Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nsaP posted:

Passive aggressive fuckheads piss me off and you never explained why the other parker was a huge rear end in a top hat. Cause they were over the line? Did you even talk to them before confronting them?

I'd give 4:1 that they just parked poorly out of being poor parkers and no wake showed up like a smug dick to pull in the spot right and all they wanted was courtesy.

Don't really see a problem with what he did there, that's not even passive-aggressive, that's just "parking".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
Frankly I have no sympathy for poor parking.
You had to do parallel parking and reverse into a parking space to pass the test to get a license.
Clearly these people have been taught how to loving park and at one point proved that they can do it.

So in my perception they are lazy cunts who simply can't be bothered to park properly. It has nothing to do with skill and everything with the will to not be a loving asbo.

It wouldn't be the first time I have told someone that they teach children to colour inside the lines in kindergarten and that parking is no different.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

88h88 posted:

Just read a story about an incident in the next city over. Dude in a Land Rover mowed down another guy on a motorbike as he thought it was his that was stolen a couple of days before.

Biker was seriously injured and the driver is now looking at attempted murder charges...

Is it just me or is that completely mental?

*edit: as in, aiming for someone with your car deliberately.

Guy should be in jail.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have no sympathy for people who can't park either but if you be passive aggressive like that you're just asking for it. My motto is to just leave them alone and hopefully a natural gene pool cleansing will occur when they do some other completely stupid driving maneuver.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

nsaP posted:

Passive aggressive fuckheads piss me off and you never explained why the other parker was a huge rear end in a top hat. Cause they were over the line? Did you even talk to them before confronting them?

I'd give 4:1 that they just parked poorly out of being poor parkers and no wake showed up like a smug dick to pull in the spot right and all they wanted was courtesy.

I agree that he was being passive aggressive about it, and he even admitted to it, but he inconvenienced himself more than that woman and she deserved it. Maybe she'll think twice about parking like an rear end in a top hat next time.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
Being passive aggressive about it will probably only get your car dented. I don't expect people who are too thick to park inside the lines to give a poo poo about the property of others.

Unless it's one of those stance bro cars. They park like cunts because they are so goddamn afraid someone farts in the general direction of their piece of poo poo, that it is perfectly safe to box them in. Usually the paint on those is worth more than the saxo or polo that's underneath.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Deedle posted:

Frankly I have no sympathy for poor parking.
You had to do parallel parking and reverse into a parking space to pass the test to get a license.

Depends on what state you first got your license in. I got mine in Florida and only had to park forward in a perpendicular spot, no reversing or parallel parking required (nor driving on a public road at all, for that matter; the entire test was in an empty parking lot with fake road lines painted on it).

Edit: Not that parking properly or using common courtesy are difficult things to figure out on your own, just that driver's license standards in some parts of the country are even lower than you'd expect... :v:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

NoWake posted:

She was sitting in the driver's seat smoking a cig when I pulled in. I reached over and knocked on her passenger window, told her she was way over the line and asked if she'd move over so I could open my door. She in return asked me to kiss her loving rear end, buttfuck my boyfriend (brother was with me) etc. I agree it's immature and passive aggressive but you get what you give.

You did the right thing dude don't worry about the always offended usual suspects here

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Speaking of parking, Peoria made some spots reverse angle parking. Last time I was there, about 1/4 of the people pulled in forwards on the opposite side of the street. Good luck backing up against traffic when you leave!

https://www.peoria.com/news/news_detail.php?news_id=4188

All the comments on this page and other sites have been about the coming apocalypse of car wrecks and closed businesses because this is somehow more difficult than the current parallel parking it's replacing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Uthor posted:

Speaking of parking, Peoria made some spots reverse angle parking. Last time I was there, about 1/4 of the people pulled in forwards on the opposite side of the street. Good luck backing up against traffic when you leave!

https://www.peoria.com/news/news_detail.php?news_id=4188

All the comments on this page and other sites have been about the coming apocalypse of car wrecks and closed businesses because this is somehow more difficult than the current parallel parking it's replacing.

Is it just me or is that the easiest thing ever? Like, how do you gently caress that up?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

PT6A posted:

Is it just me or is that the easiest thing ever? Like, how do you gently caress that up?

Until two brodozers leave 3/4 of a space between them and aunt edna decides that her 1979 Cadillac can fit.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011

dennyk posted:

Depends on what state you first got your license in. I got mine in Florida and only had to park forward in a perpendicular spot, no reversing or parallel parking required (nor driving on a public road at all, for that matter; the entire test was in an empty parking lot with fake road lines painted on it).

Edit: Not that parking properly or using common courtesy are difficult things to figure out on your own, just that driver's license standards in some parts of the country are even lower than you'd expect... :v:
Just another reason I am glad that the Atlantic separates me from Florida drivers...

I had to reverse out of a spot, do a three point turn and reverse back into the same spot.
loving that up means you don't even get to leave the parking lot at the CBR and you won't get a license. All that before a driving test that takes an hour and involves special manoeuvres, motorway driving, residential areas.
You'll probably get a pass if you get one or two remarks. Break a law, or gently caress up some other way and it's back to the CBR and no license for you.
For example if during a hill start in a manual you roll back a noticeable amount, you fail on account of not being in control of the vehicle.
Stall at a light once, they'll write it up to being nervous for the exam. Stall twice and you fail.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
When I got my license it was "Drive down that road. Take a turn here. Turn there. Turn here. Okay now we're going back, turn here. Turn here. Turn here. And turn here. Now park at the curb."

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PT6A posted:

What I don't understand is how people think that's harder than the parallel parking that those spots replacing.

Of course, the parallel parking spots in this town are about 50% longer than the ones in Chicago and people gently caress those up all the time around here.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Deedle posted:

Stall at a light once, they'll write it up to being nervous for the exam. Stall twice and you fail.

To be fair, if you stall twice in the course of an hour, you are not ready to take your driving test. Not rolling back at all on a hill start is probably the most difficult part of driving a manual, and even then you should really be using your handbrake for that on the driving test, shouldn't you?

EDIT: Here, they actually disadvantage you for taking the test in a manual transmission. Firstly, there's more things to gently caress up; secondly, you'll either get dinged for not having two hands on the wheel during a turn if you do shift during a turn, or for being in an inappropriate gear if you don't shift in the middle of the turn.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 23, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

How do you stall an automatic car? Serious question, I've never driven one.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I had an automatic stall on be in reverse because of a bad tank of gas.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
If you take the test in an automatic, your license will be restricted, code 96 iirc.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

When I was learning to drive, one of the people in the car kept stalling because the car had a bad radiator or fan and he was afraid to pull out into traffic, so the car would overheat from excessive idling.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Deedle posted:

Just another reason I am glad that the Atlantic separates me from Florida drivers...

I had to reverse out of a spot, do a three point turn and reverse back into the same spot.
loving that up means you don't even get to leave the parking lot at the CBR and you won't get a license. All that before a driving test that takes an hour and involves special manoeuvres, motorway driving, residential areas.
You'll probably get a pass if you get one or two remarks. Break a law, or gently caress up some other way and it's back to the CBR and no license for you.
For example if during a hill start in a manual you roll back a noticeable amount, you fail on account of not being in control of the vehicle.

Wish our tests were that rigorous. 50% of the people currently on the road would fail.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Wish our tests were that rigorous. 50% of the people currently on the road would fail.

And it would be glorious.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PaganGoatPants posted:

And 80% of the failures would still keep driving anyway.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
every time someone brings up some stupid idea to save lives while driving just ask them if theyd support much stricter standards and periodic retesting.

*crickets*

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

go3 posted:

every time someone brings up some stupid idea to save lives while driving just ask them if theyd support much stricter standards and periodic retesting.

*crickets*

Sure, why not? It's not like the driving test is that difficult. Still, I think a better solution (which would be much more palatable to the general public) would be recurrent training like pilots have to do. Don't necessarily make them take the whole test over again; let them take an approved driving course with a qualified instructor. This would provide an incentive for people do undertake more specialized driver training, like defensive driving courses, winter driving courses, high-performance driving courses, etc, which I think would improve road safety in general.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

88h88 posted:

How do you stall an automatic car? Serious question, I've never driven one.

Well, in theory, you can't. They generally don't, either, unless something is hosed like the torque converter lock-up clutch or excessive drag in the gearbox.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PT6A posted:

Sure, why not? It's not like the driving test is that difficult. Still, I think a better solution (which would be much more palatable to the general public) would be recurrent training like pilots have to do. Don't necessarily make them take the whole test over again; let them take an approved driving course with a qualified instructor. This would provide an incentive for people do undertake more specialized driver training, like defensive driving courses, winter driving courses, high-performance driving courses, etc, which I think would improve road safety in general.

There's states in the US where once you're in your 60s or 70s you can renew your driver's license through the mail.

If they can't be bothered to drive to the BMV to have their license renewed how do you think they're going to react to "not only do you have to actually come in, we're also going to re-test your ability to operate a motor vehicle"?

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011

go3 posted:

*crickets*
Sure bring it on, I have to fill out a shed load of paperwork to renew my license because of my handicap. I have to prove that my medical condition has remained the same or retake the exam.

I see absolutely no downside to requiring everyone to do so. Prove that you are still physically and mentally fit to drive. That would weed out a metric gently caress tonne of bad drivers.

And retaking the exam also requires me to pass the theoretical exam, so that should apply to everyone else as well.

Oh and annual MOTs for everything with plates on it. Yes, that includes segways, mopeds, caravans, and motorcycles.
Because people are too loving stupid to maintain their vehicles, telling them once a year to fix that poo poo or take it off the public roads is sadly necessary.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Who's paying for this?

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011

PCOS Bill posted:

Who's paying for this?
My healthcare covers the medical fees. I have to foot the bill for everything else.
If I have to retake the exams that will cost me some 300 euro. But it's only once every ten years, so not exactly a huge expense.
A new license is 25 the paperwork somewhere in the 70s.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Deedle posted:

My healthcare covers the medical fees. I have to foot the bill for everything else.
If I have to retake the exams that will cost me some 300 euro. But it's only once every ten years, so not exactly a huge expense.
A new license is 25 the paperwork somewhere in the 70s.

No I mean if everyone is required to retake everything constantly.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PCOS Bill posted:

No I mean if everyone is required to retake everything constantly.

They had to pay for it in the first place, so they'd have to pay for it again. (The drivers.)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
so not only do yall want to take away peoples god given right to drive like an rear end in a top hat, you want them to pay for it.

there's an electable position.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Geirskogul posted:

Until two brodozers leave 3/4 of a space between them and aunt edna decides that her 1979 Cadillac can fit.

Or assholes that tailgate not leaving room for someone to back up - I can see people getting into petty fights over spots like that

go3 posted:

so not only do yall want to take away peoples god given right to drive like an rear end in a top hat, you want them to pay for it.

Not much different than drivers education courses that people have to pay for. And hell, if we're gonna restrict people with no road experience that are under a certain age, let's start doing the same for people over a certain age too, because sharing a road with Granny McSlowAss who can't see, hear, or react in time is just as dangerous as the dipshit kid who hasn't driven before.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 23, 2015

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011

go3 posted:

At least I am creating jobs :v:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
To add some data to the whole talk; The average cost to get a drivers license in Sweden is 15 000 SEK, $1800 US as of today. Needless to say the cops nab licenseless drivers several times a day in my city of 150k people :v:
The work and money required isn't everything, the yearly inspections are unbelievable. Does the vehicle risk breaking down and causing an incident somewhere? Fails. Could it maybe perhaps run a risk of breaking down like that, like some pieces should be replaced because they are worn out? Passes with a note you better listen to and act on.
Needless to say the cops also nab cars driving on plates belonging to cars not allowed to be on the road and cars driving on stolen plates daily! :haw:

The goal with everything is the very re-election campaign sounding "zero-vision" of zero deaths in traffic. Swedish statistics in 2013:
278 deceased
3 deaths per 100k people
0.05 deaths per 1000 vehicles
5 231 589 vehicles (Nearly 10 million people living in the country)

For the sake of statistics to compare to, US data for 2013:
35 490 deceased
11,4 deaths per 100k people
0.14 deaths per 1000 vehicles
258 957 503 vehicles (317 million people)

Russia trailed nearly 10k deaths behind the US and you know how those people drive. Makes you think. Surely some states have proper demands on handing out licenses and inspections?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MrLonghair posted:

To add some data to the whole talk; The average cost to get a drivers license in Sweden is 15 000 SEK, $1800 US as of today. Needless to say the cops nab licenseless drivers several times a day in my city of 150k people :v:
The work and money required isn't everything, the yearly inspections are unbelievable. Does the vehicle risk breaking down and causing an incident somewhere? Fails. Could it maybe perhaps run a risk of breaking down like that, like some pieces should be replaced because they are worn out? Passes with a note you better listen to and act on.
Needless to say the cops also nab cars driving on plates belonging to cars not allowed to be on the road and cars driving on stolen plates daily! :haw:

The goal with everything is the very re-election campaign sounding "zero-vision" of zero deaths in traffic. Swedish statistics in 2013:
278 deceased
3 deaths per 100k people
0.05 deaths per 1000 vehicles
5 231 589 vehicles (Nearly 10 million people living in the country)

For the sake of statistics to compare to, US data for 2013:
35 490 deceased
11,4 deaths per 100k people
0.14 deaths per 1000 vehicles
258 957 503 vehicles (317 million people)

Russia trailed nearly 10k deaths behind the US and you know how those people drive. Makes you think. Surely some states have proper demands on handing out licenses and inspections?

The cops in my city busted someone for driving without a license right after they'd been convicted of drunk driving at had their license suspended/revoked. In their words, they suspected this would happen, because the gentleman had decided to drive himself to court on the day of the sentencing. I think he got jail time after that.

The punishment for driving without a valid license, or for driving without insurance, should be unpleasant enough that even taking public transit seems pleasant by comparison.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Geoj posted:

There's states in the US where once you're in your 60s or 70s you can renew your driver's license through the mail.

Hell, in Georgia everyone can renew on the Internet as long as you've already been through the "Look, here's a second utility bill mailed to my house to prove I'm not an illegal immigrant terrorist identity thief" rigamarole in person at least once. Not that I'm complaining, it sure as gently caress beats waiting in line outside the local DMV for four hours to get your ticket to wait in a tiny room for four more. If they required tests for renewal, you'd basically have to live in a tent along County Services Parkway for the rest of your life to have any hope of getting an appointment before your current license expired.

PT6A posted:

The punishment for driving without a valid license, or for driving without insurance, should be unpleasant enough that even taking public transit seems pleasant by comparison.

The trouble is that there are a lot of Americans who live in places where there is literally no public transit, and a lot more who live in places with terrible public transit that is entirely incompatible with a "your shift will change every week and sometimes we'll call you in unexpectedly and if you don't show up within the hour, you're fired" big-box retail/service job. Many of those folks also can't afford to pick up and move to one of the half-dozen or so major cities in the country that actually have a public transit system that's only kind of lovely. If someone is barely scraping by living in a trailer in East Nowheresville and they have to drive 45 miles each way to the nearest Wal-Mart for their minimum-wage job, they're gonna do what they gotta do, license and insurance or not, because it's better than the "stop paying rent and starve to death in the woods" alternative.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

dennyk posted:

The trouble is that there are a lot of Americans who live in places where there is literally no public transit, and a lot more who live in places with terrible public transit that is entirely incompatible with a "your shift will change every week and sometimes we'll call you in unexpectedly and if you don't show up within the hour, you're fired" big-box retail/service job. Many of those folks also can't afford to pick up and move to one of the half-dozen or so major cities in the country that actually have a public transit system that's only kind of lovely. If someone is barely scraping by living in a trailer in East Nowheresville and they have to drive 45 miles each way to the nearest Wal-Mart for their minimum-wage job, they're gonna do what they gotta do, license and insurance or not, because it's better than the "stop paying rent and starve to death in the woods" alternative.

Then I guess you better make really, really sure you keep your license and insurance current, eh?

What's the solution for people that don't have a car? Steal one because you need to?

I grew up in a really rural town of around 600 people. If you didn't have a car (and a fair number of people didn't), you walked or biked or hitch-hiked. I don't know of anyone that ever got done for driving without a license or insurance (insurance being a mandatory component of registration there).

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
I already posted this in the terrible car poo poo thread, but it fits here too.

At 7:30PM this evening, five years of hard work, $15,000, and a Pristine Rust-Free Arizona Corvair were wasted by the negligence of one braindead moron. The loving Jerkoff who hit me attempted to take a 25MPH 90º curve in a residential neighborhood at a good 45-50MPH. By the time we saw him, he was so far over the center line that we couldn't do much to get out of the way. Of course he was drunk. Seeing the cops shove him cuffed into the back of a Cruiser was the only gratifying moment of the night. I'm thankful I'm not hurt but I'm so drat mad. The guy who helped me build this car Has Terminal ALS and won't be around much longer. This is the last Corvair he ever built, and we just finished it this spring. He never got the time to finish his own projects.
:fuckoff: Drunk Driving assholes.

On the bright side, The dude responsible is sleeping in County Lockup tonight, His brand new 2015 Sentra is probably totalled and I have a chunk of his front end to hang on my Garage wall as a trophy. He bounced off us like a drat tennis ball.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PT6A posted:

Then I guess you better make really, really sure you keep your license and insurance current, eh?

What's the solution for people that don't have a car? Steal one because you need to?

I grew up in a really rural town of around 600 people. If you didn't have a car (and a fair number of people didn't), you walked or biked or hitch-hiked. I don't know of anyone that ever got done for driving without a license or insurance (insurance being a mandatory component of registration there).

In the us, most licenses are suspended for a single unpaid ticket (doesn't even need to be a moving violatopn). I'd agree 100% if everyone with suspended licenses got there for bad driving, but most people get there for being poor.