Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Put it on hot dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

withak posted:

Put it on hot dogs.

This.

Or get some nacho chips and do it like that with a bit of shredded cheese and sour cream.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

What exactly does one do with 4 to 5 quarts of inedible chili?

It feels wrong to just throw it away.
chili dogs or chili cheese nachos are the immediate fixes. You could also bulk it up with rice or pasta and have a whole meal, or freeze what you got and add small amounts of it to future chili batches.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

My sister mixes in a couple cups of cooked quinoa. It's tasty.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

What exactly does one do with 4 to 5 quarts of inedible chili?

It feels wrong to just throw it away.

If it's too spicy to eat, try adding things to turn that to your advantage. Try adding in some shaved dark chocolate and/or lots of cheese/sour cream. Even sugar and vinegar can help cut the spice. spicy chocolatey chili can be quite tasty.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You could also put it on rice, make that poo poo last forever.

I made chili yesterday with pork and beans, because I'm poor and the whole crock-pot of roughly a gallon came out to ~$5. It came out pretty well considering I was just eyeballing the seasonings. Probably should have added a bit more pork, trimmed the pork I did have, and used one onion instead of one and a half. I'm going through that bag of chile powder pretty quickly, so I'm going to be able to get into these whole chiles pretty soon. And once I'm done with those, I found a Tienda near here that has an actual selection, rather than just one kind of unspecified red chile.

Am I crazy to consider not putting tomato paste in my chili next time? I really prefer the spicy, meaty taste to the tomato taste.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You could also put it on rice, make that poo poo last forever.

I made chili yesterday with pork and beans, because I'm poor and the whole crock-pot of roughly a gallon came out to ~$5. It came out pretty well considering I was just eyeballing the seasonings. Probably should have added a bit more pork, trimmed the pork I did have, and used one onion instead of one and a half. I'm going through that bag of chile powder pretty quickly, so I'm going to be able to get into these whole chiles pretty soon. And once I'm done with those, I found a Tienda near here that has an actual selection, rather than just one kind of unspecified red chile.

Am I crazy to consider not putting tomato paste in my chili next time? I really prefer the spicy, meaty taste to the tomato taste.

By all means, skip the tomato. I like the acidity and sweetness of tomato paste in chili, but if you don't, go without. There are a lot of snobs who will insist that tomato never ever goes in chili.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Geez...did someone die or is summer the off-season for chili?

Anyhow - I have two basic chili recipes, a Texas style (for when I feel like doing a lot of work) and a Midwestern style (for when I feel like letting my crockpot do a lot of work). Midwestern version uses ground meat (pork, actually).

Regarding Midwestern style, I just got a food processor and I'm curious about grinding my own meat with it. Has anyone had experience with that? Does it matter with regards to chili?

Unrelated: I was at the local farmer's market the other day and spotted some curious-looking fresh chiles. They're about two inches long and shaped like jalapenos. They are orange (exactly like an orange bell/sweet pepper) in color though. The person working the stall didn't know what they were (she's the animal person) but offered me one to check out. Very hot. Somewhere north of a hotter strand of jalapeno. Never found a hot orange chile that wasn't a habanero (or scotch bonnet I guess) so I'm interested in identifying it. Next week I'll try to go back and see if they have someone more knowledgeable working. I'd definitely put them in a salsa or a chili.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Could be an aji amarillo? (caps. baccatum).

Though I grew a orange caps. annuum chilli once called Topaz, it's an F1 but it was from Europe.
Assuming you're in the USA, then it could be a caps. annuum orange numex chilli too. (New Mexico state university creates or refines many new varieties of chillies and sell them under the Numex name/brand).
I think I had one like that once, but can't find it in my seed collection, maybe "numex sunrise"? Numex usually stick to the milder heat caps annuum chillies. I think my topaz was around serrano heat level, not down there in jalapeno territory heat level like numex chillies often are.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 25, 2015

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
All good guesses but if google is to be trusted, none of them hit the mark. It did peripherally lead me to this though: https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Chilli_Pepper_Seed_Jalapeo_Numex_Piata/

The Jalapeno Numex Pinata resembles it superficially and supposedly has more heat than a standard jalapeno, so that's my best guess.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, for them you'd have to pick them before they turned, caps. annuum just want to be red. The topaz is an orange caps. annuum because it's a f1 hybrid, ie self collected seeds may not be orange and could do anything.

Even in Europe (Hungary) where they grow paprika and other caps annuum chillies to be black, in the end they turn red, they just develop them so they stay black for a long time before red so there's enough time to pick them while black.

While caps. baccatum are predominately orange or yellow (aji amarillo, aji lemon, aji pineapple, aji limo), and caps. chinense are every colour (orange habanero, red 7 pots, scoth bonnets and trinidad scorpians, yellow burkinas, fatalli, plus choc/brown varieties), plus being such a cross breeder.

Chillies are pretty fascinating in their 5 sub species plus how they have spread in the past 500 years and become so ingrained in cuisine around the world, plus they mutate so much.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 26, 2015

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Would someone mind posting Iron Leg's recipe? I've been searching the thread for it but no luck.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

kaujot posted:

Would someone mind posting Iron Leg's recipe? I've been searching the thread for it but no luck.

Third post of this very thread.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FaradayCage posted:

Geez...did someone die or is summer the off-season for chili?
I'm waiting for fall and I'm going to make the gently caress out of some chili.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I like Cayenne

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Hi everyone, I'm a complete novice to cooking in general but decided to make the first chili recipe on the first page today (Iron Leg's). Am I supposed to leave it covered or uncovered during cooking?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Depends on the consistency. If it's soupy, cook it uncovered. If it gets to the right consistency, but the meat isn't tender enough yet, cover it.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
sounds good. Thanks for the reply :)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
if you dry it out and have a long time left to cook just add a small amount of water and mix it in

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Jose posted:

if you dry it out and have a long time left to cook just add a small amount of beer/stock and mix it in

Ftfy

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What he fixed. I recommend a chocolate stout. Or something lighter like a wheat ale if you're not about the heavy roasted coffee/chocolate flavor.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I've always liked stouts in chili and stew but sometimes they can be a bit too strong. While I like chocolate stout, I prefer unsweetened chocolate for that kind of dark taste. Ales can be good but are ususally way more subtle.

I've had good results with Newcastle actually. It adds a very mild bit of sweet and nuttiness

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Stout is ale.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
well never mind I am just retarded

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

THE MACHO MAN posted:

well never mind I am just retarded

While I am not an expert on this, I think you were actually correct and the person that corrected you without knowing what they are talking about is the retard:

http://www.differencebetween.net/object/comparisons-of-food-items/difference-between-ale-and-stout/

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

I eat baby skin posted:

While I am not an expert on this, I think you were actually correct and the person that corrected you without knowing what they are talking about is the retard:

http://www.differencebetween.net/object/comparisons-of-food-items/difference-between-ale-and-stout/

It is ale in that it is generally made with ale, rather than lager, yeast, but as far as actual consumption it's a different style than ales (pale, amber, etc). I've always used pale ales in chili, so I can't say I've tried chili with stout

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

gwrtheyrn posted:

It is ale in that it is generally made with ale, rather than lager, yeast, but as far as actual consumption it's a different style than ales (pale, amber, etc). I've always used pale ales in chili, so I can't say I've tried chili with stout

Pale ales in general work well with chili, if you're working with a mole bust out a stout.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've settled on using porters in chili. Stouts seemed to make it slightly bitter or some other flavor I didn't care for. The ales are okay and a nice sweet ale gives a mild bump in flavor. But porters seem to hit the sweet spot of adding good flavors without making the chili taste weird.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Coopers Red an Australian beer that the rest of the world probably hasn't heard of is my chili beer of choice after much experimentation.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008
Shiner Bock.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I like a thick, smokey porter and also a shot of tequila for sweetness.

Also - I recently grabbed a big bag of whole dried kashmiri red chilis for use in Indian food and got to thinking - anybody ever used these guys in chili? Maybe mixed with some other, more traditional peppers?

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

I chilied again. This time I used cubed beef heart instead of stew beef. It tastes great, but almost a day of simmering only made it tender instead of fall apart. Next time I'm going to pressure cook it first. Agreeing with porters for chili. It's so good I don't even use beef broth anymore. Chili paste + fresh chilies + beer gives enough moisture.

Also Cincinnati chili is great, gently caress the haters. 5 ways 4 lyfe!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I've never tried a chili with a bock or porter, but I can imagine it would be a great choice. I think the yeast coopers use in their ales are much too fruity tasting.
Back in the 1990s a local aussie brewery made a bock that was the world's greatest beer IMO. Unfortunately the brewery caught on fire or went bust, or went bust and mysteriously caught on fire, so it was lost to me.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

P_T_S posted:

I chilied again. This time I used cubed beef heart instead of stew beef. It tastes great, but almost a day of simmering only made it tender instead of fall apart. Next time I'm going to pressure cook it first. Agreeing with porters for chili. It's so good I don't even use beef broth anymore. Chili paste + fresh chilies + beer gives enough moisture.

Also Cincinnati chili is great, gently caress the haters. 5 ways 4 lyfe!

Beef heart is super duper duper lean so long simmers don't really do much for its tenderness. Heart is more akin to a quick-cooking steak than a braising cut, like chuck.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
octoberfest makes the best chili, so pretty much this is the best time of year to make chili.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
The problem with saying porters / stouts/ whatever style does a particular thing is that there are huge variations across each style in flavor profile. E.g. a stout can taste very choc-lately, or can taste more milky or can be neither. Or even within chocolate stouts- some use actual chocolate (cocoa solids usually) and some just use "chocolate" malt which is just barley that has been toasted for a longer time. In addition beers have a much wider range in alcohol content (3- 11+ %) but I doubt the alcohol content matters too much or even at all for chili.

I eat baby skin posted:

Also stouts are a type of ale!

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 20, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Bacon stout. Boom. Done.

(Don't do this.)

The best beer to use is the one that you like to drink.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

adorai posted:

octoberfest makes the best chili, so pretty much this is the best time of year to make chili.

chili'd yesterday because its football season and why the hell not?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/easy-pork-three-bean-chili-food-lab-recipe.html

Sub'd beer in for half of the stock required.

So. Fuckin. Good.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Exciting chili recipe:

I was up in northern MN with limited supplies but I did have some Chuck steak and an onion that I'd picked up on the way, Cayenne, garlic powder, a little cumin, black pepper, and salt. Also some seasoned vinegar from the mid 90's (This is in 2010).

The stove was barely functioning and the spices I had were decades old and had almost no flavor. It was 20 miles or so to town and I didn't feel like driving. I seared off the cubed meat, threw everything else in with enough water to cover, and let it barely simmer covered for about 5 hours, adding water as needed.

It actually turned out to be incredible chili. If you add enough Cayenne and time, chili is always good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Today's a good day to chili