Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If you are running around on a char that is barely built up enough for hard or chaos then that jumping charge from a group of spear men can nearly one shot you, same for a large group of archers. It isn't a difficult game by any means but compared to other warriors titles it's tougher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

WO1 was interesting in how much harder it was than any Warriors game before it. Normal felt like Hard, and it made me a lot better at Musou games. Then, WO2 did a complete 180, and not only was it super easy, the basic horse was as fast as WO1 Red Hare, and WO2 Red Hare was like being on an ancient Chinese motorcycle.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

Never noticed the ransoms being particularly dangerous but yeah, eat the wrong enemy Musou to the face and you'd better have been making use of those interim saves.

You must not have played much Gauntlet Mode. Stand still there for even a second and your toast.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Yeah red name gauntlet stages the mooks will tear you up, nevermind the lovers of chaos and other buffed officers.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Takoluka posted:

the basic horse was as fast as WO1 Red Hare, and WO2 Red Hare was like being on an ancient Chinese motorcycle.

There is nothing wrong with that. :colbert:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Takoluka posted:

On top of that, they don't branch based on things you do in the previous mission. You can just choose a side.

Aw, junk. That was always my favorite part about Samurai Warriors 1, such a shame to see it go.

Takoluka posted:

WO1 was interesting in how much harder it was than any Warriors game before it. Normal felt like Hard, and it made me a lot better at Musou games.

You must not have been abusing a speed-type character's R1 attack (I think my preferred was Taishi Ci) because that was a great way to destroy every enemy general in the game. Lu Bu on Chaos? No problem.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 17, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

You must not have been abusing a speed-type character's R1 attack (I think my preferred was Taishi Ci), because that was a great way to destroy every enemy general in the game. Lu Bu on Chaos? No problem.

God, R1 attacks in Orochi in general can be so absurdly broken.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The White Dragon posted:

You must not have been abusing a speed-type character's R1 attack (I think my preferred was Taishi Ci) because that was a great way to destroy every enemy general in the game. Lu Bu on Chaos? No problem.

You don't really know what to abuse when you first start the game. Taishi Ci is really good, but with timing, Mitsuhide's R1 can kill anything at nearly any level. They nerfed him and Ginchiyo's R1s in WO2, because they were unreasonably good. I think they lowered Taishi Ci's damage output on his R1 but kept the burn effect, as well as the knockback.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The branches in SW1 were so minor though. Each character only had 1 branch and some of them weren't even actual branches, just a bonus mission if you did some objectives. The only actual branching was through the create a warrior.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

For the upcoming Nobunaga's Ambition, do we know if it has an officer mode or no?

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Has anyone here ever played a nobunaga's ambition game? If I like total war will I like this game?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Slugnoid posted:

Has anyone here ever played a nobunaga's ambition game? If I like total war will I like this game?

It's actually nothing like Total War. More like Crusader Kings, but in 16th century Japan.

Edit: please note the last Nobunaga's Ambition game I played was for the NES, so it may have changed.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

kissekatt posted:

For the upcoming Nobunaga's Ambition, do we know if it has an officer mode or no?

Nah I don't think it does. ROTK 13 does! But that's not confirmed for US yet.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Takoluka posted:

You don't really know what to abuse when you first start the game. Taishi Ci is really good, but with timing, Mitsuhide's R1 can kill anything at nearly any level. They nerfed him and Ginchiyo's R1s in WO2, because they were unreasonably good. I think they lowered Taishi Ci's damage output on his R1 but kept the burn effect, as well as the knockback.
Diao Chan's R1 slide attack in WO1 was probably the most absurd of them all. No windup or recovery at all, invincibility frames for the entire attack duration, and multiple hits that trigger elemental/vorpal attacks.

Competently nerfed to hell in WO2 with a long windup.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

First look at Attack on Titan. They keep saying hunting action so I'm guessing it's like Toukiden??? Need to see some footage.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Today KT confirmed that the Steam version of Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence will have three bonus scenarios and a $10 discount for the first week of launch, making it $49.99. That's a pretty good deal since the PS4 version is full price and comes with one bonus scenario. PC was the lead platform so there should be no port problems, and the menus will be easier with mouse+keyboard than a DS4.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
What's the deal with the Nobunaga series anyways? The idea of a Sengoku-era strategy game with more depth than Shogun is intriguing to me, but whenever I look at the series I just see a bunch of grids and stats and my eyes kind of glaze over.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Nobunaga's Ambition and Romance of the Three Kingdoms games are great strategy games, but their major Thing is that they try and stay true to the incredible amounts of historical fiction and folklore surrounding the conflicts, not the history. Those stories are very much about the characters--like the time where Zhuge Liang uses taoist sorcery to move the winds for a fire attack, or the time Zhang Fei stands on a bridge and shots so loudly that the enemy army all poo poo themselves and ran away.

So you do have spearman and archers and cavalry and forts and food and gold and whatnot, but the meat of the game is in the officers that your faction has available. The grid of stats you saw was probably just the interface for assigning officers to tasks: if you decide you need to build more farms or whatever the game will show you a list of every officer you have available sorted by relevant stat and you just mark a couple of them and go. You'll probably just pick the top people in the list unless you need them for something else.

The closest Western analogy might be a game about the Illiad, where you just have Achilles stabbing like 30 guys and winning the battle singlehandedly and you just have to accept that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, the game has a bunch of menus for doing stuff like building towns and doing diplomacy and such. I'm going to throw up a thread for Nobunaga's Ambition once Tecmo Koei releases the last preview for Nation Building so I can have all the detailed info to put in a thread. Until then, enjoy this trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FasySoQoAxs

J Bloo
Mar 20, 2009
If I'm just coming back to dw after a long time (I think the last I played was...4?) is 7 still the best place to start as per the op? There's a million different versions on the psn store - do I want the standard or extreme legends version? Playing on PS3 if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

7 has the best story mode that doesn't complete expect you to know the story already, 8 is a bit more modern combat wise though. Extreme Legends is an expansion pack to the base 7 and Empires takes the 7 characters and combat and puts them in a light strategy game, it has no real story mode.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

J Bloo posted:

If I'm just coming back to dw after a long time (I think the last I played was...4?) is 7 still the best place to start as per the op? There's a million different versions on the psn store - do I want the standard or extreme legends version? Playing on PS3 if that makes any difference.

The best Dynasty Warriors game to get is Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate. It is also the best Samurai Warriors game to get :getin:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

get either dw8 complete edition (is that version on ps3 idk) wo3u or sw4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Or Pirate Warriors 3, out next week!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

get either dw8 complete edition (is that version on ps3 idk)

nope, it isn't, you have to buy both DW8 and XL separately, at full price on PS3 :argh:

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

J Bloo posted:

Personally I would go with 7 both because of how much better the campaign/story is and because 8 added some quality of life features that are not major in themselves but make it harder to go back (horse button, I:h:you).

J Bloo
Mar 20, 2009
Thanks both, seven has been purchased!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
When you're done with DW7, try out Samurai Warriors 4. It's amazing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The only problem with SW4 is that it makes it really hard to go back to older Warriors just because you get used to hyper attacks, and hyper attacks are fun as hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Allarion posted:

The only problem with SW4 is that it makes it really hard to go back to older Warriors just because you get used to hyper attacks, and hyper attacks are fun as hell.

I actually found the opposite, I really disliked Hyper Attacks. :smith:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Is Dragon Quest Heroes different from the usual formula at all? I haven't really kept up with the thing at all.

I mean, I'm going to get it regardless since I haven't played a Musou in a long time and I'll buy anything with DQ in the name, but it would be nice to know.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Sakurazuka posted:

Or Pirate Warriors 3, out next week!

Or, you know, Pirate Warrios 2 right now, as it's under $8 for the flash sale.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

mikeycp posted:

Is Dragon Quest Heroes different from the usual formula at all? I haven't really kept up with the thing at all.

I mean, I'm going to get it regardless since I haven't played a Musou in a long time and I'll buy anything with DQ in the name, but it would be nice to know.

Yeah, it's a lot slower and has more of a JRPG focus with magic spells you can charge to increase their strength, monster taming, real boss fights, a DQ8 tension system, and a lot of defensive missions where you're protecting things rather than just clearing out maps. You go into battles with a party of four, who you can freely swap between, and can level them up, buy skills, get new weapons and gear for them. There's a built-in fast travel system too so you can spend MP to warp to certain points across the map too. It's basically a JRPG molded into the Warriors formula.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, it's a lot slower and has more of a JRPG focus with magic spells you can charge to increase their strength, monster taming, real boss fights, a DQ8 tension system, and a lot of defensive missions where you're protecting things rather than just clearing out maps. You go into battles with a party of four, who you can freely swap between, and can level them up, buy skills, get new weapons and gear for them. There's a built-in fast travel system too so you can spend MP to warp to certain points across the map too. It's basically a JRPG molded into the Warriors formula.

Oh drat. That sounds super loving rad.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think the main criticism of Dragon Warriors is that the maps are relatively small for a Warriors game, but otherwise nobody would say it was a Musuo game if the developer was kept secret.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I hope that they make a Terraformars musou game at some point

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Tae posted:

I think the main criticism of Dragon Warriors is that the maps are relatively small for a Warriors game, but otherwise nobody would say it was a Musuo game if the developer was kept secret.

Like, Gundam 3 small? Or somehow even smaller?

I remember Gundam 3 having pretty drat small maps.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

mikeycp posted:

Like, Gundam 3 small? Or somehow even smaller?

I remember Gundam 3 having pretty drat small maps.

Pretty small, but the mission objectives are meant to be clearing enemies, so it's designed to be small.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

PW3 is really cool so far, but it's pretty silly how every single mission cut in dialogue or cutscene is recording blocked. Koei went kind of overboard this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I don't get recording blocking. People who want to record cutscenes are going to do it whether it's blocked on the console or not. I mean, people have been recording their games long before the consoles offered the ability to do so.