Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Last couple of episodes were good. I do like it when Dave gets real angry at people and calls out fans too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I knew the 'bi weekly' thing was going to come back with a vengeance. I couldn't help but laugh at Gareth's quiet "... I'm ready whenever" after he jumped the gun introducing himself at the beginning of the podcast.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Right now I am imagining the beautiful golden society I'd be living in now if we had somehow domesticated and farmed for their flesh the mighty hippopotamus. I'd be a better man for sure.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I mean, I'm definitely down to try hippo jerky at least. It's just that it sounds like a crude sex act when you order it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

That list of aliases made me think of old Batman and Superman comics when they would go incognito with truly awful names, like Matches Malone and Bundini Brown.

I had some small concern about the recent flap taking the wind out of DA's sails, bit I've really enjoyed their recent episodes, even the Lawsonomy episode. And the octopus wrestling episode may have sworn me off of getting octopus when I go out for sushi.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

If it makes you feel any better the calamari/pig anus thing is debunked with a cursory Google search.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Captain Shortbus posted:

If it makes you feel any better the calamari/pig anus thing is debunked with a cursory Google search.

But what about the disconnected tentacle still trying to feed itself? I had almost the same reaction as Gary during that part.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
This last episode was a little creepy. Also the only thing in horror movies that scares me. People in my walls.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Captain Shortbus posted:

That's true, but the funny thing is that This American Life did a bit where they talked about this urban myth and actually did a taste test, and what they determined is that while there is zero evidence that restaurants use pig bung as fake calamari, they could totally do it if they wanted to because there is zero difference in the taste and texture between the two.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
The list of aliases in The Hippo Bill was really fantastic.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

The list of aliases in The Hippo Bill was really fantastic.

I had the exact same reaction as Gareth during the episode. It just kept topping itself.

The sad thing is, as well, I'd buy a "No Sleep Til Hippo" shirt if they made it. Even if it makes 0 sense out of context.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
New episode is the best one ever made if you're into Irish voices.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

This new episode would drive a friend of mine completely out of her mind, but she kinda uber-fetishizes Ireland and her heritage coming from there. That said, it was a great episode. I can't wait to tell her all about how Irish guerrillas tried to invade Canada.

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin
I give the Spiderman episode 5/5 cigar boxes.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

My favourite voice was Gareth's 'Irish accent pretending not to be Irish'. So dumb and great.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Apparently the latest episode was pulled because of "relentless complaining." Does anyone know what that's about?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Haha, he did pull it.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

It's really weird that they keep having audio issues. Ten-year-olds playing Minecraft can record their audio more reliably than Dave. Maybe they could simultaneously record with two separate audio setups or something. :shrug:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The thing is, it wasn't even really very echo-y. I didn't notice it at all when the episode was on. And one dude complains so Dave throws a poo poo-fit and deletes it?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Nobody has a thinner skin than Dave Anthony

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I get the feeling Dave would be a very difficult person to be friends with.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

There's definitely more than one person complaining, but really,

AndrewP posted:

Nobody has a thinner skin than Dave Anthony
and

head58 posted:

I get the feeling Dave would be a very difficult person to be friends with.
To be fair, I'm sure putting out a podcast brings all kinds of complaints about sound/mic quality, vocal fry and uptalk, weird laughs and vocal tics, etc.. There are lots of compliments to go with the bitching no doubt but I'm sure it gets tiring listening to people constantly picking apart your poo poo. You'd think Dave has been out there as an entertainer long enough to not worry about it, but that's easy for me to say as someone nobody gives a poo poo about.

I wonder if Dave will re-post the podcast later, assuming that people have learned their lesson or something.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Ha ha ha ha what a loving baby

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

And More posted:

It's really weird that they keep having audio issues. Ten-year-olds playing Minecraft can record their audio more reliably than Dave. Maybe they could simultaneously record with two separate audio setups or something. :shrug:
It's baffling. Audio quality really shouldn't even be a thing for Dave. He's been doing podcasts for years, and is one of the founders of the LA Podfest, so he has access to any number of people who could give advice on basic audio compression, normalization, etc. or interns who would do it for him for cheap.

I totally get blowing off feedback on content: don't like the show topics or guests, don't listen. But if he doesn't give a poo poo about the audio quality at all, and good content is being degraded by how bad it sounds, what's the point of putting it out? That's on him, not the listener.

Oh, wait... that's probably why he's so thin-skinned about it.

onionradish fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 20, 2015

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

But that's the weird thing, the audio quality really wasn't bad at all. I could think of several podcasts put out this week, by people being paid real money from someone other than patreon, with much worse audio quality than that episode. At this point i'm much more annoyed by the people who complain constantly about audio quality than Dave Anthony's crazy spite brain.

EDIT: also for the curious you didn't miss much, Ulysses S. Grant really, really hated jews, then pretended he didn't

Maduo fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 21, 2015

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ever since WTR ended, I've grown to dislike Dave more and more. He really is a huge baby, he's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is, and he's so loving self-righteous. Not to mention his terrible forced laughter.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I love the content of the Dollop, but all of the bullshit surrounding the podcast has killed some of my enthusiasm for it.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

stealie72 posted:

I love the content of the Dollop, but all of the bullshit surrounding the podcast has killed some of my enthusiasm for it.

Why?

You kow you can just listen to the podcast and not give a poo poo about whatever happens outside of it.

I love this podcast, I could give two shits how the hosts act outside of it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I'm surprised people liked Dave Anthony coming in. :lol: Hasn't really affected my enjoying the Dollop at all, I never bother with standup comedian podcasts because they're all usually super contrived/forced-humor and usually full of L.A. standup douchebags so coming in I figured the guy from WTR which I never found remotely funny was probably lame, but the Dollop's a really entertaining history podcast. You don't listen to the Dollop because the hosts are intelligent or usually correct in their thoughts, that's definitely a quality of many podcasts but especially so with this one where part of the enjoyment is them being surprised/horrified by history facts.
I guess some people operate differently, but the way it works for me is that audio files arrive in my iTunes and I listen to them, I could care less if the guy creating the audio files is a dick to people on Facebook or to some site I never paid attention to. :shrug: As long as the audio files are still entertaining.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The Dollop is easy to enjoy if you've never thought of Dave as anything other than a dumb oaf. Audio problems and failure to understand fair use barely even register as issues.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

TontoCorazon posted:

Why?

You kow you can just listen to the podcast and not give a poo poo about whatever happens outside of it.

I love this podcast, I could give two shits how the hosts act outside of it.

Yeah, I'm not sure why. Knowing that Dave is such a thin skinned bitch just takes something away for me.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The Dollop is easy to enjoy if you've never thought of Dave as anything other than a dumb oaf. Audio problems and failure to understand fair use barely even register as issues.

He got a real pass on that, even after the awful 'Can't copyright history' defense. Deleting the last episode is just hilariously thin-skinned, however.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I thought taking down the episode was really funny, especially since I didn't notice any grave audio problems with it either.

Also for anyone who's wrestling with his precious feelings about the podcast over this, the episode's still on Soundcloud.
https://soundcloud.com/the-dollop/107-general-order-no-11

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Just discovered this podcast, and it's the bee's knees. Hippos and Octopi need to rise up and dethrone humans.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think part of the reason I dislike live podcast episodes in general are the members of the podcast usually trying too hard to "perform" and it's kind of even worse when you've got a podcast with (god forbid) standup comedians. Too many tryhard zinger attempts whereas it's a bit more comfortable and natural when not in front of an audience. They all just go wacky wacky loud hyper energetic joke-guns blazing at any and every opportunity and Gary's barely paying attention to things for the sake of comedy performance "No no no no no now they're ripping fingers off!!!!111" he just lanced it dude...

(that ep got a lot better as it went along though, liked the part where the dudes ate dogs until their dicks fell apart though :lol: )

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 23, 2015

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

PantsOptional posted:

The thing is, it wasn't even really very echo-y. I didn't notice it at all when the episode was on. And one dude complains so Dave throws a poo poo-fit and deletes it?

Thank god Jonathan doesnt act like this or else wed never get a single episode of UYD

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Some of the most memorable stories from UYD focus on Jonathan's misadventures. He is a man at peace with the fact that he has been, at times, a bit of a gently caress-up.

Dave...maybe not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
who was the crazy-annoying giggly guy from the last Australian tour, I need to know so I can avoid the episode if they have him on again