Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I must be the only person that still doesnt like Tiger. He never shows up to any PGA stops in Canada, he cheated on his wife, and he is an arrogant rear end in a top hat that blames everything but himself when he plays bad.

Most of these also apply to my hatred for Bubba Watson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
You're far from the only person to hate him, but I'm surrounded by plenty of people who hate him because they're trying their hardest to stuff him into the racist stereotype of a "black dude with low-to-zero morals who happens to be a good athlete." It's disappointing, but that's Texas sometimes.

It's kinda weird to root for Tiger as an underdog now. I wish he played more tournaments, and maybe he will. I bet he'll make the Wyndham a regular tour stop. He doesn't play in Canada, but he did play in Canada in 2000, and one of his most famous shots came on the last hole - a 6i from the fairway bunker on 18. Small consolation, but he hasn't come to Texas since 2005, either. I've never seen him in person, which I intend to remedy before he retires.

As for the last point about blaming everything but himself, that's got to come with the territory of being a top-tier athlete. You can't admit to fault. Can't show those cracks in your armor, or it'll only get worse. Lie well, lie often, and lie until you convince yourself. Then you'll play like it. There's an appeal to an everyman Tour-pro who is all "aw shucks, just don't have it today" like Boo Weekley, but I don't follow because I can relate in his struggles. He's a freak of nature, and I want to see him destroy a golf course every time he tees it up. If he needs to spout BS to keep it going, then do it.

That being said, he's been more humble and open in the last year than he's been in his entire career, and I've never heard him blame his caddie or blame his swing coach. At least Tiger doesn't blame others when he falters; he just doesn't acknowledge it, or he'll focus on the positives to the point where it sounds completely ridiculous. Today was a perfect example. He hit the ball great - 11 fairways, 14 greens. 31 putts. He was throwing darts, but he didn't convert enough of those birdie putts. He talked about being on the wrong side of the hole, which he was at times. He said, "I putted the ball well, and I expected all of them to go in." He also said something like, "I made a lot of putts today. They were for par, though. From 6 feet and in, I was great." Maybe this is the Tiger we get now. Maybe he wouldn't be missing those putts 10, 15 years ago. But I like this new Tiger, and I'm pulling for him to return to form.

Besides, imagine a Masters next year with a healthy and competitive Tiger going against Rory, Spieth, Mickelson, and even that rear end in a top hat Cabrera. :circlefap:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Don't forget that he cheated on his WHITE wife and girlfriends too. what a horrible monster. :whatup:

When Tiger was blitzkrieging the landscape it did get annoying just like Steffi/Martina/Sampras/Federererer/Serena and Schumacher/Vettel the New York Yankees and the 1980's SF 49ers and 1990's Cowboys....etc.

That being said it would be awesome to see him win again even if it's the 12th easiest field or something. He's pretty much done for majors though at 40.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 23, 2015

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Furnaceface posted:

I must be the only person that still doesnt like Tiger. He never shows up to any PGA stops in Canada, he cheated on his wife, and he is an arrogant rear end in a top hat that blames everything but himself when he plays bad.

Most of these also apply to my hatred for Bubba Watson.

This.

The guy is a complete piece of poo poo, I'll never understand how anyone can root for him. I hope he shoots 78 tomorrow.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Kameh posted:

You're far from the only person to hate him, but I'm surrounded by plenty of people who hate him because they're trying their hardest to stuff him into the racist stereotype of a "black dude with low-to-zero morals who happens to be a good athlete." It's disappointing, but that's Texas sometimes.

It's kinda weird to root for Tiger as an underdog now. I wish he played more tournaments, and maybe he will. I bet he'll make the Wyndham a regular tour stop. He doesn't play in Canada, but he did play in Canada in 2000, and one of his most famous shots came on the last hole - a 6i from the fairway bunker on 18. Small consolation, but he hasn't come to Texas since 2005, either. I've never seen him in person, which I intend to remedy before he retires.

As for the last point about blaming everything but himself, that's got to come with the territory of being a top-tier athlete. You can't admit to fault. Can't show those cracks in your armor, or it'll only get worse. Lie well, lie often, and lie until you convince yourself. Then you'll play like it. There's an appeal to an everyman Tour-pro who is all "aw shucks, just don't have it today" like Boo Weekley, but I don't follow because I can relate in his struggles. He's a freak of nature, and I want to see him destroy a golf course every time he tees it up. If he needs to spout BS to keep it going, then do it.

That being said, he's been more humble and open in the last year than he's been in his entire career, and I've never heard him blame his caddie or blame his swing coach. At least Tiger doesn't blame others when he falters; he just doesn't acknowledge it, or he'll focus on the positives to the point where it sounds completely ridiculous. Today was a perfect example. He hit the ball great - 11 fairways, 14 greens. 31 putts. He was throwing darts, but he didn't convert enough of those birdie putts. He talked about being on the wrong side of the hole, which he was at times. He said, "I putted the ball well, and I expected all of them to go in." He also said something like, "I made a lot of putts today. They were for par, though. From 6 feet and in, I was great." Maybe this is the Tiger we get now. Maybe he wouldn't be missing those putts 10, 15 years ago. But I like this new Tiger, and I'm pulling for him to return to form.

Besides, imagine a Masters next year with a healthy and competitive Tiger going against Rory, Spieth, Mickelson, and even that rear end in a top hat Cabrera. :circlefap:

This.

In his prime, Tiger was better at golf than anyone who's ever played before. Watching greatness/history happen is way more interesting than rooting for failure.

I couldn't care less how he acts off the course or how many whores he's banging on the side.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ColdBlooded posted:

This.

The guy is a complete piece of poo poo, I'll never understand how anyone can root for him. I hope he shoots 78 tomorrow.

Same reason why people can root for Bonds, MJ, and etc. Greatness is fun to watch so why root for failure

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Metapod posted:

Same reason why people can root for Bonds, MJ, and etc. Greatness is fun to watch so why root for failure

Oh I enjoyed his early career. He put literal fear into the old guard at the time and it was loving thrilling to watch him do. I cheered for him for many years and the guy ushered in a brand new era for the game. I mean, poo poo, they had to Tiger-proof so many loving courses. How many people have ever done that?

But Id say the late 2000s is when that all started to go away. The game he helped basically redesign was catching up, the young guys didnt show fear (quite the opposite), and his temper tantrums and off course demeanor just fell off a cliff. He was no longer fun to watch, and while I dont actively cheer for his failure, I dont give a poo poo about his success anymore either.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I'm rooting for Tiger because I want to see him in good form going up against Spieth/Rory/Day/DJ just because I like watching awesome golf.

I played in a scramble with my boss and two guys from his league yesterday at my home course. We ended up in second place at 16 under par. The winning team was -18 and had a guy who hit the ball farther than I've ever seen in person, despite being like 5'5". He carried his 3w 280 into the wind to cut the corner on a dogleg, and I think they had a second guy on the team who was near scratch. We ended up not winning any skins despite eagling a par 4 and a birdie on a 195 yard par 3. I stuck my 4i to 5 feet and won the closest to the pin on that hole at least. This tournament is run by a local archery club to benefit wounded veterans and every other year the winning score has been like -8 or -10 according to my boss, I guess lots of guys brought in some real golfers this time around to try and win. It was a lot of fun and I won two free rounds with cart at the best local course so I'm looking forward to that.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I don't understand why people bring up cheating on his wife as a reason to not like him.

I don't give a gently caress what he does in his personal life, I want to watch him play golf and golf is more exciting when he's playing well.

Go read TMZ or something if you want the soap opera bullshit.

HeebHustler
Jan 16, 2007

Even if you dont like Tiger, the atmosphere for a mostly meaningless tournament today is going to be electric. I watch sports because of these types of scenarios where every decision is amplified and the pressure is tangible.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

I played in a scramble with my boss and two guys from his league yesterday at my home course. We ended up in second place at 16 under par. The winning team was -18 and had a guy who hit the ball farther than I've ever seen in person, despite being like 5'5". He carried his 3w 280 into the wind to cut the corner on a dogleg, and I think they had a second guy on the team who was near scratch. We ended up not winning any skins despite eagling a par 4 and a birdie on a 195 yard par 3. I stuck my 4i to 5 feet and won the closest to the pin on that hole at least. This tournament is run by a local archery club to benefit wounded veterans and every other year the winning score has been like -8 or -10 according to my boss, I guess lots of guys brought in some real golfers this time around to try and win. It was a lot of fun and I won two free rounds with cart at the best local course so I'm looking forward to that.

That just makes me feel even worse. Im only 5'6" and I havnt been able to hit a driver/3W more than 260 in years. Once upon a time I could, but man, I got old and fat. And really out of practice. :smith:

Golf stores are starting to put stuff on clearance because of how close to being done the season is, so I think Im going to go driver/5W shopping tomorrow. Should be interesting, I havnt bought a new club in... 11 years!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Furnaceface posted:

That just makes me feel even worse. Im only 5'6" and I havnt been able to hit a driver/3W more than 260 in years. Once upon a time I could, but man, I got old and fat. And really out of practice. :smith:

Golf stores are starting to put stuff on clearance because of how close to being done the season is, so I think Im going to go driver/5W shopping tomorrow. Should be interesting, I havnt bought a new club in... 11 years!

There isn't much of an off-season in Texas, but since I won't be playing but a few times a month, I wouldn't mind starting some sort of "get stronger, hit ball farther" routine in the gym. It's gotta be some sort of blend of weights and yoga, right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gonna tip my driver 1/2" and extend it to 45.5" at home. Wish my luck. :ohdear:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiger is done. Just tripled 11 and is now 7 back.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Josh Lyman posted:

Good luck. Cutting mine down was the best thing I ever did, 44" just made it so much easier to hit the sweet spot.

Shot a 71 this morning with a double bogey on 18, par 70. Sooooo close ugh. I had four eagle putts that I missed, granted they were all 15-25 feet but that would have been nice. New personal best score but knowing I was so close to even par on my home course stings. There's a small pond on 18 that I pulled my drive into, it was my only bad drive all day. Maybe next time...

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mattfl posted:

Tiger is done. Just tripled 11 and is now 7 back.

:unsmigghh:

Kameh posted:

There isn't much of an off-season in Texas, but since I won't be playing but a few times a month, I wouldn't mind starting some sort of "get stronger, hit ball farther" routine in the gym. It's gotta be some sort of blend of weights and yoga, right?

Take up hockey. :v:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I was in the front for Tiger's tee shots at 5 and 16. Following him exclusively is just too much. I basically walked the course backwards and when I knew Tiger was coming up just set up a hole early. I tried to follow him but you can't see a drat thing.

It is crazy when he arrives though. The tee box will just be 1 deep and then like 20 tournament staff comes up yelling at everyone to put phones away and a crowd comes over the hill like an army in Lord of the Rings.

The tournament was pretty fun. You really have no idea what is going on when you are there though. I thought the best places to watch was where tee shots landed on par 4s. You can see the tee shot come in and usually at least 1 guy is hitting his approach shot within 20 feet of you. And it is uncrowded and you can find shade. Directly behind the tee box on par 3s were nice too. You could see the tee shot and watch them putt from a distance.

It is probably better to watch on TV but I will go again for sure. I think once a year is enough though

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Welp, I overheated the adapter attempting to get out the old epoxy residue so it developed a bit of a green sheen.

I've had the shaft/adapter for right around 4 years now, so I guess anodized aluminum is bound show some wear. Go go 300 yard drives!

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Kameh posted:

I don't specifically train for golf in the gym, but I do incorporate some exercises that aid my game. My swing speed has gone up considerably since I began doing small accessory work geared toward golf. Flexibility and mobility are huge too, but most of the poo poo I do is for more swing speed, power and control. I also do some light TRX bodyweight stuff for flexibility and joints etc. For reference my swing speed average has increased 5mph over the last year up to 120mph having the muscle memory and strength in small muscle in your shoulder, obliques etc really aid in keeping faster swing in line for solid contact.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 25, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Let the record show that my PGA Championship bet with EnsGDT will be settled as of....

*checks UPS shipping*

tomorrow :toot:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

DJExile posted:

Let the record show that my PGA Championship bet with EnsGDT will be settled as of....

*checks UPS shipping*

tomorrow :toot:

I really hope you put dickbutt on them because I will play the ever loving poo poo out of some supersoft dickbutts

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

I really hope you put dickbutt on them because I will play the ever loving poo poo out of some supersoft dickbutts

...GODDAMNIT

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

What was the bet?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Sataere posted:

What was the bet?

To enter the bet, you pick a player in the PGA Championship. The person who picks the best-finishing player gets one dozen balls of his preference shipped (or the equivalent money about paypal'd) to him.

Started with a Tiger/Sergio bet between me and another guy in the Masters, then it picked up again in the Open Championship.

Maybe we'll make it a thing for the 5 big events (majors + Players). Sound good?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

He's got a dozen Callaway Supersofts coming his way. They may or may not be customized.

E: Let the record show the Callaway's customization doesn't allow for many fun things :argh:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 25, 2015

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I'll do a box opening post when I get home from work the day they are delivered :)

Also acceptable would have been dickbutt's legal name, Richard Butt III.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

:siren:TODAY A PACKAGE ARRIVED:siren:
I wonder what it could be???

Ah yes my favorite golf balls!

Everything seems to be in order here...

WAIT WHAT TOMFOOLERY IS THIS

...heh...balls...

Thanks DJ :)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Enjoy them :toot:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
What is that site you guys are using to post your scores from?

I only recently started playing at the ripe age of 29, played at a course in Vegas last month and at Bethpage Blue last weekend (I live across the street from the Black course) and am hooked already.

I've watched a lot of youtube videos which have helped immensely - I'm not really having any particular issues hitting the ball correctly as I hit straight 90% of the time, but what I am having an issue with is distance off the tee. I just bought a beginner set and feel very comfortable with them, but I can't seem to hit a driver past 220~ish yards. I'm not a small or weak guy, so I'm assuming it's my form. Are there any good videos to watch or tips for driving harder?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sepist posted:

I only recently started playing at the ripe age of 29, played at a course in Vegas last month and at Bethpage Blue last weekend (I live across the street from the Black course) and am hooked already.

I've watched a lot of youtube videos which have helped immensely - I'm not really having any particular issues hitting the ball correctly as I hit straight 90% of the time, but what I am having an issue with is distance off the tee. I just bought a beginner set and feel very comfortable with them, but I can't seem to hit a driver past 220~ish yards. I'm not a small or weak guy, so I'm assuming it's my form. Are there any good videos to watch or tips for driving harder?

I think most of us are using the GolfShot app on ours phones and then posting the scorecard from it.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Sepist posted:

When in doubt:
https://www.youtube.com/meandmygolf

And my guess is that you are right, it is form and weight shift.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ping has repaired my hybrid and it's on the way back wooooooo :yayclod:

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

DJExile posted:

Just curious, how long did that take?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

On a related note, my order for a replacement 3 wood from Titleist was placed last Friday, I think, and I haven't had any updates on its status. :f5:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ironlung posted:

Just curious, how long did that take?

Sent it about a week and a half ago.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
A few years ago my friends and I used to play at this par 3 near our houses (unfortunately it is no longer near my house). None of us took golf seriously so we would spray balls all over the place and probably shoot 110.

Today I went there and played 2 balls. With a Noodle -> Pinnacle Gold I found on hole 10. I shot a 73 with 6 pars and with a Noodle long and soft I shot a 81 with 2 pars.

I would bet money that is more pars than all of us combined got in 20+ rounds there back in the day. Also, that Pinnacle Gold was on fire. I found on hole 10 and decided to play it to have a unique ball instead of two noodles. I went on the hottest streak I have ever had in golf. I went 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 3 to close it out. I couldn't believe it. I felt like the goddamn man. I hate I was by myself. I really wish someone saw it. It will probably be a year before I go on a heater like that again.

Also, this isn't a pitch and putt. Half those holes were over 160 yards.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fox Sports posted:

John Daly collapsed near the end of a round of golf Saturday and was taken by ambulance to a hospital.
The 49-year-old Daly was playing in a small event at Deerfield Golf Club in Jackson's northern suburbs.
Daly's friend, Billy Allen, who was with Daly at the hospital, said the two-time major champion's vital signs were good but doctors were checking on possible injuries to his ribs and fingers.
Deerfield club pro Leigh Brannan, who was at the tournament, said Daly was having trouble with the heat and had some difficulty breathing before being taken to the hospital. Temperatures were near 90 degrees in the Jackson area.
''He was struggling pretty badly right before he collapsed,'' Brannan said. ''But we're all hoping it's nothing serious and that he was just a little dehydrated. He was even telling (Allen) he still wants to play (Sunday).''
Daly's hard-living ways have been well documented during a colorful career on the PGA Tour. He most recently made headlines after throwing his 6-iron into Lake Michigan during the PGA Championship after hitting three balls into the water.

:ohdear: get well soon you wonderful unicorn

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
Turns out it was a collapsed lung http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/13545373/john-daly-recovering-collapsed-lung. What a surprise!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
What the hell?! Brian Harman with 2 Aces in his round!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Halo14 posted:

What the hell?! Brian Harman with 2 Aces in his round!

Yeah this loving owns goddamn

E: Oh here's a video cleared for non-canada