Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

I picked this game up in a sale about a year ago and have just started playing. Any tips for absolute beginners?

Aside from don't bother rerollling, just pick up two weapons that compliment each other and take it easy. I still think Sword/Chaos is probably the friendliest build but you can link any two weapons with similar attacks like burst/frenzy/strike etc and just stack the buffs and debuffs together.

The game recently got updated so I'm not sure how the bullions work with the recent update but the general advice for newbies since beta was to stick (and level up) one weapon first to QL6, save your bullions, follow the road and run all the way to the Blue Mountains and pick up the QL6 weapons from the vendor there.

Other than that, just take your time and enjoy all the quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Kegslayer posted:

Aside from don't bother rerollling, just pick up two weapons that compliment each other and take it easy. I still think Sword/Chaos is probably the friendliest build but you can link any two weapons with similar attacks like burst/frenzy/strike etc and just stack the buffs and debuffs together.

The game recently got updated so I'm not sure how the bullions work with the recent update but the general advice for newbies since beta was to stick (and level up) one weapon first to QL6, save your bullions, follow the road and run all the way to the Blue Mountains and pick up the QL6 weapons from the vendor there.

Other than that, just take your time and enjoy all the quests.

Cool, will do. Do factions matter much? I went with the mysterious chaos orientals.

I picked claws and blood magic as my weapons, how do I know if they're complimentary?

Other than that I figure I'll just play this as an rpg for a few weeks and look into grouping once soloing stops working.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Tirade posted:

I picked claws and blood magic as my weapons, how do I know if they're complimentary?

Fist/Blood is decent enough. Make a beeline for Bloodsport+Salt In The Wound, but remember to dip one point into Blades for the heal-on-penetration passive.

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.

Tirade posted:

Cool, will do. Do factions matter much? I went with the mysterious chaos orientals.

Other than that I figure I'll just play this as an rpg for a few weeks and look into grouping once soloing stops working.

Factions only matter for PVP, really, since you can group up with anyone for PVE stuff. Each faction has a few unique quests and all their own quest turn-in text.

Check out tswdb.com for builds and guides. They have a beginners guide here: http://www.tswdb.com/miscellaneous/the-secret-world-beginner-guide

There's a beginner fist/blood build here that might be useful: http://www.tswdb.com/builds/beginner-solo/basic-fist-weapon-combinations

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

You're in luck since this game works really, really, really well as a solo urban rpg. You can tell if weapons/skills are complimentary by checking the abilities on the ability wheel.

In terms of weapons, Fist/Claws, Blood and the Assault rifle are healing weapons so they share similar healing passives. You'll note that the majority of Fists abilities usually are in the 'Focus' or 'Burst' attack categories while Blood has 'Focus' or 'Chain' so if you want to make a Blood/Fist build, you'd want to build around a shared attack category, (ie Focus) and find passives that boost focus abilities.

There's a bunch of newbie builds on the database but in general you'd want an aoe builder to clear mobs, two consumers and heals/interrupts etc to fill out the rest of the deck. The suggested decks use to be pretty useless so just find a guide and a build that you want to play with.

Factions don't really matter except they do get a number of different faction specific missions and they do determine who can join your guild/cabal if you were looking for one. I think it's generally accepted that Illuminati have the best handler, Templar get access to one of the best missions in the game (Virgula Divine) while the Dragon have the best understanding of what's really happening behind the scenes if you can filter through all their mumbo jumbo.

You don't really need to group to do quests except for the dungeons but the dungeons in the game are pretty fun and worth doing. You pretty much go straight from boss to boss with little downtime and the stories behind the dungeons are all pretty cool.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I wonder if you could just go to weapon level 10 these days and straight up get an epic. Haven't really checked how much they are but it's all one currency now.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Morglon posted:

I wonder if you could just go to weapon level 10 these days and straight up get an epic. Haven't really checked how much they are but it's all one currency now.

Purple weapons cost 300 black bullion. Purple talismans also cost 300.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

You could go straight for a QL10 weapon, but how would you equip it

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Right click it in your inventory.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Tirade posted:

You picked the wrong faction. Reroll now. Templar Forever. Don't listen to me. Don't reroll.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tirade posted:

Create a character for each faction and check out their starts. They're all different/pretty cool. When you get all three to Kingsmouth, you can decide which handler you like best, basically.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Thanks heaps for the responses everyone.

It seems that I was given some bonus funbux to tempt me into spending money in the store. Anything in particular I should spend them on?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Fun clothes or adventure packs.

I remember now why everybody hated Issue 8 though, this scenario bullshit is still plain unfun. You're not gonna die, you're not gonna have trouble killing the bads if they actually fight you but you will get snared a ton and enemies will run past you to kill your guys and you're not gonna catch up with them. At least you can get all the augment poo poo from doing literally anything so Venice can suck it.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
On normal or novice, yes. Elite scenarios can kill you if you're not in full purple gear yet (Or just not paying attention, which happens more often than I'd care to admit to me). Nightmare scenarios will almost certainly kill you at least once, even in full 10.4-10.5 gear.

You're right though, scenarios are kind of unfun. It was why they first added the fake council seal you could buy for pax instead of doing scenarios, then lowered the cost of the real one to one thing so you only had to do one scenario and you didn't even have to finish it. Because there were people stuck not being able to progress to Tokyo because scenarios are THAT unfun that they refused to do them. Amusingly that now costs 1 BB instead so you don't even have to spend a million pax to never do a scenario ever now. Which in turn makes the old fake one which is still there for a million pax kind of a trap option but still.

General Maximus fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 23, 2015

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I can kind of see them being alright with a coordinated group but at that point you might as well do dungeons for better rewards and more fun and some cool scenery.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Morglon posted:

I can kind of see them being alright with a coordinated group but at that point you might as well do dungeons for better rewards and more fun and some cool scenery.

As a player who came back periodically for new content, I sold everything I had to fund that 1 million dollar purchase because scenarios were really poo poo and I just wanted to see the new stuff. I don't know why Funcom thinks grinding poo poo repeatedly somehow makes up for the lack of things to do.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I will probably start playing this again in a week, once holidays start.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kegslayer posted:

As a player who came back periodically for new content, I sold everything I had to fund that 1 million dollar purchase because scenarios were really poo poo and I just wanted to see the new stuff. I don't know why Funcom thinks grinding poo poo repeatedly somehow makes up for the lack of things to do.

They don't have more than like three devs to make new "content", does it surprise you they're trying to stretch it as much as possible?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

orcane posted:

They don't have more than like three devs to make new "content", does it surprise you they're trying to stretch it as much as possible?

Actually it does since all the other issues were good, just that one sucked. They so have a lot of extra story and I wouldn't mind the recycling assets to just get out some of that.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I did the trio of elite scenarios with a pick-up group that knew what it was doing and they were pretty fun. I think I died... twice? And I was mostly in QL6-8 blues. I could definitely see that grinding them for augments was going to be terrible, though.

Got a couple augments and a hoodie out of it, so now I can... roleplay a Council representative I guess? :shrug: They need more ridiculous clothing options.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
I dunno, the rainbow clothing and the mystery machine motorbike from the last event were pretty ridiculous.

Also, I'm actually kind of hoping that they add some new scenarios, maybe even a different sort of scenario. It must've been planned at some point because they have a dropdown on the UI to select the type of scenario which currently only has one option. They did say there'd be some pve content alongside the pvp stuff in issue 13 so maybe then. I know that makes me weird but somehow I think it'd be less annoying to do them if there was more than the same three ones with the same one objective over and over and over.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Dareon posted:

They need more ridiculous clothing options.

The loss of the mankini isn't the greatest tragedy about this game, but it's definitely in the top five.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
TSW is a mess due to all the padding. Scenarios are a grind, though the BB changes do mean they are at least avoidable now, but there is still the almost as bad AEGIS grind. I mean it's a fractal of lazy design:

You have to repeat a time gated mission to even get full aegis gear for both weapons.

You have to level each piece separately(only the active pieces gain xp, wtf) which means grinding mobs and missions

You have to grind missions to be able to buy upgrade kits.

You have to grind missions in order to get rewards in order to get high quality secondary item drops.

It's just a miserable grind and ugh. The fact there is a new dungeon is cute but new players are going to hit this grind, be told "yeah sorry need them 1.5 controllers" and realize that means just running around Tokyo for weeks doing mindless poo poo.

At least original dungeon stuff was gated to "get through the story in Trans, you'll have ql10 blues, gatekeeper, then start doing dungeons to get purpose drops while you save up bullion for customs"

The progress was smooth, rather than a giant wall of gently caress off.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I agree, they should've at the very least given you all the controllers right away and leveling them up should be a lot easier. AEGIS was a terrible idea but they've also implemented it in the worst possible way. I don't really mind the time gating so much but it just means that you're spamming the same two or three missions every three days instead of a bunch at once so it lessens burnout I guess?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That lessens burnout about as much as doing the same three nightmares every day does, yes. Wait.

Even the early road to 10.4 gear was a wall of badly balanced gently caress off, but it was similar to other MMO timegating bullshit, as well as masked by frequent content additions for the people who didn't really care about the nightmare dungeon grind. So I guess that makes it slightly better than how egregiously bad scenarios or AEGIS are.

Here run these dungeons of wildly varying difficulty, balanced by a bunch of morons who probably can't even beat the elite versions, getting badly itemized drops. Hope your group didn't suck and save you to a lockout then disband for any reason. By the way you're never going to beat half these nightmares in the gear they drop with normal players, we really want you to be farming for these 10.4 things for a while because Ragnar left and oh god we're out of money. Oh and by the way occasionally we're just going to break some mechanics that made the nightmare bosses bearable because of course we would, we're not the guys who have to play this stuff am I right?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

All the worst bits of this game are the MMO bits.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well it did lessen burnout for me since it's hard to burn out on a game you're barely playing because you can't do the missions that give you the poo poo you need and wander off to play something else. I'm grasping at straws here and that's not what they intended at least I don't think it is and it's not what an MMO is supposed to do, it's supposed to keep you engaged and playing. Dunno, as I said, AEGIS is dumb and bad.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Kessel posted:

All the worst bits of this game are the MMO bits.

I agree with this. Its been a while since I have had to grind (And the issue 12 currency changes really reduce the grind). But I can agree, the introduction to AEGIS, Getting your aegis controllers, scenarios.. All a giant grind.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

General Maximus posted:

I dunno, the rainbow clothing and the mystery machine motorbike from the last event were pretty ridiculous.

Also, I'm actually kind of hoping that they add some new scenarios, maybe even a different sort of scenario.
It must've been planned at some point because they have a dropdown on the UI to select the type of scenario which currently only has one option. They did say there'd be some pve content alongside the pvp stuff in issue 13 so maybe then. I know that makes me weird but somehow I think it'd be less annoying to do them if there was more than the same three ones with the same one objective over and over and over.

When scenarios first released there were three types of scenarios referenced in the game files. The one we have, a vehicle run where you are chased by a monsoon, and a Scooby-Doo style investigation mission simulator that takes place in one of the three hubs. I haven't looked in awhile so I don't know if the data is still there.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Getting from point A to point B before the <insert appropriate eldritch horror> catches you would be pretty cool, actually.

quote:

new players are going to hit this grind, be told "yeah sorry need them 1.5 controllers" and realize that means just running around Tokyo for weeks doing mindless poo poo.

Technically this isn't true anymore. You can buy containers that more often than not have xp in them from the same vendor that sells the upgrade kits. Previously they cost sequins of sunrise which still meant you had to do Tokyo content, but now they cost the same black bullion you get for everything so you can do whatever you like and then go buy those to level your aegis things without ever doing anything in Tokyo. You still have to do the two specific missions to get the second set of controllers plus the other mission for the shields though, which sucks.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Cuntpunch posted:

TSW is a mess due to all the padding. Scenarios are a grind, though the BB changes do mean they are at least avoidable now, but there is still the almost as bad AEGIS grind. I mean it's a fractal of lazy design:

You have to repeat a time gated mission to even get full aegis gear for both weapons.

You have to level each piece separately(only the active pieces gain xp, wtf) which means grinding mobs and missions

You have to grind missions to be able to buy upgrade kits.

You have to grind missions in order to get rewards in order to get high quality secondary item drops.

It's just a miserable grind and ugh. The fact there is a new dungeon is cute but new players are going to hit this grind, be told "yeah sorry need them 1.5 controllers" and realize that means just running around Tokyo for weeks doing mindless poo poo.

At least original dungeon stuff was gated to "get through the story in Trans, you'll have ql10 blues, gatekeeper, then start doing dungeons to get purpose drops while you save up bullion for customs"

The progress was smooth, rather than a giant wall of gently caress off.

This is actually why I don't buy the whole "It should be a single player RPG!" stuff. If this was a buy to play single player game that constantly updated after release you'd still probably see this to some degree.

Doesn't matter if your game is single player or multiplayer in how it delivers directed story content like how TSW does. If you pad the accessibility to story content like how Tokyo and scenarios do it's going to suck for most players regardless. That's not a MMO thing. It's a "poo poo guys, our DLC release schedule/content patch/whatever is sparse in actual content. We need to pad out the length of it to make it seem bigger than it really is!" thing. Plenty of single player games do that. MMO's aren't some special beast in that regard. They just tend to have more cases of it obviously happening.

Even then, like 9/10th's of the content updates TSW has had have been meaningful. It's just tedious poo poo that came out lately like scenarios and Tokyo's itemization system mixed with a slow update schedule that poisoned the pool. Scenarios originally had the very small saving grace of supposedly gearing you up for Tokyo. Hell, "getting you ready for Tokyo" was literally part of the story. Then the devs basically decided to piss all over that by having Tokyo introducing a whole new grind (and put you at basically level 1 in it) by introducing the AEGIS system.

Making it worse, you had to either know to save 1 million Pax to continue the story and get access to Tokyo or resign yourself to grinding through scenarios. So people go from neat story content to running lovely storyless missions to get there more often than not. It's a huge slog that burned out just about everyone I knew that decided to try the game out. I never heard anyone complain about the game before that point.

The real problem is that every now and then Funcom just cocked up development of TSW and didn't "get" some of the ideas behind how to make their content model work. Or they succumbed to the urge to add meaningless time sinks in like some actively developed games do when they know an update is going to be light on content and another one is long in coming. Which isn't really conducive to the content model they tend to have originally attracted people to try out TSW with.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 25, 2015

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

General Maximus posted:

Getting from point A to point B before the <insert appropriate eldritch horror> catches you would be pretty cool, actually.

Technically this isn't true anymore. You can buy containers that more often than not have xp in them from the same vendor that sells the upgrade kits. Previously they cost sequins of sunrise which still meant you had to do Tokyo content, but now they cost the same black bullion you get for everything so you can do whatever you like and then go buy those to level your aegis things without ever doing anything in Tokyo. You still have to do the two specific missions to get the second set of controllers plus the other mission for the shields though, which sucks.

Great, substitute "running around Trans for weeks" instead. Except that'll be slower, since you aren't getting aegis xp from the mobs. Or from mission End rewards. Oh, and the crazy pax cost of them containers, if you want to use them.

This doesn't even touch the scenario/augment madness: rare drops from lovely content that to level up you need to get what-14 of them in total?

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Just tried to do some scenario's with the wife, pretty sure we're getting divorced now. Why the gently caress are they so terrible?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anyone know if TSW runs well on a Surface Pro 3?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

robziel posted:

Just tried to do some scenario's with the wife, pretty sure we're getting divorced now. Why the gently caress are they so terrible?

Scenarios were designed to pad out the grind, to give players something to grind against waiting for tokyo.

They aren't fun and I find them very dull, id skip them.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
I still think I'd like scenarios more if there were more types than the one we have, and if they weren't the only way to get augments in the entire game.

Len posted:

Anyone know if TSW runs well on a Surface Pro 3?

I've yet to find a system TSW runs well on, so my guess would be 'probably not'.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Funcom is making a single-player horror game about a haunted amusement park: The Park teaser.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Single player? But but but people will pirate it and they won't sell any copies because everybody has already pirated it and piracy and oh god.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Megazver posted:

Funcom is making a single-player horror game about a haunted amusement park: The Park teaser.

I think its weird how they seem to be deliberately avoiding mentioning that it takes place in TSW.

I guess the name of the game now is to see how much they can cannibalize their games before going bankrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
That amusement park was probably one of the best places to run missions. I mean, I'll fight chainsaw wielding maniacs, zombies, ghosts, and bugs all day... but seriously, f clowns in amusement parks (there were clowns, right? I can barely remember anymore). I always wished they set higher level content there at some point. I guess this is kind of it.

I can't wait for the sequel to The Park that will come out Holloween of next year. "The Black House" then after that "The Academy"

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 26, 2015

• Locked thread