Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

flosofl posted:

NO AWARD is quite prolific. They may just sweep this year. I'll have to pick up some of their stuff.

It just got the Best Short Story category. That's four so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

Bear in mind that No Award has only been used five times before this year.
Seems the appropriate reaction to this year's shitstorm, then.
edit: Novella, no award. Easily better that way.
And Three-body gets the big one. Looks like common sense has prevailed.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 23, 2015

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Poor John C. Wright. Nominated three times in the same category and still loses.

The Three Body Problem won Best Novel.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 23, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This is the best.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Gotta be perfectly honest, I'm a *tiny* bit unsure about Three-Body Problem winning, if only because Theodore "Vox Day" Beale liked it and I hate him with a passion. However, I do realise that this is unfair to the author, so congratulations to him.

That said, at least the Puppies got virtually no awards. (The only award they won was the Dramatic Presentation award, and Guardians of the Galaxy probably would have been on the ballot without Beale and company's "help").

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

Poor John C. Wright. Nominated three times in the same category and still loses.

Six nominations, no rocketships. If you listen closely, you can hear my heart bleeding for Wright.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
He gets off on imagined persecution so he's getting exactly what he wants.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Forgall posted:

He gets off on imagined persecution so he's getting exactly what he wants.

Which is why it sounds like he's going to try to burn it down entirely next year by just bringing in more people to vote party line (and presumably vote No Award or flood their slate in all categories).

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Here's a link to the voting tallies: http://www.thehugoawards.org/content/pdf/2015HugoStatistics.pdf

It also shows which nominations were superseded by the "puppies". A really interesting read.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I bought a membership for this year's WorldCon to vote for Helsinki 2017 (and we won :toot:) and I nearly forgot to vote in the Hugos but this is giving me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

I think this One Weird Trick to Ruin the Hugos (Feminists hate it!) can only be tried once, now that everyone's cottoned on to the fact that you can try to engineer the noms, people will counter-engineer them just like they counter-voted for the awards themselves now.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 23, 2015

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

a trolley posted:

Here's a link to the voting tallies: http://www.thehugoawards.org/content/pdf/2015HugoStatistics.pdf

It also shows which nominations were superseded by the "puppies". A really interesting read.

Here it is non-PDF'd. looking through that list it seems the attempted slate managed maybe at best 800-900 votes, out of around 3000+ votes in each category.

quote:

Best Novel (5653 final ballots, 1827 nominating ballots, 587 entries, range 212-387)

* The Three Body Problem, Cixin Liu, Ken Liu translator (Tor Books)
The Goblin Emperor, Katherine Addison (Sarah Monette) (Tor Books)
Ancillary Sword, Ann Leckie (Orbit US/Orbit UK)
No Award
Skin Game, Jim Butcher (Orbit UK/Roc Books)
The Dark Between the Stars, Kevin J. Anderson (Tor Books)
Note: The Three-Body Problem was originally published in Chinese in 2008. The 2014 publication by Tor was the first English-language version, and therefore it is again eligible for the Hugos, according to section 3.4.1 of the WSFS Constitution.

Best Novella (5337 final ballots, 1083 nominating ballots, 201 entries, range 145-338)

* No Award
“Flow”, Arlan Andrews, Sr. (Analog, 11-2014)
Big Boys Don’t Cry, Tom Kratman (Castalia House)
One Bright Star to Guide Them, John C. Wright (Castalia House)
“The Plural of Helen of Troy”, John C. Wright (City Beyond Time: Tales of the Fall of Metachronopolis, Castalia House)
“Pale Realms of Shade”, John C. Wright (The Book of Feasts & Seasons, Castalia House)
Note: Both Big Boys Don’t Cry and One Bright Star to Guide Them were previously published in much shorter versions, and were significantly expanded to novella-length in their 2014 publication. Following previous precedents, for the purposes of the 2015 Hugos they are designated as new works.

Best Novelette (5104 final ballots, 1031 nominating ballots, 314 entries, (72-267)

* “The Day the World Turned Upside Down”, Thomas Olde Heuvelt, Lia Belt translator (Lightspeed, 04-2014)
No Award
“The Triple Sun: A Golden Age Tale”, Rajnar Vajra (Analog, 07/08-2014)
“Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust, Earth to Alluvium”, Gray Rinehart (Orson Scott Card’s InterGalactic Medicine Show, 05-2014)
“The Journeyman: In the Stone House”, Michael F. Flynn (Analog, 06-2014)
“Championship B’tok”, Edward M. Lerner (Analog, 09-2014)

Best Short Story (5267 final ballots, 1174 nominating ballots, 728 entries, range 132-226)

* No Award
“Totaled”, Kary English (Galaxy’s Edge Magazine, 07-2014)
“A Single Samurai”, Steven Diamond (The Baen Big Book of Monsters, Baen Books)
“Turncoat”, Steve Rzasa (Riding the Red Horse, Castalia House)
“On A Spiritual Plain”, Lou Antonelli (Sci Phi Journal #2, 11-2014)
“The Parliament of Beasts and Birds”, John C. Wright (The Book of Feasts & Seasons, Castalia House)

Best Related Work (4901 final ballots, 1150 nominating ballots, 346 entries, range 206-273)

* No Award
“The Hot Equations: Thermodynamics and Military SF”, Ken Burnside (Riding the Red Horse, Castalia House)
“Why Science is Never Settled”, Tedd Roberts (Baen.com)
Transhuman and Subhuman: Essays on Science Fiction and Awful Truth, John C. Wright (Castalia House)
Letters from Gardner, Lou Antonelli (The Merry Blacksmith Press)
Wisdom from My Internet, Michael Z. Williamson (Patriarchy Press)

Best Graphic Story (4412 final ballots, 785 nominating ballots, 325 entries, range 60-201)

* Ms. Marvel Volume 1: No Normal, written by G. Willow Wilson, illustrated by Adrian Alphona and Jake Wyatt, (Marvel Comics)
Saga Volume 3, written by Brian K. Vaughan, illustrated by Fiona Staples (Image Comics))
Rat Queens Volume 1: Sass and Sorcery, written by Kurtis J. Weibe, art by Roc Upchurch (Image Comics)
Sex Criminals Volume 1: One Weird Trick, written by Matt Fraction, art by Chip Zdarsky (Image Comics)
No Award
The Zombie Nation Book #2: Reduce Reuse Reanimate, Carter Reid (The Zombie Nation)

Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form (5240 final ballots, 1285 nominating ballots, 189 entries, range 204-769)

* Guardians of the Galaxy, written by James Gunn and Nicole Perlman, directed by James Gunn (Marvel Studios, Moving Picture Company)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier, screenplay by Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely, concept and story by Ed Brubaker, directed by Anthony Russo and Joe Russo (Marvel Entertainment, Perception, Sony Pictures Imageworks)
Edge of Tomorrow, screenplay by Christopher McQuarrie, Jez Butterworth, and John-Henry Butterworth, directed by Doug Liman (Village Roadshow, RatPac-Dune Entertainment, 3 Arts Entertainment; Viz Productions)
Interstellar, screenplay by Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan, directed by Christopher Nolan (Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros. Pictures, Legendary Pictures, Lynda Obst Productions, Syncopy)
The Lego Movie, written by Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, story by Dan Hageman, Kevin Hageman, Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, directed by Phil Lord & Christopher Miller (Warner Bros. Pictures, Village Roadshow Pictures, RatPac-Dune Entertainment, LEGO System A/S, Vertigo Entertainment, Lin Pictures, Warner Bros. Animation (as Warner Animation Group))

Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form (4705 final ballots, 938 nominating ballots, 470 entries, range 71-170)

* Orphan Black: “By Means Which Have Never Yet Been Tried”, ” written by Graham Manson, directed by John Fawcett (Temple Street Productions, Space/BBC America)
Doctor Who: “Listen”, written by Steven Moffat, directed by Douglas Mackinnon (BBC Television)
Game of Thrones: “The Mountain and the Viper”, written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss, directed by Alex Graves ((HBO Entertainment in association with Bighead, Littlehead; Television 360; Startling Television and Generator Productions)
The Flash: “Pilot”, teleplay by Andrew Kreisberg & Geoff Johns, story by Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg & Geoff Johns, directed by David Nutter (The CW) (Berlanti Productions, DC Entertainment, Warner Bros. Television)
Grimm: “Once We Were Gods”, written by Alan DiFiore, directed by Steven DePaul (NBC) (GK Productions, Hazy Mills Productions, Universal TV)

Best Editor, Short Form (4850 final ballots, 870 nominating ballots, 187 entries, range 162-279)

* No Award
Mike Resnick
Jennifer Brozek
Bryan Thomas Schmidt
Vox Day
Edmund R. Schubert (Withdrew after ballot finalized)

Best Editor, Long Form (4907 final ballots, 712 nominating ballots, 124 entries, range 166-368)

* No Award
Toni Weisskopf
Sheila Gilbert
Anne Sowards
Jim Minz
Vox Day

Best Professional Artist (4354 final ballots, 753 nominating ballots, 300 entries, range 118-188)

* Julie Dillon
No Award
Kirk DouPonce
Alan Pollack
Nick Greenwood
Carter Reid

Best Semiprozine (3880 final ballots, 660 nominating ballots, 100 entries, range 94-229)

* Lightspeed Magazine, edited by John Joseph Adams, Stefan Rudnicki, Rich Horton, Wendy N. Wagner, and Christie Yant
Strange Horizons, Niall Harrison, editor-in-chief
Beneath Ceaseless Skies, edited by Scott H. Andrews
No Award
Abyss & Apex, Wendy Delmater editor and publisher
Andromeda Spaceways In-Flight Magazine, Andromeda Spaceways Publishing Association Incorporated, 2014 editors David Kernot and Sue Bursztynski

Best Fanzine (3818 final ballots, 576 nominating ballots, 162 entries, range 68-208)

* Journey Planet, edited by James Bacon, Christopher J Garcia, Colin Harris, Alissa McKersie, and Helen J. Montgomery
No Award
Black Gate, edited by John O’Neill (Withdrew after ballot finalized)
Tangent SF Online, edited by Dave Truesdale
Elitist Book Reviews, edited by Steven Diamond
The Revenge of Hump Day, edited by Tim Bolgeo

Best Fancast (3884 final ballots, 668 nominating ballots, 162 entries, range 69-179)

* Galactic Suburbia Podcast, Alisa Krasnostein, Alexandra Pierce, Tansy Rayner Roberts (Presenters) and Andrew Finch (Producer)
Tea and Jeopardy, Emma Newman and Peter Newman
No Award
The Sci Phi Show, Jason Rennie
Adventures in SciFi Publishing, Brent Bower (Executive Producer), Kristi Charish, Timothy C. Ward & Moses Siregar III (Co-Hosts, Interviewers and Producers)
Dungeon Crawlers Radio, Daniel Swenson (Producer/Host), Travis Alexander & Scott Tomlin (Hosts), Dale Newton (Host/Tech), Damien Swenson (Audio/Video Tech)

Best Fan Writer (3884 final ballots, 777 nominating ballots, 265 entries, range 129-201)

* Laura J. Mixon
No Award
Jeffro Johnson
Dave Freer
Amanda S. Green
Cedar Sanderson

Best Fan Artist (3476 final ballots, 296 nominating ballots, 198 entries, range 23-48)

* Elizabeth Leggett
Spring Schoenhuth
Ninni Aalto
Steve Stiles
Brad W. Foster

The John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer (4338 final ballots, 851 nominating ballots, 220 entries, range 106-229)
Award for the best new professional science fiction or fantasy writer of 2013 or 2014, sponsored by Dell Magazines. (Not a Hugo Award, but administered along with the Hugo Awards.)

* Wesley Chu*
No Award
Kary English*
Eric S. Raymond
Jason Cordova
Rolf Nelson
*Finalists in their 2nd year of eligibility.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

cultureulterior posted:

This is a fantastic book! I so enjoy an author that does not give in to pointless sentimentality at the final hurdle.

Im kind of split on this. Im on chapter 9 right now, but im like, really gritting my teeth through it. One the one hand, I really like the way the prose is written. On the other hand, I find myself really bored with the story. I really don't care about carolyn as a character or the librarians plight. so far the pacing is boring me to death. But like I said the style of writing is something im really fond of but I just cant get engaged. maybe these "big idea" kind of books arn't my thing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

So next year's theme is 'If I can't have you, no one will'?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

TOOT BOOT posted:

So next year's theme is 'If I can't have you, no one will'?

Now we know the result of that. This is a cultural war, not a literary sport. They are practicing a scorched earth strategy,
and we can certainly assist them in that since we do not value their territory.
I still think it was worth trying to take Berlin and end the war in one fell swoop,
but even though our attempt break them once and for all failed, that only means that the victory was less than complete.
What the Puppies accomplished was incredible when you look at the numbers involved and clearly indicates that the Rabid strategy,
not the Sad one, is the only viable strategy.
There will be no reconciliation.

-Vox Day

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The epitome of Christian attitude.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Yay the book that should have won did win!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Antti posted:

I bought a membership for this year's WorldCon to vote for Helsinki 2017 (and we won :toot:) and I nearly forgot to vote in the Hugos but this is giving me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Hugos - apart from feeling super proud for David Gerrold - but this is super news, congratulations!

evilbastard posted:

Here it is non-PDF'd. looking through that list it seems the attempted slate managed maybe at best 800-900 votes, out of around 3000+ votes in each category.

Actually what he linked is the detailed breakdown with how many votes each nominee got; the really anal stuff. What jumped out at me was a) that neither the first nor second place Novel finalists were on the original ballot, and b) the Puppies, if I'm reading this correctly, voted very differently for different prizes. The Dark Between the Stars got 251 votes (but Skin Game got 874) and three novellas got about 500 votes. I'd guess the straight Puppy voters numbered about 800ish.

The business meeting where we plot to prevent any good, old-fashioned, simple storytelling ever winning again is tomorrow, and that's the real news, I suppose.

(E: some interesting analysis here: https://chaoshorizon.wordpress.com/2015/08/23/2015-hugo-stats-initial-analysis/ - check out the very end...)

adhuin posted:

What the Puppies accomplished was incredible when you look at the numbers involved and clearly indicates that the Rabid strategy,
not the Sad one, is the only viable strategy.
There will be no reconciliation.

-Vox Day

Wasting no time turning on his friends, is he?

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 23, 2015

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I like how he got dead last in every editor category. But remember Vox, you surround them! The silent majority is with you!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I voted "No award" in categories where I felt none of the nominations were really worth it, but in stuff like the editor picks I did some digging to find a non-Puppy candidate. Otherwise I just left the ballot blank (especially in the fan categories) since I didn't feel it was right to vote if I have no idea what I'm doing. I get the logic behind just No awarding everything as a protest to the nomination process being tainted, though.

Oh yeah and City of Stairs getting knocked off the ballot is a drat shame. I doubt it would have won but it deserved to be up there.

Oh and apparently Kloos withdrawing allowed the eventual Novel winner on the ballot? That guy deserves a lot of beers.

House Louse posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about the Hugos - apart from feeling super proud for David Gerrold - but this is super news, congratulations!

Thanks. I'm a local so I'm already getting reservations for a spot on the floor! I haven't been to a WorldCon before but having one a 45 minute drive away instead of a 12 hour flight is a big incentive.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 23, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Tor.com has a list of the winners, but you won't see that no award has won in several categories until you read the full article, it doesn't get mentioned in the brief text, and unlike nearly all other posts on tor.com, comments are disabled.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Tobias Buckell did a good break down on how the alternate Hugo Ballot would have looked like without ballot stuffing:
http://www.tobiasbuckell.com/2015/08/23/what-the-alternate-hugo-ballot-would-likely-have-been/

quote:

Best Novel

Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie
The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison
The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin
Lock In by John Scalzi
City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennet

Best Novella

The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Pat Rothfuss
The Regular by Ken Liu
Yesterday’s Kin by Nancy Kress
Grand Jete by Rachel Swirsky
The Mothers of Voorhisville by Mary Rickert

Best Novelette

The Day the World Turned Upside Down by Thomas Olde Heuvelt
Each to Each by Seanan McGuire
The Devil in America by Kai Ashante Wilson
The Litany of Earth by Ruthann Emrys
The Magician and Laplace’s Demon by Tom Crosshill

Best Short Story

The Jackalope Wives by Ursula Vernon
The Breath of War by Aliette de Bodard
The Truth About Owls by Amal El-Mohtar
When It Ends, He Catches Her by Eugie Foster*
A Kiss With Teeth by Max Gladstone*

JWC Award for Best New Writer
Wesley Chu
Andy Weir
Alyssa Wong
Carmen Marchado
Django Wexler

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Heh. Another Scalzi. Was it even good?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Megazver posted:

Heh. Another Scalzi. Was it even good?

I liked it.

And I say that knowing of the hate-on this thread has for him.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I don't hate him either, but I definitely think the criticism that he keeps getting nominated because of his huge online fanbase rather than the actual quality of his books is valid.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm pretty satisfied with how the Hugos turned out this year. I spent June and July reading, voting, and blogging on the entries, and for the categories that I actually finished reading (50-60% of them, I'm guessing), either my choice won (Novel) or there were so many worthy entries that I'd just shrug and chalk it up to different tastes. (Graphic Story and Dramatic Presentation: Long Form)

The only exception was "The Day the World Turned Upside-Down" winning the Novelette category. Am I the only one here who thinks that particular story is facile and insufferable, that the metaphor is painfully obvious and pretentious?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Solitair posted:

The only exception was "The Day the World Turned Upside-Down" winning the Novelette category. Am I the only one here who thinks that particular story is facile and insufferable, that the metaphor is painfully obvious and pretentious?
Yeah, it didn't feel too good. It was probably best out of that category, though. It's rather sad, really.

That alternate list seems a bit suspect, to be honest. Rothfuss? And where the gently caress is Acceptance?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, it didn't feel too good. It was probably best out of that category, though. It's rather sad, really.

"Ashes to Ashes etc." and "The Journeyman" were both more satisfying reads, if nothing mind-blowing, but they probably lost because they didn't have a hook like a reverse-gravity apocalypse (Do you get it? The world is literally upside-down! It's a double meaning! :downs:).

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

That alternate list seems a bit suspect, to be honest. Rothfuss? And where the gently caress is Acceptance?
I believe he looked at the stat pages (he mention someone tweeted the pics), and removed all the Puppy slate entries, then added what came next in those categories. He also mentions that he didn't take the 5% rule into account regarding the Best Short Story category.

If you think Rothfuss being on the ballot, and Acceptance isn't there, is suspect, it should be pretty easy to verify. Unless it's just your personal preferences shining through :)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Sounds about right.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

polish sausage posted:

Im kind of split on this. Im on chapter 9 right now, but im like, really gritting my teeth through it. One the one hand, I really like the way the prose is written. On the other hand, I find myself really bored with the story. I really don't care about carolyn as a character or the librarians plight. so far the pacing is boring me to death. But like I said the style of writing is something im really fond of but I just cant get engaged. maybe these "big idea" kind of books arn't my thing.

Well, Carolyn will destroy the sun, conquer the universe and kill her most-loved memory in the last 2/5th of the book

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Megazver posted:

Sounds about right.

Not really. King's a special case--people don't really think of him as a Science Fiction or Fantasy writer anymore. But if he showed up at Dragoncon and spent it rubbing elbows with the fans, SMOFs, and writers somewhere visible, people would think of him as part of the community--and then he'd get nominated for another award because people love the poo poo out of his books.

Of course, from here on out it's probably campaigning all the way.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
So on a scale from 1 to loving dramabomb, how dramabomb were the Hugos this year?

I've kinda avoided most sci-fi blogs with a passion since the Sad Puppies thing started happening. It's been a while.

e: for Stephen King, he's not wrong but scifi whether by virtue of being a thing for shut-in basement dwellers or not being totally accepted by "mainstream" literary types it's always been more a grassroots thing... which is what opened the Hugos to voting fuckery this year. He's not wrong, but eh I like the grassroot-y feeling even with the dark side of nerds taken into account.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 23, 2015

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Monopthalmus posted:

Is there such a thing as a hard fantasy series or book that attempts to treat warfare in a rigorously coherent and, dare I say it, "realistic" manner? I guess I'm looking for something that treats its combat and warfare the way Tolkien treated his languages, if that makes sense. And not just the military tactics and physical mechanics of fighting, but the entire scope of why and how (economics, logistics, etc.) nations go war. Something that explores the themes and concerns of real-life military history but in a fantasy setting. I realize that this might be completely antithetical to a genre which tends to focus on individual heroics, but I think there is a lot of room to explore a more logical and consistent treatment of warfare in fantasy. Fighting is such a major preoccupation of the genre, after all, at yet so much of it gets hand-waved away or relegated to the background in service of the hero. Maybe it isn't really possible to have true hero's journey while still exploring the intricacies large-scale fake warfare. Or maybe this is an autistic rabbit hole I don't want to go down. But, I'm open to suggestions anyway!

I'll second the Shadow Campaigns. I'm about half way through the first book right now and the battles have impressed me. Nothing on the logistics really but the tactics, strategy, and weapons have been fairly believeable. He also does a good job showing the different quirks and competition between the three combat arms.

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014

Solitair posted:

It sucks that Olde Heuvelt (barely) got the Hugo he's been angling for. I think he's adequate at best and this story wasn't even that. But the Dutch SFF scene acts like he's the messiah so they're never gonna shut up about "the first Dutch Hugo winner".

On the bright side the more international exposure his stuff gets the more it gets slammed, so at least I no longer feel like I'm the only one who thinks it's stupid as poo poo.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I have no idea what the hell Puppies are in this context, or what the big deal with the Hugo awards this year is :psyduck:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The Heuvelt entry is that story about the goon who carried a printer two miles redone with Dutch goldfish.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

So on a scale from 1 to loving dramabomb, how dramabomb were the Hugos this year?

I've kinda avoided most sci-fi blogs with a passion since the Sad Puppies thing started happening. It's been a while.

e: for Stephen King, he's not wrong but scifi whether by virtue of being a thing for shut-in basement dwellers or not being totally accepted by "mainstream" literary types it's always been more a grassroots thing... which is what opened the Hugos to voting fuckery this year. He's not wrong, but eh I like the grassroot-y feeling even with the dark side of nerds taken into account.

The nomination was a shitstorm with a bunch of MRA types (the "Sad Puppies"* and "Rabid Puppies") stuffing the ballots with their own nominees but they lost badly in the actual vote. Apparently everyone behaved at the actual event in Spokane, so I'd give this maybe 0.5 dramabombs.

It all probably goes back to the SFWA trying to pull the reins on some of the more odious of its members and with the election of John Scalzi, a self-declared feminist (I think? Anyway, the MRA crowd HATES him) to the leadership. They are upset that all these bullshit stories about gender and social stuff are crowding out pew-pew stories, the REAL science fiction.

The MRA leadership figure is an editor using the nom de plume Vox Day who is a publicly confirmed misogynist and fundamentalist Christian crazy-man.

* This comes from some kind of ironic take on "these people only care about puppies and little children so we'll mockingly name ourselves 'sad puppies'", I don't get it either.

This is my gist of the whole thing.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 23, 2015

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Lprsti99 posted:

I have no idea what the hell Puppies are in this context, or what the big deal with the Hugo awards this year is :psyduck:

To get considered by the Hugos you have to get nominated. To get nominated people have to vote for you. To vote for a book people have to pay ten buxs/participate in wondercon.

Some schmuck pointed out that the hugos might have a basis and got enough people to consider this to be true. Said Schmuck and group got several things nominated, sometimes getting everything they wanted to dominate a category.

To get an award several authors and people go through the nominees and vote. The board isn't just everyone its select people. One of the things people can do is say "There isn't anything here I consider good" and vote for "NO award".

This year several categories got the No Award vote, some where the schmuck group was dominating and some where they only had a few. People are contesting that the hugos awards were voted by politics rather than content.

Imagine if something awful book forum held an award and then FYAD brigaded it and somehow got a book onto the nomination, and then people voted to not have an award after that.

Megazver posted:

Sounds about right.

Also consider this when thinking about the hugos

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lprsti99 posted:

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/won-science-fictions-hugo-awards-matters/?mbid=social_twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Exmond posted:

Imagine if something awful book forum held an award and then FYAD brigaded it and somehow got a book onto the nomination, and then people voted to not have an award after that.

This is actually a pretty good analogy.

Edit: I can't stress enough that there was a HUGE voting drive on the 2017 site selection in Finnish social media so the voting attendance may have been influenced by that too, since voting for the Hugos came along with the same membership that allowed you to vote in the site ballot. Possibly hundreds of brand new voters through that. You could send your ballot in an email so you didn't need to actually go to Spokane.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 23, 2015