Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
At least put it on a cool bike goddamn

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Linedance posted:

Existential crisis/EN bullshit chat:
Haven't ridden in a while.
Haven't ridden because riding sucks here. Straight roads full of traffic lights, poo poo traffic, no filtering, expensive ownership..
Six years in the UK prior feels like feasting at a banquet and now I'm being offered stale bread.
I'll be moving downtown by the lake from uptown by the 401 in the fall, and I'm seriously considering ditching the full size bike and getting a Grom or a scooter for an urban runaround plus a decent folding bike.
I'll be moving out west in a couple of years, I'm holding on to that like some kind of Promised Land, like OK Moses, I'll keep trekking through this desert, but you'd better be right about this.
Yes I should smack myself, but riding here already feels like self abuse, so in a way...

Have you headed north? Once you're out of the GTA the riding can get much better. Don't head west unless you're following a shoreline.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I test rode the Zero DS today and I've gotta say, it was pretty nice. It feels weird not having a clutch and not shifting. Its super quiet and when at a stop it feels dead. No vibrations or anything. The torque is fun at all ranges. It's a nice bike, low maintenance, and cheap fuel, but dang they're expensive. Unfortunately no long rides on it, so a second bike would be necessary for that.

If I had the money, I would definitely get one for around town.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Deeters posted:

Expect a cease and desist from Harvard J. Nasty, Esq

You'll be hearing from his attorney soon enough.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Linedance posted:

Haven't ridden because riding sucks here. Straight roads full of traffic lights, poo poo traffic, no filtering, expensive ownership..
and I'm seriously considering ditching the full size bike and getting a Grom or a scooter for an urban runaround

Florida.txt

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wasn't paying attention and filtered up to a light today... pulling right in front of an unmarked car. Didn't even know until the light went green and he lit me up. I was polite and did all the nice things, plus was in full gear, so he was really cool and lenient. Apparently he used to be a motorcycle officer. He just kept saying that while lots of bikers filtered, and I clearly had done it before because I was so fluid with it, that "you just can't do that here. You can't do that. It's unsafe and not allowed". Then he let me off with a warning and told me to ride safe.

I love how cool the police I've dealt with have been with riders. Thing is, I can't even find out what the fine or penalty would be for being ticketed doing this in my state. Of course, I didn't feel it appropriate to ask the officer at the time...

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

I love how cool the police I've dealt with have been with riders. Thing is, I can't even find out what the fine or penalty would be for being ticketed doing this in my state. Of course, I didn't feel it appropriate to ask the officer at the time...

I always assumed it would be a reckless driving ticket in non cali states. Has anyone ever been ticketed for this?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I think I've seen someone say that's the ticket they got for some local area. Can't remember where I read it but I believe they said it was around $150.

The one time I was stopped for it on the freeway the guy chewed me out and said it was an educational stop and left.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Coydog posted:

Wasn't paying attention and filtered up to a light today... pulling right in front of an unmarked car. Didn't even know until the light went green and he lit me up. I was polite and did all the nice things, plus was in full gear, so he was really cool and lenient. Apparently he used to be a motorcycle officer. He just kept saying that while lots of bikers filtered, and I clearly had done it before because I was so fluid with it, that "you just can't do that here. You can't do that. It's unsafe and not allowed". Then he let me off with a warning and told me to ride safe.

Failure to maintain lane is what they label it I think.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Failure to maintain lane is what they label it I think.

I once got popped in Arizona for "wasting finite resources." It's their version of a non-points mild speeding ticket. I failed to point out that my time and money are also finite. Things better left unsaid #437.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I haven't been caught yet, but I always do 360 scans before I do it

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Marv Hushman posted:

I once got popped in Arizona for "wasting finite resources." It's their version of a non-points mild speeding ticket. I failed to point out that my time and money are also finite. Things better left unsaid #437.

In today's world of conspicuous consumption, that is a loving hilarious ticket. I presume they also go around giving them to people driving big SUVs and pickups with no actual need for them?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Marv Hushman posted:

I'm confused. Filtering get traffic going faster, so presumably the finite resources of reference were the officer's time? Except, he volunteered to pull you over and could have just let you go.

This ticket makes no sense.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

tirinal posted:

presumably the finite resources of reference were the officer's time?

Fossil fuels. 56-65 in a 55 is WFR; 66+ would be plain old speeding (I suppose the waste is implied beyond that point.) BTW, unrelated to filtering, just another example of a moronic traffic law.

So don't waste that fuel, AZgoons.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/28/00702-01.htm

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I always thought tickets that were for <5 over were that ticket. Being only for 55-65 is odd. Cant say there's many 55mph roads that I can think of. Only thing I can think of is when the road is 65mph but drops to 55 around a light then returns to 65 past it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
West vs. East? In Kentucky the default speed limit of rural roads is 55. So probably a majority of the roads in the state are 55 if you cut out big city streets.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If anyone in the Seattle area has nothing better going on today, hipsters are showing off their expensive old bikes at the Fremont foundry today until midnight.

Edit: show was pretty much poo poo, only a couple of cool bikes and mostly hipster trash. I think the parking lot will be the real show around 6 is so. Imgur sucks on mobile, so I'll upload pics when I get home.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 22, 2015

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Show was ok.

Except that it was full of bullshit like this.

And like this.

There was at least one cool room, though.

If you wanna go to it, give it a shot later and wander the street. There'll probably be cooler bikes out there, anyways.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Is that...
...the brake light??

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

Is that...
...the brake light??

I sort of like the idea but gently caress me the execution is terrible. Like get that properly panel-beat and polished, and use decent LEDs, that'd look pretty cool in a Buck Rogers kinda way.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slim Pickens posted:

If anyone in the Seattle area has nothing better going on today, hipsters are showing off their expensive old bikes at the Fremont foundry today until midnight.

Edit: show was pretty much poo poo, only a couple of cool bikes and mostly hipster trash. I think the parking lot will be the real show around 6 is so. Imgur sucks on mobile, so I'll upload pics when I get home.

Oh hey I just got back from there. I know the owner of that scooter (and the owners of most of the other scooters) and of the Yamaha with the ridiculously drilled-out rotor (he is also a scooter rider).

I left that show wondering what the hell the point was. I've seen a lot of the bikes there at Backfire. I guess I was expecting more stuff from vendors.

But I work in the Foundry building so I had to go. More fun to see it full of motorcycles than another tech company sales conference.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Edit: wrong thread, sorry.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
That loving brake rotor is retarded.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

nitrogen posted:

Is that...
...the brake light??

Indicators as well; the two on each end are amber.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

nitrogen posted:

Is that...
...the brake light??

It looks like a spider's face.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Soon.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 23, 2015

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

captainOrbital posted:

It looks like a spider's face.

you know, that could be really cool if the LED's were flush, or had another assembly that made it all hidden, but visible when the lights come on (even in daytime)

A for effort, D+ for execution.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nitrogen posted:

you know, that could be really cool if the LED's were flush, or had another assembly that made it all hidden, but visible when the lights come on (even in daytime)

A for effort, D+ for execution.

As twisto said in the other thread, the participation award is more important than actual accolades. A-for-effort has become the mantra of a generation.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
There is nothing "A for effort" about those deliberately lovely welds.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

There is nothing "A for effort" about those deliberately lovely welds.

"A" for 'alfarsed?

Asinine?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

I went on the Mods vs. Rockers ride today and this bike was there. Those lights are literally (literally) impossible to see during daylight. I have a feeling they're very narrow-beam. Also there's an incandescent light on the right side of the bike that is the actual brake light.

Cretins MC and Los Gatos Gordos SC were both heavily involved in the Rider's Show and they co-run MvR, so a few bikes on display were out riding today.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Spotted this in Portland last week. Frenchie wearing doggles in a milk crate. It ruled.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I fear for doges safety with what appears to be a mannequin at the controls.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Saw my first Ural Gear-Up in person the other day, a 2009. All my previous experiences with Urals gave me a pretty low opinion of them, but I have to say the 2WD one looks drat cool. Also looks about as heavy as a car.

Interesting side note, this one had 24k miles on it and all 3 wheels had totally shot wheel bearings. Turns out they use standard sealed ball bearings on those things and they obviously aren't up to the job.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's 2015 the gently caress you mean I can't ship anywhere outside of my billing address

thumper talk :argh:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Your turtle inspired me to get a Doof Warrior to put on the front of my bike. Too bad no Doof Warrior figure exists.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone in AI worked with an ecotron EFI kit ? Thinking of getting one for my UTV. It's modded beyond the scope of the carbs and I think I'm in need of more airflow at the carb/head.

Aftermarket throttle bodies are expensive, and the ecotrons kit comes with them in my choice of size (dual 40mm)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
How is it 'modded beyond the scope of carbs'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Professor Wayne posted:

Your turtle inspired me to get a Doof Warrior to put on the front of my bike. Too bad no Doof Warrior figure exists.

One on etsy for $70