Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Klades posted:

PLD offtank doesn't have a 25% uptime 10% haste buff making their TP consumption worse.

In other news, when Yoshida was answering chat questions after the live letter he apparently said that tanks stacking STR all the time is a "problem" but they haven't figured out how to 100% solve it yet.

I won't argue that it's not a worse problem for dark knights, it's the fact that they haven't even mentioned it for paladins that upsets me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
MNK buff wish, in addition to whatever GL buff they're doing:
Tornado Kick: Additional effect - target takes an additional 10% damage from all incoming sources (does not stack with Trick Attack).

Now a MNK can suffer a small DPS loss (if Perfect Balance isn't up) to provide Trick Attack for their party. NIN is no longer a must-have for a raid-wide damage boost just like DRK allows you to skip out on bringing a MNK for int debuffs. FOTM players can keep playing DRG.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
The entire purpose of tornado kick its burning your stacks before the boss jumps and you want it to be a part of the monks rotation

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Tornado Kick: Additional effect - target takes an additional 10% damage from all incoming sources (does not stack with Trick Attack).

Now a MNK can suffer a small DPS loss (if Perfect Balance isn't up) to provide Trick Attack for their party. NIN is no longer a must-have for a raid-wide damage boost just like DRK allows you to skip out on bringing a MNK for int debuffs. FOTM players can keep playing DRG.

source your quotes

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Klades posted:

In other news, when Yoshida was answering chat questions after the live letter he apparently said that tanks stacking STR all the time is a "problem" but they haven't figured out how to 100% solve it yet.

If that's a problem then the entire underlying structure of gameplay is a problem.

In even-geared or over-geared situations players will gravitate towards the fastest clears possible, looking for opportunities to increase DPS. In those situations extra HP on tanks through VIT is pointless, because those tanks will never be in danger. If a tank has level appropriate gear and the healers aren't bad this is literally all content in the game short of progression raiding and maybe some Ex primals.

In under-geared situations STR is still considered because Tanks are required to contribute more DPS to win fights. No one is going to sit around going "oh we can't meet this DPS check without Tanks contributing so I guess we wait three weeks for our real DPS to gear up". Every major fight in the entire game boils down to "achieve this level of Raid DPS to meet this arbitrary time limit" followed by "perform these actions to not wipe due to failing raid mechanics", and it's a natural progression of the former that STR becomes the main stat for tanks and VIT the fill-in to meet bare minimums of survival.

poo poo, even now in A1S I spend the entire fight tanking an Oppressor in Deliverance except for a 15 second span for the second tank buster. My healers figured out how to keep me alive with that level of HP, what possible draw is there to add more? We have a time limit to meet.

They would either need to give some additional effect to VIT like damage mitigation (shifting DPS responsibilities to healers with now-lighter loads) or reduce/remove hard enrage timers. Things like that could have a lot of unexpected side effects in other areas, which I guess is where not 100% solved comes from.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 23, 2015

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I would bet the "problem" is people being assholes about it in df.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah the problem can't be tanks using str stats at all because if that was the case then jewlery wouldnt be so generically organized and Bonus Points wouldnt exist at all because honestly outside of the weird healer i've seen in progression poo poo who take a piece or two of fending most people spec to their main stat except for tanks who seem to play around with the stats the MOST.

I mean the game has a PRETTY GOOD feedback mechanism for whether or not you're poorly geared, it's the one where you loving explode

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
They could just make the tank stances cause Vit to add to DPS or something like that.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
What's the point of doing Trial roulette at max level anyway? If you need 10 esoterics just do A2 where it's almost impossible to fail.

I also think discouraging tanks from stacking strength might deter some people away from wanting to play a tank. As a warrior I personally enjoy squeezing the most out of my damage and self-healing. I don't think having giant heath pools is very exciting gameplay. I would rather an encounter be designed around timing and managing cooldowns than how much VIT I can stack to eat mechanics.

vanbags fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 23, 2015

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

goldjas posted:

They could just make the tank stances cause Vit to add to DPS or something like that.

This is kinda what WoW did, they made a very clear tank stat - Bonus Armor, also add Attack Power, and they removed Parry and made Crit rating also give tanks Parry. Of course WoW also has accessories just give both main stats and stamina(vitality) to begin with so this wasn't even as much of an issue.

Axle_Stukov fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 23, 2015

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Are there any...slower, I guess, DPS classes? Part of the reason I stopped playing MCH is because they have so many dumb buttons and I really don't like popping two ogcds at once. I should probably just go BLM, they're heavy but not crazy fast.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Wildstar made it so the equivalent of Vitality added attack power and crit to tank spells

Of course this was before their convoluted stat rebalance that made everything even more dumb but it was a nice idea

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

vanbags posted:

What's the point of doing Trial roulette at max level anyway? If you need 10 esoterics just do A2 where it's almost impossible to fail.

It's usually fun, unlike A2.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

What is "fun" compared to tomes per hour

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

At first glance it sounds like they just want to push monk DPS up to the point where it makes up for the overall party DPS increases brought by a Ninja or DRG, but we won't actually know until we see numbers on Wednesday.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Maybe they should have encounters actually require vit as much as it requires DPS. There's no problem with stacking STR, its just players coming up with a common sense solution to long running problems in how they design stats. Vit is a small part of your ehp, the majority comes through intelligent use of skills if they want people to put more value in fending accessories they need to give it stats that actually have a serious impact on EHP and design tank side damage to require it.

Also monk getting a buff to the duration of GL would be a bitter pill for BLMs to swallow as they continue with enochian as is.

Fishious fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 23, 2015

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Maybe. My experience with trial roulette is either faceroll ignore mechanics or vote abandon. There's no happy medium, it's either one of those extremes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Thumbtacks posted:

Are there any...slower, I guess, DPS classes? Part of the reason I stopped playing MCH is because they have so many dumb buttons and I really don't like popping two ogcds at once. I should probably just go BLM, they're heavy but not crazy fast.
The three melee classes all have about the same speed but do so differently.
DRG is probably the slowest because outside of cramming your opener full of everything you have a fairly simple rotation to do (and then cramming everything together again when the CD's line up.)
MNK has a good steady rhythm to it and it feels really good once you get going.
NIN is kind of a mix between them, you've got regular ninjutsu bursts amidst a couple combos you want to keep up.

Fister Roboto posted:

I won't argue that it's not a worse problem for dark knights, it's the fact that they haven't even mentioned it for paladins that upsets me.
It wouldn't surprise me if PLD TP consumption is the 'baseline' for everyone to run out of TP without any regen. Thus there isn't a problem with it since every encounter should be balanced with that in mind. I imagine with TP bars being put in will fix it so that players can see when they need to use Goad, Army, Rook mode change.

Klades posted:

I'm betting that the 'all the time' bit is the main perceived problem. Vit jewelry exists but is underutilized because taking less damage (via killing stuff faster/mitigating more) is generally better than being able to take more damage. STR mitigation doesn't quite scale up as fast as HP however which can mean a couple things:
Incoming damage is undertuned. Tanks simply aren't taking enough damage to justify the extra hp.
Healer hp/s is too buff. Healers are too awesome with healing so even though tanks are taking the right amount of damage, healers can easily overheal that amount.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

Healer hp/s is too buff. Healers are too awesome with healing so even though tanks are taking the right amount of damage, healers can easily overheal that amount.

The problem really is just that nothing scales off of how much HP you have except four skills which aren't important enough to warrant wearing more VIT for. If you put on more STR, you do more damage. If you put on VIT... the healer gets one extra GCD before they have to start healing I guess?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Thumbtacks posted:

Blm is probably the slowest, though I have no idea what the post 50 spells have done to the class. For melee classes it's drg, if for no other reason than drg still has a 2.5 gcd while nin and mnk both hang out around 2 seconds due to personal buffs. All 3 of them still have a bunch of ogcd things though so you end up playing keyboard piano in bursts regardless of which one you pick.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Post-50 BLM is definitely more complicated because you have to worry about Enochian, but I can't compare it to anything other than SMN (which is 'oh god so many cooldowns').

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
That said at 60 the DRG rotation is significantly tighter than the 50 one because you're managing disembowel, chaos thrust, phlebotomize and heavy thrust against blood of the dragon and geirskogul use. Letting anything drop is bad for dps of course but if you let blood of the dragon fall off you have to wait until the skill's cooldown wears off, unless you had been in blood of the dragon for at least 60s already.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Dragoon has an insane amount of oGCDs right now so if you got RSI consider Monk instead even though it has a shorter GCD.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
BLM is great on the fingers and bad on the blood pressure. If that works for you, that might be where to look.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SCH is the most laid back DPS class.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Do I need my Nexus equipped to get the Zodiac dungeon drops? Do I even need to be the same class?

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

KoB posted:

Do I need my Nexus equipped to get the Zodiac dungeon drops? Do I even need to be the same class?

No, to both

Rei_
May 16, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

SCH is the most laid back DPS class.

WAR is pretty chill i can do my opener while pouring myself a drink

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

If Fending accessories had more def/mdef than the other types then people might wear them. Or if the inevitable Parry stats do something useful. But probably only bother on progression content where you're in actual threat of dying from things.

Basically it comes down to me not needing to wear Fending stuff. Unless dungeon bosses start busting me for 20K the things don't matter.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Fending stats will always be a race between game mechanics and tank/healer capability. Optimization finds itself.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Klades posted:

Make vit increase TP regen.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Actually having the party's tp bars finally visible really does open the door to tp management and tp regen piggybacking on the primary stat is pretty elegant

Also in the vein of seeing party tp, forget about the dancer, bring on the Chemist - physical melee-range healer that uses various non-item (and non-random) potions (admixtures? salves?) on others to cause big burst heals, mp regen speed/max mp increases, restores tp, and probably other status effect stuff on party members and enemies though ast kind of has that niche... I just feel like having a melee healer with instant casts would be really dynamic

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

If we get a melee healer that means we have to get a ranged tank. I don't even know how that would work.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A trapper. Nets, snares, burst ranged attacks, lasso to physically pull mobs away from others

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

vOv posted:

If we get a melee healer that means we have to get a ranged tank. I don't even know how that would work.

Magitek Knight.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

vOv posted:

a big fuckin' hose, and a lot of shouting

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

What would a melee healer queue as.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Healer, obviously. Melee and ranged DPS queue the same.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

They should add a physical ranged healer. An FFT-style chemist that just tosses potions at people's heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Machinist should've been Chemist. :colbert:

• Locked thread