Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Have you seen Last Christmas? It remains to be seen what happens next of course, but the ending of that was such an inspiringly hopeful and positive thing from the characters it left me wondering if it marks a turning point for the Doctor's demeanor going forward.

I hope so, but we'll wait and see. If I remember right that very episode features the doctor not bothering to remember the people hes helpings names or faces because hes just not interested in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
People project an awful lot onto Capaldi's character because he makes rude comments and is socially incompetent. Throughout the series he shows a passion for learning and new experiences and multiple times has risked his life needlessly to save people, but he doesn't take a personal interest in people all the time and called a soldier a meat head, so people are turned off by him who weren't turned off by Ten condemning the family of blood to eternal living hells.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

2house2fly posted:

People project an awful lot onto Capaldi's character because he makes rude comments and is socially incompetent. Throughout the series he shows a passion for learning and new experiences and multiple times has risked his life needlessly to save people, but he doesn't take a personal interest in people all the time and called a soldier a meat head, so people are turned off by him who weren't turned off by Ten condemning the family of blood to eternal living hells.

He's also not pretty.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope Twelve ends up with Rusty and Kroton as companions so he can describe them as his "tin foil pal and a pedal bin".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Angela Christine posted:

He's also not pretty.

Says who? :colbert:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Would.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

2house2fly posted:

I thought Ten was a shithead and the worst Doctor yet, but I still don't like Capaldi's doctor for all the reasons SIKboy said. I don't mind socially incompetent or even plain old rude, but Twelve often comes off as flat out cruel.

I too hope that he mellows the gently caress out next series.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It's Edwina Currie's more attractive sister.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Barry Foster posted:

I thought Ten was a shithead and the worst Doctor yet, but I still don't like Capaldi's doctor for all the reasons SIKboy said. I don't mind socially incompetent or even plain old rude, but Twelve often comes off as flat out cruel.

I too hope that he mellows the gently caress out next series.

I don't really remember him being cruel, could you give ten examples?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

2house2fly posted:

I still think it's a valid interpretation to read Twelve as mildly autistic. He's got that approach of caring but being unable/unwilling to express it, getting overfocused on something so much that he stops paying attention to other people and things, all that.

I know some autistic traits have often been part of the Doctor, but Twelve's got them especially heavily.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

2house2fly posted:

I don't really remember him being cruel, could you give ten examples?

OK, perhaps 'cruel' is too strong - 'callous' is probably better.

It isn't so much that he doesn't take an interest in people, it's that he so often seems to feel this weird need to remind them how much he doesn't care, and how unimportant they are. I mean, maybe I'm just an idiot who's missing some deep subtextual characterisation going on, but as SIKboy said, half the time he seems to act as if adventuring, talking to people, or doing pretty much anything is just a massive chore. Which is why when he gets 'softer' moments like the 'do you really think I care so little' speech, they come off, to me, as weird and unearned.

Cleretic posted:

I still think it's a valid interpretation to read Twelve as mildly autistic. He's got that approach of caring but being unable/unwilling to express it, getting overfocused on something so much that he stops paying attention to other people and things, all that.

I know some autistic traits have often been part of the Doctor, but Twelve's got them especially heavily.

I've worked with quite a few autistic people, and while they're definitely way into their own thing and have a lot of trouble expressing emotion, they've always been gentle, earnest and studiously unaggressive. That isn't to say that that's the case for all autistic people; but it is to say that Twelve could have easily embodied those parts of the Doctor without cracking jokes about people's friends dying.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Personally I think he's just old and a little fed up with observing social niceties, and it's made pretty obvious on multiple occasions that he still cares deeply. His bit to Clara about doing what must be done at the end of Mummy is a pretty good encapsulation of the kind of person he is, and the lengths he is willing to go to.... but that doesn't mean he is callous or cruel.

With Clara he says mean things but they never come across as malicious, more like somebody who is so comfortable with his friend that he feels he doesn't need to walk around them on eggshells for fear of offending them - they're a little on-the-nose about it in Deep Breath but basically the Doctor trusts/respects/likes Clara enough not to put on a show/character for her and just pretty much be himself. That himself turns out to be a slightly crotchety old man who gets easily miffed at human beings actually has a fair amount in common with the Hartnell era, as well as elements of the Pertwee era that Capaldi more obviously apes in terms of his look.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerusalem posted:

Personally I think he's just old and a little fed up with observing social niceties, and it's made pretty obvious on multiple occasions that he still cares deeply. His bit to Clara about doing what must be done at the end of Mummy is a pretty good encapsulation of the kind of person he is, and the lengths he is willing to go to.... but that doesn't mean he is callous or cruel.

Yeah I see this a bunch with old people, and I know a bunch of old researchers in particular. They're not trying to be cruel but they've had bullshit thrown at them for decades so they just want to get back to what they do.

Though if they really wanted to capture that they'd have Capaldi do the same rant about Daleks every 3 episodes, regardless if they were in the episode or not. :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Barry Foster posted:

I've worked with quite a few autistic people, and while they're definitely way into their own thing and have a lot of trouble expressing emotion, they've always been gentle, earnest and studiously unaggressive. That isn't to say that that's the case for all autistic people; but it is to say that Twelve could have easily embodied those parts of the Doctor without cracking jokes about people's friends dying.

I can certainly see that, being autistic myself and having associated with a number of people who are (this might in fact be why I thought of it), but I'd say it's still sort of present. The less passive ones can be very much like Twelve, annoying and hurting people without necessarily realizing they are (and not wanting to, of course).

'Old pissed-off professor' is probably a more accurate perception of him, but I still quite like the autistic view of it, if only because it would mean there's a depiction of an autistic person in pop culture that's more positive than Sheldon.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Cleretic posted:

'Old pissed-off professor' is probably a more accurate perception of him, but I still quite like the autistic view of it, if only because it would mean there's a depiction of an autistic person in pop culture that's more positive than Sheldon.

Literally anything would be more positive than that trainwreck of a depiction. RAIN MAN is more positive, and that's saying something.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Clarkson?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

It's Edwina Currie's more attractive sister.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

Yeah I see this a bunch with old people, and I know a bunch of old researchers in particular. They're not trying to be cruel but they've had bullshit thrown at them for decades so they just want to get back to what they do.

Though if they really wanted to capture that they'd have Capaldi do the same rant about Daleks every 3 episodes, regardless if they were in the episode or not. :v:

I would be A OK with this. Random Dalek ranting every episode I say!

I think we've gotten to the point with the Daleks and the Doctor that they should either make out or use one anothers names as curse words.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Burkion posted:

I would be A OK with this. Random Dalek ranting every episode I say!

I think we've gotten to the point with the Daleks and the Doctor that they should either make out or use one anothers names as curse words.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
More Doctor Who suggestions please :getin:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Meglos. On account of I looked up and that's the first DVD that caught my eye.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Mawdryn Undead.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Go with the Seventh Doctor Cyberman story

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Inferno

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Meglos. On account of I looked up and that's the first DVD that caught my eye.

Meglos Basil, RIP

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You know what modern Who needs? More crazy old men in hoods like the original run has every other story

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You know what all of Who needs? Less of Meglos.

There are worse stories than Meglos. There are loads of worse stories than Meglos. But basically everything in Meglos is such a rubbish version of what people expect from Doctor Who in every way.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

It isn't so much that he doesn't take an interest in people, it's that he so often seems to feel this weird need to remind them how much he doesn't care, and how unimportant they are.

EmoDoc :emo:

That's a good point, he does have a habit of over-emphasising how he doesn't care. That and his put-downs to Clara are the weak links in his character really, though the latter's probably done with now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You know what all of Who needs? Less of Meglos.

There are worse stories than Meglos. There are loads of worse stories than Meglos. But basically everything in Meglos is such a rubbish version of what people expect from Doctor Who in every way.

Meglos was originally going to be the villain upstairs in "The Lodger". The idea was that he had come to Earth to finally get revenge on the Doctor, only to discover in the climax that the Doctor doesn't remember him. Meglos tries to remind him, but he's such a non entity that the Doctor can't even remember defeating him.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

2house2fly posted:

That and his put-downs to Clara are the weak links in his character really, though the latter's probably done with now.

The put-downs to Clara kind of gained a new texture for me toward the end of the Christmas episode when he genuinely couldn't tell if she was an old woman or not.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Silver Nemesis

is bad

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 24, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Silver Nemesis is bad

I can't dispute that at all, there is no argument I can make, no defense I can muster - it IS bad.

And yet somehow, for some reason that I cannot understand myself, I still like it :shobon:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Silver Nemesis is the first Seventh Doctor story my wife encountered. Took me awhile to get her to watch another.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's essentially a straight rerun of Remembrance, down to lines about Ace not having any explosives on her. Ace even has a line about how similar the plots were.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

MrL_JaKiri posted:

time flight

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I'm watching the Fourth Doctor stories in order now which means I'm watching Revenge of the Cybermen just after Genesis of the Daleks. Talk about whiplash

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm really enjoying the First Doctor stuff now. If I wanted to kind of do a chronological abridged watch of his stuff, what stories would people recommend? I'd like to stick to things that do world-building/important character development, or particularly good serials. Also, I'm avoiding all reconstructions for now*.

For instance, it seems like The Sensorites talks a little bit about The Doctor and Susan's homeworld (even if it's all been retconned or whatever), but The Keys of Marinus isn't really important to anything so I might skip it unless it's super awesome.

* Though I might do Galaxy 4 for giggles until I get bored because of Capaldi's Chumblies joke. Also maybe The Tenth Planet because it's a regeneration and only one is missing.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 24, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
MARCO POLO MARCO POLO (mostly recon)

THE MYTH MAKERS (recon only, sadly)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
So I know that whole Goon wiki thing fell through, but in its stead maybe we can go raid Zimbabwe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jsor posted:

Also maybe The Tenth Planet because it's a regeneration and only one is missing.

If you don't want to do fan reconstructions, there are a number of official ones too - there have been DVD releases of stories with missing episodes where they animated episodes to go with the audio (which exists for all episodes), including The Tenth Planet.

• Locked thread