Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

my friend and i just watched "white god" (ie "rise of the planet of the dogs" (or, "homeward bound: extreme edition"))

weird movie

worth watching imo but it's a pretty uncomfortable watch

though not as uncomfortable as "hard to be a god"

i like this thread because i don't watch trailers anymore so it's how i get to hear about things like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
today I watched some seaquest dsv and I'm convinced it's the best scifi show ever made

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Tanith posted:

reading surface detail and I think this might be my favorite culture book, despite being about hell it's made me laugh the most

fotnmc is definitely one of my favorite minds

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Symbolic Butt posted:

today I watched some seaquest dsv and I'm convinced it's the best scifi show ever made

seaquest is amazing in the way it goes progressively off the rails as the seasons continue, ending in a spectacularly bad fourth third season reboot in the future

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 23, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is that before or after they find a stargate underwater and go into space?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

SynthOrange posted:

that reminds me, the live-action "yamato" remake from 2010 is amazingly terrible but in a 1980 flash gordon kind of way, you can tell that everything was meant to be exactly as cheesy and awful as it was because it's a giant homage to something cheesy and awful, and it's kind of entertaining in its own trainwreck way if you know the source material at all (although i suspect i'm one of maybe four people here old enough to have watched "star blazers" at all)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
memory is hazy. there's only three seasons, that's the end of the second

the third is the crazy gritty reboot

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I'm confused, people actually think The Three Body Problem is a good book?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Heresiarch posted:

that reminds me, the live-action "yamato" remake from 2010 is amazingly terrible but in a 1980 flash gordon kind of way, you can tell that everything was meant to be exactly as cheesy and awful as it was because it's a giant homage to something cheesy and awful, and it's kind of entertaining in its own trainwreck way if you know the source material at all (although i suspect i'm one of maybe four people here old enough to have watched "star blazers" at all)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPIR_S1Zrcc

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

haha what the hell

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

IainMBanks posted:

Yes. But it was a scathing review of Culture ship-naming policy delivered by another Involved civilisation. They suggested that such enormously powerful and intellectually refined entities ought to have names with a little more gravitas, to reflect their near-god-like status; the immediate and sustained reaction of one of the Culture's ship manufacturies was to name all its subsequent vessels things like: Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out; Gravitas, What Gravitas?; Gravitas... Gravitas... No, Don't Help Me, I'll Get It In A Moment; Gravitas Free Zone; Low Gravitas Warning Signal, etc etc (including the Zen-like Absolutely No You-No-What). I am so sad I have a separate list of the Gravitas ships at home. It currently runs to about 20, I think.

lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Heresiarch posted:

i never watched star blazers, but because i'm such a slobbering fanboy for space opera, i sought out and watched the original space battleship yamato with subtitles

so yeah i totally got the live-action yamato movie, especially how it basically combines the original series and second movie/series' plots together

the yamato 2199 series that came out a year or two ago is completely awesome though. basically my only complaint with it is it stuck all the women in skintight boobsuit costumes that were so ridiculously exploitative that even gene roddenberry probably would have flinched. everything else is basically the best possible remake.

SynthOrange posted:

if i remember right, the premise of the season 2 finale was that the space aliens that seaquest had talked to previously were all "hey we've got some dudes attacking us underwater and we dont have submarine technology, pls help" and they actually got transported via ship or something. it was terrible just like all of the rest of season 2.

yeah most of first season seaQuest is actually pretty good. in a certain way it does star trek TNG better than TNG - they really try to eschew violence (or at least, lethal force) in favor of other solutions. towards the end there's a couple of stinkers that foreshadow the really lovely gimmick writing that would constitute the bulk of the rest of the series - the aforementioned alien contact episode, and the season finale where an underwater tidal power plant somehow manages to rip open a gigantic fissure in the earth's crust (exposing the mantle and starting to cook the ocean) and somehow the solution is to dive seaQuest into the fissure and then detonate all its nuclear warheads.

some people on the internet try to claim that seaquest was just getting good again when it got canceled, but they're just slobbering michael ironside fanboys. the season was still riddled with insane bullshit (like the sub's fusion reactor somehow being capable of creating a black hole?!) and the season 3 finale was really grotesquely orientalist. it's almost certainly a good thing the show got canceled when it did.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

they're just slobbering michael ironside fanboys.
well hell, who wouldn't be?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
alls i remember about seaquest is that it was probably my first SYFY, i have a friend who is still somehow obsessed with it and goes by LT BRODY SQ as his 'internet handle', there was a dolphin named darwin who could speak and in one of the seasons they made a dolphin shaped sub that was also a stealth fighter piloted by the teen heartthrob from sidekicks who hung himself, or some bullshit like that

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
i downloaded the whole thing a year ago or so, watched the first 3? episodes and decided that my 10 year old self should have just read more books

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
hugos just got awarded. the mra/gamergater effort to stuff the ballot box failed completely - all the awards went to non-"puppy" candidates, all of whom finished below No Award in the voting (in the cases where the wingnuts managed to control all five slots on the ballot, the entire category was voted No Award).

best novel: cixin liu, three body problem

full list of results here

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

FMguru posted:

hugos just got awarded. the mra/gamergater effort to stuff the ballot box failed completely - all the awards went to non-"puppy" candidates, all of whom finished below No Award in the voting (in the cases where the wingnuts managed to control all five slots on the ballot, the entire category was voted No Award).

best novel: cixin liu, three body problem

full list of results here

cool

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

i was just about to come in and say that the hugo results are glorious and there is going to be so much impotent rage about it

stross posted the novellas voting breakdown and it is loving brutal

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/635330705275375616

and both the editor awards, the ones vox day was nominated for, also came back "no award"

Heresiarch fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 23, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

vOv posted:

haha what the hell

aniime is art

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

trap sprung bithc

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Heresiarch posted:

i was just about to come in and say that the hugo results are glorious and there is going to be so much impotent rage about it

stross posted the novellas voting breakdown and it is loving brutal

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/635330705275375616

and both the editor awards, the ones vox day was nominated for, also came back "no award"

the full PDF is here: http://www.thehugoawards.org/content/pdf/2015HugoStatistics.pdf

nominees start on page 18, you can speculate who would've won if the puppies hadn't interfered

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FMguru posted:

wait what

why was there a ballotstuffing attempt

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

wait what

because modern sf/fantasy is too full of women, minorities, and liberals

i'm not kidding, sadly. google the hugo awards, there's been piles of stuff written about this year's bullshit

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

wait what

semi serious answer, the MRA's got all butthurt that the hugo's had been trying to include women, minorities and books that werent fascist/sexist so they had a GAMERGATE-esqe thing going on where they tried to get nothing but books that they supported up for nomination

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

and now the guys who stuffed the nomination ballot are all crying that they're being suppressed because the general vote chose "no award" in the categories where they had all the nominees

they're claiming it as a victory because it shows how nobody wanted to vote for them for political reasons, therefore the hugos are politically influenced, blah blah blah it's loving hysterical

taking your ball and going home is a perfectly valid choice when somebody has poo poo all over the basketball court

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

it's great. no awarding the puppies is exactly as legal as stuffing the nomination ballot

can't take a technically valid response to being a bunch of fuckers, maybe don't try a technically valid way to be a bunch of fuckers

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Hahaha, no award in novellas. eat poo poo, puppies!

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
why are they called puppies?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
it's an abbreviated name for their group that attempted the ballot stuffing that sort of worked last year because everyone was in shock

quote:

Top prizes recognized a generation of younger, more diverse writers, with names like Ann Leckie, Kameron Hurley, and John Chu, and fans celebrated what appeared to be enriched levels of awareness/receptivity in the air. But then things took a distinctly Gamergate-tinged turn. Authors Brad R. Torgersen and Larry Correia re-upped a campaign called Sad Puppies (originally “Sad Puppies Think of the Children,” an ironic send-up of liberal bleeding hearts) that had achieved modest success in 2014, elevating a few ordained works to that year’s Hugo longlist.*

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

the hugos also enlisted dr. kjell lindgren to announce the best novel winner from the space station:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Someone tweeted congrats to John C Wright on becoming a five-time Hugo Award loser in a single day and that's hilarious.

you know your movement is maybe not starting from a place of honesty when the LEAST objectionable of your leaders is saying they don't want literary works to win the literary awards (Torgerson)

edit; the other two were a lunatic far-right reactionary (Wright) and a literal-actual-no-hyperbole-no-poo poo fascist (Beale).

Pierson fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 23, 2015

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Pierson posted:

Someone tweeted congrats to John C Reilly on becoming a five-time Hugo Award loser in a single day and that's hilarious.

you know your movement is maybe not starting from a place of honesty when the LEAST objectionable of your leaders is saying they don't want literary works to win the literary awards (Torgerson)

edit; the other two were a lunatic far-right reactionary (Reilly) and a literal-actual-no-hyperbole-no-poo poo fascist (Beale).

surely you mean john c wright

you scared me for a second there; i thought that an actor whose work i enjoyed was actually an rear end in a top hat. still makes me sad when i think of adam baldwin

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i love explaining the presence of vox day to people

'he's a misogynist white supremacist... no, I mean it, it's not hyperbole. he thinks black people are savages and women shouldn't vote'

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
ya the hugos were hilarious this year

on paper they're awarded by fan votes but they've been controlled by the same group for what 10 years now or more? this brain trust thinks they're helping preserve a bright future for sci fi by handing awards to the print version of tumblr fanfic, despite the fact that petabytes of that garbage are being churned out every day online for free

on the other side you have some genre authors who produce a different type of garbage but their work is demonstrably popular with fans as their sales prove, they feel they've been deliberately excluded from the awards for political reasons (obviously true) so they form a voting bloc completely within the rules to try and win a couple awards

just like gamergate the self-appointed gatekeepers lost their loving minds and decided to burn the whole thing to the ground instead of letting the outsiders win a single award, to the horror of GRRM and other nice old guys who think the Hugos were good ambassadors for sci fi (they were) and should have been saved instead

the result is the commercially successful outsiders go home without any awards, the winners with the right politics get lots of press and pats on the back before going back to being commercial non-entities (see Caitlyn Jenners new TV show that no one's watching), while the awards themselves lose even more prestige as they're revealed to be nothing more than a political pissing match to the huge number of regular sci fi readers who might actually use the hugos to inform their purchasing decisions

the whole thing owns and was 100% completely predictable, someone should have set up a book in vegas

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
that's an impressive apologia for MRAs

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Internaut! posted:

ya the hugos were hilarious this year

on paper they're awarded by fan votes but they've been controlled by the same group for what 10 years now or more? this brain trust thinks they're helping preserve a bright future for sci fi by handing awards to the print version of tumblr fanfic, despite the fact that petabytes of that garbage are being churned out every day online for free

on the other side you have some genre authors who produce a different type of garbage but their work is demonstrably popular with fans as their sales prove, they feel they've been deliberately excluded from the awards for political reasons (obviously true) so they form a voting bloc completely within the rules to try and win a couple awards

just like gamergate the self-appointed gatekeepers lost their loving minds and decided to burn the whole thing to the ground instead of letting the outsiders win a single award, to the horror of GRRM and other nice old guys who think the Hugos were good ambassadors for sci fi (they were) and should have been saved instead

the result is the commercially successful outsiders go home without any awards, the winners with the right politics get lots of press and pats on the back before going back to being commercial non-entities (see Caitlyn Jenners new TV show that no one's watching), while the awards themselves lose even more prestige as they're revealed to be nothing more than a political pissing match to the huge number of regular sci fi readers who might actually use the hugos to inform their purchasing decisions

the whole thing owns and was 100% completely predictable, someone should have set up a book in vegas

source you are quotes

like any movement supported by a fucker like vox day should really make you think

vOv fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 23, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vOv posted:

source you are quotes

like any movement supported by a fucker like vox day should really make you think

no, that's internaut!, he genuinely believes that.

give him a few more minutes, he'll start calling everybody sjw tumblrina troons without a hint of irony

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

at best his post makes a good point for why the hugos are not now and have probably never been a good reference to guide your sci-fi purchases

otherwise political infighting over the mechanics of a literary award are fairly banal really, at best it's interesting to see who outs themselves as a huge shithead

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
oh ya another thing the hugos do is publicly release all their voting data which this year is hilarious, it's up on google docs if you care but tldr:

infernal machines posted:

the hugos are not now and have probably never been a good reference to guide your sci-fi purchases

it's a shame because sci fi amongst all literature really benefits from new developments in science

if you don't like sci fi you can happily spend the rest of your life reading Harold Bloom recommendations

http://www.openculture.com/2014/01/harold-bloom-creates-a-massive-list-of-works-in-the-western-canon.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
thanks for grossly enlarging your picture so i can enjoy the jpeg artifacts on text

• Locked thread