Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

chairface posted:

I understand that for practical purposes, TiC is still the weapon mod, but are there any that like... an armory mod I forget the name of try to bring in a similarly diverse group of weapons up to and including firearms? I like minecraft on its own terms well enough and TiC is a mod I really like, but there's something compelling about the idea of having a pump-action shotgun in a game like this. gently caress you, zombies, get off my lawn, click-clack.

The needle gun from MFR is a kinda tech-y feeling weapon.
'
That's what the corrupted scouts use on you :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I have to look through the botania book and see what I can make then. I've never really played with it before, the main thing I want is enough RF to power a storage network.

Make whatever generating flower you can manage (you can scavenge dayblooms, which passively generate power from sunlight, somewhere or other), use one of the pure daisies you've scavenged to make livingrock and livingwood and a mana pool and mana spreader with that, then a Jaded Amaranthus will use small amounts of mana from the pool to make lots of every kind of flower. From there you can do everything!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Magres posted:

Make whatever generating flower you can manage (you can scavenge dayblooms, which passively generate power from sunlight, somewhere or other), use one of the pure daisies you've scavenged to make livingrock and livingwood and a mana pool and mana spreader with that, then a Jaded Amaranthus will use small amounts of mana from the pool to make lots of every kind of flower. From there you can do everything!

Yeah I got one, thankfullky one of the first things I did when I started the pack was dump the dayblooms from the waterfall cave near a spreader and a mana pool so I had half a pool handy for when I decided to start it :) Now it's on to getting a tree farm going and generating mana through charcoal.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Clairetic posted:

'

It's a terrifying sound to hear when out in the taint, particularly when you can't see where they're firing from.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Botania looks tubular but i've never done it before... Is there a book you can craft to get started or something?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Humans Among Us posted:

Botania looks tubular but i've never done it before... Is there a book you can craft to get started or something?

vanilla book + sapling

e: in blightfall you have to find it in the world and then translate it

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Humans Among Us posted:

If you're on Blightfall you have to find the book + translation device or get most of the flowers to get one free.

If you're playing the mod normally it's the Lexica Botania.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Thanks guys ! Yeah i'm starting to get into Blightfall, was a bit skeptic at first but it's growing on me :)

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

Sage Grimm posted:

It's a terrifying sound to hear when out in the taint, particularly when you can't see where they're firing from.

Seriously. My heart hasn't raced like that in ages.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

chairface posted:

I understand that for practical purposes, TiC is still the weapon mod, but are there any that like... an armory mod I forget the name of try to bring in a similarly diverse group of weapons up to and including firearms? I like minecraft on its own terms well enough and TiC is a mod I really like, but there's something compelling about the idea of having a pump-action shotgun in a game like this. gently caress you, zombies, get off my lawn, click-clack.

Flans weapon mod or something?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Man, I completely skipped exploring the obsidian tower because I just flew to the waypoint :v: Later on I went in from the top and got jumped by the tainted hematurge and he got two solid hits off, blasting through my runic shield and dropping me to half a heart. However, in that time I had fumbled out Zap, Motherfucker, and learned that said enemy's attacks were distressingly... melee.

:science:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

How does the Cooking Table work? I assumed that you just put it next to your food chest and use it to make every food you have the ingredients for. That doesn't seem to be the case. For example, my food chest has everything I need to make pizza, but the table doesn't have that listed.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ariong posted:

How does the Cooking Table work? I assumed that you just put it next to your food chest and use it to make every food you have the ingredients for. That doesn't seem to be the case. For example, my food chest has everything I need to make pizza, but the table doesn't have that listed.

It sucks :( Sorry.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ah well. The Tinker's Table and NEI worked before, and they will continue to work.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Man, hammers must get some huge penalty to speed or something -- I used mining speed 10-12 materials but my hammer ended up super slow.

However, thank you to whoever posted the gloves hint -- I dumped all my redstone onto it and it is more than making up for the hammer being slow as all hell.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Does speed from redstone on gloves and redstone on tools combine?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, I give up. Where do I find lead and tin?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Got a question about the start of my automatic orechid thingy.

There's a chain of hoppers underneath each ore, leading to a chest. The idea is that on breaking the ore it falls into the hopper before the lava destroys it. This mostly works, though I have to manually break the ore since I can't make a bore lens yet (I don't think).

One problem, once in a while the lava falls before the water flows into the vacated space, turning the sides around that block into cobble. Then I have to reset the thing by blocking the lava then removing the cobble, then the block. Is there anything I can do about this? A different design maybe?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Got a question about the start of my automatic orechid thingy.

There's a chain of hoppers underneath each ore, leading to a chest. The idea is that on breaking the ore it falls into the hopper before the lava destroys it. This mostly works, though I have to manually break the ore since I can't make a bore lens yet (I don't think).

One problem, once in a while the lava falls before the water flows into the vacated space, turning the sides around that block into cobble. Then I have to reset the thing by blocking the lava then removing the cobble, then the block. Is there anything I can do about this? A different design maybe?

A different design. Use a piston on a timer to continually eject a line of smoothstone from a single accretion point. Put the orechid somewhere along the line.

Here's my setup from a couple of different angles: http://imgur.com/a/vq8QC

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That'll prevent losses to the lava at least, though I can't see how that stops the lava from (once in a long while) flowing downward once the piston retracts before the water flows over, resulting in cobble to the sides until you reset it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Really wish that Xenologist ended up making a discovery using all the scraps of cloth independent of the translations instead of further mission success points. It would have been neat to tie it all together.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Clairetic posted:

'

The two I found use machine guns...

Zebrin posted:

-Edit- By the by, is anyone else having problems with their dawn machines mounted to an airship crashing their games? Because I have that problem. One has power feeding into it, and the other does not, but both cause crashes when I try to move them after the update.

You'll want to post a crash log.

Taffer posted:

Does speed from redstone on gloves and redstone on tools combine?

I think so. I know for sure that redstone on gloves affects your bare-fisted tool speed.

Ariong posted:

It doesn't work right with double chests- it only detects the side that it's next to. Try putting everything you want to make stuff out of in a single chest, that will probably work. It's worth noting that it detects chests on every side of the block, at least. An alternative is to use AE2 for everything.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 23, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

That'll prevent losses to the lava at least, though I can't see how that stops the lava from (once in a long while) flowing downward once the piston retracts before the water flows over, resulting in cobble to the sides until you reset it.

Quoting myself because I tried it, and it just seems that that never actually happens with this setup. This is so much simpler, too. Thanks!

I am so bad at vanilla minecraft, I had forgotten that pistons (and fire charges, for that matter, from upthread) actually DID anything besides be crafting materials. :saddowns:

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Thyrork posted:

FINALLY. Good lord TC had a monopoly on that for far too long.

TE has had one for while I think.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Am I missing something, or are crossbows way, way worse than bows?

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Ariong posted:

Am I missing something, or are crossbows way, way worse than bows?

Faster reload mainly, and the ability to instantly shoot after switching.

They're both cool. I prefer Tinker's Longbows in situations where I can just fly and snipe, but early game I prefer crossbows.

The trick to Longbows is the only modifier that matters is draw speed, so just stack redstone on them. Getting sub .5 second draw speed mainly.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well, that would be the problem. My crossbow has a draw speed of 5.1 seconds. Would stacking redstone on it even help all that much or should I just scrap it?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ariong posted:

Well, that would be the problem. My crossbow has a draw speed of 5.1 seconds. Would stacking redstone on it even help all that much or should I just scrap it?

Build it using heatscar spider string.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Ariong posted:

What are each of the parts made out of?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I made it with the materials I had available. It has a deep iron crossbar, an astral silver body, damascus steel binding, and a spider silk string. I'm using promethium bolts which I accidentally made way way too many of.

30.5 Days posted:

Build it using heatscar spider string.

Can you get that in Blightfall? I should have mentioned that that is where I am.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

All-metal bows and crossbows reload incredibly slowly but that being said I'm not entirely sure which part on a crossbow controls that. I think it's the crossbar? Either way replace that particular part with wood (ideally fusewood) or slime.

Yes, you can get heatscar spider string - one of the results from requesting a mob spawn is a heatscar spider.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

President Ark posted:

All-metal bows and crossbows reload incredibly slowly but that being said I'm not entirely sure which part on a crossbow controls that. I think it's the crossbar? Either way replace that particular part with wood (ideally fusewood) or slime.

Yes, you can get heatscar spider string - one of the results from requesting a mob spawn is a heatscar spider.

Yeah, I'm reasonably sure it's the crossbar- I remember (pre-Blightfall) people tended to use a slime crossbar and a metal body, so I think that'd make sense to be the part to replace with wood or slime.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

When you say "crossbar" are you referring to the Crossbow Limb? Crossbars are used in the making of daggers. I only have so much slime so I don't want to waste any.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
Baaaah, I'm not even sure digging around to get to Tartarite is even worth it in the long run...I'd imagine whatever mod armors I'll be able to make will be better than just pure stats anyways and I haven't had anything utterly destroy me yet.

Maybe I should get off my lazy arse and get a good thaumcraft setup going instead.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ariong posted:

I made it with the materials I had available. It has a deep iron crossbar, an astral silver body, damascus steel binding, and a spider silk string. I'm using promethium bolts which I accidentally made way way too many of.

Can you get that in Blightfall? I should have mentioned that that is where I am.

Yes, if the RNG likes you. You can get heatscar spawn eggs as rewards for some quests or from the "request mob" quest from the supplier.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Ariong posted:

When you say "crossbar" are you referring to the Crossbow Limb? Crossbars are used in the making of daggers. I only have so much slime so I don't want to waste any.

I do! Sorry, my bad, too many terms and they start to get confused.

And yeah, it can take take a bit to track down a Heatscar Spider, but luckily once you find a spawn egg you tend to end up with several dead spiders after the first one splits/explodes. (aka, the only time I was every happy that those spiders are annoying assholes)

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
Is there any trick to hosting a modded server nowdays? Me and a friend are hosting to get OMP Sigma 2 as our multiplayer server, but he cant find the server software for it.

We haven't played in like over a year at least so things may have changed a lot.

EDIT: Alternatively whats the current best adventure and tech recommended multiplayer mod pack? Can we just download a server folder for it and just put it on our server and go from there?

Dotcom656 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 23, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

OmniBeer posted:

Yeah, I'm reasonably sure it's the crossbar- I remember (pre-Blightfall) people tended to use a slime crossbar and a metal body, so I think that'd make sense to be the part to replace with wood or slime.

Yeah, I just did some experimentation. Replacing my Darkwood crossbow limb with steel increased the damage to 14 hearts from 8, crit to 0-8 from 0-5. However, it quadrupled the reload speed. The crossbow body seems to play the same role as bindings do in other tools- the tool's main ability (stonebound, reinforced) comes from that, and it also affects the durability.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

30.5 Days posted:

Yeah, I just did some experimentation. Replacing my Darkwood crossbow limb with steel increased the damage to 14 hearts from 8, crit to 0-8 from 0-5. However, it quadrupled the reload speed. The crossbow body seems to play the same role as bindings do in other tools- the tool's main ability (stonebound, reinforced) comes from that, and it also affects the durability.

That's because it's a higher Arrow Speed. If you can make Signalum, that's the second best crossbow limb you can get. Sanguinite is slightly better once you have a bunch of redstone to stack on it, and the open slots to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

If you have the resources to spare to make a Signalum Crossbow Limb, I'd say go for it. You'll have to bolster the durability with a Flux Cap, but the base arrow speed and draw time are worth it.

Note that this is shown without crossbow bolts in my inventory, damage is 18 hearts with unmodified iron/iron/feather bolts.