Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Do you follow giant bomb at all? If so, I suggest grabbing a months worth of premium and watching their entire contradiction playthrough, from the quick look on. Some of the best content in years, for sure. Vinny, Austin Walker, and Alex make an incredible trio.

While you're at it, the other giant bomb east premium content has been outstanding as well, and the giant beastcast (vinny Austin Alex and random guest, usually jeff bakalar) have eclipsed every other podcast I listen to and is by far the one I anticipate most each week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'm not saying I personally dislike this game, just that I can see how people might.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Captain Invictus posted:

Do you follow giant bomb at all? If so, I suggest grabbing a months worth of premium and watching their entire contradiction playthrough, from the quick look on. Some of the best content in years, for sure. Vinny, Austin Walker, and Alex make an incredible trio.

While you're at it, the other giant bomb east premium content has been outstanding as well, and the giant beastcast (vinny Austin Alex and random guest, usually jeff bakalar) have eclipsed every other podcast I listen to and is by far the one I anticipate most each week.
Do you go outside at all? If so, I suggest going outside for a month worth of sun and leisure activities and enjoying the entire time, from the beginning on. Some of your best times in years, for sure. :btroll:

While you're at it, talk to people, they're generally outstanding if you take the time to be polite and friendly. The beach is a pretty good place (pretty girls/boys, families flying kites, folks fishing) and it eclipses any number of videogame videos I could hunch over a monitor and watch for hours at a time and by far I feel that going outdoors is my most anticipated activity every day.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 23, 2015

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I forgot to mention that this week's robot news was hilarious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

coyo7e posted:

Do you go outside at all? If so, I suggest going outside for a month worth of sun and leisure activities and enjoying the entire time, from the beginning on. Some of your best times in years, for sure. :btroll:

While you're at it, talk to people, they're generally outstanding if you take the time to be polite and friendly. The beach is a pretty good place (pretty girls/boys, families flying kites, folks fishing) and it eclipses any number of videogame videos I could hunch over a monitor and watch for hours at a time and by far I feel that going outdoors is my most anticipated activity every day.
You're super weird

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

coyo7e posted:

drat, that dude got iced.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Please don't scream at children on the beach about if they follow the "giant bomb" or not.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

coyo7e posted:

what the gently caress is this

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

Expected.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HMS Boromir posted:

Congratulations, you've broken your coyo7e cherry.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Captain Invictus posted:

You're super weird
the dude who goes outdoors half the time and doesn't subscribe to and then watch dozens of videos about videogames (which are often at least 30 minutes long, to be generous?) "is super weird," as opposed to the unprovable, anonymous hat-god story guy? brilliant

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That you think someone can't both go outside and also be a nerd, and picking this thread of all places to make a stand on this deeply controversial topic is really weird yes

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Not at all, I've simply known a few pathological liars in my time.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
There are more hostile threads than this in games, but few more inexplicably so

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEdDMQZaCU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

As a person that goes outside, is in the military, lifts weights, drives a 100hp motorcycle, practices a grappling martial arts, is an OP in a thread in ADTRW/VEGETA and heard the entirety of “The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich” the unabridged 60 hour audio book version in a month; a person that chooses to watches videos all day without even going outside is barely a blip in my weird radar.

Then again I have seen some weird poo poo in my life so my average might be a bit different than others.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

coyo7e posted:

You're a scumbag, gently caress you

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

coyo7e posted:

What, you're calling me a pathological liar because you think the hat emails are fabrications? Believe what you will, I can't stop you, but you can see on my steam profile alone that I do an immense amount of business there, and have been pretty open and frank about how things work, straight up explaining how my whole hat business works. I'm not sure what you're saying is false. The Rob stories? I can't provide evidence of those since I don't save screenshots of everything, just what he told me and showed me(at one point he dropped into a trade window with me 12k+ worth of stuff that a hijacker was fencing through him during an infamous hijacking of one of the most valuable backpacks in the game at the time), it's totally up to you to believe it or not.

There's 24 hours in the day, some people have jobs that don't require constant attention or take trains/buses and so can watch stuff on their phone. It is absolutely possible to enjoy stuff like GB's videos without being a shut-in, man, all in moderation. I don't know you personally and neither do you know me, but there's no need to be such a oddly aggressive, abrasive and confrontational person just because of your preconceptions. I vaguely remember past posts of yours of a similar nature to other people, maybe stop doing that.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 23, 2015

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Unironically, kung fury indeed rules.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Please don't PM anyone else a photo essay on how cool and normal you are coyo7e.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Captain Invictus posted:

What, you're calling me a pathological liar because you think the hat emails are fabrications? Believe what you will, I can't stop you, but you can see on my steam profile alone that I do an immense amount of business there, and have been pretty open and frank about how things work, straight up explaining how my whole hat business works. I'm not sure what you're saying is false. The Rob stories? I can't provide evidence of those since I don't save screenshots of everything, just what he told me and showed me(at one point he dropped into a trade window with me 12k+ worth of stuff that a hijacker was fencing through him during an infamous hijacking of one of the most valuable backpacks in the game at the time), it's totally up to you to believe it or not.

There's 24 hours in the day, some people have jobs that don't require constant attention or take trains/buses and so can watch stuff on their phone. It is absolutely possible to enjoy stuff like GB's videos without being a shut-in, man, all in moderation. I don't know you personally and neither do you know me, but there's no need to be such a oddly aggressive, abrasive and confrontational person just because of your preconceptions. I vaguely remember past posts of yours of a similar nature to other people, maybe stop doing that.
Hey you claim to have received income tax returns from steam, and you're rolling around telling people to watch scores of hours of video "or they're weird".

I guess I'm simply being unreasonable. I had a roommate who claimed to be an MMA fighter got into tons of fights and he worked out a lot and could probably kick any two or three people's butts I knew combined however, he never actually let anyone visit the gym he claimed to train at, to cheer him on, and he never attended the event he claimed to have fought at.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

coyo7e posted:

Hey you claim to have received income tax returns from steam, and you're rolling around telling people to watch scores of hours of video "or they're weird".

I guess I'm simply being unreasonable. I had a roommate who claimed to be an MMA fighter got into tons of fights and he worked out a lot and could probably kick any two or three people's butts I knew combined however, he never actually let anyone visit the gym he claimed to train at, to cheer him on, and he never attended the event he claimed to have fought at.
You're completely missing why I said you're weird but I'm not going to bother explaining at this point.

As for the tax thing, Steam is required to provide information to the IRS if you exceed $20,000 in sales in a calendar year. It's in their FAQ:

quote:

Will you be providing 1099’s based on my transactions in the Community Market?

The United States Internal Revenue Service requires us to report gross sales for, and provide IRS Form 1099’s to, only those subscribers who are U.S. citizens or residents and who exceed 200 sales transactions in a calendar year and also exceed $20,000 in gross sales proceeds from those sales transactions in that same calendar year, from all of the subscriber's accounts. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident and exceed both of these thresholds, we will report the amount of gross sales to the IRS and provide you with Form 1099.

In 2013, I hit something like $23,000 in sales, and thus, was given a 1099 form. I threw a bit of a shitfit because Steam did not provide any accessible way to retrieve sales, and my accountant requested I print out all of the pages of sales on the steam marketplace for records. I had like, 500 pages of sales at that point. I contacted Steam directly, got booted up to the head of financials, and he provided me an excel file of all my sales. gently caress knows why they don't make that stuff readily available directly from the client, the market history page is completely impenetrable, not even allowing searching past sales or even having specific page searching. It's ridiculous.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Where's the birth certificate, Invictus?

Also weighing in, Kung Fury blows and I hate all things fun.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

....Sooooooo I listened to this weeks Watch Out For Fireballs after playing the Zone of the Enders earlier this week and had the same reaction to the game as Gary and Kole did. I actually enjoy things like Gundam and Evangelion, but the story and characters are absolutely awful by any standard. I expected the game to be short, but I had no idea how incomplete and shallow the game would be. If I bought the game back in 2001 I would have been pretty pissed off about wasting my money, even if it included the MGS2 demo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Podcasts are cool.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
What in the what, guys. Can we drop whatever this is?

On topic, I've been binge-listening to videogames hot dog lately (starting at 160 or so) and it's been amazing. Not even the Thumbs manage to put a smile on my face as consistently as these guys. Top notch.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Osmosisch posted:

What in the what, guys. Can we drop whatever this is?

On topic, I've been binge-listening to videogames hot dog lately (starting at 160 or so) and it's been amazing. Not even the Thumbs manage to put a smile on my face as consistently as these guys. Top notch.

I have almost failed a couple of squats and deadlifts listening to Zack being an insufferable rear end in a top hat to Kevin while Riff is just laughing in the corner and Jim is being the sane man of the pack. So I agree with this statement, also I feel dominate.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Dude in thread about multiple-hour-long audio clips about dudes playing video games insults people for also enjoying half-hour video clips about dudes playing video games.

God drat, the internet is weird.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Give enough monkeys enough keyboards and eventually one will start throwing poo poo at the others, thus inventing the Internet.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

weird bleep posted:

....Sooooooo I listened to this weeks Watch Out For Fireballs after playing the Zone of the Enders earlier this week and had the same reaction to the game as Gary and Kole did. I actually enjoy things like Gundam and Evangelion, but the story and characters are absolutely awful by any standard. I expected the game to be short, but I had no idea how incomplete and shallow the game would be. If I bought the game back in 2001 I would have been pretty pissed off about wasting my money, even if it included the MGS2 demo.

I've heard ZOE 2 is a huge improvement.

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Unironically, kung fury indeed rules.

Yes

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I mean, it's not even ironically poo poo, it's just silly.

Sharknado is ironically poo poo. The Lost Skeleton of Cadavera and Kung Fury are just silly parodies.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I've heard ZOE 2 is a huge improvement.

The sequel is more of the same gameplay-wise but with more mission variety. Instead of taking place in and around a central location you've got a large variety of linear chapters that each present some kind of puzzle or challenge. And the boss fights have their own gimmick as well like beating up a robot in a minefield while punching a disabled robot away from mines, or this big epic war zone where you're minimizing casualties and you can call in ZOE 1's protagonist who shows up in a transforming Variable fighter.

weird bleep posted:

ZOE 1 is a shallow game but if there's any video game that "exists in the time" more then I can't think of one. It and Square's brawler The Bouncer sort of exist in the same space: ultimately shallow games but they were the poster children of the kind of variety in gameplay and aesthetics that the PS2 promised. These games were highlighted in the media for their graphics and concepts -- a playable mecha anime and a choose-your-own-adventure beat'em up -- things that couldn't be accomplished on any other console at the time in size and scope (laughable now but hindsight is 20/20 and all that). They ended up having "okay" sales and people realized they weren't more than playable sizzle reel demos but the damage was done.

In 2001 the floodgates opened for the the PS2 to blow the gently caress up internationally in a way that no other console did. Within one year we started getting highlights like Metal Gear Solid 2, Onimusha, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Twisted Metal: Black, Ico, Silent Hill 2, Grand Theft Auto 3, Jak and Daxter, Burnout, Devil May Cry, SSX Tricky, and Final Fantasy X. I can't think of any other platform with as many revered games within a year. Also throw in a bunch of niche titles that didn't sell consoles but certainly contribute to the console's nostalgia today like Klonoa 2, Frequency, Ace Combat 4, Okage, Dark Cloud, and Ring of Red.

I can't speak for you but I paid $50 for ZOE when it was new, beat it on normal and hard, played the dumb 2-player vs. mode with a friend for way too long, and dissected the MGS2 demo. 2001 me got his money's worth but even looking back I don't regret it. If the experience is enjoyable I'll forget about the absurd value.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 23, 2015

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I think it also contains the most disturbing Duckfeed line to date in "It's like the Sloth scene from Seven, except Genome Soldiers instead of air fresheners." I cringed.

We're neck deep in the Summer of Cum and that's the most disturbing line to you?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

We're neck deep in the Summer of Cum and that's the most disturbing line to you?
Don't worry, there's only four more months in the Year of the Tadpole.

Which makes me slightly worried for what comes next in the Duckfeed Zodiac.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Giant Bomb subscribers, Austin and Dan are on the same podcast on the latest Powerbombcast. What that says about wrestling I don't know, but as someone who doesn't follow wrestling, the podcast is still interesting.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I've been away from my computer (I have house guests!) so I haven't been able to keep up with the nonsense bickering. But as far as the Kickstarter Project goes...

1) Thank you guys for the support!

2) I don't have mock-ups for the character cards yet. Nick is still working on art for the main book. The cards, however, will likely be portraits along with stats. So it might be a character with 3 values, one for Bravery, one for Poise and one for Aplomb. Something like that. There will also be one general sticker for the logo and one for The Covenant of The Moon.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Crate & Crowbar are about to get their first patreon monthly allowance and I think the first thing they're doing is upgrading their recording equipment. So now you whiners can start listening to the best video games podcast.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Woffle posted:

I've been away from my computer (I have house guests!) so I haven't been able to keep up with the nonsense bickering. But as far as the Kickstarter Project goes...

1) Thank you guys for the support!

2) I don't have mock-ups for the character cards yet. Nick is still working on art for the main book. The cards, however, will likely be portraits along with stats. So it might be a character with 3 values, one for Bravery, one for Poise and one for Aplomb. Something like that. There will also be one general sticker for the logo and one for The Covenant of The Moon.

From what I know of Kole, I don't want to live in Koledran. I will not be backing your Kickstarter until you replace it with a land run by someone more palatable, like Brad Wardell or TotalBiscuit.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

Crate & Crowbar are about to get their first patreon monthly allowance and I think the first thing they're doing is upgrading their recording equipment. So now you whiners can start listening to the best video games podcast.

Great news. To be fair to them the last few episodes have been way better. I think it was their levels more than the actual equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Jippa posted:

Great news. To be fair to them the last few episodes have been way better. I think it was their levels more than the actual equipment.

Yeah, I kept forgetting to pop-in here and mention that C&C is now actually listenable, as well as continuing to be the best PC gaming focussed podcast there is.

• Locked thread