Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

SelenicMartian posted:

Plebs are needed!

How is Lethis, by the way?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/359230/

Steampunk going strong in TYOOL 2015. :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Is there a mod that fixes the population aging curve to be less unnaturally fast or more varied? I'm tired of death waves halting my city's progress when the civs decide to die all at once because I built lots of stuff at one time in years past.

edit: Oh this isn't the modding thread. Well either way, how do I combat death waves? Is there a way to other than building your city at a snail's pace?

Yeah, you want this.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=421188880

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

prussian advisor posted:

I actually wound up restarting and trying to take a more sensible approach. Using regular two-lane roads, carefully watching the demand levels, growing cautiously so as not to overextend myself. I hadn't realized what an absurd cash cow commercial zones are, they're maybe 25% of the land area of my city but generate like half of the taxes. New city is humming along nicely at around 2,200 with no real problems yet. I have the option of annexing new territory if I want to but I can hardly see a need, since I'm barely using most of the land I already have.

Thoughts on parks in general? I slapped one down in the middle of my residential zone hoping it would have a positive effect on property values but I haven't really noticed much of a difference. Also, I'm deliberately trying to avoid the next growth milestone (at 2,400) to build up my bank account and coast for awhile, but people are whining about high rent on social media. Is there any backlash for not building residential territory when the residential demand is high?

Parks are great for boosting land values and keeping people happy...but they also take away from Commercial demand. It's not as bad as it used to be where your commercial zones would wither and die if you built more than a few parks, but it will still slow down growth in commercial zones if you build too many. I don't find them to be all that necessary until you start building up high density zones and getting residential to the top two or three levels of development. Also they're necessary if you ever want to see level 3 offices. And don't hold off on growth milestones for cash reasons, you get a big lump sum of cash every time you hit one. Also IIRC 2400 is the one that unlocks the second loan, which has much more favorable terms than the first loan.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Baronjutter posted:

Caesar style "walkers" instead of service radius? Man gently caress that I'm out.

Poil posted:

There are roadblocks you can put down to control how walkers move around the place so it's not as bad as it seems.

Pharaoh style "walkers" instead of service radius? Man gently caress that I'm out.

(not true I loved Pharaoh and will love it forever)

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

KKKlean Energy posted:

Pharaoh style "walkers" instead of service radius? Man gently caress that I'm out.

Got it off GoG a few years back, still owns bones.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

prussian advisor posted:

I actually wound up restarting and trying to take a more sensible approach. Using regular two-lane roads, carefully watching the demand levels, growing cautiously so as not to overextend myself. I hadn't realized what an absurd cash cow commercial zones are, they're maybe 25% of the land area of my city but generate like half of the taxes. New city is humming along nicely at around 2,200 with no real problems yet. I have the option of annexing new territory if I want to but I can hardly see a need, since I'm barely using most of the land I already have.

Thoughts on parks in general? I slapped one down in the middle of my residential zone hoping it would have a positive effect on property values but I haven't really noticed much of a difference. Also, I'm deliberately trying to avoid the next growth milestone (at 2,400) to build up my bank account and coast for awhile, but people are whining about high rent on social media. Is there any backlash for not building residential territory when the residential demand is high?

Also, take a gander at this. It's a traffic guide made by a real and proper traffic engineer, and while there's a lot of stuff there that relates to high-level cities, there's also tons of interesting and useful knowledge that you'll get a use for sooner or later.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

KKKlean Energy posted:

Roadblocks make games like this a lot more managable and less frustrating. I played some Sierra game that was basically Caesar in China and it was great. You still end up with boring rectangles anyway but... oh well.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Is there a mod that allows emergency services to go the wrong way on one way roads?

EDIT: And not the one that allows them to drive on pedestrian walkways. That's dumb.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Decrepus posted:

Roadblocks make games like this a lot more managable and less frustrating. I played some Sierra game that was basically Caesar in China and it was great. You still end up with boring rectangles anyway but... oh well.

Emperior: Rise of the Middle Kingdom was quite a bit of fun back in it's day. Took most of the refinements from the Caesar and Pharaoh games and built them into the final iteration of the Sierra city-building games; it was also the one game where I remember it being more about building your settlement and less about herding cats.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Poil posted:

I would like a steampunk themed expansion. Steam powered trains, steam powered ships, steam powered cars, steam powered airships, steam powered factories, steam powered chirper. and so on. Maybe it could include some dieselpunk, and atompunk and whaleoilpunk as well. But maybe a cyberpunk expansion would be more likely. That'd be pretty swell too.

If I knew a modicum of Skylines modding and knew how to crack open the relevant parts of the game, I'd swap the Chirper sound effect out for a short burst of morse code and make all the Chirper messages read like brief letters to the editor from a newspaper, or maybe a telegram.

If I knew a modicum of Skylines modding I'd swap the streetlights out for the lamps found in parks. That'd actually go a decent way towards making streets look older.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ofaloaf posted:

If I knew a modicum of Skylines modding and knew how to crack open the relevant parts of the game, I'd swap the Chirper sound effect out for a short burst of morse code and make all the Chirper messages read like brief letters to the editor from a newspaper, or maybe a telegram.
There was a mod that did that, but one of the recent patches broke it and I don't think it's been fixed since. :(

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Simcity But Good Picayune

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Emperior: Rise of the Middle Kingdom was quite a bit of fun back in it's day. Took most of the refinements from the Caesar and Pharaoh games and built them into the final iteration of the Sierra city-building games; it was also the one game where I remember it being more about building your settlement and less about herding cats.
Yes, and it was great. I especially liked the great works part with canals, the great wall, tombs, temples and palaces.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What are the important mods these days? I haven't played it since release, but the game seems more complete now. Tunnels! Mods that let you remove traffic lights and poo poo. What are the best ones?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Count Roland posted:

What are the important mods these days? I haven't played it since release, but the game seems more complete now. Tunnels! Mods that let you remove traffic lights and poo poo. What are the best ones?

Mod achievement enabler.
All spaces unlockable.
Traffic report tool (acts like SC4 route query).
Extended public transport UI.
Precision Engineering (lets you measure the exact angle and length of any road you lay down, INCREDIBLY useful).

None of these modes make the game easier per se, most just reveal a bit more information about what you're doing and allow you to be a bit more precise with how you manage traffic.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Count Roland posted:

Breetai listed some good ones.

Quality of life mods I like:

No More Purple Pollution- does what it sounds like.
Crossings- allows pedestrian walkways in the middle of streets without requiring an intersection. (Cims are goodytwoshoes and never jaywalk.)
Automatic Bulldoze- Gets rid of burned/abandoned buildings
SilenceObnoxiousSirens- eeeeoooooeeeoooooeeeoooo
Underground Power Cables 2.2- Doesn't replace power lines but adds an alternative to them

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Avocados posted:

Automatic Bulldoze- Gets rid of burned/abandoned buildings

....aaaaand subscribed. There's nothing I hated more both in SC4 and CS than constantly playing whack-a-mole with abandoned buildings.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

As always I will pimp my Starter City, for I enjoy self flagellation:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=437491709

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Efexeye posted:

As always I will pimp my Starter City, for I enjoy self flagellation:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=437491709

Gonna subscribe when I get home. I love CS but I hate building the foundation, especially because cities wont grow unless they're connected to a highway. I get some weird anxiety about making the perfect entrance to the city because it always becomes congested.

e: Also is there a mod for power-free water pumps/sewage spewers? I always have these wayyyyy far from my city and its a PITA to connect them with power lines when they require so little power to begin with.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What about Traffic ++, or Traffic Manager? These are the things that let you change lane priorities, remove lights?

I also saw a cool terraforming tool in a letsplay, the dude was raising and lowering terrain in-game, looked mighty handy.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Count Roland posted:

What about Traffic ++, or Traffic Manager? These are the things that let you change lane priorities, remove lights?

I also saw a cool terraforming tool in a letsplay, the dude was raising and lowering terrain in-game, looked mighty handy.
Traffic++ has more candy than Traffic Manager like bus lanes, speed limits, etc but it also uses more cpu (waiting for the performance update).

Traffic Manager is plenty since it has the three really important tools: manually editing intersection signage (so you can force traffic to use multiple lanes), removing traffic lights and toggling crosswalks.

Terraform tool is great and I wouldn't play without it anymore. Just be careful with water. Puddle in the middle of town can be a pain to drain.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Count Roland posted:

Full Refund Mod - Gives you back the exact amount spent on constructing a plopable building if you bulldoze it.
Any of Fishbus's buildings - because they're awesome.
Control Building Level Up - Takes things a step further than the "Skyscraper ban" neighborhood ordinance by letting you cap building's levels and prevent them from leveling up.
Chirpy Exterminator
Ground Level Camera
Slow Citizen Aging Configurable - Helps mitigate the infamous Death Wave that tends to hit high population cities.
Most of the ARIS mods (Hearse AI, Stuck Vehicle Remover, Garbage Truck AI, Overwatch, ect.)

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 24, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I love the SC3K News Ticker mod that replaces the dull C:S filler chirps with the much more amusing SC3K ones ("Broccoli discovered to be colonies of tiny aliens with murder on their minds"). I wish it chirped just a little less frequently, though.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Next time on Fringe...

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

a) how is that an ice cube factory

b) irony is cruel

Anyone who hasn't seen an ice cube factory burn down violently explode needs to go and watch The Mosquito Coast.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Avocados posted:

Gonna subscribe when I get home. I love CS but I hate building the foundation, especially because cities wont grow unless they're connected to a highway. I get some weird anxiety about making the perfect entrance to the city because it always becomes congested.

e: Also is there a mod for power-free water pumps/sewage spewers? I always have these wayyyyy far from my city and its a PITA to connect them with power lines when they require so little power to begin with.

I use this one: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=419052551

Tiny solar panel that will power a couple of pumps/drains.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ofaloaf posted:

Next time on Fringe...

Wow the moon has really gotten out of shape.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Full Refund Mod - Gives you back the exact amount spent on constructing a plopable building if you bulldoze it.
Any of Fishbus's buildings - because they're awesome.
Control Building Level Up - Takes things a step further than the "Skyscraper ban" neighborhood ordinance by letting you cap building's levels and prevent them from leveling up.
Chirpy Exterminator
Ground Level Camera
Slow Citizen Aging Configurable - Helps mitigate the infamous Death Wave that tends to hit high population cities.
Most of the ARIS mods (Hearse AI, Stuck Vehicle Remover, Garbage Truck AI, Overwatch, ect.)

Thanks, and thanks to the other goons too. Lots of these sound incredibly useful and seem to cover my early complaints with the game.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Re: mods, no pillars and fine road heights if you want to mess about with realistic looking freeways.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I recently put in some ore industry (alongside my much larger oil industry area) and now my oil industry is telling me it doesn't have enough raw materials and also my commercial services are saying they don't have enough products to sell.

Is it correct that before I put in the ore stuff, all of the raw materials was being shipped in? I'm not bothered about the ore revenue especially, I guess I could remove it but I'm wondering if that will put everything else out of business. I don't have any farms or lumber industry.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you didn't build the specialty stuff on the raw materials, or the raw materials ran out, the specialty stuff is going to suck up a ton of import capacity. I could see running out of import capacity, especially if you are playing on a custom map that didn't use a full allowance of external connections.

Alternatively make sure the new import volume didn't turn some part of your roads into a parking lot physically preventing imports from getting in because of traffic.

Do you have rail and ship terminals built yet? These tap different external connections and can overcome import or export walls at the cost of being a traffic bottleneck to plan around.

Or just tldr, specialty industry is sadly kind of crap outside of lumber and farms built in their respective resources so you can safely turn it all into general industry.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Roll specialized industry through their resource, get mad cash from it, then bulldoze it when they run out. Clear the land of resources before moving real city into it.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

So related to the ice cube factory chat earlier...

What do ice cube factories do that requires ore shipments from "Ur Uranium" ?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Dunno-Lars posted:

I see that you have discovered an undercover terrorist cell.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Dunno-Lars posted:

Death waves finally explained

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ice-nine was developed by the Manhattan Project wasn't it :tinfoil:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dunno-Lars posted:

Depleted Uranium Ice Cubes, for people who don't want ice floating on top of their drink.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Avocados posted:

Give them their own wind turbine. You don't need to use power lines.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Are they going to fix the godawful UI for modifying transit lines? Dealing with overlapping metro lines is awful.

Is there some convenient way of setting up intersecting stations of rail or metro that I'm missing? I know the lines can cross but it doesn't seem like you can bury one metro line deeper than another or have a multi-level station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dunno-Lars posted:

It powers the Ice Cube Production Engines. It's also incredibly volatile; what else do think would be behind all these hilarious ironic ice cube factory fires?