Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jenny Angel posted:

Morrigan is a witch who was raised in a bog by a bog witch, I'm willing to forgive her for not having the firmest grasp of politics.

That was actually a fun dynamic in Origins - I was playing a ruthless Human Noble Warden whose decisions were largely based around "What will put me in the best position to become king / give me the strongest support base after I'm king?" and Morrigan kept being sorta naively evil and not realizing how valuable that kind of manipulation can be. She's still herself 10 years later, but she has matured a lot.

I don't think that works too well because Flemeth seems to comprehend "being nice to people so that they'll do something you want later on".

She also understands how to ham everything up gloriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Geostomp posted:

To be fair, Morrigan knows how bad she is at politics and has no real interest in the court beyond the fact that the empress can provide protection for her and Kieran during the dangerous times for witch and child mage. Doesn't excuse her inability to keep the court from at least completely despising her. There's a difference between not caring about politics and actively alienating everyone around you that Morrigan doesn't seem to grasp.
Yeah, and I don't want to poo poo on Morrigan since she's a great character. She and Vivienne are just different sides of the same coin - Vivienne has more allies and political power because of her diplomacy and thus presents the best opportunity for social change, but Morrigan gets more significant magical poo poo done because she takes more risks.

Vivienne gets to be MagePope, Morrigan makes a Godbaby. S'all good.

That being said, Morrigan is a bit conflicting to me as a character because the fact of her having a Godbaby in Origins is a choice. IMO, the presence of Kieran in DAI renders the context of her actions drastically different than if she's on her own. Mama Morrigan is an awesome character, it's a great arc, the selfish, lonely power-hungry mage who realizes that caring for a child changes her priorities. She's still interested and devoted to preserving and studying magic, but she's got some perspective, and she's able to confront her own upbringing (she was raised for the express purpose of giving power to Flemeth) and break that cycle for her child.

I played with Solitary Morrigan and her character didn't seem all that defined to me. *shrug*

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So I'm not really sure what is better stats wise on a weapon. I created a staff that was +20% crit chance and +12% crit damage. I just found a staff that has +23 magic and +6 cunning off the hinterlands dragon. Which is better to use as a knight enchanter who never uses the basic attack?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Jose posted:

So I'm not really sure what is better stats wise on a weapon. I created a staff that was +20% crit chance and +12% crit damage. I just found a staff that has +23 magic and +6 cunning off the hinterlands dragon. Which is better to use as a knight enchanter who never uses the basic attack?

You can check your stats in the character record. I would guess that your mage has a real low crit chance anyway so the +magic is what I'd go with, but you can go look at all the stats and see just how much that +23 boosts your damage per shot by.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

eating only apples posted:

You can check your stats in the character record. I would guess that your mage has a real low crit chance anyway so the +magic is what I'd go with, but you can go look at all the stats and see just how much that +23 boosts your damage per shot by.

I've found that unless your fruit damage boost is insanely low, fruit chance is almost always better, as you get more opportunity to hit harder, not hitting harder with low chances.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wasabi the J posted:

I've found that unless your fruit damage boost is insanely low, fruit chance is almost always better, as you get more opportunity to hit harder, not hitting harder with low chances.

That's an amazing instance of autocorrect.

But I agree, crit damage increase needs a certain amount of crit change to really be worth it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I don't really know what +attack affects I suppose. I thought it was just auto-attack and as such would be poo poo as a knight-enchanter always using spirit blade

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Just finished The Descent, then found some cheese, then found out what to do with this. GOTY again?

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

I've got a dumb question about how the War Table rewards work, specifically the information/secrets kind that Leilana specializes in. There's been quite a few times when I've sent Leilana's forces off to grab some intel, prioritizing it over Cullen's military gains, and had the mission report tell me that I gained "valuable information" without actually getting any tangible benefit aside from a random knick-knack.

An example that springs to mind is the one mission where you can use the Grey Warden treaties Blackwall gives you to strongarm people into giving you things, after Haven gets attacked and Josephine is like "yeah there's no way people can say this isn't a Blight now". Josephine wants to use it to extort gold, Leilana wants to use it to gain more intel, and Cullen wants to use it to conscript more forces. I went with Leilana, and the mission report said something along the lines of "There was nothing about the Elder One specifically, but we did dig up the most fascinating treaty..." which implies you got some kind of secret info. However, the actual reward was just some random pommel upgrade. No influence, no further mission unlocks following up on that treaty, nothing. The game just kinda said, "oh man, you dug up some neat info" without anything in the actual mechanics to support that claim.

There's another with those bandit cultists in the Storm Coast (the ones you can make peace with by crafting an amulet to challenge their leader) with similar options. Again, I went with Leilana's info-gathering route, and the report said something like "In gratitude for letting them keep their supplies, they had some choice information to share with us" - but again, the actual reward was just a random pommel with no influence gain or follow-up or anything.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, was the info-gathering route for these missions just the least rewarding option and the game is trying to let me down gently? If so, why is it telling me that I keep getting all this "useful info" I never hear about again nor even get to see?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Cirosan posted:

I've got a dumb question about how the War Table rewards work, specifically the information/secrets kind that Leilana specializes in. There's been quite a few times when I've sent Leilana's forces off to grab some intel, prioritizing it over Cullen's military gains, and had the mission report tell me that I gained "valuable information" without actually getting any tangible benefit aside from a random knick-knack.

An example that springs to mind is the one mission where you can use the Grey Warden treaties Blackwall gives you to strongarm people into giving you things, after Haven gets attacked and Josephine is like "yeah there's no way people can say this isn't a Blight now". Josephine wants to use it to extort gold, Leilana wants to use it to gain more intel, and Cullen wants to use it to conscript more forces. I went with Leilana, and the mission report said something along the lines of "There was nothing about the Elder One specifically, but we did dig up the most fascinating treaty..." which implies you got some kind of secret info. However, the actual reward was just some random pommel upgrade. No influence, no further mission unlocks following up on that treaty, nothing. The game just kinda said, "oh man, you dug up some neat info" without anything in the actual mechanics to support that claim.

There's another with those bandit cultists in the Storm Coast (the ones you can make peace with by crafting an amulet to challenge their leader) with similar options. Again, I went with Leilana's info-gathering route, and the report said something like "In gratitude for letting them keep their supplies, they had some choice information to share with us" - but again, the actual reward was just a random pommel with no influence gain or follow-up or anything.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, was the info-gathering route for these missions just the least rewarding option and the game is trying to let me down gently? If so, why is it telling me that I keep getting all this "useful info" I never hear about again nor even get to see?

Yeah, most War Table missions just get you a trinket or some influence. There are some that will open up other missions if you choose the right advisor, and you can end up with some Amulets of Power or some ok schematics. Nothing great. The multi-part missions do add a little flavor if you care about lore, but that's about it.

Just make sure to talk to Sutherland on the second floor of the tavern. There's a fun little storyline going on there. Talking to Krem will also open up some War Table missions for the Chargers.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can always look up the specific mission on the wiki to see if the other advisors would give better rewards, but for the missions I looked up, the only one to give significantly different rewards was the Einstein riddle one.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

There's a couple times where one advisor grants like an amulet of power and the others don't, like with one of the missions with Cole's friends Leliana gives the amulet.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I don't think the War Table feature was quite as polished as it could've been. I would not be surprised if DA:4 and ME: Andromeda have something similar but less half-assed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Was there supposed to be an amulet of power at teh end of the cold shard doors? There isn't one. I also missed the one in the fade somehow

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nichael posted:

I don't think the War Table feature was quite as polished as it could've been. I would not be surprised if DA:4 and ME: Andromeda have something similar but less half-assed.

That along with much better developed specialization quests and combat improvements are all things I want to see happen if the ideas are to be reused.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Jose posted:

Was there supposed to be an amulet of power at teh end of the cold shard doors? There isn't one. I also missed the one in the fade somehow

People cheesed the gently caress out of those, so Bioware went "nuke them all" and removed I think nearly every amulet in farmable location. Nexus should have a mod to restore them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I hadn't even thought about mods, Its a bit late in the game now I'm level 17 but are there any people recommend? Also maybe I should put the difficulty onto nightmare since I think i'm massively overlevelled. I've still not done the quest involving stopping the assassination of the empress

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hate the War Table and wish it wasn't in the game at all. Or at least not the version we got in DA:I. It's the weakest feature of the game by far.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I hate the War Table and wish it wasn't in the game at all. Or at least not the version we got in DA:I. It's the weakest feature of the game by far.

Agreed. It just feels like a chore after a while. I just started setting my PC's clock forward so I could get the drat things done.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I liked the War Table, but then again, I often like most features that automate some element of the game for you.

Edit: What it could use though if it survives into the next game would be little cinematic interludes and such at the end of longer quest chains, so that it feels more connected to the main story of acquiring power and influence. There's a surprising amount of plot points you can miss and screw up if you don't bother reading the mission text.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 23, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

A chore would be figuring out how to finish a level. The War Table is trying to fit stop and go mobile gaming Skinner box mechanics in a way that's worse than how Ubisoft crammed it into Assassin's Creed. There's no good reason why some jobs should take several real hours of time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't see it that way at all, for me the war table was just a cool little aside to check up on whenever I loaded up Inquisition and made my rounds through Skyhold. It's the people habitually setting their system clocks ahead by 12 hours to gain +5 to herb gathering who probably have more of a gaming problem.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I just kinda wish there had been more things on it that used power. Several hundred Inquisitorial Powers by the end of the game and nothing to spend them on :saddowns:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The War Table sounds good on paper but it was just such a loving hassle to go back and forth, especially since they made the areas so bloated. Just getting to the War Table is a pain in the rear end if you don't save in the right place.

I gotta say, this game made me appreciate Dragon Age 2 more. No muss or fuss, everything is in arms reach and the city actually has people in it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It'd be nice if you could use Power instead of Gold at certain vendors.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

HIJK posted:

I gotta say, this game made me appreciate Dragon Age 2 more. No muss or fuss, everything is in arms reach and the city actually has people in it.

Ouch.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This game made me miss the sarcastic option in every dialogue wheel or just stabbing people in the head with a cold stare while they're walking away

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Jose posted:

This game made me miss the sarcastic option in every dialogue wheel or just stabbing people in the head with a cold stare while they're walking away

On the other hand it did give me the power to make that one shithead minor villain tranquil so

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shugojin posted:

On the other hand it did give me the power to make that one shithead minor villain tranquil so

Judging a certain grand duchess, whether dead or alive, will always remain one of the high points of this game.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 23, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shugojin posted:

i was shocked how upset this made people in the game

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Jose posted:

i was shocked how upset this made people in the game

Let the Empress of Fantasy France get assassinated? Eh, the bitch had it coming. Mind-wipe a cartoonishly evil Fantasy Byzantine with the only punishment that will actually make him be scared or react? HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ONE OF OUR OWN? YOU ARE A MAGE YOURSELF!

And no, gently caress minor villain ratty hair, He stays Tranquil. The cure is for mages that could probably do some good or were unjustly punished. Minor Villain liked blood sacrificing people and is one of the best examples of why some people should never have magic at all. At least as a tranquil he could do menial labor or at least scare the Venatori into showing what happens when I take them alive. :black101:

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 23, 2015

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
And Tranquiling as a punishment really loses its oomph after Cass's personal quest. "Eh, gently caress it, I can always reverse it later."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Well, it loses some of it's oomph, but it's still la pretty horrid punishment, and even if it is reversible nothing says you have to reverse it. Or that the reversal process restores you to 100% the person you were, and even if it did that's still only a partial help to the tranquil who've would have lost years for their life to it.

So yeah, only some of the oomph.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I honestly wish there were like twice as many judgments, each one was interesting in some way and the throne gets so little use as it is. Like, throw some bandit leaders in there or something minor, just let me have more fun with it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Wolfsheim posted:

I honestly wish there were like twice as many judgments, each one was interesting in some way and the throne gets so little use as it is. Like, throw some bandit leaders in there or something minor, just let me have more fun with it.

at least there was a use for the throne. there was basically zero reason to ever go to your quarters throughout the whole game

at least put like a send/receive letters option there

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It would have been nice if some of the War Room operations could lead to a Judgment. Like, there's whole quest chains like the one with the noblewoman who released darkspawn, or the Venatori formenting hostility to mages that would feel a lot more real if you ended up interacting with the enemy at the end. As it is, it's kind of jarring that War Room operations never lead to interacting with characters outside of the War Room, unless you got the operation from that character in the first place.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Kajeesus posted:

It would have been nice if some of the War Room operations could lead to a Judgment. Like, there's whole quest chains like the one with the noblewoman who released darkspawn, or the Venatori formenting hostility to mages that would feel a lot more real if you ended up interacting with the enemy at the end. As it is, it's kind of jarring that War Room operations never lead to interacting with characters outside of the War Room, unless you got the operation from that character in the first place.

There's like two War Table mission chains that are about several different families that we never interact with. One is Alliances: etc, I don't recall the other one, but in both cases it goes straight over my head and I pick whoever happens to be available just to get it out of the way. A judgement or some consequence would be great with those ones.

On the other hand the logic puzzle is one of my favourites if only because you have no idea that it's going to be a logic puzzle when you start it and have no way of going back to check. It's so ridiculously dickish. The Hunter Fell mystery.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I want to know why they didn't throw a party at Skyhold so you would actually have a reason to explore it. Winter Palace could have been much more interesting if strings were pulled to host it at the PC's place.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

eating only apples posted:

On the other hand the logic puzzle is one of my favourites if only because you have no idea that it's going to be a logic puzzle when you start it and have no way of going back to check. It's so ridiculously dickish. The Hunter Fell mystery.
I have no idea how anyone has managed to do that puzzle without being forewarned or being able to Google the answer.

In other War Table news, making sure Clan Lavellan don't all get horribly murdered offscreen is a five-stage operation and if you don't choose the right advisor each time your whole family dies. But no matter the outcome, your Inquisitor has absolutely nothing to say on the subject. In my first playthrough they all died and I didn't even realise it(skimmed the outcome text, welp) til I saw people discussing how awful it was online.

I like the War Table as a concept, I really do. I just wish it felt more... consequential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

floofyscorp posted:

I have no idea how anyone has managed to do that puzzle without being forewarned or being able to Google the answer.

Which puzzle is this?

• Locked thread