Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Are you guys talking about Jigoku no Alice? That's a pretty decent series and while I'm sure it has some typical Matsumoto weirdness I don't seem to remember any graphic rape or anything like that. I think it's a pretty good series, though it doesn't get updated super often. He's possibly my favorite manga-ka, but he does often do some sexually weird/hosed up poo poo (though just as often there are his series where I don't feel like the sexuality is gratuitous or meant to be fanservice, just part of what he does).

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Right? Some of the visuals Jiro Matsumoto brings to the plate are just amazing. It's one of my personal favorites.

If you liked that, Freesia and Tropical Citron are two more series of his. Both pretty surreal and intense. I also really liked his collections of short story manga, like Keep on Vibrating and A Revolutionist in the Afternoon. He's got a new ongoing series (at least I think it's new) set in the post-apocalypse, Jigoku no Alice, that is fairly decent right now but I'm not quite sure if it's going to reach the heights of some of his other full-length series, we'll see I guess.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

p.s. Jigoku no Alice, the current series by Jiro Matsumoto (Freesia, Uncivilized Planet, Tropical Citron, all great)...remains awesome, new chapter.

I really like Freesia, Tropical Citron, Uncivilized Planet, and a couple of his short story collections...didn't bother with Wendy or any of the other weird series he did that got too fetishistic. Here I thought I was the only Matsumoto fan around here, I remember making a thread devoted to him no one really posted in.

I was kind of disappointed by the new I Am a Hero volume (the Kengo Hanazawa thread is gone now right?)...it might just be me or a result of having waited so long that I lost the storyline momentum, but I wasn't really a fan of much that happened (and not much happened, so it was like...I waited for this? I feel like individual chapters of the story had way more going on in them compared to this volume) and for the first time it kind of felt to me like Hanazawa wasn't sure where he was taking the story or what he was doing exactly. I mean the Italy stuff was cool, but I'm not a fan of it going so Apocalypse no Toride (though hey, good timing for that series ending) or the abrupt character death. Or how highschooler+goon protagonist actually seems like a possible thing now and she's like, falling for him? C'mon Hanazawa
Come back Emperor Two Shovels. :(

And I'm not even bothering to finish Shamo at this point. I'll get around to the disappointment of that eventually...I finally read Imperial Guards at least, so that was awesome. Strains of Gunka no Baltazar with other cool poo poo, though I was pretty bummed that it had to end like that. I was excited to see the political intrigue of this sort of Russo-Japanese War.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Koukoku-no-Shugosha

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

TheFallenEvincar posted:

And I'm not even bothering to finish Shamo at this point. I'll get around to the disappointment of that eventually...

That's for the best, believe me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
thanks for constantly recommending Dorohedoro over the years btw ya'll, because it was always one of those series I put aside like "well, I'm sure this is good but the art style is too much of a turnoff for me to read much of it" but after sleeping on it for forever I finally put that aside and after the initial one chapter ease-in period I'm hooked and horrified and laughing and puking. I don't think I've ever read a manga that packs more :wtc: pages into every chapter, every time I turn the page I'm just like "There's no way she'll top thaaaaaaaaaa- :stare: :aaa:"

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
Huzzah! A new chapter of Bambino! Secondo is out! http://mangafreak.me/read1/bambino-secondo/36

The hunt for the legendary service man reaches a tragic result. Both of this man's sons perished in a restaurant fire. I have a feeling they will find him next chapter; my prediction is that he will be a hobo they pass in the street and don't recognize. Also a great comic moment when a waiter flips out at those hyenas!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

TheFallenEvincar posted:

thanks for constantly recommending Dorohedoro over the years btw ya'll, because it was always one of those series I put aside like "well, I'm sure this is good but the art style is too much of a turnoff for me to read much of it" but after sleeping on it for forever I finally put that aside and after the initial one chapter ease-in period I'm hooked and horrified and laughing and puking. I don't think I've ever read a manga that packs more :wtc: pages into every chapter, every time I turn the page I'm just like "There's no way she'll top thaaaaaaaaaa- :stare: :aaa:"

I'm going to read it front to almost-back again

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Corpse party demon goat cat under wizard dress

I think Dorohedoro might cause schizophrenia

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I have no understanding of what's going on in Dorohedoro most of the time...and I don't care.

The gyoza man is one of my favourite sequences in manga.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I reread Dorohedoro recently and actually it makes a fair amount of sense if you read it quickly. Over time the complicated plot threads of who exactly Kaiman is and how magic user world works start to unravel and it all seems like nonsense.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah I'm waiting for it to be entirely finished before I get back into it and then I'm gonna read it from the start. Most of it is actually very comprehensible but Kaiman's plot twists and turns all over the place.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

TheFallenEvincar posted:

And I'm not even bothering to finish Shamo at this point. I'll get around to the disappointment of that eventually...

I recommend you decide whether or not to finish the manga after reading the part where Ryo is meditating about things on the beach in preparation for the final battle.

Also, I think I might need to check out some of your recommendations, seeing as you have good taste.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The cool thing about Dorohedoro is that despite most of the important characters being pretty hard to kill and stay dead, what with Noi, the good doctor, demon goat cat, etc. the series still so far retains this sense of brutality and tension (in between the laughs) that I don't feel like any character is truly "safe".
I'm gonna be really bummed if my favorite character, the best character (clearly), and best-dressed character (great sneakers), Johnson bites it

SHOCKING! :haw:

I was so scared when someone finally figured out they should try whipping out a can of Raid :ohdear:

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 18, 2015

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Filament

From Yuki Urushibara, the author of Mushishi, we have the typical single volume that it really is a compilation of short stories done in her earlier years, unpublished before, and edited now thanks to her bigger notoriety.

quote:

Almost all of them have the ephemeral, mono no aware feeling that her style is so known for, of course. Several of them have ghosts or spirits themes, there is a pair of romantic ones, and it's finalized with two chapters that were the prototype for Mushishi. Curiously Ginko isn't the mc, but two other mushishis, one a kid, the other an older guy, and here the mushis are more literal insects, not insect-spirit things. And the setting is modern instead of feudal.

The older stories can be noticed by a less polished and more common drawing style. Apart from that, we can distinguish the longer, more worked on stories from the others, as several are very short, being just 3-7 pages, sometimes with an almost experimental tone.

Overall, I recommend it, even if it's a bit below Mushishi's level.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nagai Michi

Welp, to find this manga I had to go deep, very deep on the net, as it was done by the now defunct Jmanga.com company.

This is a light and whimsical slice of life of the author of the very awarded The Town of Evening Calm; The Country of Cherry. It uses normal panelling but given how short the stories are (3-4 pages), they are actually very similar in pace and tone to a 4-koma manga, in fact it seems this was her first non 4-koma.
The story is a bit brainless/carefree but home-wifey woman who is "gifted" by his drunk father to a good for nothing man, and they chose to go with that strange arranged marriage. I think the most ephemeral//mono no aware moments, or the happy or sad moments are the best parts of the manga, while the humor can be sometimes funny, sometimes feel flat.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Im sad this stopped at some point. Maybe I'm just reading the wrong translation.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New The Town Where Only I Am Missing.

I've had a feeling the series's title was going to be the finale, and it's looking more and more that way. But we've still got at least four chapters left, and the next chapter's title seems to indicate we're going back further. So I wonder where it's going to go from here.

At any rate, man what a :smith: chapter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

New The Town Where Only I Am Missing.

I've had a feeling the series's title was going to be the finale, and it's looking more and more that way. But we've still got at least four chapters left, and the next chapter's title seems to indicate we're going back further. So I wonder where it's going to go from here.

At any rate, man what a :smith: chapter.

I'm very curious about where this can go next. I don't see how it would work for him to go back in time again; if he did he would know from the get-go who committed the crimes and theoretically should have a relatively easy time "winning." I mean, it would certainly be enjoyable on some level to watch him go back to the beginning and totally own the teacher, but it wouldn't really make for a good story. At the same time, he's definitely not escaping from that vehicle.

Also, I'm happy to see other people discovering Dorohedoro. It is so good and can't possibly be recommended enough. There are very few fantasy/sci-fi style media that I would call truly "good" (even if many may be enjoyable), but I can definitely say that about Dorohedoro.

edit: I caught up on Ajin, and it's less bad than it was before. There was a nice psych-out where they make it seem like the bad guy is bad because he was abused as a child, only to then reveal that his father was just slapping him because he had murdered countless animals and then still felt the need to apologize for doing so (slapping him). It's sort of nice to have a bad guy that is just evil instead of one with a tortured backstory.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 21, 2015

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Immortal Hounds bonus chapter.

I would 100% absolutely read an entire series of this rather than the usual Immortal Hounds.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mikl posted:

I would 100% absolutely read an entire series of this rather than the usual Immortal Hounds.

Their weird rear end relationship is the best part of that manga.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Mikl posted:

Me too.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Read all of dorohedoro and I'm just blown away. Crazy, gritty and fun and brutal and I don't know what.
It's also hard to explain why I like it so much, might be the inventiveness of the setting and the characters.

Anyone done a write up or something I can read because this stuff ... :black101: Hope we get a new release soon.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

My only gripe with Shamo's ending is Ryo deserved a whole lot worse, a whole lot sooner.

Past that, I just decided to give Baki a try. I read Garouden first (Or most of it now anyway) and decided I need even more beefy punchman comics in my life. A bit weird and lame that first series Baki still isn't fully done up though, but regardless series two and three sound good anyway.

Also I keep getting closer and closer to reading Dorohedoro, it's gonna happen at some point I keep telling myself.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Baki is unironically the best manga ever made

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I just wish the art wasn't so aggressively ugly.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Serious Frolicking posted:

I just wish the art wasn't so aggressively ugly.

Uh... I wish I could report this post.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the baki anime covers the entire first manga series, if not quite in the same order.

Also read Tough, both what is translated of the first series but especially the sequel which is Baki as done by the guy who made riki-oh

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New chapter of rin. It's a really good one too. Also, mangaception.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Rin-HAROLD-Sakuishi/Ch-033-Read-Online?id=239672

coathat
May 21, 2007

I never thought I'd see this translated. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/bokura-no-funkasai-r16198

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For a moment there I thought it said Fuunsaiki but then my hopes were crushed

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

New chapter of rin. It's a really good one too. Also, mangaception.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Rin-HAROLD-Sakuishi/Ch-033-Read-Online?id=239672

I'm curious about all the stuff hinting that the other girl (Honda, from his school) would lead him to ruin. She doesn't seem like a bad person and seems to be genuinely interested in the main character and reads his comics and stuff. I think that Rin has been pretty good about subverting some expectations/character tropes (Mutou comes to mind; he seems like a terrible person early on but actually has some depth). Main character's dickhead classmate also realizes he was being a dickhead and apologizes when they graduate, instead of randomly holding a grudge, (usually) just like in real life.

I'm looking forward to him surpassing Taki, since Taki kind of comes off as a pretentious rear end in a top hat at times (though he still seems to be a good person). That seen where he's like "heh if you draw titty manga you'll never surpass me" was really dumb particularly in light of the fact that you couldn't really blame the MC's actions at the time; it's a competitive industry and there's a good chance he would have just outright failed if he didn't do things the way he did (or luck out with the editor change; if the old head editor were still there he probably would have been the one with the serialization instead of Taki).

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Also I keep getting closer and closer to reading Dorohedoro, it's gonna happen at some point I keep telling myself.

It'll be over in a few more chapters, so if you wait a bit longer you can read the whole thing in one go.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Yardbomb posted:

It's real good. Unique.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Started on it (Dorohedoro) as I'd been planning, just a few chapters in but man is it rad as hell.

Oh you're magic? Get in my mighty jaws :black101:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ccs posted:

It'll be over in a few more chapters, so if you wait a bit longer you can read the whole thing in one go.

What I need to do at this point is to reread it. I did an hiatus with the series two years and I forgot a good deal of the plot. I'm kind of hyped to enjoy it again and this time from beginning to the end.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The one bad thing about Dorohedoro is that when you're done reading it and want more like it, you're SOL.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
You could take some psychoactive drugs and look at the work of John Blanche, perhaps.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

this is dope

coathat
May 21, 2007

It was up for the manga Taisho a couple of years ago.
Here's an interview with the guy that did that, Taiyou Matsumoto and the pun pun guy. https://mangabrog.wordpress.com/2014/06/14/taiyo-matsumoto-with-inio-asano-and-keigo-shinzo/

coathat
May 21, 2007

There's finally a new chapter of dungeon cooking.

http://bato.to/read/_/341192/dungeon-meshi_v1_ch2_by_everydayheroes-scans

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That interview is super interesting. I like the part where they talk about doing vanity google searches the criticism they get, and how Shinzo just says he doesn't get any criticism. Apparently some people hate Asano for some reason, from what he said.

I find it really interesting how apparently none of them read much other manga. You'd think that it would be beneficial, if not necessary, to expose yourself to a bunch of other material, but apparently that's not the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Ytlaya posted:

I find it really interesting how apparently none of them read much other manga. You'd think that it would be beneficial, if not necessary, to expose yourself to a bunch of other material, but apparently that's not the case.

Most manga guys, even monthly, are in super crunch mode practically all the time.