Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

Part of that is the trick of perspective, as the three on the right are several feet ahead of the rest. If Logan caught up he'd probably be maybe like 2 inches taller than Emma. Kitty meanwhile looks absolutely tiny, and Hank's enormous, being even farther behind than the other two.
The thing is that the art doesn't communicate this at all. Even removing the shadows which suggest that Logan is no more than a step behind Emma (and actually FORWARD of Storm), their bodies are doing all sorts of weird perspective things if you look only at the top or bottom halves of their bodies.

Specifically:
-Emma's shadow and feet suggest she's a little bit ahead of Scott (maybe half a step), but her torso is roughly the same distance from the camera. She might be pulling his arm forward a little, but this isn't really communicated well, if at all.

-Storm is a little bit behind Scott, with her front foot about to land between where his are placed. This mostly works, though her shoulder would probably be hitting his tricep if that were the case.

-Wolverine's front foot is similarly about to drop midway between Emma's feet, but if that were the case, there'd be no room for her cape to be fluttering around and he'd be hitting her rear end with his arm.

-Kitty's front foot is no more than even with Logan's front foot, and really looks to be forward of it, meanwhile her arm is behind his, so she's either throwing it way behind her for no reason or her torso is drawn behind his.

-Beast is very obviously behind Kitty and Logan except his shadow is showing him to be at about the same spot as Logan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

If it was a side view you'd see they were all walking like this

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

If you're gonna be a stickler for anatomy, spell it right! ;)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:colbert:

(Though yes, triceps is probably more correct.)

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm planning on doing an actual :effort: post about Naoki Urasawa but for now just enjoy this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Sorry, I know it's a classic from a different era and maybe this was great then but I can't help but notice nobody's posted the reprinted first appearance of Archie from Archie #1 (or originally Pep Comics #22)

AHHH

AHHH

AHHHH

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Unmature posted:

I'm planning on doing an actual :effort: post about Naoki Urasawa but for now just enjoy this.

Approves:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TwoPair posted:

Sorry, I know it's a classic from a different era and maybe this was great then but I can't help but notice nobody's posted the reprinted first appearance of Archie from Archie #1 (or originally Pep Comics #22)

AHHH

AHHH

AHHHH

Was this meant to illustrate the dangers of wanton inbreeding to kids? Why would he want to be called "Chick"?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A two second search tells me he was only called that in his first story and promptly dropped it. It's not the only thing that was changed sooner or later. Betty Cooper was more like Veronica than how she's portrayed now.

That said, for 1941 art, that's not terrible. Good sense of perspective, decent detailing, and good expressions. Archie Chick is pretty horrifying, though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Discendo Vox posted:

Ohh, now I get it. It's just that Storm and Emma's breasts and hips are much closer to us, while the rest of them are off in the distance. :v:
Something like this?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Something like this?

Exactly. Also, I feel I no longer need sleep.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Something like this?

Schwing!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Edit: poo poo, this is the art thread not the funny thread!

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 7, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Anyway, this cover looks cool.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just saw a preview for this week's We Are Robin and got reminded about the amazing variants covers it gets.

The previous two.

What would y'all think about a thread devoted to covers? I've been thinking about starting one for a long time.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

What would y'all think about a thread devoted to covers? I've been thinking about starting one for a long time.

I think it's a great idea.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As long as Del Mundo is in the OP, OP.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Is that from Austin's classic run?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I love melting noodle wings

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Thought this was an Iceman panel for a good ten seconds.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's easy to miss because of the... everything else, but the penciller didn't even try to draw holes in Warren's jacket for the wings.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just saw a preview for this week's We Are Robin and got reminded about the amazing variants covers it gets.

The previous two.

Given the sheer amount of Brian Bolland that will be in it? Good idea.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Reminds me of the earliest appearances of Hawkman, where the artist steadfastly refuses to allow his wings to fit into the panel. Any panel.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Jedit posted:

Given the sheer amount of Brian Bolland that will be in it? Good idea.

Looking forward to lots of Ed Hannigan too.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

George Perez is the king of drawing shapely as gently caress legs.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Wendell posted:

George Perez is the king of drawing shapely as gently caress legs.

drat Robin you can cut back on your leg days

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Batmobile is actually pedal powered.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That genuinely makes me wonder why no one did "Flintstones Batman" at some point between the 60s and early 90s.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

That genuinely makes me wonder why no one did "Flintstones Batman" at some point between the 60s and early 90s.
Well, this:

used to be displayed in the entrance of Hanna-Barbera Studios at one point.

But a full-on stone age Bat-story would be pretty fun.

Killer Rock
Scarecrag
Harvey Flint
Victor Freestone
Harley Quinzite
Oswald Pebblepot
Amygdalava
Slate Wilson
Professor Pyrite
Clayfacet
Henri Ducaret
Selina Coral

i could do this all day

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 25, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

mind the walrus posted:

:smith:

EDIT: MOTHERFUCKER

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

redbackground posted:

But a full-on stone age Bat-story would be pretty fun.

Well, Return Of Bruce Wayne kind of counts

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Chinaman7000 posted:

drat Robin you can cut back on your leg days

NEVER!!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

"After being defeated due to poor leg strength, Raven and the Titans work out their lower bodies and become the League of Legs."

WHAT?

That sounds hilarious.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wendell posted:

"After being defeated due to poor leg strength, Raven and the Titans work out their lower bodies and become the League of Legs."

WHAT?

That sounds hilarious.

Teen Titans Go is hilarious. If you've heard bad things about it, you should regard the people you heard them from with suspicion.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wendell posted:

WHAT?

That sounds hilarious.

It's a funny show!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

"I threw a croc at him!"

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Genuinely thought you just went to the wikia and wrote this yourself as a joke. That was the only thing my brain could process as believable at first.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Chinaman7000 posted:

Genuinely thought you just went to the wikia and wrote this yourself as a joke. That was the only thing my brain could process as believable at first.

Captain Cankle don't joke around son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the Sailor Moon transformation sequence broke my brain.