Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

LLSix posted:

I'm also completely out of manpower, and have bottomed out in both of the last two wars because I can't chase the enemy army down and have to fight it over and over again. What tricks are there for gaining manpower or keeping it up now?

Manpower is just more important now. A massive nation that can afford mercenaries still doesn't need to worry about it but smaller ones are likely to bottom out on most engagements. All of them will bottom you out now if you don't siege inteligently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Does anyone have a suggestion what to call my Ottoman eastern america colonial nation?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Contingency Plan posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion what to call my Ottoman eastern america colonial nation?

Thirteen Ottomans. Alternatively, Ottomerica.

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015
United American Emirates.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Contingency Plan posted:

Sultan Mehmed Fatih's Holiday Home

(in honor of DDRJake's Ryukyu run)

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Contingency Plan posted:

The Janissary Shuffle

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Contingency Plan posted:

Thanks, Obama

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Contingency Plan posted:

The United Sheikhs.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Contingency Plan posted:

Garbî Ülkesi, if you can fit the appropriate marks in? I don't know Ottoman Turkish, but that old Ottoman map of North America that's been floating around on the net recently had the English colonies as İngliz Cumhurunun Ülkesi, “The Country of the English People” with Google Translate telling me "Ülkesi" was the "Country" part of that name. They also had the Western Sioux on the map as Siyu-yu Garbî, while the Eastern Sioux were Siyu-yu Şarkî, so I'd guess that Garbî means (or meant, if the Turkish language reforms did something later on) "Western".

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Quick stupid question, since I don't play in Europe much: I am not in the HRE, Burgundy is in the HRE, in the "Declare War" box Austria (the emperor) is checked as a co-belligerent but the two are rivals and Austria has the big red X next to them. The declare war box says "Austria is the emperor, and will protect them!" So... is Austria going to join the war, or not?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Two of my vassals just got uppity because I gave them too much land and rebelled. They're not listed as diplomatic relationships anymore. If I win this war, do I need to vassalize them in the peace deal or will a white peace bring them back under my command?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

They need to demand independence in order to go free. Even concessions other than that still leave them as subjects.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Prop Wash posted:

Quick stupid question, since I don't play in Europe much: I am not in the HRE, Burgundy is in the HRE, in the "Declare War" box Austria (the emperor) is checked as a co-belligerent but the two are rivals and Austria has the big red X next to them. The declare war box says "Austria is the emperor, and will protect them!" So... is Austria going to join the war, or not?

No if the Emperor hates a subject enough they won't come to their defense. The only exception is if you attack a free city state, in which case the Emperor has to come to their defense no matter what I believe.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
MEIOU got updated for Common Sense.

It's like staring into the sun.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

God help me, I'm being triggered.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
i can understand the appeal of the grognardy mess on that map but why modders feel the need to change stuff like the the interface for your diplomats and missionaries and so on from the perfectly functional one done by a professional artist into that fuzzy poo poo is beyond me.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
that is astoundingly bad and ugly

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Oh my god I don't think I've looked at MEIOU & Taxes since it was first released for EU4.

and check out all their Native Americans in North America!

The one upshot is that I recall in EU3's MEIOU, England started off culturally in the Occitan group, and they seen to've dropped that now, at least.

On the other hand, they don't seem to have done much to colonial regions to offset all the extra provinces they've added:

although they did add, for some odd reason

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Koramei posted:

i can understand the appeal of the grognardy mess on that map but why modders feel the need to change stuff like the the interface for your diplomats and missionaries and so on from the perfectly functional one done by a professional artist into that fuzzy poo poo is beyond me.

It was one of MEIOU's signature features in EU3. Apparently they couldn't bear to part with it now that the default interface is actually good.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jazerus posted:

It was one of MEIOU's signature features in EU3. Apparently they couldn't bear to part with it now that the default interface is actually good.

I mean, when you consider what early EU3 looked like

yeah that visual style used to be an improvement

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I totally forgot the EU3 modding scene's (or at least MEIOU's) fascination with 1356 stats. Which is now even more absurd.

MrKonarski
May 9, 2012

Another Person posted:

that is astoundingly bad and ugly

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Pakled posted:

I mean, when you consider what early EU3 looked like

yeah that visual style used to be an improvement

based on eu3, if we were doing our MP session in that I would have like 4 provinces looking at that Lubeck node

also, here, have an advertisement for why EUIV MP rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPP1mBcZf-E

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why are the borders so wobbly and wiggly??

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
because mod makers cannot settle for aesthetically pleasing while performing at a similar level, they must have exact

which means borders with juts in and out every couple of milimetres because if that hill is not within the bulgarian borders as they were in one specific period of time then they will scream

map modders lack a sense of "that will do"

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
As much as I like earlier starts, the mods that implement them are just so bad.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
For the Je Maintiendrai achievement (forming the Netherlands as a Dutch minor), can you also do it with a Flemish minor? I've been considering doing it but Holland has become too cliché to my hipster tastes and would like to try it as Brabant or Flanders.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
No, it has to be a country whose primary culture is Dutch:

code:
possible = {
		NOT = { num_of_custom_nations = 1 }
		normal_or_historical_nations = yes	
		normal_province_values = yes
		ironman = yes
		start_date = 1444.11.11
		primary_culture = dutch
		NOT = { tag = NED }
	}
Not even sure culture shifting would count, because it may well check on the start date.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Deltasquid posted:

For the Je Maintiendrai achievement (forming the Netherlands as a Dutch minor), can you also do it with a Flemish minor? I've been considering doing it but Holland has become too cliché to my hipster tastes and would like to try it as Brabant or Flanders.

You have to have Dutch as your primary culture, I can't remember if they changed Brabant or Flanders for 1.12 but if the primary culture is Dutch it should be doable.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Thank you. That's pretty disappointing, considering the Flemish cultures can also form the Netherlands.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Another Person posted:

because mod makers cannot settle for aesthetically pleasing while performing at a similar level, they must have exact

which means borders with juts in and out every couple of milimetres because if that hill is not within the bulgarian borders as they were in one specific period of time then they will scream

map modders lack a sense of "that will do"

My favorite part in this is that they miss the mark not only on the gameplay part but on the history as well. The game's design requires you to have static and clear-cut borders, but pre-modern administrative units were, by their very nature, flexible and open to reinterpretation. So congrats modder guy. You made a map that is somewhat a bit more "accurate" for the year 1356, but makes no sense at all for the year 1780, plus its ugly and backwards as gently caress to play in.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Since I treat this thread like an EU4 blog sometimes, I figure I may as well continue and ask for some advice. Like my recent posts have said, I'm trying a Pester John achievement. I've hit a roadblock. The Ottomans are enormously powerful and we are now in a state of eternal war or white peace. I am allied to Lithuania, Austria, and The Papal State. The Ottomans only have a couple vassals. Every time the white peace expires, within days he declares war. His stacks decimate mine, because he's two levels of mil tech higher than I am (I've never been behind on military, I haven't wasted it on development or too many Defensive ideas) with a tactics advantage. Luckily, since every time he declares war, he has to fight a three front battle. Austria+Pope, and Lithuania lose to him, and so do I, but he doesn't focus on me so I can get a white peace since he has war exhaustion. If I try to go on the offensive, his superior army wastes me. I can't do the Bosphorous Cockblock, he has around 180 ships. My force limit is 90. I can't afford it. My income is barely above zero, despite having a million gold provinces.

Force limits for Ethiopia are 107 while Ottomans are 202. It's a similar story for naval. I've tried other allies like Spain and Portugal, but they decided to break alliance and royal marriage even though they have no claims on my provinces or any missions that target me. They would accept my alliances again, but I can't send one since my opinion of them is so low. I could continue to royal marry them and have them immediately break the marriage and send my opinion of them to -999 if I wanted to. The Pope and Austria have done random alliance breaking too, but I didn't have a royal marriage with Austria so I could immediately get the alliance back. And you can't RM the Pope, so I could ally them the day after they broke the alliance. There is something odd with having allies that are a long distance from you.

Like I said, I have pretty much a neutral income. In cases like these I would usually expand the other direction, wait until I'm more powerful, then attack. But since the Ottomans are declaring war as soon as the white peace is over, I can't leave my borders unprotected and can't declare any wars on Asia or Africa. If I do, and the Ottomans declare war, I'm boned. They aren't letting me expand.

Here's a picture of the situation. Does anyone know what I can do here?

e: It's 1655, so I have plenty of time, if I can get out of this endless cycle.

Node fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 23, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Another Person posted:

also, here, have an advertisement for why EUIV MP rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPP1mBcZf-E

Oh you only took a small snippet!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Groogy posted:

Oh you only took a small snippet!

I wanted to make it only 49 seconds so it may pass as an official posting of the original EUIV trailer, like something sent out by you guys as official press. The masterplan!

it is probs as good as a real trailer for a true EU experience tho, hahah

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
code:
# Very Hard
achievement_albania_or_iberia = {
	id = 105

possible = {
		NOT = { num_of_custom_nations = 1 }
		normal_or_historical_nations = yes	
		normal_province_values = yes
		ironman = yes
		start_date = 1444.11.11
		tag = ALB
	}

happened = {
		has_switched_nation = no
		iberian_peninsula = {
			type = all
			country_or_vassal_holds = ROOT
		}
		caucasus = {
			type = all
			country_or_vassal_holds = ROOT
		}
	}
}
I actually culture shifted to Crotatian so this should be fun, since I can do Krabatar after this one.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Does anyone know how inheriting electorates work? I know I've done it once in an earlier version. From an earlier test it doesn't seem to work for non HRE members. Does being Emperor block it too?

TomEmanski
Dec 29, 2008
Recently started an African Power play through and think I have hit a roadblock.

Every thing was going really well. Had conquered Benin and had begun to expand into the surrounding territories. I also had just started to colonize the cape. I had converted to catholic earlier. I had royal marriages and alliances with Castile and Portugal. Unfortunately my heir and ruler died in rapid sequence and am now in a PU with Castile. Portugal has declared a succession war with me and their former ally, Castile.

Is there any way I can take advantage of the strife and break the PU? I have very little experience with Personal union strategies and looking for advice on breaking them. Obviously both Portugal and Castile are way ahead of me militarily at this point in the game and I can't match their navies. Alternatively, would it be easier to just give up on this run although it was going very well until now.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Node posted:

Since I treat this thread like an EU4 blog sometimes, I figure I may as well continue and ask for some advice. Like my recent posts have said, I'm trying a Pester John achievement. I've hit a roadblock. The Ottomans are enormously powerful and we are now in a state of eternal war or white peace. I am allied to Lithuania, Austria, and The Papal State. The Ottomans only have a couple vassals. Every time the white peace expires, within days he declares war. His stacks decimate mine, because he's two levels of mil tech higher than I am (I've never been behind on military, I haven't wasted it on development or too many Defensive ideas) with a tactics advantage. Luckily, since every time he declares war, he has to fight a three front battle. Austria+Pope, and Lithuania lose to him, and so do I, but he doesn't focus on me so I can get a white peace since he has war exhaustion. If I try to go on the offensive, his superior army wastes me. I can't do the Bosphorous Cockblock, he has around 180 ships. My force limit is 90. I can't afford it. My income is barely above zero, despite having a million gold provinces.
Can you push the border at all, so you defend in deserts of Arabia/Sinai? Defensive ideas, grab fort defense advisor, fortify some desert land on the border, use scorched earth when he's coming. Attrition in arid land with scorched earth can reach 15% and really ruin army of any size quickly.

Also try to ally UK, although useless on land they usually have a strong navy of heavies they gladly contribute.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Node posted:

In addition to the scorched earth recommendation, how is your income only neutral? You can probably mothball or scrap your bigboats, for one thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Node posted:

Force limits for Ethiopia are 107 while Ottomans are 202. It's a similar story for naval. I've tried other allies like Spain and Portugal, but they decided to break alliance and royal marriage even though they have no claims on my provinces or any missions that target me. They would accept my alliances again, but I can't send one since my opinion of them is so low. I could continue to royal marry them and have them immediately break the marriage and send my opinion of them to -999 if I wanted to. The Pope and Austria have done random alliance breaking too, but I didn't have a royal marriage with Austria so I could immediately get the alliance back. And you can't RM the Pope, so I could ally them the day after they broke the alliance. There is something odd with having allies that are a long distance from you.

Like I said, I have pretty much a neutral income. In cases like these I would usually expand the other direction, wait until I'm more powerful, then attack. But since the Ottomans are declaring war as soon as the white peace is over, I can't leave my borders unprotected and can't declare any wars on Asia or Africa. If I do, and the Ottomans declare war, I'm boned. They aren't letting me expand.

Here's a picture of the situation. Does anyone know what I can do here?

For Allies it looks like both Muscovy and Persia could be of help if you can get them onside.

You can start hiding your armies in Madagascar so you don't lose them. Once you catch up in tactics tech you can counter-attack after attrition and war-exhaustion have taken their toll. If you're losing every battle, there's not much point of having your troops guarding the border, that's just more warscore lost. Go ahead and expand in the other direction.

Honestly, that's a terrible situation; I don't think I'd have the guts to try and turn it around.

• Locked thread