Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I've never not had Zidane win. he's just too cool not to. plus, while Freya has been training, it's not like Zidane is a slouch in a fight, and he's quick, which seems to matter more in a festival of this nature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

morallyobjected posted:

I've never not had Zidane win. he's just too cool not to. plus, while Freya has been training, it's not like Zidane is a slouch in a fight, and he's quick, which seems to matter more in a festival of this nature

I just like the idea of Zidane running in to save the kids trying to be a big goddamn hero and Freya just lands on the thing from a rooftop and murders it, stealing his kill and his thunder. The game takes the wind out of his threatrics multiple times, from Garnet giving him the slip in the castle to Baku sucker punching him after their big "fight", to him getting his girls confused and messing up with Garnet.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Some countries have running of the Bulls, Lindblum has running of the killer wolves, killer squirrels and killer giant boar monsters.

Must be a fun place to live.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

When you think about it, a squirrel the size of a St. Bernard would be terrifying.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
If you synth weapons for Zidane before this, you can one-shot pretty much everything in the event outside of the boss. Saves you a couple seconds.

And I have definitely had other people in the lead besides Zidane and Freya when getting into the Zaghnol fight. Which means you basically need to steal all his goodies, wear him down, get Zidane killed, and let Freya finish him off within the time limit to get a good prize. Can be hectic.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Poor Zidane, guy just can't catch a break

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I had Zidane win, because I couldn't resist killing the Zaghnol. I had no idea that Zidane would have to be KO'd to allow Freya to win. I figured Zidane would be the heaviest hitter in my party, so he might as well be the coolest as well. I also had no knowledge of the Wrist thing and gil sounded nice.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm like 75% positive my Zidane was still alive when Freya killed Zaghnol on my last playthrough.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I beat the monster with Zidane because I simply didn't know there was really an option to not do that. My playthrough of FFIX in general was extremely sub-optimal. I didn't even know enemies had multiple items to steal until I was more than halfway through.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
You don't NEED to kill Zidane to kill the boss with Freya. But I'll be damned if it's not harder to kill the fucker without him and having Freya go Solo with it. Also, a little mention on the forks since we've seen one. For the most part, they are pretty much straight upgrades over each other, barring an added status here and there. They ALL contain the same ability and they ALL go to a character who is loving ANNOYING to get actual combat abilities for. But I'll talk more about THAT character when we get to them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'd like to point out, if it hasn't been already, that you notice how people's class skills also appear in cutscenes, right? Vivi being able to blow stuff up with fireballs is a big thing. Zidane's an agile thief who bops around. And Freya is able to leap to the tops of buildings easily, she does it a bunch during this fight alone.

I like that.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Speedball posted:

I'd like to point out, if it hasn't been already, that you notice how people's class skills also appear in cutscenes, right? Vivi being able to blow stuff up with fireballs is a big thing. Zidane's an agile thief who bops around. And Freya is able to leap to the tops of buildings easily, she does it a bunch during this fight alone.

I like that.

This is what I feel Final Fantasy loses with the "everyone can do everything" skill systems in some of the games.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

MarquiseMindfang posted:

This is what I feel Final Fantasy loses with the "everyone can do everything" skill systems in some of the games.

Or shows things that you'll never get to utilize outside of cutscenes (aka: In a battle). That always annoys me. Like FF12's license board (Which was just stupid in general) and FF13 (Barring character specific abilities, though I will admit you get characters who learn different things despite being able to be any class in the game)

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
This is one of the scenes which just shows how awesome Steiner can be.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
If memory serves, if you have Zidane completely avoid Zaghnol, I think the game rigs it so Freya defeats him off screen with about 30 seconds to go (which is why she WILL win if you don't rig it otherwise). I don't suppose anyone else remembers something similar?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Having never played the game, I can see why so many say it is their favorite FF game.

The characters are just so charming and likeable.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I always wondered why this wolf went over to him like it was his buddy.

I never noticed Dagger's reaction to that before. :allears:

I have to say that Lindblum's Festival of the Hunt seems a bit too endangering to the townspeople. Even if this is just a Mu that probably won't do more than flick a rock at him.

Another neat thing I missed. Though, I was generally focused on killing monsters, so I never thought to talk to most people.

Bguy32 posted:

Having never played the game, I can see why so many say it is their favorite FF game.

Yeah, this game is very good at making amazing characters, whether they're minor or major.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 23, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Bguy32 posted:

It's probably the most underrated title in the main series, and whenever you bring it up nowadays the only thing you usually hear is complaints about the combat speed. Which is fair, but sometimes it seems like it's literally the only thing people remember about it.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Two things I loved: One is that I almost shot Rockstar out of my nose with the Zaghnol-bullet-gif. Secondly, I love that the Zaghnol's Heave and Zidane's animation are so well synced. FFIX has such incredible animation work.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Mega64 posted:

Ha ha ha! What power!
Hey, make him stop! It's too early to let him loose!
How? I have no control over him.
Dammit!

The unnamed breeder is definitely one of my favorite NPCs in this game. He's just so proud of this incredible monstrosity he's managed to raise, you just know he's cheering for it to gore some fools while everyone else is complaining about the death toll.

Anyway, it's fascinating to me that for how many times I've played this game, there's always something new for me to discover. I've never noticed Garnet's irritated animation before when Zidane offers to hook Vivi up, and I had no idea you could talk to the aircab guys to get their opinions on whoever was winning. Neat stuff.

Freya does win by default, as some people have guessed/supposed. Pretty sure she can do it without Zidane dying too, but I tend to let him bite it anyway just to close out the festival a minute or so early. You'll definitely want that Mythril Fork though, so it's still worth participating even if you want Freya to win. A level one run is actually impossible without it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If you arrive at the Business District at a certain time you get to see Vivi being chased by a Fang :3:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rarity posted:

If you arrive at the Business District at a certain time you get to see Vivi being chased by a Fang :3:

I think that's right before the Zaghnol event.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think that's right before the Zaghnol event.

Yeah, and I think Vivi joins you if you save him liike that.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like how many different things can happen here. Usually when you hit the obligatory tournament in a JRPG, it's either main character has to win, or main character gets to final and then mysterious person beats them. But here you get four different ones and if you know what you're doing you can game it.

I know my first playthrough Freya won because I had no idea about Big Z, but since then I always like to let Zidane win, since he's the main character. Yeah, after complaining about that being the usual outcome in that sort of event in an RPG. It's nice to have the choice though, and at least you have to do it well if that's what you want.

I think I rigged it so Vivi won once. Can't remember exactly how though. I think it's mess about, go to Zaghnol near the end when Vivi is in the lead, lose the fight probably.

Also the music rules, but it's Final Fantasy IX, that's a given. It is particularly good though. And the Breeder is a wonderful rear end in a top hat. Game is packed full of likable minor characters.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The crazy monster breeder is so great.

I bet he and the rancor keeper from Return of the Jedi would get along great. ...actually I bet this guy had the same reaction to seeing the Zagnhol die.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Also as a neat little side thing there are a few other noteworthy contestants partaking as well although it's not possible for them to win. For example there's Genero who is the brother of Zenero and Benero, the Tantalus guys you fight during the mock battle against "King Leo" during the play in Alexandria. There's also "The Strange Gourmant" whom we have already met and whose identity is pretty obvious to anyone who has played this game. In addition to those two, there's Lani who isn't anyone we've met but whose written complaint we saw at the inn.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kemix posted:

Or shows things that you'll never get to utilize outside of cutscenes (aka: In a battle). That always annoys me. Like FF12's license board (Which was just stupid in general) and FF13 (Barring character specific abilities, though I will admit you get characters who learn different things despite being able to be any class in the game)

The only cool moment in FF13 was when Snow busted out Diamond Dust in a cutscene.

The ice ramps then remain on the field for the remainder of the chapter, it's pretty neat.

Also agreed on preferring FFs with more rigid job roles. It's part of why I never really stuck onto FF7.

Speedball posted:

Yeah, and I think Vivi joins you if you save him liike that.

No, that would make it possible for all three to lose against the Zaghnol. Vivi's entry is basically a failsafe in case you die against the Zaghnol.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Ah, the Festival of the Hunt. Such a wonderful sequence. :swoon:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

ApplesandOranges posted:

No, that would make it possible for all three to lose against the Zaghnol. Vivi's entry is basically a failsafe in case you die against the Zaghnol.

Actually, you can lose while someone else is in the front header, 'die' and then get jack poo poo for the entire thing :v:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The festival is proof that whatever god Lindblum worships has to be evil.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Does anyone have the dialogue for the non player characters who take the lead. Like Lani and Genero?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Does anyone have the dialogue for the non player characters who take the lead. Like Lani and Genero?

Attendant: "Hey, you're in the lead right now! I think you're gonna win! Good hunting!"

Attendant: "Vivi's leading right now. For such a little guy, he's one heckuva magic user. He looks a little scared out, but he's steadily increasing his score. Good hunting!"

Attendant: "Freya's leading right now. She's a dragon knight from Burmecia. Now, she can fight! Hell, I saw some monsters run away from her. Good hunting!"

Attendant: "Belna's on top right now. He's Lindblum Castle's head chef. He's out there with his knife, chopping away. Good hunting!"

Attendant: "The Strange Gourmand is on top right now. He's a self-styled gourmand who eats anything that moves. The judges can't keep track of his score because he's eating everything he catches. Good hunting!"

Attendant: "Genero's in the lead right now. He's the youngest of three brothers. He's using scissors to fight the beasts. My, how original! Good hunting!"

Attendant: "Ivan's in the lead right now. He's a fisherman who works off the coast of Lindblum. He's hunting with a fishing rod. He claims that he can catch anything with it. Good hunting!"

Attendant: "Lani's leading right now. She's a beauty, they call her the 'Hunter of Love.' I don't know what that means, but I'd sure like to be hunted by her. Good hunting!"

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Attendant: "The Strange Gourmand is on top right now. He's a self-styled gourmand who eats anything that moves. The judges can't keep track of his score because he's eating everything he catches. Good hunting!"

I wish it were possible to make this contestant the victor. :allears:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Guys with magic, knives, lances and other presumably sharp things and then there's this one dude with a fishing rod. It's the little details.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love how there is one playable character who is seen and alluded to multiple times up until their recruitment, and then proceeds to have 1 moment of plot relevance for the entire game.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 24, 2015

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

I had no idea about the attendant quotes. That's great.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I love how there is one playable character who is seen and alluded to multiple times up until their recruitment, and then proceeds to have 1 moment of plot relevance for the entire game.

I love how you could be talking about two different playable characters, and it's only because we've only seen/heard of one of them so far that I know which one you mean.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The best possible outcome.
Wow...I...drat that WAS perfect, holy poo poo Mega that was a beautiful coincidence to have Zidane look cool and yet still Freya wins, that was almost anime-levels of planning.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Attendant: "Hey, you're in the lead right now! I think you're gonna win! Good hunting!"

Attendant: "Vivi's leading right now. For such a little guy, he's one heckuva magic user. He looks a little scared out, but he's steadily increasing his score. Good hunting!"

Attendant: "Freya's leading right now. She's a dragon knight from Burmecia. Now, she can fight! Hell, I saw some monsters run away from her. Good hunting!"

Attendant: "Belna's on top right now. He's Lindblum Castle's head chef. He's out there with his knife, chopping away. Good hunting!"

Attendant: "Genero's in the lead right now. He's the youngest of three brothers. He's using scissors to fight the beasts. My, how original! Good hunting!"

Attendant: "Ivan's in the lead right now. He's a fisherman who works off the coast of Lindblum. He's hunting with a fishing rod. He claims that he can catch anything with it. Good hunting!"

Attendant: "Lani's leading right now. She's a beauty, they call her the 'Hunter of Love.' I don't know what that means, but I'd sure like to be hunted by her. Good hunting!"
...whaaaaaaaa :aaa: wow I had...no idea of the strange gourmand in the contest goddamn. Though Genero kind of makes me wonder who he is, a guy who fights with scissors and is one of three brothers perhaps he's maybe...

naaaaaaah that dude was just one of TWO brothers soooo I dunno :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm going back to read the LP from the start since I just found it not all that long ago.

It wasn't mentioned in the update, but here's a fun fact: if you have your back turned to Alleyway Jack while he approaches you, he will rob you.

He does the same thing if you're facing his direction, though he'll give you a bit of time to react first before mugging you.

• Locked thread