Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If your battery is dying, maybe you shouldn't be playing a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cojawfee posted:

If your battery is dying, maybe you shouldn't be playing a Bethesda game.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i'm dying to play a Bethesda game

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I'm going to play whatever Bethesda game is current when I'm about to die in hopes my consciousness will transfer and I achieve CHIM. It'll end up working but it'll be fallout 52 and the dick mods will be (pun intended) full swing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

And Todd Howard will be there, waiting for your essence.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i'm dying to play a Bethesda game

I'm dying to play a Black Isles game :(

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zombie Boat posted:

I'm going to play whatever Bethesda game is current when I'm about to die in hopes my consciousness will transfer and I achieve CHIM. It'll end up working but it'll be fallout 52 and the dick mods will be (pun intended) full swing.

Lotish posted:

And Todd Howard will be there, waiting for your essence.

"Load times were no more. They had been redeemed of all the iniquities of the broken quest. The Howard drew his nets from the Beginning Place and captured the powdered orange flesh of The Late Gamer, which he knew was the Blight of Man and that would serve only to infect the whole of the modern world, and ate it. ALTADOON GAMER!

"The beginning of the words is ALMSIVI."

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So turning off data and setting your date forward can game the daily rewards as reported.

However I think it irrevocably fucks your game. Since I did it nobody who I send to explore the wasteland actually does anything. Also room completion times shoot up into the hundreds of hours, but that can be reset by rushing them.

I also now have 575/525 power and it doesn't look like it ever drops :downs:

You can fix the room production by rushing, the wasteland explorers and stuck power will fix themselves once your phone clock reaches the time you skipped forward to again.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
I'm not expecting FO4 to run on linux, but I was pleasantly surprised to see FONV show up in my steam library when I switched over. I'm not expecting anyone to port AAA titles to lunix, even with SteamOS and steam machines becoming a thing. Seems like most people who buy lots of games are more interested in indie titles. IDK.

anyway at least I can load up fallout shelter on an emulator really fuckin easy

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A preorder discount. Expires the 28th.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Shakugan posted:

I just wish Fallout 4 had a more interesting location aesthetic. I think people complaining about the graphics in comparison to Fallout 3 are missing the point, the problem is not the graphical quality, but that the setting looks exactly the same as Fallout 3. Could have gone to San Francisco, or New York, or London/Paris/Tokyo/wherever.

There's a pretty good chance they aren't going to show the really stunning parts of the map in trailers. The reason some areas look similar is to reassure those that were disappointed with NV's setting I'd wager. I dont think you really have to worry about the setting being boring.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they eventually make a DLC with New York as the destination, it being pretty drat close.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So, any word on load screens for building entrances?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Rinkles posted:

So, any word on load screens for building entrances?

According to some guy who attended Gamescom, there are load screens when you enter buildings.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Anticheese posted:

According to some guy who attended Gamescom, there are load screens when you enter buildings.

Some buildings, at least. It seems like smaller houses, like the player's old home, garages, and whatever you build will be without loading screens.

As long as I can fast travel to a stash without hitting an extra loading screen, I'm happy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Based on the intro to the game, where you open the front door of your house to meet that salesman, I'd assume some buildings don't require loading.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Based on the intro to the game, where you open the front door of your house to meet that salesman, I'd assume some buildings don't require loading.

I think they've said most buildings don't have loading screens now. It's only for the really complex interiors.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
So you can look out windows now?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Ilustforponydeath posted:

So you can look out windows now?

Looks like it.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Is there anything new since e3

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

sparatuvs posted:

Is there anything new since e3

No, Bethesda's hinted they don't really want to start a media blitz until late Sept/Oct. And they're going to be avoiding revealing anything more plotwise.

EDIT: \/ PS4 here since my PC is a three year old laptop (that did run Skyrim great) and I'm not sure how well it'll work. Plus, the laptop is shared as my work machine so I like using the TV for a change.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 23, 2015

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Hmm 45 bucks on the preorder for PC... For those of you that have both are you going PC or PS4?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

Hmm 45 bucks on the preorder for PC... For those of you that have both are you going PC or PS4?

Definitely PC.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

PC has always been the way to go, barring graphics power issues, due mainly to modding. However, they are working on a way get mods onto the Xbone, with PS4 support sometime in the future.

If your PC is fairly recent I would stick with that version, unless you really like lounging on a couch instead of a computer chair.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
My PC will lag a bit when I hook it up to my av receiver, so I'm definitely going PS4. Is there going to be a season pass or something? I've been holding off on pre-ordering because I want to buy the game and all the DLC and everything right off the bat, but that deal is enticing, and I'm not sure if there's even going to be a way to pre-order all the DLC.

Edit: aww drat. deal is pc only.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Volkerball posted:

My PC will lag a bit when I hook it up to my av receiver, so I'm definitely going PS4. Is there going to be a season pass or something? I've been holding off on pre-ordering because I want to buy the game and all the DLC and everything right off the bat, but that deal is enticing, and I'm not sure if there's even going to be a way to pre-order all the DLC.

There's no season pass. All they have said about DLC is that there will be some, but they aren't working on it yet.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I had an option it would be PC in a heartbeat. Mods in a Bethesda game usually end up extending the lifespan considerably.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The way i go with Bethesda games is get it on console first and then get it on Steam like a year later for cheap to replay. The best New Vegas and Skyrim mods came out nearly two years after release. Hell, some of New Vegas's best mods were released last year.

It also depends on how much I enjoy the game. Fallout 3 is good, but I've always had trouble getting back into it. Skyrim is such a beautiful game despite its flaws and I love the characters and politics of New Vegas. Those are games that I wanted to add little immersion things and quest fixes and graphical stuff to enhance it.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I by far enjoyed new Vegas over 3 or even skyrim, it was just a much more developed and sensical word for the most part(comparatively). I usually end up getting them for both but with console games being 80-90 bucks nowadays I might just skip the foreplay and go straight to PC rather than waiting like I usually do.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Timeless Appeal posted:

The way i go with Bethesda games is get it on console first and then get it on Steam like a year later for cheap to replay. The best New Vegas and Skyrim mods came out nearly two years after release. Hell, some of New Vegas's best mods were released last year.

It also depends on how much I enjoy the game. Fallout 3 is good, but I've always had trouble getting back into it. Skyrim is such a beautiful game despite its flaws and I love the characters and politics of New Vegas. Those are games that I wanted to add little immersion things and quest fixes and graphical stuff to enhance it.

Tale of Two Wastelands made me enjoy Fallout 3 all over again since it gave it the same mechanics as New Vegas. It was kind of a pain to get to work though. I've always gotten Bethesda games on PC though, the mod support and menu navigation is a lot better.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Shakugan posted:

`
I just wish Fallout 4 had a more interesting location aesthetic. I think people complaining about the graphics in comparison to Fallout 3 are missing the point, the problem is not the graphical quality, but that the setting looks exactly the same as Fallout 3. Could have gone to San Francisco, or New York, or London/Paris/Tokyo/wherever.

Going international pretty much defeats the point of Fallout, which involves the cultural and aesthetic influences of 1950's Americana. And New York is the most populous city in the US, it was most likely completely leveled. There definitely wouldn't be much if any of the iconic buildings still standing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

big mean giraffe posted:

Going international pretty much defeats the point of Fallout, which involves the cultural and aesthetic influences of 1950's Americana. And New York is the most populous city in the US, it was most likely completely leveled. There definitely wouldn't be much if any of the iconic buildings still standing.

New York is too emblematic of the US to be just DLC. I fully expect DLC to take me to Revere, Lynn, Medford, and Somerville.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'd probably give Fallout 4 on consoles a pass until release footage and reviews shows Bethesda no longer gives the PS3 treatment to one console brand over another.

big mean giraffe posted:

That doesn't mean they shouldn't try a better The Pitt with the Apple and have a bunch of melted steel skyscrapers and industrial ruin spiderweb out over the still radioactive floor of New York City.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

You can't have New York be DLC in a game where the main setting is Boston because who the gently caress would ever wanna be in Boston.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
With Bethesda letting us know that the decision to place Fallout 4 in Boston was made pretty much as soon as a Fallout 3 was done I'm sure every spergy nerd and internet superstar will be giving every single one of the 15,000 lines of dialogue the Freud treatment to try and be "the first" to figure out what Bethesda has in mind for future Fallout developments.

I think the energy wasted there would be much better spent trying to get laid by an actual human being or something, but then again I don't want these types of people breeding.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It would be funny if there was free DLC that was like Operation Anchorage. In which you load up in a simulator that sends you to New York. You show up in New York and then the bombs drop, everything is glassed and then the simulation ends kicking back into the game world.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SRM posted:

Tale of Two Wastelands made me enjoy Fallout 3 all over again since it gave it the same mechanics as New Vegas. It was kind of a pain to get to work though. I've always gotten Bethesda games on PC though, the mod support and menu navigation is a lot better.

Eagerly awaiting Tale of Three Wastelands

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Crabtree posted:

That doesn't mean they shouldn't try a better The Pitt with the Apple and have a bunch of melted steel skyscrapers and industrial ruin spiderweb out over the still radioactive floor of New York City.

New York is boring and overplayed, might as well do it in Vancouver. 99% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference in looks, and you could get into the occupation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think I'm gonna need a new PC to run this so I'll probably wait on buying it in general.

SRM posted:

New York is too emblematic of the US to be just DLC. I fully expect DLC to take me to Revere, Lynn, Medford, and Somerville.

Yeah, I would expect New York to be an entire game on its own. You can do the Five Boroughs and there's your full game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silencekit
May 1, 2014

Staten Island DLC not worth playing.

• Locked thread