Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

Ah yes, lovely systems like "use proper timing and reflex to escape" as opposed to the much better system of "loving MASH AS HARD AS YOU CAN EVERY TIME BECAUSE WE DON'T GIVE YOU ANY INDICATION IF YOURE DOING IT WELL ENOUGH"

Not that the button mashing is superior but the kickout system is kinda hard to catch on at first.

Granted it didn't help that 2k14 is poo poo at introducing you to its mechanics. You can go to a tutorial via the pause menu but they really should have had you learn the basics right off. (Can't speak for 2k15.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I think both of the systems suck (and I'm honestly not sure how to do this well in a wrestling game at this point), but it's cool when they give you the option to pick which one you want to use. I honestly prefer the mashing to the dumb slider that plays like old NES golf videogames, but the mashing makes it harder to do pin reversals and stuff like that.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Hopefully Austins ring style is called Mechanic until he breaks his neck then it's Brawler

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Not that the button mashing is superior but the kickout system is kinda hard to catch on at first.

Granted it didn't help that 2k14 is poo poo at introducing you to its mechanics. You can go to a tutorial via the pause menu but they really should have had you learn the basics right off. (Can't speak for 2k15.)

It's a bar that fills up as you hold a button, with a big red "STOP HERE" zone. The only way that can at all be hard to catch on at first is if you've literally never played a videogame before, or gone to a county fair.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wouldn't mind a Test Your Might style kickout system. It's button mashing but there's a purpose to it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

It's easy to catch on to. It still sucks and is no fun.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
You know what? I loving hate button mashing in all its incarnations to an unhealthy degree but I'd be totally fine if you had the bar or something like it for kicking out of regular pins and the mash segment was relegated only to kicking out of pins after the other guy hits his finisher.

Tato posted:

It's easy to catch on to. It still sucks and is no fun.
Neither is button mashing, what's your point?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Yeah, I think that would work. It's really hard to figure out what works best and can simulate both the idea of regular pins and reversal chains that occur during a match and pins that occur after a guy has had the hell beaten out of him and taken a finisher. The sliding bar makes more sense as a player when you have wrestlers who aren't too damaged and are trying to put each other into holds and reverse them. The button mashing makes more sense when a guy is tired as hell and just been hit with a devastating move and has to summon all the strength he has left just to get a shoulder up. A dynamic switching between kickout systems might be a cool idea.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Archbishop Karaoke posted:

I just want this to mean a WMC TV5 arena for Memphis wrestling and Center Stage in Atlanta for WCW Saturday Night are in the game.

Yeah, same. I really hope it's a deal were you get the somewhat censored look at Steve Austin, professional wrestler. Before he was the Rattlesnake, before Austin 3:16, before Ringmaster, before the Superstar, before Hollywood Blondes, before Stunning, there was a young hot shot guy named Steve who simply wanted a gig at being a pro wrestler in Texas and it took him all the way to the top as Stone Cold. Not just the WWE story. A WWE documentary in video game form.

That's what I want.

Instead we're going to get none of that. First match will probably end up being King of the Ring, last match some against the Rock bullshit.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
But only if they include a loving indicator for how close you are to escaping this time.

Skunkrocker posted:

Yeah, same. I really hope it's a deal were you get the somewhat censored look at Steve Austin, professional wrestler. Before he was the Rattlesnake, before Austin 3:16, before Ringmaster, before the Superstar, before Hollywood Blondes, before Stunning, there was a young hot shot guy named Steve who simply wanted a gig at being a pro wrestler in Texas and it took him all the way to the top as Stone Cold. Not just the WWE story. A WWE documentary in video game form.

That's what I want.

Instead we're going to get none of that. First match will probably end up being King of the Ring, last match some against the Rock bullshit.

I don't even know why you'd begin to think this.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I always hated the sliding bar because the CPU tried to pin me so infrequently that I could never remember the timing, and you only get one shot to get it right most of the time before the three count.

I feel like there was one of the WWE games with both mechanisms combined together, where mashing raised up the bar slowly but it maintained that height for the rest of the pinfall & holding a button raised it faster but it dropped back to where you'd left off mashing if you missed; if you could mash it fast enough to get it in the zone you would kick out, but usually you would mash it to get it close enough to have several chances to time the sliding portion.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

I don't even know why you'd begin to think this.

Which part? The wishful thinking part or the part where WWE won't let 2K/Yukes do interesting storylines?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

oldskool posted:

I feel like there was one of the WWE games with both mechanisms combined together, where mashing raised up the bar slowly but it maintained that height for the rest of the pinfall & holding a button raised it faster but it dropped back to where you'd left off mashing if you missed; if you could mash it fast enough to get it in the zone you would kick out, but usually you would mash it to get it close enough to have several chances to time the sliding portion.

I think 2006 did this, which was the last one on the PS2. I much preferred this because it gave you both options and you could mash/hold as necessary to get the bar where you wanted it. 2006 is still pretty drat good and has a lot of match types and features they still haven't brought back. Leveling up your CAWs totally sucked in that game though.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Skunkrocker posted:

Which part? The wishful thinking part or the part where WWE won't let 2K/Yukes do interesting storylines?

The latter, especially since they've already confirmed Stunning Steve Austin is in the game and the part where WWE is pretty hands off with regards to what Yukes can put in their games.

Tato posted:

I think 2006 did this, which was the last one on the PS2.

I think this is the second time someone's said this, and it's completely and utterly wrong. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_SmackDown_vs._Raw_2011

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 23, 2015

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I kinda liked the opposed mashing system in All-Stars where the guy getting pinned mashed to fill the bar that the guy pinning was mashing to extend.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Clearly the only solution is to turn the pinfall system into a card game

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Button mashing is the worst garbage and no one should encourage developers to put more of it into games

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

"last match some against the rock bullshit"

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

There's no way that Austin's last match would be the last match in a mode following his career, come on

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
If nothing else it hopefully means we'll be getting Jake for this one built into the game. Unless they plan to gloss over the whole 3:16 thing.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

There's no way that Austin's last match would be the last match in a mode following his career, come on

So I looked this up; apparently his last match was against The Rock. So I kinda feel stupid saying that now. I was certain he had another match after Mania 19, but I was wrong. That was his retirement match. Kinda shocked, actually.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Skunkrocker posted:

So I looked this up; apparently his last match was against The Rock. So I kinda feel stupid saying that now. I was certain he had another match after Mania 19, but I was wrong. That was his retirement match. Kinda shocked, actually.

It's really weird that you praise the 2k games up and down, and the one time you choose to criticize them you make a bunch of untrue statements.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
give me a documentary in game form b/c i need to learn about this wrestler before I speak dumb poo poo

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I want to play the game that includes Stone Cold Steve Austin dialog trees.

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually

Lady Naga posted:

The latter, especially since they've already confirmed Stunning Steve Austin is in the game and the part where WWE is pretty hands off with regards to what Yukes can put in their games.

Silly question but when was Stunning Steve confirmed, because if thats true that means we are almost sure to get Savio Vega.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Give me a Fantasy mode, where he comes out to open Wrestlemania 2014 and kicks rear end. You press X to Stunner Hogan when you hear the word "Silverdome".

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Shima Honnou posted:

If nothing else it hopefully means we'll be getting Jake for this one built into the game. Unless they plan to gloss over the whole 3:16 thing.

They'll just plug in Stevie Richards.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

MotU posted:

give me a documentary in game form b/c i need to learn about this wrestler before I speak dumb poo poo

Yeah, you know what, you're right. His final match was in 2003. How many appearances has he had since then? I didn't know he had a retirement match. 2003 was a weird time period for me, so I had no idea, and assumed naturally that he had kept wrestling a bit longer. Especially with guys like DDP and such coming back, ya know, I wouldn't have been surprised at all to find out his last match was against Batista or Randy Orton or John Cena or someone; I know he didn't wrestle Punk, and honestly that's all I really knew. So I made an assumption and I was wrong and I admit that.

So what the gently caress is your problem?

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

Skunkrocker posted:

Yeah, you know what, you're right. His final match was in 2003. How many appearances has he had since then? I didn't know he had a retirement match. 2003 was a weird time period for me, so I had no idea, and assumed naturally that he had kept wrestling a bit longer. Especially with guys like DDP and such coming back, ya know, I wouldn't have been surprised at all to find out his last match was against Batista or Randy Orton or John Cena or someone; I know he didn't wrestle Punk, and honestly that's all I really knew. So I made an assumption and I was wrong and I admit that.

are you okay

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Genericide posted:

are you okay

Skunkrocker is very easily agitated and starts swinging when he's questioned, it's kind of sad really.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Skunkrocker posted:

2003 was also a weird time for me; luckily, I have had 12 years to find out what happened in that time period

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

goldmine this page of the thread

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I stopped watching WWE when the WCW Invasion fizzled out and even I know that Austin/Rock was the last time he worked a match. Because I have access to the internet to look up simple facts.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It doesn't really matter what Austin's last match was because he's being called out of retirement to defeat the fuckin Terminator

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The last parts of the mode should be Rock match, GM Austin ATV mini game, telling Vince to gently caress off when he wants you to job to Jonathan Coachman (QTE!) and then an Austin hocks Draft Kings mini game.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

does the part where I have to catch Steveweisers tossed into the ring require a sliding bar, button mashing, or QTE prompts?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Nut Bunnies posted:

The last parts of the mode should be Rock match, GM Austin ATV mini game, telling Vince to gently caress off when he wants you to job to Jonathan Coachman (QTE!) and then an Austin hocks Draft Kings mini game.

too bad nothing is ever brought up again from that domestic abuse minigame in the 2002 section

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Basic Chunnel posted:

It doesn't really matter what Austin's last match was because he's being called out of retirement to defeat the fuckin Terminator

This would the best ending to a story mode, The Terminator kills everyone in the game, GLASS SHATTERS, KICK WHAM STUNNER, the Terminator Scott Hall sells himself into the molten lava

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Nobody took the stunner better than The Rock though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

1st AD posted:

Nobody took the stunner better than The Rock though

Except for Shane O'Mac.