Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What gun are you going to use in this Call of Duty?
The good one that everyone else uses
Another, different gun
View Results

• Locked thread
Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Javes posted:

Ghosts was an abortion of a CoD. Big, serpentine maps aren't fun. Treyarch seems to have figured out that three lane maps make the most sense for the CoD formula. BO3 incorporated some 3D movement but avoided the staccato boost jump mechanics of AW that forced a lot of the gunfights to occur in the air.

AW was literally designed around verticality, though. It wasn't very good, but they definitely wanted people to have gunfights in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

people who prefer cod ghosts or destiny pvp to this are very possibly mentally ill

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah I like destiny and all but fighting against people who are straight up far better equipped than you for fifty hours until you can do the same and then stomp newbies because the game has no good matchmaking is dumb

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Mill Village posted:

AW was literally designed around verticality, though. It wasn't very good, but they definitely wanted people to have gunfights in the air.

You could tell by how many Dogfight medals they wanted you to have to unlock the associated camo on each gun, it was something ridiculous like 100. I think I've gotten maybe a dozen of those ever.

Is new VSAT the same as BLOPS 2 VSAT?

JetpackJeezus
Jul 27, 2011

Heaven Can Wait

Gordon Shumway posted:

Is new VSAT the same as BLOPS 2 VSAT?

Doesn't last as long and can be shot down/hacked, so not exactly.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Gordon Shumway posted:

You could tell by how many Dogfight medals they wanted you to have to unlock the associated camo on each gun, it was something ridiculous like 100. I think I've gotten maybe a dozen of those ever.

i had always assumed those poopsock camos were to keep people playing until the dlcs were released

it didn't work

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The camo requirements got lowered considerably early on in AW's life. A lot of them were scrapped altogether, like those camos that required Triple Kills.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Downloaded this on PS4 and it is currently unplayable due to lag. Anyone else? Rocket League is working fine.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
the lag seems to be an issue more with matchmaking- the assumption is that with a lower player base you're getting matched up with people that you normally wouldn't encounter. it's ups and downs but luckily the 'this sucks but w/e let's keep playing' games have tapered off (for me, at least) and it's either decent connections or literally unplayable slideshows.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
So betas gonna be available for XB1 on the 26th?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

the lag seems to be an issue more with matchmaking- the assumption is that with a lower player base you're getting matched up with people that you normally wouldn't encounter. it's ups and downs but luckily the 'this sucks but w/e let's keep playing' games have tapered off (for me, at least) and it's either decent connections or literally unplayable slideshows.

I have yet to join a game that I can actually play tonight - I'll have 30-60 ping with jumps to 400+ every 3-4 seconds. Gonna try restarting my router, who knows.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

AndrewP posted:

I have yet to join a game that I can actually play tonight - I'll have 30-60 ping with jumps to 400+ every 3-4 seconds. Gonna try restarting my router, who knows.

try restarting BLOPS that usually fixes it for me

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
So far I'm liking the game, it's already better than ghost and AW. Though Combine is the worst map of the bunch we have this beta.

Also am I the only one finding the M8A2 kind of ridiculous, the burst RoF is insanely high without any recoil, little delay and 3 hit kill at nearly any range. Makes me wonder how a semi auto like the Sheiva can compete against this even with the high caliber attachment.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

AndrewP posted:

Thank God, I thought this was just me. I had a few decent games a couple nights ago but every game I jump into tonight is totally unplayable.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

BobbyBaudoin posted:

So far I'm liking the game, it's already better than ghost and AW. Though Combine is the worst map of the bunch we have this beta.

Also am I the only one finding the M8A2 kind of ridiculous, the burst RoF is insanely high without any recoil, little delay and 3 hit kill at nearly any range. Makes me wonder how a semi auto like the Sheiva can compete against this even with the high caliber attachment.

It can't the burst rifle is better in every way

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Critical posted:

Thank God, I thought this was just me. I had a few decent games a couple nights ago but every game I jump into tonight is totally unplayable.

I was actually play one domination game earlier, but that seems to be over now. Guess I'll try again tomorrow but I would be terrified to buy this game if this is how it runs on my connection.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

AndrewP posted:

I was actually play one domination game earlier, but that seems to be over now. Guess I'll try again tomorrow but I would be terrified to buy this game if this is how it runs on my connection.

I mean, it is beta. I was able to play AW flawlessly on my connection earlier (20Down/5up.) A lot of people are having the same problem so I would bet on a beta bug rather than a problem with connections.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Why is domination of all things the second most popular mode, it's just been 'Huck frags, wear flak jacket: The mode' since 4.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Why is domination of all things the second most popular mode, it's just been 'Huck frags, wear flak jacket: The mode' since 4.

Probably because the matches last longer and since you won't be flanked as often by flipping spawn points its easier for people to get their cool killstreaks going

Also, thermite grenades are hilarious for it

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Yardbomb posted:

because some stupid goon at some time thought/found out that that was the best way to poopsock out points or spawnrapes per minute so it's been the goon mode of choice forever despite being arguably the most boring loving mode

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
What guns would you guys recommend trying out? I maxed the Man 'o War, and have been running extended mags, thermal sight (yuuup), rapid fire, and grip. It's pretty beastly. I've also maxed out the Razorback and M8A7 (the only thing I don't like about it is that it's almost too laser like in it's shooting and is very unforgiving). I wanted to try out the level 37 AR (X-2 i think?) but I heard it got nerfed and didn't spend the unlock token on it, even though I have 13.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
This game looks OK, I'm going to buy it (on the Xbone), thanks for reading.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Love you love your show. Looking forward to seeing you on the battlefield bruv.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I'm enjoying this beta a lot, but it makes me miss the days of CoD on 360 with all the goons I used to play with there. I miss Saggy, Fallin, and Scatterfold, etc :(

It's funny how I'm just using a gun, a launcher, black hats, and UAV + CUAV + crate which is all I ever used to use back then because I'm bad at actually shooting people, so I leave that part to the better players and do a good supporting role!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Going to play this poo poo game on PS4 for a bit, hit me up: Rayst191

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Snipers got buffed. :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfGiPl_FqtQ

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Same. Combine is like nuketown size so it's not surprising that it's the worst. I don't have the M8 yet but I want to try it out; Sheiva isn't that bad with high caliber. I like the first LMG.

I'm streaming again. http://www.twitch.tv/versussa

When does the beta end again?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

versus posted:

When does the beta end again?

Today at some point or another.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Anyone up for playing now with me and toast? Psn hackanslash

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Nigulus Rex posted:

What guns would you guys recommend trying out? I maxed the Man 'o War, and have been running extended mags, thermal sight (yuuup), rapid fire, and grip. It's pretty beastly. I've also maxed out the Razorback and M8A7 (the only thing I don't like about it is that it's almost too laser like in it's shooting and is very unforgiving). I wanted to try out the level 37 AR (X-2 i think?) but I heard it got nerfed and didn't spend the unlock token on it, even though I have 13.

Try out the Vesper it's a pretty fun Uzi-like

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Figured I'd check in as OP and Thread Captain to offer some choice responses

Yardbomb posted:

goons are gay

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

i'm going to put this post on a plaque and mail it to you in your backwards inbred island hellscape after you quit in the first week

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Hackan Slash posted:

Anyone up for playing now with me and toast? Psn hackanslash

I'll be on let me get set up

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Not surprising. Treyarch has a history of caving in to their demands since Black Ops 1.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

Not surprising. Treyarch has a history of caving in to their demands since Black Ops 1.

Will they cave into my demands to nerf high caliber? loving everybody with AR's is using that now.

Edit: Also silencers got hit hard with a damage nerf. Takes forever to kill someone if you're using a silencer now.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 23, 2015

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

JetpackJeezus posted:

Doesn't last as long and can be shot down/hacked, so not exactly.

But it's real time position and direction, right? Not a radar sweep of it like Advanced UAV?

JetpackJeezus
Jul 27, 2011

Heaven Can Wait

Gordon Shumway posted:

But it's real time position and direction, right? Not a radar sweep of it like Advanced UAV?

Yeah, it's real time position/direction.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Fibby Boy posted:

Edit: Also silencers got hit hard with a damage nerf. Takes forever to kill someone if you're using a silencer now.

I was playing with the Weevil for pure comedy in the first place, but then decided it needed to be worse. I dare you to use it silenced after the things I've seen with that heap of poo poo.

wintrrmute
Jul 28, 2002

(Borat voice) "MAH WIFE!"

Duke Chin posted:

because some stupid goon at some time thought/found out that that was the best way to poopsock out points or spawnrapes per minute so it's been the goon mode of choice forever despite being arguably the most boring loving mode

I don't think flak jacket is a requirement, I rarely burn a perk on flak jacket, and I cap points etc. etc. I feel like the last few CODs have lowered explosive / grenade damage. In MW2, sure grenades were redic but nowadays it's not so bad.

I like domination because like others said, it's a little bit more spawn control, and there is an element of strategy / team work beyond "zomg kills" - I also enjoy Hardpoint.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Fibby Boy posted:

Will they cave into my demands to nerf high caliber?

you shut your mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Me and Hackan are still playing if anyone wants to play before the beta ends

PSN:BostonZombie

• Locked thread