizard, Cape Caution, Saga, etc. get. Wild Bill's son going from John's cheerleader to worst enemy was interesting.

ToastyPotato posted:

I have never seen a behind the scenes explanation for how the captains can hear everything being said on deck. They make it seem like it is coming over an intercom, and I know that most of, if not all of the decks, do have one, but that is usually in one spot on the deck, and the person has to stand near it to use it. Not sure how people talking poo poo by the launcher are being heard over it. The microphone would have to be permanently transmitting, and also sensitive as hell, and I feel like they would mostly only be hearing wind, water, and mechanical noises at that point, based on my own experiences with various mics and recording in various conditions.

It would make more sense if the crew were wearing mics for production, which is something, again, I don't remember them mentioning BTS. Because then the captain could have an audio monitor just like the producers would (but it wouldn't sound like it does on the show, it would sound crystal clear, unless for some reason they were running the production audio through the radio speakers in the cabin.)

But it seems weird that they never bring that up in their BTS stuff, unless I have missed it.

Maybe I'm cynical, but in the world of "reality" shows, it doesn't make it feel very real if they admit on Behind The Catch that "we rig mics on deck and put a receiver in the wheelhouse so the captain has a reason to get visibly pissed".

I still think this is the most real docureality show there is today, but it's clear they're trying to shoehorn garbage in where they can.

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
Well when everybody else was finished wasn't Bill headed back out to catch bairdi?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's interesting the disparity between the seemingly well-oiled machines that are the Northwestern and Time Bandit and the disorganized messes like Every Other Boat.

I'd like to know how if Discovery has any influence on the hiring/"casting" of some of the lame-assed greenhorns the Wizard, Cape Caution, Saga, etc. get. Wild Bill's son going from John's cheerleader to worst enemy was interesting.

Maybe I'm cynical, but in the world of "reality" shows, it doesn't make it feel very real if they admit on Behind The Catch that "we rig mics on deck and put a receiver in the wheelhouse so the captain has a reason to get visibly pissed".

I still think this is the most real docureality show there is today, but it's clear they're trying to shoehorn garbage in where they can.
I'd change my tune pretty darn quick if someone I tried to help spit in my face and was like "nah gently caress you I'm out"

I think we also have to remember they shoot a poo poo load of hours of footage. I'm sure it's not super hard to find something they can edit to be interesting.

I think time bandit and northwestern do so well because they don't get greenhorns as often lately and the ones they got were pretty good and/or family. Not some random person.

spanky69 posted:

Well when everybody else was finished wasn't Bill headed back out to catch bairdi?

Ya half way through the season he got told his quota was wrong and because of a typo he had less quota.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
RE: Chase Boats

There are only a couple, and most of those external boat shots you see every episode are gathered within a short period of time. It's B-roll, and just shots that they can use as filler and to establish scenes and stuff. They probably have instructions to get B-roll of most of the boats for day time, night time (with rough see variants when possible) and both with ice variants. If they know something interesting maybe happening on a boat, they will send a chase boat their to grab it if possible.

I wonder how much longer Sig's crew is going to keep going. But when you make 112K during one Opie season, that is probably a good enough reason to stay. Also, I am guessing they don't film/show most of the season? Or did NW crew really make over $100k in 2-3 weeks?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

RE: Chase Boats

There are only a couple, and most of those external boat shots you see every episode are gathered within a short period of time. It's B-roll, and just shots that they can use as filler and to establish scenes and stuff. They probably have instructions to get B-roll of most of the boats for day time, night time (with rough see variants when possible) and both with ice variants. If they know something interesting maybe happening on a boat, they will send a chase boat their to grab it if possible.

I wonder how much longer Sig's crew is going to keep going. But when you make 112K during one Opie season, that is probably a good enough reason to stay. Also, I am guessing they don't film/show most of the season? Or did NW crew really make over $100k in 2-3 weeks?

They are on the boat for the whole season. And I guess the chase boat thing just confused me because they seem to match it up really well and make it look like the chase boat is there next to them when the scene is going on. Like when they were fixing the crane on the northwestern (i think) I am pretty sure the chase boat was there as they were doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I have enjoyed this company of mythbusters but man o hman i hate shark week and the mythbusters episode from last night just made me realize that. It is the first episode ifve skippedi n like 10 years. I Just hate shark week.

It doesnt seem anyone talks about naked and fraid XL? That has been one of the best television shows I've ever seen. It seems that discovery gets all the good shows that a lot of people miss. I loved bamazon and all those other crazy gold in the jungle shows. I hope there is more naked and afraid XL. 40 days naked in the wildnernesas ... how the hell is that even possible

• Locked thread