Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Roy posted:

People just associate it with poverty. The reason why some people dislike it is the same reason why white people in general don't wear gang colours or addidas tracksuits.

Outside of Russia you mean.

e:

owns

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

MikeJF posted:

Things like this always seemed confusing to me, just because if they're that expensive (simply due to location), you'd think they could spring for a bit of a refurbish, spruce it up a little.

As it's listed there is a limit on how much you can actually change the building. A lot of listed building in britain crumble and collapse because repairing it without changing the structure somehow is often prohibitively expensive.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Show of hands: how many people think "brutalist" has to do with "brutal"?

"English architects Peter and Alison Smithson coined the term Brutalist or Brutalism. The label was inspired by the French “béton brut” (raw concrete), a phrase used by architectural icon Le Corbusier to describe his favorite building material."

Couldnt you use sealed (with some magic substance) concrete and avoid the water problem? I guess its not "raw" anymore, but whatever.

Soon we'll have "compressed-carbon-filaments-ist" architecture and have a new more pernicious round of asbestos-style lung disease! :toot:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they're stupid the brutal explanation makes a lot more sense/sounds cooler

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If brutalism was just raw concrete, then why is it always done on buildings built on a "dominate and terrorise" style?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
If youre working overwhelmingly in concrete, monolithic designs with simple angular geometries are the easiest and most practical way to do things, is mostly it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

If brutalism was just raw concrete, then why is it always done on buildings built on a "dominate and terrorise" style?

"Brutalist buildings usually incorporate strong geometric angles and are generally made from pre-cast concrete elements that reveal the texture of the wooden forms used in casting."

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Brutalism isn't any worse than any other type of architectural style hth.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FRINGE posted:

"Brutalist buildings usually incorporate strong geometric angles and are generally made from pre-cast concrete elements that reveal the texture of the wooden forms used in casting."

Then where are all the brutalist birdbaths :colbert:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The eyes aren't windows, 3/5.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

:smug:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Gorilla Salad posted:

different style of casting. one involves a permanent detailed two-part mould used for thousands of castings, while the others use wooden moulds built from dimensional lumber and plywood as needed for one specific portion of one specific building. you could deffo make crazy intricate brutalist buildings just like with birdbaths, on the assumption you can make rubber moulds the size of an apartment building or w/e

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Ambrose Burnside posted:

on the assumption you can make rubber moulds the size of an apartment building or w/e
Eventually maybe 3d concrete printing magic will get there as well.

Or Diamond Age will hit and we'll all be living in diamond houses. Naw never mind the weird illuminati debeers family would kill everyone first.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FRINGE posted:

Or Diamond Age will hit and we'll all be living in diamond houses. Naw never mind the weird illuminati debeers family would kill everyone first.

Cubic zirconium houses.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Angela Christine posted:

Cubic zirconium houses.

Literal wack rear end crystal prisons?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

FRINGE posted:

well i mean you can absolutely do really cool things with concrete as it stands, no printer needed, it's just a lot more effort and requires skilled labour that "pour the concrete into the big wood box" doesn't. A rough analogy is comparing rammed earth construction- which overwhelmingly favours brutalist-style designs for the sole reason that ramming the earth is easiest in simple-straight-sided wooden formwork and can be done relatively quickly with pneumatic tamping:

with cob construction, which uses almost the same exact materials but is built up organically without forms, is inherently labour-intensive and difficult to mechanise or expedite, but which is "hella conducive" to working decoration into designs as they're built:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ghosthorse posted:

Thought maybe that was the 401 in Ontario. Welcome to North America's widest/the world's busiest highway!

Marvel at its 18 lanes of traffic!

Gaze in wonder at its seemingly nonsensical design!

Get stuck on it for hours after regular 40+ car pile-ups (available between Windsor and London on a 200km stretch of road hell during the 90's)!

See it with only one car after they begrudgingly closed it only because a giant propane factory exploded!

Be caught in its endless road widening and resurfacing!

But seriously, getting stuck on the 401 heading through or into Toronto for like 2 hours is something almost every Ontario driver gets to experience at least once.

The 401 is the purest form of driving in Ontario

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

Literal wack rear end crystal prisons?
A Glass House maybe? http://www.amazon.com/Glasshouse-Charles-Stross/dp/0441015085

How did they get that perfect glassy-mirror effect? Or is it water? At first I thought it was some kind of polished-something.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

netally posted:

Here's the latest monstrosity from London:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/aug/19/take-a-dip-35-metres-up-in-londons-sky-pool#img-1

OK, it's a cool idea in theory, but having an outdoor pool in the UK is utterly ridiculous. It'll be completely packed about 2 weeks of the year when we actually get summer weather, and abandoned most of the year. The apartment blocks themselves just look ugly, a bit like student accommodation, so you're paying a huge amount just for this novelty pool.
I saw a three-phase development with an outdoor pool in loving OTTAWA. Wish I'd seen it as the first part of the showing so I could have left 20min earlier.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

FRINGE posted:

A Glass House maybe? http://www.amazon.com/Glasshouse-Charles-Stross/dp/0441015085

How did they get that perfect glassy-mirror effect? Or is it water? At first I thought it was some kind of polished-something.

It's a pool.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

A pool? At a dentist's office?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Brutalism can make some really cool structures. It usually looks great when used to make simple, powerful shapes, and often goes very well when mixed with trees and vegetation. The idea is to create an image of power and simplicity, shapes that look clean and unpretentious. The lovely brutalist buildings are the ones where they cant figure out how to incorporate windows and poo poo into the design and they end up with a gigantic wall with no features, or one of those hideous le corbusier style buildings. The worst way to do brutalism is to make it too repetitive. There needs to be shapes that break up the monotony or else it will look soulless. Its like any style really; there is a right way and a wrong way to do brutalism. Sadly, many people choose the wrong way and end up with some really ugly poo poo.

If there is any form of architecture that should be ridiculed and hated by everyone, it is that horrible blobitecture poo poo that the UK seems to like so much.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

challenge for the thread: find a good blob architecture building

i bet there are none

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

i bet there are none
I didnt know that was the name of a thing until now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blobitecture

This one seems ok-ish?

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

i bet there are none

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

loving horrible in real life

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

gender illusionist posted:

I liked it more in real life. It's not as big and imposing as the pictures make out.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

gender illusionist posted:

Yeah, Birmingham isn't the greatest.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Always wanted to walk through an alien marshmallow vomiting a bridge!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

this robot building sucks robot dick

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

The Skeleton King posted:

Brutalism can make some really cool structures. It usually looks great when used to make simple, powerful shapes, and often goes very well when mixed with trees and vegetation. The idea is to create an image of power and simplicity, shapes that look clean and unpretentious. The lovely brutalist buildings are the ones where they cant figure out how to incorporate windows and poo poo into the design and they end up with a gigantic wall with no features, or one of those hideous le corbusier style buildings. The worst way to do brutalism is to make it too repetitive. There needs to be shapes that break up the monotony or else it will look soulless. Its like any style really; there is a right way and a wrong way to do brutalism. Sadly, many people choose the wrong way and end up with some really ugly poo poo.
no, it makes really cool black and white photos on the internet. it makes really unbelievably poo poo buildings in 100% of cases. every single one leaks, every single one is full of mould, every single one has concrete rot, almost all have incompetently designed, maze-like, dingy and human-unfriendly interiors. i'm fairly sure the only people who like them grew up in dreadful clapboard low-rise suburbs and mistakenly regard inept concrete monstrosities as a part of exotic urbanism. either that or they're just meme-spouting parrot cunts like i said. i consider this highly likely as they've all only started vocalising their preference for this one specific demonstrably failed architectural style in the last two years, coincidentally at the same time that everybody else did.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

I'm Crap posted:

it makes really unbelievably poo poo buildings in 100% of cases. every single one leaks, every single one is full of mould, every single one has concrete rot, almost all have incompetently designed, maze-like, dingy and human-unfriendly interiors.

so basically the same as all the classical brick heaps people fawn over like new york bronstones, german mietserkasernen or parisian apartment buildings

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I'm Crap posted:

no, it makes really cool black and white photos on the internet. it makes really unbelievably poo poo buildings in 100% of cases. every single one leaks, every single one is full of mould, every single one has concrete rot, almost all have incompetently designed, maze-like, dingy and human-unfriendly interiors. i'm fairly sure the only people who like them grew up in dreadful clapboard low-rise suburbs and mistakenly regard inept concrete monstrosities as a part of exotic urbanism. either that or they're just meme-spouting parrot cunts like i said. i consider this highly likely as they've all only started vocalising their preference for this one specific demonstrably failed architectural style in the last two years, coincidentally at the same time that everybody else did.

So, what kind of architecture is good?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Alvaro Siza rip-off, imo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Buildings that look good without literally falling apart because of what they are made of, for one

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

I think the super-hippy homes look pretty cool.

http://tcpermaculture.com/site/2013/10/04/an-overview-of-alternative-housing-designs-part-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Michael Caine's place in children of men.

• Locked thread