Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

won't be many high-5s at the top i guess

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
It looks like he lost half of the digits rather than the whole thing so high 2.5s

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
so is that guy's name the japanese word for Sunk Cost Fallacy

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
One man.

One mission.

One finger.

The freezing air of Mount Everest bit 9 of his fingers off.

And now he wants revenge

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I'm dumb but since most climbers take canned air up to the summit, what exactly do they die from? Fatigue from the climb + cold?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Gibberish posted:

I'm dumb but since most climbers take canned air up to the summit, what exactly do they die from? Fatigue from the climb + cold?

They get addicted to canned air and then resent its absence.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Gibberish posted:

Last year the ground quaked as a vintage british warplane crashed into the side of the mountain and killed 11 climbers.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Gibberish posted:

Hired = Sherpa

White people are good at falling to their deaths

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Gibberish posted:

Logistically, you can only take enough oxygen so that the altitude kills you slightly slower. So fatigue and cold, yes, plus high altitude brain swelling and lung fluid, which can kill quickly. One of the better chroniclers of the everest seasons did a k2 climb, got the lung fluid thing, and was about an hour away from death by the time he got down.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
"Traffic" is missing from that list. It's what killed our favorite south east asian canadian woman holding a dvd copy of men in black 3 afterall.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Let's not forget the Everest film coming out in a few weeks too! What a weird year it has been for Everest.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Atmospheric pressure on peak of Everest is 1/3rd of sea-level pressure. Or two-thirds the way to a perfect vacuum, if you put it that way.
Even if you get enough oxygen, that alone can make for fun medical surprises.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Gibberish posted:

the canned air takes you from like 30% or sea level oxygen to 33% or something, pressurised gas cannisters are heavy and you're really just supplementing the surrounding air with a relatively tiny (but important) amount of additional oxygen. Even with oxygen you still have a pretty high chance of HAPE, HACE, altitude related exhaustion and Brain Problems leading to trips, falls and lovely decision making. Plus as other people have said, there's the cold/weather, avalanches, equipment failure, falling, human error (such as failing to clip into a rope), rock falls. It's generally just a hostile environment and one to which humans are really poorly adapted.

Geese on the other hand; I had a prof in college who studied geese that fly OVER the drat Himalayas on their migration route (though they tend to stick to high passes rather than going above the peaks)

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
So an experienced Japanese climber has failed to summit four times and lost 9/10 of his fingers in the process, but that overweight dude that has never stood on a mountain drunkenly(?) booked a no-refund expedition and is still confident he will be fine. Everest people are weird.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

is he planning on walking across the country too?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

CommunistPancake posted:

is he planning on walking across the country too?

I hope he's not a picky eater!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

He's going to wheel his supplies up in a small 3 wheeled pushchair

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

gohuskies posted:

quote:

But more than five climbing teams from ...

So... six? Seven? A million? What a strange way to write that story.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

freelop posted:

He's going to wheel his supplies up in a small 3 wheeled pushchair

What happens when it breaks before reaching base camp? I hope Everest has Uber service.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Uber Everest, you can contract a team of Sherpas but I'm pretty sure none of them have had background checks, they might chase you off the mountain trying to stab you if you're not careful.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Fatkraken posted:

Geese on the other hand; I had a prof in college who studied geese that fly OVER the drat Himalayas on their migration route (though they tend to stick to high passes rather than going above the peaks)

There's really great footage of this in the "Mountains" episode of the Planet Earth documentary series. IIRC there's a great shot of them flying over The Balcony, looks amazing.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

DumbparameciuM posted:

There's really great footage of this in the "Mountains" episode of the Planet Earth documentary series. IIRC there's a great shot of them flying over The Balcony, looks amazing.

It's demoiselle cranes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX94wDhywaM

Crane segment starts at 42:30. Amazing footage, watch the whole thing.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Zahgaegun posted:

So... six? Seven? A million? What a strange way to write that story.

I assume they mean "at least five, but we're not sure of the exact number."

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Some Japanese climber is making a go at Everest:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/01/asia/nepal-japanese-climber/index.html

It's his 5th attempt. He's missing enough of his fingers to make holding an ice axe difficult. He'll be doing it solo with no oxygen, and apparently he has a webcasting team or something.

Anyone know more about this dude?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Not much more than what was already posted at the top of this page and the previous one.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

empty baggie posted:

Not much more than what was already posted at the top of this page and the previous one.

Well, poo poo.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Everest movie comes out this month and I will go see it

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I liked that the trailer I saw on tv didn't seem to show a single non white person.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

pookel posted:

I assume they mean "at least five, but we're not sure of the exact number."

Yeah, I figured it was "Five locked in and on their way, others still waiting on their permits to go through or in the early stages of preparing but not yet officially committed to an expedition."

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

JB50 posted:

At the end of the Doc her family tries to blame the Neplaese Govt and the sherpas for her stupidity. Dumasses.

Her husband oddly doesnt seem upset about her death.

Take the largest insurance policy imaginable out and enjoy. That's what I'd do if I was married to an idiot like her.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Al Borland posted:

Take the largest insurance policy imaginable out and enjoy. That's what I'd do if I was married to an idiot like her.

I imagine the premiums on an insurance policy that covers going to Everest and dying of what is essentially Summit Fever are going to be so high that whatever payout you get isn't worth it.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Fatkraken posted:

I imagine the premiums on an insurance policy that covers going to Everest and dying of what is essentially Summit Fever are going to be so high that whatever payout you get isn't worth it.

I think there are a few policies which cover getting to basecamp, although most adventure and trekking insurance policies tend to have altitude restrictions. As far as the summit is concerned, probably "nope, not touchimg that with a bargepole".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah every life insurance policy ever has exemptions for "extreme sports" like skydiving or mountain climbing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah every life insurance policy ever has exemptions for "extreme sports" like skydiving or mountain climbing.

I don't believe this is actually true.

My stepdad took out a large and very ironclad policy before engaging in several seasons of motorcycle racing. He had no trouble getting insured and asked specifically about coverage when racing motorcycles on track and it was fine.

My own life insurance policy has no language at all about extreme sports. In fact it even covers suicide, after I've held the policy for long enough (I forget exactly how long - two years I think.)

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I don't believe this is actually true.

My stepdad took out a large and very ironclad policy before engaging in several seasons of motorcycle racing. He had no trouble getting insured and asked specifically about coverage when racing motorcycles on track and it was fine.

My own life insurance policy has no language at all about extreme sports. In fact it even covers suicide, after I've held the policy for long enough (I forget exactly how long - two years I think.)

It's different for insurance outside your country. Last time i got travellers insurance, it only allowed a very limited number of activities, and specifically excluded things like jet skiing. I didn't ask about climbing everest, but it probably fell into the same category as jet skiing.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Should an 11-Year-Old Be Allowed on Everest?

quote:

"I like pushing myself and I like to be different from other kids," Tyler told me earlier this month, a few weeks before he starts sixth grade. I called to ask about his Everest plans, and I talked to him on speakerphone with his dad, Kevin. "I think I can push myself and be the youngest to do the Seven Summits. The recognition helps motivate me. It pushes me on the mountain."
:wtc:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When you have Krakauer saying "You're an idiot for doing this" you should probably not do it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rondette posted:

Let's not forget the Everest film coming out in a few weeks too! What a weird year it has been for Everest.

it doesn't sound very good though

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/sep/02/everest-review-star-studded-adventure-proves-a-difficult-summit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

He will get to be different from other kids...

He'll be dead!

• Locked thread