Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Wine is literally bombs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Karma Monkey posted:

:stare: I knew the French were serious about their wine, but drat.

You have no idea. Wine and food are basically France's religion.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

13Pandora13 posted:

This sounds mega gross I'm going to go buy a bottle and drink it tonight with the finest Chipotle burrito.

M'goons

(it's not something I'll buy again but I've had worse, and I don't blame the French for telling them they can't call it champagne)

(edit)

The only champagne glass I have is the gooniest thing ever. :iamafag:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

13Pandora13 posted:

M'goons

(it's not something I'll buy again but I've had worse, and I don't blame the French for telling them they can't call it champagne)

(edit)

Why do Chipotle have an aziz Ansari quote on their bag?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Aesop Poprock posted:

They have stupid bad quotes from different people on their bags, it's just something they do.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't know, and I'm not clear as to why that particular quote is suitable to a bag of food.

The more I drink of this almond wine the worse it gets. It's way too goddamn sweet.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

13Pandora13 posted:

I don't know, and I'm not clear as to why that particular quote is suitable to a bag of food.

The more I drink of this almond wine the worse it gets. It's way too goddamn sweet.

Does it taste very almond-y? I don't think I'll ever try any, as I'm sure most of us won't, so please give a detailed account. Did it go well with the Chipotle?

13Pandora13 posted:

That is pretty much the perfect glass for that meal.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

FrozenVent posted:

You have no idea. Wine and food are basically France's religion.

Charles de Gaulle famously lamented the difficulties of governing a nation with two hundred and forty-six types of cheese.

I once asked for a medium-rare steak in Paris and the waiter looked at me like I'd asked him to take a poo poo on my plate. He went in the back to argue loudly with the chef and finally brought out a steak which had been fried for all of thirty seconds on each side, which he slammed on the table with a 'loving English tourist' glare. Do not gently caress with a Frenchman's food.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Wait what is the proper doneness of a steak in France

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

In my experience, "bleu", which is a step or two below rare. Not quite tartare, but "slightly warm and still mooing" isn't far off

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
Raw and minced with an egg yolk on top :france:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

AnonSpore posted:

You take the cow into the kitchen, show it the frying pan, let it scream for a bit, then bring it out.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

wyntyr posted:

In my experience, "bleu", which is a step or two below rare. Not quite tartare, but "slightly warm and still mooing" isn't far off

Oh okay that sounds good. I was afraid it would be well done or something equally suited to the unnervingness of this thread.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Karma Monkey posted:

Does it taste very almond-y? I don't think I'll ever try any, as I'm sure most of us won't, so please give a detailed account. Did it go well with the Chipotle?

That is pretty much the perfect glass for that meal.

The almond is more of an aftertaste - it comes on like a fizzy moscato and ends almond. I think the base is Chardonnay but it tastes sweeter than any Chardonnay I've ever had. I don't think it'd work in a mimosa and I definitely think it's something middle class women who want to try something "interesting" would enjoy.

I put it on roughly the same classiness level of Chipotle and a Mr. Skeltal champagne glass.

It paired okay with a black bean, brown rice, and chicken burrito. A beer would have been better.

wyntyr posted:

This is the only correct way to eat a steak. :colbert:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

13Pandora13 posted:

This is the only correct way to eat a steak. :colbert:

I'll stick with chicken.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Not gonna lie, we just ordered a massive pizza but I'm still jealous of that burrito. We're pairing our greasy pizza with a brut, though. 'Cause it's our anniversary. Classy.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

There's a quality of writing out of Florida's Bay-area papers. Longform.org reprinted this Sunday, about the investigation into the murders of three Ohio women whose bodies were found in the water in 1989.

This is absolutely fantastic (and sad/depressing) for anyone who likes true crime stuff. The writing style reminds me of the book The Wire is based on. In 2014 DNA evidence proved that the guy who committed the murders also murdered another woman whose death was previously unexplained since 1990.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

darkwasthenight posted:

Charles de Gaulle famously lamented the difficulties of governing a nation with two hundred and forty-six types of cheese.

That number seems low.

darkwasthenight posted:

I once asked for a medium-rare steak in Paris

What is wrong with you?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Olewithmilk posted:

This is absolutely fantastic (and sad/depressing) for anyone who likes true crime stuff. The writing style reminds me of the book The Wire is based on. In 2014 DNA evidence proved that the guy who committed the murders also murdered another woman whose death was previously unexplained since 1990.

That's good news--I ordered the book last week (thanks thread!) and haven't cracked it open yet. That longform story was fascinating and I look forward to reading more similar writing.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

FrozenVent posted:

What is wrong with you?

English. Pardon.

darkwasthenight has a new favorite as of 09:58 on Dec 31, 2015

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

13Pandora13 posted:

I put it on roughly the same classiness level of Chipotle and a Mr. Skeltal champagne glass.

drank mr skeltal

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
If you found the false memory discussion interesting, you should read "You are Not So Smart" and "You are Now Less Dumb" by David McRaney.

Both books are essentially enumerations of various ways in which our minds mess with us, e.g. causing false memories.

There's a chapter mentioning Elizabeth Loftus and her work. In one experiment, people watched a video of a (pretend) crime, and were then told to pick the perpetrator from a line-up of suspects. Except the perpetrator wasn't really amongst those in the line-up.

Despite that, something like three quarters of the people there managed to pick someone from the line-up :v:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Stick Insect posted:

Despite that, something like three quarters of the people there managed to pick someone from the line-up :v:

So it was a trick? They probably picked the person that looked most like them. What did they expect? How are you going to trick someone and then be surprised that the outcome wasn't perfect?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I don't know if I'd call it a 'trick' if they're just recreating police methods and showing that more often than not, people are compelled to make something up due to the power of suggestion and the presence of an authority figure.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

darkwasthenight posted:

I once asked for a medium-rare steak in Paris and the waiter looked at me like I'd asked him to take a poo poo on my plate. He went in the back to argue loudly with the chef and finally brought out a steak which had been fried for all of thirty seconds on each side, which he slammed on the table with a 'loving English tourist' glare. Do not gently caress with a Frenchman's food.

my relatives look at me like I'm crazy when I want my steak "well done".

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
PYF Unnerving Steak Temperature

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Kurtofan posted:

my relatives look at me like I'm crazy when I want my steak "well done".

You're ruining an expensive cut of meat that way by overcooking it. Might as well dunk it in ketchup. Had a roommate who insisted on well done, he got a London broil while we got ribeyes. Don't burn good cuts of meat, dammit.

Medium-well is acceptable if you dun goofed and forgot to pull the steaks off, well done is "welp. dice this crap up and throw it in a batch of creole rice or something"

Rare/Medium Rare is probably the best way to have a steak. I've had Blue and Tartare and I wasn't feeling it. I'm guilty of dipping prime rib in a sour cream and horseradish sauce along with Au Jus.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
To illustrate the power of authority figures, this case was also in the book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_R._Stewart.

A guy calls a McDonalds and says he is a police officer, and that one of their employees is a suspect. During a phone call that lasts for hours, he gets employees to strip the "subject" and subject her to all sorts of terrible things. The employee who was on the phone even calls in her fiancee so he can continue abusing the "suspect" as she needed to get back to flipping burgers.

I think this case has been posted in this tread before, or a previous incarnation of it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I don't know if I'd call it a 'trick' if they're just recreating police methods and showing that more often than not, people are compelled to make something up due to the power of suggestion and the presence of an authority figure.

I guess I'm asking whether they told the people "Choose the perpetrator from this line-up if he's present", rather than implying the perpetrator was present and just saying "which of these guys is the perp?"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

RCarr posted:

I guess I'm asking whether they told the people "Choose the perpetrator from this line-up if he's present", rather than implying the perpetrator was present and just saying "which of these guys is the perp?"

Find the study and read to see. Police don't say 'if s/he's present' so even if they left that out, it mimics the real world and exposes the shittiness of our ability to remember, which was the point of the statement.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Minarchist posted:

You're ruining an expensive cut of meat that way by overcooking it. Might as well dunk it in ketchup. Had a roommate who insisted on well done, he got a London broil while we got ribeyes. Don't burn good cuts of meat, dammit.
I don't even prefer well-done steak, but whenever these conversations start I get the urge to cook it that way just to spite all the snobs who think food isn't proper unless it's how THEY like it. Also, correctly cooked well-done steak is neither burned nor tough. If it's tough when you cook it that way, you're a lovely cook. It should be tender, juicy, dark brown on the outside and just barely turned to light brown in the center line.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
People creating elaborate identities around the foods they do/don't eat is honestly pretty unnerving. Why do they have such a desperate need to feel superior to someone just because they like/dislike broccoli?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ArchangeI posted:

People creating elaborate identities around the foods they do/don't eat is honestly pretty unnerving. Why do they have such a desperate need to feel superior to someone just because they like/dislike broccoli?

People do this with literally anything that has to do with existing or living. But yeah its hard to read anyone (especially on SA) telling other people the right way to eat food without rolling my eyes. I like a rare steak and a medium rare burger but I'd never talk down to someone like the way they consume nourishment is objectively worse than mine

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

pookel posted:

I don't even prefer well-done steak, but whenever these conversations start I get the urge to cook it that way just to spite all the snobs who think food isn't proper unless it's how THEY like it. Also, correctly cooked well-done steak is neither burned nor tough. If it's tough when you cook it that way, you're a lovely cook. It should be tender, juicy, dark brown on the outside and just barely turned to light brown in the center line.

Yeah, if someone enjoys their food a certain way, let 'em have it.

...especially since I cook all of my meat sous-vide and rare is overcooked. :smug:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Stick Insect posted:

To illustrate the power of authority figures, this case was also in the book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_R._Stewart.

A guy calls a McDonalds and says he is a police officer, and that one of their employees is a suspect. During a phone call that lasts for hours, he gets employees to strip the "subject" and subject her to all sorts of terrible things. The employee who was on the phone even calls in her fiancee so he can continue abusing the "suspect" as she needed to get back to flipping burgers.

I think this case has been posted in this tread before, or a previous incarnation of it.

I had heard they had a suspect, but I had no idea the guy got acquitted. At least the calls have apparently stopped.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Yea, people can remember memories pretty early still no matter what they say.

I remember seeing my sister for the first time after she was born and I was 2 and a half. My mom's tit was hanging out to breastfeed and it shocked me. I don't think that's a fake memory my parents instilled in me.

Yeah, I have the briefest memory of being in a crib at my grandparents' house where we lived when I was ~2 years old.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Nah.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
God loving dammit did you loving goons have to bring the steak derail into this thread of all loving threads

Look I don't have anything uniquely/newly creepy or unnerving off the top of my head but here's the black box site again: http://www.planecrashinfo.com/lastwords.htm

I've had a few times where I've been in a really morbid mood and gone through a bunch of these; by now I've probably rounded the whole list twice. The ones where you can hear the warning system give me chills more than any other; something about the detached, repeating "WOOP WOOP--PULL UP. WOOP WOOP--PULL UP" gives me goosebumps.

On the more uplifting side, I'm also always filled with an immense respect for the flight crew who get into terrible, often unrecoverable situations, and even though their voices are taut with the strain of fighting off impending death, they're (mostly) keeping it together to a heroic degree to try every last option to keep their craft and passengers in the air. Some of them lose composure, sure, but nowhere to the degree the average person might, and even if they did, who could blame em? These always leave me with a lot of conflicted feelings.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

God loving dammit did you loving goons have to bring the steak derail into this thread of all loving threads

Look I don't have anything uniquely/newly creepy or unnerving off the top of my head but here's the black box site again: http://www.planecrashinfo.com/lastwords.htm

I've had a few times where I've been in a really morbid mood and gone through a bunch of these; by now I've probably rounded the whole list twice. The ones where you can hear the warning system give me chills more than any other; something about the detached, repeating "WOOP WOOP--PULL UP. WOOP WOOP--PULL UP" gives me goosebumps.

On the more uplifting side, I'm also always filled with an immense respect for the flight crew who get into terrible, often unrecoverable situations, and even though their voices are taut with the strain of fighting off impending death, they're (mostly) keeping it together to a heroic degree to try every last option to keep their craft and passengers in the air. Some of them lose composure, sure, but nowhere to the degree the average person might, and even if they did, who could blame em? These always leave me with a lot of conflicted feelings.

I recall an interview with a pilot of some crazy crash who basically said that even when they're stressed, they kind of zone in on solving the problem and usually have tons of hours practicing that pilot voice, so they sound calmer than they actually are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Minarchist posted:

Medium-well is acceptable if you dun goofed and forgot to pull the steaks off, well done is "welp. dice this crap up and throw it in a batch of creole rice or something"

Rare/Medium Rare is probably the best way to have a steak. I've had Blue and Tartare and I wasn't feeling it. I'm guilty of dipping prime rib in a sour cream and horseradish sauce along with Au Jus.

I don't think I'm ruining anything if I prefer it like that :shrug: