Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The rain in launch was alright. Quit being hyperbolic.

They're great now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

The rain in launch was alright. Quit being hyperbolic.

They're great now.
Was just going to edit to specify the rain effects on car windows where it looked like literally comic-book drawn water splashes (on the windshield especially, side windows looked just like motionless water droplets).

The rain effects in general were pretty good. Don't feel like my words were hyperbolic about how bad the windshield/windshield wiper rain was though.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

God drat the new dynamic water looks really cool. It's fantastic in motion.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The tire wear graphic is super helpful.

Boy, PCARS has come an awful long way.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Yeah I played a lot today. It's finally ready to play in career mode.

It's going to hold me over quite nicely until FM6 comes out.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Forza 6 will be a cool and good game, but I do not see me quitting PCARS any time soon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

T1g4h posted:

God drat!!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Forza 6 will be a cool and good game, but I do not see me quitting PCARS any time soon.

I could say the same if they added a ton of street cars.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Driveclub, PCARS, and Forza 6 are all so utterly complimentary to each other. What a great year for racing games.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Just tested it out and yes it does. Only gripe is I realized AI still don't turn on their headlights in the rain (did a race with thunderstorm conditions). :doh:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's most likely a technical limitation.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

What're you playing on the Wii U or some poo poo?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Wow, haven't played since 2 patches ago and it's looking and feeling much better now.

Going to have to put some more time into this, despite my old MS wheel being dead now :rip:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

GutBomb posted:

Yeah I played a lot today. It's finally ready to play in career mode.
Yeah, loving that it: tells me tire types in race, shows me wear, shows both wear and more accurate temperatures (instead of just cold, good, hot) on the normal HUD, gives a lap estimate for fuel amounts (on sample size one race it seems like a decent overestimate, not that that's a bad thing since running out of fuel is bad), the new cut track system seems fantastic to the point of maybe being the highlight of the patch to me (hell, it doesn't even invalidate for going off track by just getting wide on a turn enough for all four wheels to be off for a fraction of a second), and, to reiterate, the new rain looks great.

Only found one very minor bug so far: in the tuning menus when I down arrow (controller) to some of the settings they fade out like I couldn't change them, but I can, and then if I down arrow again it stays on the same car setting and is no longer faded out (and can still change).

Guess we'll see if any other cracks appear (still haven't mucked with some of the changes), but I agree with sentiment that this is looking more like things should've at launch.

That's most likely a technical limitation.
Wasn't that listed as a patch note for patch 2.0 or 2.5? I could swear I saw them mention that AI not using their headlights in the rain was fixed or to be fixed somewhere.

Don't most race cars (drivers?) have their lights on when it's light out anyway? Maybe they should just make AI always have them on if it is a technical issue (except on cars where it might increase drag like the BMW M1 Procar) since it's really hard to see other cars in heavy rain when they aren't braking with their lights off.

Basticle posted:

What're you playing on the Wii U or some poo poo?
Huh? If that was directed at my comments on the pre-patch rain on windows looking real bad: no, I'm on PC with most settings at med/high. Glancing at videos, it looks like there was less bad (actually looking like rain drops) rain on windows effects based on some graphical setting, but still totally stationary which was a big ruiner of the effect.

New rain looks reasonably like actual rain on a windshield with the same graphical quality I had before rather than the image I linked above. :shrug:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Cars should turn on their headlights for heavy enough rain, I did a race at Imola on the last patch that had rain for a few laps and AI headlights went on when it rained and off when it stopped.

E: I may be wrong but I'm 90% sure you get split times on/after invalidated laps now :toot:

E2: anyone have a guide on how to set up a pit stop for when it rains? I'm terrible in the rain and I'm pretty sure part of it is because when I go out on wet tires they overheat super quickly and I don't know how to fix it.

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 15, 2015

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

it was a joke

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hey so like the fuel load I take for qualifying and race is what the AI takes too yea?

Also, pit stops are cool. Had a fun 8 lap race on Watkins Glen GP with x6 tire wear or whatever.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I don't know for certain, but I'm confident the AI do not copy the player's fuel load. Between the patch (1.0? 1.5?) saying that they fixed the AI always taking full fuel for qualifying/short races and first hand experience in endurance races when I take a full fuel load and usually drop a few positions at the start of the race to AI that later pit well before me (presumably due to needing fuel since they had a lot less on board), I'm pretty sure AI does their own thing for fuel. I'm pretty sure it even depends on the AI, I've seen some AI do full tank runs in Endurance races (like I do) whilst others are doing half tank runs; full tank runs always win, stupid AI!*

* At the very least, it makes no sense to not take a full tank for the first run of the race since you don't lose time doing so (half vs. full tank on pit lane is ~20 second difference in pit time on the two cars I've done endurance racing with [RWD LMP1, McLaren F1]); I've occasionally swapped to half-tank runs after the first though in case of accidents/weather interfering so I wouldn't have to do a partial pit; nothing worse than having to pit in early with still plenty of fuel because you hit something or it started raining.

Captain Novolin posted:

Cars should turn on their headlights for heavy enough rain, I did a race at Imola on the last patch that had rain for a few laps and AI headlights went on when it rained and off when it stopped.

E2: anyone have a guide on how to set up a pit stop for when it rains? I'm terrible in the rain and I'm pretty sure part of it is because when I go out on wet tires they overheat super quickly and I don't know how to fix it.
Maybe they only do it with dynamic weather and they forgot to make them do it when it's preset? It was full on thunderstorm weather so it was raining as hard as the game allows, but it was also a quick race that started in it so maybe they don't register in that case. Definitely something amiss. Made the replay less cool with me as the only one with lights on (in dead last... my bright idea of using the Default setup on a high power RWD car I hadn't driven yet [Pagani Zonda R] in the rain on a track I've never driven before [Bugatti Circuit]).

Even after the most recent patch? That was a bug where pit stops were giving the wrong tire pressures entirely causing overheating (regardless of weather) after pit stops.

If it's still happening: 1. it probably depends on vehicle (more specifically: the tires they use, their volume) and 2. is likely happening because differences in the tire pressure that's appropriate for wet vs. dry. I don't think there's any quick and easy way to tell how much you should raise the tire pressures, but you can look at how hot they're running on the diagnostic HUD (good temperature range is like 180~210F) and get an idea of whether you need to add a good amount of pressure (0.10+ bar) or a little (0.02 bar). Not sure if this is a fully correct thought process, but it might work out: use the diagnostic HUD to see the pressures you're running in the dry when at steady(ish, they usually fluctuate around the track) temperatures, use it to see the pressures you're running in the wet (presumably lower which is why they're overheating), and then adjust the setup to reflect the difference so you're running the same pressures in the wet which should theoretically have the same temperatures then (same pressure at same volume = same temperature).

So, I guess the straightforward answer to fix it is: increase tire pressures (the only thing that changes tire temperatures aside from some suspension [notably camber] settings altering the temperature distribution across the tire). The answer of how much besides just guess is a toss up (unless my thought process above is correct, but that might be more time consuming than desirable). I always just ignored tires overheating (a lot of cars are fine with the same pressures in the wet), but, now that I can finally see tire wear without a tablet app, maybe I'll be more conscious about trying to fix it. Lastly, if it's light rain (and not getting heavier as per the new forecast thing), Intermediates might be a better option than wets if possible.

Basticle posted:

it was a joke
:sweatdrop:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I would like SMS to implement a series creator mode. Pick league rules like fuel restrictions, tire wear acceleration, tracks, laps, etc.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I would like SMS to implement a series creator mode. Pick league rules like fuel restrictions, tire wear acceleration, tracks, laps, etc.

Very few racing games have this for some reason, where there is a series creation tool its usually only choosing tracks with no rule options or even the ability to change the point structure.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Reminder that I'm gonna put a lobby up in a couple of hours, anyone planning on coming?

p.s. I havent actually played since the last patch am I going to have to redo all my wheel settings?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Basticle posted:

Reminder that I'm gonna put a lobby up in a couple of hours, anyone planning on coming?

p.s. I havent actually played since the last patch am I going to have to redo all my wheel settings?

Control settings ought to be fine. It's any tune you might've done that could need work. SMS did a lot to change tire heating for some car classes like Formula A and road cars.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've got a thing I need to be at around 6 tonight but I will come to future lobbies if people are interested in doing them again

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Welp, bought the processor then proceded to break the motherboard removing the old processor :suicide:

11 more days until I can afford a new one :sigh:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Kilonum posted:

Welp, bought the processor then proceded to break the motherboard removing the old processor :suicide:

11 more days until I can afford a new one :sigh:

How did you manage this

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

ethanol posted:

How did you manage this

Didn't have a good enough grip on the Pentium G3258 I pulled out, dropped it on the socket, bending a shitton of pins... which are loving tiny and part of the socket.

New processor is an i7-4790K

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Yeah, my first time working with LGA1150, didn't realize the pins weren't on the processor itself. Last time I had Intel was a Pentium III 800MHz.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, at least with the old chips, the pins on them were fairly solid. The new spring pins on the mobo just seem like a recipe for disaster.

HSF mounting solutions are constantly vascillating between great and terrible for whatever reason. Intel will come out with an easy to use mounting solution for a while, and then change it up to something terrible. I don't see why they can't have a system like the little tension bar they use for securing down the chip itself. Something where you could mount the HSF, attach some clips loosely, and the swing down a bar to tension everything evenly. None of this poo poo where you have to put the weight of a car down on the HSF to get it to lock in, hoping the chip doesn't crack, or those lovely locking push-clips at each corner which mean you can't tension the thing evenly on all sides at once.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The "Socket" series was my favorite, with the little arm you pushed down and snapped into a clip. Worked well and unless you used the cpu like a frisbee you weren't going to bend pins. The 90's versions were the best, they did some minor loving around after that and they got kind of lovely.

Slot and LGA were/are really lovely.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

lobby is up

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Kilonum posted:

Didn't have a good enough grip on the Pentium G3258 I pulled out, dropped it on the socket, bending a shitton of pins... which are loving tiny and part of the socket.

New processor is an i7-4790K

you do know the nissan skyline processors came out yesterday

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

ethanol posted:

you do know the nissan skyline processors came out yesterday

which would have necessitated buying a new motherboard and RAM on top of a new processor. I only had money for one of the 3.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005
On sale at gamers gate for $30.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-PCARS/project-cars

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I just heard of this game for the first time today looking at racing sims. I'm looking for something really specific in a racing game, and I'm thinking this game might be it, but I wanted to get an opinion or two first. I haven't really played any racing games since GT4, and I'm looking for a fun, engaging single player career mode that I can dump a bunch of hours into like I did in that game. I bought driveclub at full price, where the career mode is godawful, so I'm kind of wary about finding something that I can enjoy playing the poo poo out of. How fun is it to start off in the go kart series and work your way up to the top? And for those of you who play all the racing games, how does the single player career in this game compare to others? Is there something better you'd recommend? The only other game I've found that has piqued my interest is Moto GP 15, but I don't know much about racing games in general. I'd prefer detailed sims, but a little bit of arcadiness is fine so long as the progression and growth as a driver is a long, but fun process. Looking at the PS4 version if that matters.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 22, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It depends on what you liked about GT4. Project CARS doesn't have in game money you use to buy cars. It doesn't have street cars, only race cars. (Well, there are 3 or 4 street cars but nothing like GT/Forza)

What it does have is realistic racing series with things like qualifying, flags, pit stops, extensive car tuning, and a decent online experience when you're racing with people you know.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Mainly the starting from the bottom and working your way up aspect of the career mode. That was such a long process with so many different routes to go that I probably spent over 50 hours doing it. I know you can start at the top if you want in project cars, but you don't have to. My bigger concern is the process of working your way up. Like I'm not going to get bored with it because it's really short or dry. I also really liked how you could upgrade cars you bought which gave you a sense of doing good = better chances of winning. Project CARS looks like it does this through switching teams to sort of simulate earning your way up to teams with bigger budgets, better crews, and nicer equipment? If that's how it works, that sounds awesome.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea pcars has that. There's a video on YouTube that explains the career mode in detail.

If you're on a gamepad, let us know so we can give you settings. The game plays terribly by default.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think most people gave up on the career mode because you can win the championship in your discipline and not get promoted to the next tier. I know I did 3 seasons in Formula Rookie before getting bored and just giving up. Also career doesn't unlock anything and you can start at any level so there's an element of having to create your own goals there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What are the controller settings on PS4 people are using with the Dualshock controller?

• Locked thread