Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

[/url]

Sold the klr last night. Goodbye you fucker, now I have a little more shop space for my next victim.

Some kind of BBQ-scooter hybrid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Mcqueen posted:

PS: http://japan.webike.net/ is going to take all my money.
I know the feeling.
http://japan.webike.net/products/20021215.html

http://japan.webike.net/products/44348.html

http://japan.webike.net/products/1902670.html :airquote: SALE!

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 20, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Mcqueen posted:

(*first carbed bike...holy moley)

A carb in itself is a pretty simple thing to wrap your mind around. There are like 3 moving parts, plus magical physics you don't need to worry much about.

They lose me when I have four of them on a rack with linkages and pieces all over the place. Granted, cable throttle EFI isn't much better in that regard.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

A carb in itself is a pretty simple thing to wrap your mind around. There are like 3 moving parts, plus magical physics you don't need to worry much about.

They lose me when I have four of them on a rack with linkages and pieces all over the place. Granted, cable throttle EFI isn't much better in that regard.

ahem...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Mcqueen posted:

I AM AWAITED

Recently purchased ZRX1100 has had seemingly nothing done to it...

Done: Oil, filter, coolant flush, brake pads, brake bleed last weekend.

Working: Removed carbs, researching pod filters and carb breakdown (*first carbed bike...holy moley)

Arrived today: Front tire, fuel line, breather line

To get: Carb soak (where do I get this?) jets and pods.

To research: Jetting, pods, exhaust, replacement seat.

SO MUCH FUN.

PS: http://japan.webike.net/ is going to take all my money.

I have a beat up but serviceable Two Brothers exhaust for a ZRX if you want it. $170 shipped in the Cont US. Cheaper if you come get it in the Bay Area :)

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Z3n posted:

I have a beat up but serviceable Two Brothers exhaust for a ZRX if you want it. $170 shipped in the Cont US. Cheaper if you come get it in the Bay Area :)

Probably take you up on that. Could you pm me a picture?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Posting projects that i'll die before finishing ITT

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ozmiander posted:

At least you've got a boot, maybe two.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Mcqueen posted:

Probably take you up on that. Could you pm me a picture?

Sure, will pull it and send a picture tomorrow night :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

Intake boots seem to be a bit dry and cracked.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Parted ways with a piece of paycheck to turn my drz into a ticket machine.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Ozmiander posted:

OLA?!?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ola posted:

Intake boots seem to be a bit dry and cracked.

I see what you did there.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hah! Somewhere, there is a picture with two cold, naked feet in it.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Not really my bike, but I got to test ride a bunch of bikes today!

Ducati Scrambler
Yamaha MT07
Yamaha MT09 street tracker
BMW R9T
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Triumph Street Triple
Vespa 300
Aprilia Shiver
Aprilia Tuono
Yamaha XV950
Yamaha MT125
Yamaha R3

Conclusion: The scrambler can't do corners, the R1200GS Adventure is big but really nimble, the Street Triple is a really nice bike and the Tuono is a loving MONSTER.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Got the tail tidy on.

Really easy install except Ducati have the dumbest indicator mounting system I've ever seen. No bolts or nuts or anything, it's just a big rubber fitting that you somehow have to squeeze through a much smaller hole. They're Catholics, maybe it's an allusion to the camel and the eye of the needle?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They knew you'd just end up taking that horrible thing off anyway; why waste the metal?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Really easy install except Ducati have the dumbest indicator mounting system I've ever seen. No bolts or nuts or anything, it's just a big rubber fitting that you somehow have to squeeze through a much smaller hole. They're Catholics, maybe it's an allusion to the camel and the eye of the needle?

I thought Catholics didn't like it when things that go in holes had rubber on them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

They knew you'd just end up taking that horrible thing off anyway; why waste the metal?

Plastic. And it's been a bugbear of mine for ages, bike designers have been putting these silly little tails on for a good few years now knowing full well that to be road-legal almost anywhere on Earth they'll have to add a huge lump of plastic off the back. KTM are the very worst offenders at this but all manufacturers do it to a greater or lesser extent.

(The Diavel, despite the entire rest of the back of the bike being an utter loving disaster area, handles this really well with it's combination mudguard and number plate handing off the rear axle)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I unfucked (more) PO things!

gently caress YOU PO

gently caress YOU PO

one fork was filled almost to the top with 15wt oil. the other got whatever was left in his 1l bottle, which wasn't very much.
Dumped the poo poo out. cleaned it all up, and put 5wt in at the proper loving height. It actually rides somewhat decent.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Really easy install except Ducati have the dumbest indicator mounting system I've ever seen. No bolts or nuts or anything, it's just a big rubber fitting that you somehow have to squeeze through a much smaller hole.

Sounds identical to the indicator fastening system Yamaha used on some of their mid-00's designs.

You upgraded from Italian to Italian with some Japanese :laugh:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

Sounds identical to the indicator fastening system Yamaha used on some of their mid-00's designs.

You upgraded from Italian to Italian with some Japanese :laugh:

Apparently some Triumphs have it too. It's not actually a bad idea for a vibe-y bike and also makes them much more crashproof than a fixed stalk but none of this was consoling me as I coaxed it into place with vaseline, surgical forceps, and a nail file (yes, I do have a curiously comprehensive tool kit).

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(The Diavel, despite the entire rest of the back of the bike being an utter loving disaster area, handles this really well with it's combination mudguard and number plate handing off the rear axle)

I really want something like this on my Street Triple, because I'd love a tail tidy but also like the function and legality of a mud guard. :smith:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Apparently some Triumphs have it too. It's not actually a bad idea for a vibe-y bike and also makes them much more crashproof than a fixed stalk but none of this was consoling me as I coaxed it into place with vaseline, surgical forceps, and a nail file (yes, I do have a curiously comprehensive tool kit).

You mean a kill kit. :eng101:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

gently caress YOU PO

Looks like someone had a tool kit comprised of a hammer and vice grips.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

Given how the rest of the bike was assembled? Agreed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What a remarkably enraging image.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Deeters posted:

That's all a real man needs. :colbert:

Sorry for the hilariously lovely photo but I'm trying to un-smush my Monster's face by giving it a traditional M900 headlight.

The LSL and other headlight kits were cool but I feel like the LSL 7" headlights are a bit small for Monsters (the M900 headlight is actually only slightly larger but looks better to me) and the 8" headlights on CSB's bike look too adventure-touring for a street bike that will never see a dirt road. The M900 light I received had a bunch of scratches in the outer ring, so I sanded the ridges down, put in a tiny amount of epoxy, sanded the hell out of it for the better part of a day, then primed and painted silver to match the bare metal color on the bike. The biggest benefit is the headlight assembly is DOT approved as well, so if I move to a state with inspections/piss off the local PD, that's one less thing they can snag me on save for the Termis with "FOR RACE USE ONLY" stamped on the inner part of the bike.

The headlight ring is sort of a last minute "what if" and I'm not sold on it, so in the worst case scenario the sucker goes black. The chrome was cool as hell looking but with the damage to the ring and the obscene price of a new one, I've elected to just keep it painted for now.

Grabbed a few CNC Racing "Bomb" indicators that keep the traditional "motorcycle" look, then found that literally no store in a 50 mile radius has proper waterproof connectors, so I'm waiting on a delivery before wiring the rest in. Also, gotta get a few grommets to space out the headlight properly and keep the vibes down.

Edit: Just noticed that the fork seals are dying, OH JOY. :mad:

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 23, 2015

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I polished my turd. (1994 Suzuki GS500e)

I installed new front springs and a new to me Katana 600 rear shock. Before the anger starts... :argh: The GS500 only has preload adjustment, and has an incredibly soft suspension. This greatly raises the spring rate in the rear, and allows for dampening and preload adjustment.

Did my fork oil a few months ago, so I did it the lazy way and checked the levels. After I adjusted the front sag which took a little.. configuration with spacers.

.85kg Sonic Springs vs the stock springs

Stock shock on the left, used Katana 600 shock on the right

Someone complained the bolt was hard to move, but they obviously didn't have the right motivator :smug:

No riding impressions just yet due to it being over a 100F outside and me sweating like a true goon. :negative: It will have to wait till this evening.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

What a remarkably enraging image.

Gets better. I just ticked over 500mi and its due for babbies first valve check. the flywheel plug to spin the crank is a 10mm allen...it shares a lot in common with the afore mentioned fork cap.

Guess I'll be using the Ducati method (TM) to set the crank.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

cursedshitbox posted:

Gets better. I just ticked over 500mi and its due for babbies first valve check. the flywheel plug to spin the crank is a 10mm allen...it shares a lot in common with the afore mentioned fork cap.

Guess I'll be using the Ducati method (TM) to set the crank.

Either you can dremel a slot in it to get it open, or you can just spin the back wheel (doable, but glhf) until the cam lobes are at 10 and 2.

tdc.jpg

source: I just replaced my DRZ400SM cams with DRZ400E cams. But like Minkee I haven't done more than let the motor idle a bit because it's August and I'm in Texas. It's god drat miserable outside.

Now it has E cams, a FCR39mm, full yoshimura exhaust, K&N air filter, recentish fork service, and a ghetto widened airbox. Doing anything else to this poor motor would basically require a rebuild and KTM money.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 23, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
oh hey you have the old plug head.

I was gonna dremel a slot on it and order whatever blingy ones are on ebay to replace.

You'll like the cams :D

I'm running the stage II hotcams, stroker, slant FCR, E airbox, whatever foam filter it came with, and fmf powercore 4 thats louder than fuuck.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

cursedshitbox posted:

oh hey you have the old plug head.

I was gonna dremel a slot on it and order whatever blingy ones are on ebay to replace.

You'll like the cams :D

I'm running the stage II hotcams, stroker, slant FCR, E airbox, whatever foam filter it came with, and fmf powercore 4 thats louder than fuuck.

Nah, not a picture of my motor. Just some crap off GIS.

I thought about rocking the stage II cams, but I'm just not comfortable running them with stock valves on a motor with 21kmi (also I got these for $180 shipped). So if I get the $300 cams I basically have to spend about that on valves. And while I'm in there why not a 434 kit? poo poo since we're doing that lets just take the rest of the motor into a shop and have them pull the crank/bearingalskdaoihpgoarhpgoarh :smithicide:

e: My foam filter started to flake apart :saddowns:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'd at least throw 1pc valves in it... I went with wisecos, fairly reasonable in price. Amazon had the cams pretty cheap too.

I stuck to a stock bore, a 470 would have barreled more money into an already seemingly bottomless pit.

E: I bought mine with a big hole where the crank used to be...so it was easy to start fresh. :D

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Nice work. I hate those smushed headlights too. Looks like a real bike now.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, ripoff, you really did that bike justice. Has a real space age classic standard look to it now. The slightly bigger light actually helps proportioning with the rest of the bike. I am not sure what you mean about wanting to change the color of the light bezel. Unless it somehow looks awful in person, keep it. In photos, I can see exactly what you mean about it matching to the rest of the brushed metal parts in veiw. I would probably not thought of doing that myself, and definitely wouldn't have wanted that kind of work. The end result looks stock, and 100% better than actual stock.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just paint the bezel black like the frame.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ola posted:

I thought Catholics didn't like it when things that go in holes had rubber on them.
They do like small holes though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

makka-setan posted:

Yamaha MT09 street tracker

Had to look this up. Looks like an uglified (if even possible) Buell SuperTT!

I bet it's selling about as well too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

Had to look this up. Looks like an uglified (if even possible) Buell SuperTT!

I bet it's selling about as well too.

It's a euro variant of the FZ-09, which means it's one of the top selling bikes in Europe.

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/review-2015-yamaha-mt-09-tracer---traces-long-and-strong.htm