Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

like for real xiv is guilty of pretty much every major MMO sin but if you are bitching about sub-level 40 content in that game, content that is actively designed to be easily accomplished so as to ease JRPG nerds into the strange world of MMOs, it is because you are straight up bad at videogames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

maybe both the game and the player are bad :shrug:

I'm willing to meet in the middle on this. Final Fantasy 14 is bad, but so too are all of its players.

Yay compromise!

I'm sorry I helped summon Final Fantasy White Knights of the Round.(:rimshot:) Do I just need to talk smack about FF14 in another thread to get them to go to that one and leave this one alone or what?

Edit: The hilarious thing is that the original complaint is simply that if an expansion comes out I want to buy it and immediately play it with my friends so long as I'm the requisite level. This opinion makes me a huge idiot for some reason. It's been drug off course and beaten with a stick since then.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Saxophone posted:

Edit: The hilarious thing is that the original complaint is simply that if an expansion comes out I want to buy it and immediately play it with my friends so long as I'm the requisite level. This opinion makes me a huge idiot for some reason. It's been drug off course and beaten with a stick since then.

Opinions on that vary. The thread's most frequent posters are the usual goon jerks who play way more than everyone and don't have time/patience for peasant concerns. Whenever it comes up in-game, there's a mix of sympathy and the occasional jerkass. It sucks that there's a lot of content to go through before the expansion but they feel that what the expansion presents is worth it. They can't really do anything about it other than help you with the group content, you can't really do anything about it but express your frustration and/or quit.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
This is my favorite FFXIV thread.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wildstar: so bad we'll argue about other MMOs

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Wildstar: so bad we'll argue about other MMOs

Well, everyone already agrees that Wildstar is bad.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It's not like there's anything Wildstar-y to discuss

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I have nothing against the game and have barely even played it but holy :lol: at people defending mandatory dungeon crawls for leveling, as if they wouldn't be the first to loving bitch if some other MMO did it instead. You'd never loving hear the end of it if WoW did it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kessel posted:

It's not like there's anything Wildstar-y to discuss

You could instead talk about another ncsoft property thats made a lot of money thats finally getting a western release. It cost them a fraction to localize of what they spent on carbine finally releasing this abortion of an MMO and it will probably make more money because of kung fu and big shiny thighs

Yes blade and soul is finally getting a US release and beta starts around the same time wildstar f2p officially launches.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Niton posted:

Let me tell you a story about Ifrit, the first fight he's complaining about.

When I first started playing at launch, I was a stupid newbie who didn't realize he could leave the story "prison" immediately before the fight. I was playing a dps class which doesn't have the ability to queue as a healer until later on.. but there were three other DPS sitting there waiting, as well.

The four of us (3 pure dps with me trying to heal/tank with a pet) 3 shot it, with one of the wipes coming from not knowing what the enrage did.

If a fight like that stymies you with a normal group, that fight is not the problem.

When we were helping one of our friends get past story titan, because it's the first time where bad pubbies can really screw you over, he was tanking and managed to eat a landslide and fall off the side, and our dragoon finished tanking it. Leveling stuff is really really easy if you're paying any sort of attention at all, so I don't get the "this game is too hard and/or bullshit" argument.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You could instead talk about another ncsoft property thats made a lot of money thats finally getting a western release. It cost them a fraction to localize of what they spent on carbine finally releasing this abortion of an MMO and it will probably make more money because of kung fu and big shiny thighs

Yes blade and soul is finally getting a US release and beta starts around the same time wildstar f2p officially launches.

Oily thighs and small bent over miyagi lookin kung fu masters, oh my.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 23, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

rear end and Oil

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mayor McCheese posted:

This is my favorite FFXIV thread.

The MMO HMO › Wildstar: Talk about FF14 Heavensward here!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wildstar thread (actually a Final Fantasy XIV thread)

Kortel posted:

I like FFXIV but there's TONS of bad stuff about the game people tend to gloss over.

Atma books.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Argas posted:

2. Ifrit kills the party if they can't pass a simple DPS check involving no special mechanics whatsoever. It just requires players to hit a thing in the centre of the arena. If they're poorly geared or nobody is paying attention at all, this can kill the party.

Titan has a narrow line AoE that knocks players off the arena, which kills them. Easy to dodge and the cast time on it is generous enough unless you've got terrible lag. There is a DPS check like Ifrit's, only this time a non-tank is encased in a rock so they gotta be broken out first. It's not a hard check but the same things that apply to Ifrit apply here.

Garuda has a bunch of hard-hitting mechanics that can kill the party, so this one can take time to learn when it's your first time. However, these appear early in the fight and largely involve breaking her line of sight with you. Otherwise, it's a fairly standard encounter of killing stuff that spawns in and not standing in front of Garuda.

Hey guess what, people still died to it. Repeatedly. Nothing i can do as a tank to mitigate people standing in fire and stuff.

mr. stefan posted:

you know that old saying about how if you meet an rear end in a top hat in the morning, you met an rear end in a top hat, but if you keep running into assholes every hour of every day, the rear end in a top hat is probably in the mirror

yeah

those fights are easy, it is you, who are the bad player

This is Wildstar forums tier posting.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Deki posted:

Hey guess what, people still died to it. Repeatedly. Nothing i can do as a tank to mitigate people standing in fire and stuff.

Actually, as a tank, you could stun ifrit before he finished casting the eruptions so the dps wouldn't even need to move out of the way. And even if they get hit, story ifrit has such poo poo damage that a healer can heal through it. So it seems that everyone in your party was retarded, even you.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Holy poo poo the FF14 white knighting is reaching critical levels!

It's ok to say "yeah, the game I like does some dumb things, but hey, I like it anyway."

Instead, name calling, defense of decade-old MMO practices, and butthurt in expected levels.

FF14 is Beetlejuice and we invoked these defensive idiots. I take my share of the blame.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
mandatory dungeons

mandatory dungeons

mandatory dungeons

:suicide:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Saxophone posted:

Holy poo poo the FF14 white knighting is reaching critical levels!

It's ok to say "yeah, the game I like does some dumb things, but hey, I like it anyway."

Instead, name calling, defense of decade-old MMO practices, and butthurt in expected levels.

FF14 is Beetlejuice and we invoked these defensive idiots. I take my share of the blame.

FFXIV does a lot of retarded poo poo, but difficulty curve is probably the one thing it does right, and this is from someone who doesn't play it anymore.

Let's go back to complaining about having to do 15 hours of single player filler and trash before you can do another pile of filler and trash in order to do dungeons and raids with your friends, I liked that part.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

That's the only part I was complaining about.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Saxophone posted:

That's the only part I was complaining about.

:coffeepal:

Everyone runs together after awhile.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hey remember Elder gems and how you had to spend months grinding them to get more Amp power and unlock additional slots to save builds?

Hilarious!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Remember when the top raid guild duped elder gems and Carbine didn't ban them, causing most of the non true believer raid teams to pretty much give up hope in the first month?

Also did Wildstar even put out a new raid tier since launch?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They added a new raid with multiple difficulties that sort of bridges their current content, I think.

To be very blunt, I think their team right now is too small to make new content. They claimed to have like six months or a year or such of monthly updates for content patches, which I fully believe because Blighthaven feels like something they made at some point during development and put on a shelf as post-launch content. It'd be pretty wise to take the small team they have now and just polish and remove the stupid poo poo from what's left of these updates and hope F2P gives them enough money for an actual team.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

Asimo posted:

I maintain that Warhammer Online was a Good Game that was crippled by a few blatantly poor decisions during its development. And because it failed everyone else completely ignored the multiple good ideas it had.

I mean for gently caress's sake healers could have a friendly target and an enemy target simultaneously. Their powers affected one or both automatically as appropriate. Why do other MMOs not do this?

Late response, but actually The Secret World does this, which immediately gave me awesome flashbacks to Goblin Shamans.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh, huh. That's actually pretty cool. I'm glad someone actually learned that lesson.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
It also does the thing where you do damage to heal with Assault Rifles but also is a game I wouldn't really recommend on gameplay alone. While that's alright what carries that game is the story and atmosphere and is also kind of hamstrung by a few dumb design choices and Funcom not really doing so hot.

Edit: V It's a bit better now but still fairly clunky and the AEGIS system that's all over Tokyo and the newest dungeons is bullshit.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 24, 2015

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

You know, the game's combat system was fairly bad, but damned if I didn't love so much about that game. Puzzles that required actual Internet sleuthing, settings that were legitimately creepy (I jumped more than a few times in that game), and a super cool as all hell premise.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Saxophone posted:

You know, the game's combat system was fairly bad, but damned if I didn't love so much about that game. Puzzles that required actual Internet sleuthing, settings that were legitimately creepy (I jumped more than a few times in that game), and a super cool as all hell premise.

poo poo's definitely creepy in that game, though Egypt's kind of a downer compared to Soloman Island and Transylvania.

On FFXIV's mandatory dungeons, I don't mind it as much as I thought I would. As said, the game eases you in to the point where the first three dungeons are stupidly easy to the point where they can be a chore if they turn up as your roulette because there's so little going on mechanics-wise. It can be frustrating when you have a bad group but it hammers in that this is a game you play with other people. Sure, you could level using LFD in WoW but that game has no issue with players treating it like a single-player game for the entire leveling experience and keep doing that unless they wanted to do group content. Not necessarily a bad thing but the design decision doesn't sit well with me.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Rorus Raz posted:

Hey remember Elder gems and how you had to spend months grinding them to get more Amp power and unlock additional slots to save builds?

Hilarious!

Planetside 2 also makes you grind to unlock additional build slots and I think you even have to pay for premium to unlock all the slots.

...yeah it's owned by the Russian mob now, so

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Commissar Budgie posted:

Late response, but actually The Secret World does this, which immediately gave me awesome flashbacks to Goblin Shamans.

I like unique healing mechanics and it's a shame you don't see them too often.

Bear Shamans in Age of Conan healed their groups when they beat poo poo with their hammers. I thought that was a nice twist at the time. Chloromancers in RIFT also kind of did the same thing but it wasn't as cool.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Asimo posted:

I maintain that Warhammer Online was a Good Game that was crippled by a few blatantly poor decisions during its development. And because it failed everyone else completely ignored the multiple good ideas it had.

I mean for gently caress's sake healers could have a friendly target and an enemy target simultaneously. Their powers affected one or both automatically as appropriate. Why do other MMOs not do this?

The game was ruined by the plummeting population and extreme grind, unfortunately. But yeah, it did a several things better than any MMO has since.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Mayor McCheese posted:

I like unique healing mechanics and it's a shame you don't see them too often.

Bear Shamans in Age of Conan healed their groups when they beat poo poo with their hammers. I thought that was a nice twist at the time. Chloromancers in RIFT also kind of did the same thing but it wasn't as cool.

I wish more games spent some time thinking about making a support role fun.

I think too many devs were playing wow on their night elf/undead rogues and once tried to gank a pally that just spammed healed himself endlessly.

this caused every single "next gen" mmo designer to go HEALING IS TOXIC AND NOT FUN and either make it a loving chore with stupid gimmicks (wildstar) or remove it (gw2)

gently caress i just remembered wildstar had a mechanic where nobody had mana. Except healers, because reasons.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Double Monocle posted:

I wish more games spent some time thinking about making a support role fun.

I think too many devs were playing wow on their night elf/undead rogues and once tried to gank a pally that just spammed healed himself endlessly.

this caused every single "next gen" mmo designer to go HEALING IS TOXIC AND NOT FUN and either make it a loving chore with stupid gimmicks (wildstar) or remove it (gw2)

gently caress i just remembered wildstar had a mechanic where nobody had mana. Except healers, because reasons.

Healing is a job that only gets noticed when it gets wrong. Therefore healers in public groups only ever get negative comments about their playskill. Making healing the responsibility of the individual instead of a role for a player in a group is a good thing.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Assault rifles in Secret World do this too with some skills, you shoot people and a targeted ally gets healed because bees or something. It's actually pretty awesome, until you hit some of the later content were it arbitrarily doesn't work because Funcom. Results in a funny healing setup in dungeons though where you end up with a healer wearing mostly damage gear because the healing done by those skills is affected more by how much damage they did than anything else.

Still pretty sure the best support setup I ever saw was City of Heroes though. Sure it had its issues like how more than one support character on a team made the entire team unkillable forever and the lack of self targeting making some sets utterly useless when soloing, but it's the only game I've ever played where support was more than just playing whack a mole with healthbars and maybe very occasionally some utility stuff.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Byolante posted:

Healing is a job that only gets noticed when it gets wrong. Therefore healers in public groups only ever get negative comments about their playskill. Making healing the responsibility of the individual instead of a role for a player in a group is a good thing.

I completely disagree. The individual in any given MMO is a complete retard and I like to be able as a tank to bring a healer or the other way around and have the important poo poo covered and can then carry the team. There's always talk of getting rid of the holy trinity for no good reason but you have to have an idea what to replace it with. Guild Wars 2 did and probably still does it terribly, where enemies are HP sponges, nobody can tank adequately, nobody can heal adequately and dungeons are just a chore. DDO did this well where you can easily just replace any of the roles with crowd control, a bot you can use for a minimal fee, affordable healing potions or just plain throw more damage at the problem. The vast majority of enemies there follow the same rules you do so you can easily outmaneuver them. Or you can use a tank and healer if you want to, you don't have to get rid of the trinity to give players choices.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.

Morglon posted:

I completely disagree. The individual in any given MMO is a complete retard and I like to be able as a tank to bring a healer or the other way around and have the important poo poo covered and can then carry the team. There's always talk of getting rid of the holy trinity for no good reason but you have to have an idea what to replace it with. Guild Wars 2 did and probably still does it terribly, where enemies are HP sponges, nobody can tank adequately, nobody can heal adequately and dungeons are just a chore. DDO did this well where you can easily just replace any of the roles with crowd control, a bot you can use for a minimal fee, affordable healing potions or just plain throw more damage at the problem. The vast majority of enemies there follow the same rules you do so you can easily outmaneuver them. Or you can use a tank and healer if you want to, you don't have to get rid of the trinity to give players choices.

I agree with all of this. For all the cool things GW2 has done it has also proven that the lack of a Trinity type system really limits how interesting your PvE encounters can be. Wildstar has that GW2 type combat but with the Trinity and despite the game being hot garbage overall the bosses were pretty cool in dungeons and raids.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rylek posted:

I agree with all of this. For all the cool things GW2 has done it has also proven that the lack of a Trinity type system really limits how interesting your PvE encounters can be. Wildstar has that GW2 type combat but with the Trinity and despite the game being hot garbage overall the bosses were pretty cool in dungeons and raids.

My favorite part of GW2 was running back to all the boss fights over and over and over.

The Moon Monster posted:

The game was ruined by the plummeting population and extreme grind, unfortunately. But yeah, it did a several things better than any MMO has since.

They gave Order side attack speed buffs, which boosted the highest source of dmg in the entire game by 100%. Destruction never got one in till the Chopper and Blackguard classes were released. With the random drop Land of the Dead weapon, you could crit both of the double hit and do 2k dmg as a tank. In a game that most of everyone had about 3k hp.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 24, 2015

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Tenzarin posted:

They gave Order side attack speed buffs, which boosted the highest source of dmg in the entire game by 100%. Destruction never got one in till the Chopper and Blackguard classes were released. With the random drop Land of the Dead weapon, you could crit both of the double hit and do 2k dmg as a tank. In a game that most of everyone had about 3k hp.

I remember a friend of mine bitching that Bright Wizards apparently could easily 3v1 or more equally geared groups of Chaos pvpers, not sure if that's true or not but holy poo poo that's a dumb idea to not share or mirror classed between sides.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Rylek posted:

no they were not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Deki posted:

I remember a friend of mine bitching that Bright Wizards apparently could easily 3v1 or more equally geared groups of Chaos pvpers, not sure if that's true or not but holy poo poo that's a dumb idea to not share or mirror classed between sides.

Bright wizards could combo their spells and do insane damage. I don't remember what they did but it was a combination of dots and insta-casts and that they never really had to not be always running. I lvl mine 30-40 in battlegrounds because I could burn people down.

Of all the classes I played no other class could lvl 30-40 in battlegrounds. A healer could barely do it because they could hide and just use a group heals. But melee and weak ranged couldn't do the damage to kill people without getting smashed by lvl 40s.

In the beta, Mythic decided that everyone was going to be Chaos classes, so they tipped Order classes with some better stuff. They loving tipped the game upside down.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 24, 2015

• Locked thread