Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chromatic posted:

I'm only 10 minutes in and truth be told I kind of like this even though Thunderfoot is bad and not good.

I remember when gamergate was picking up steam and I had no idea what was going on so someone recommended me Thunderfoot as "He usually has a good take on things". So I go to his youtube page and the first video I see is "Why feminism poisons everything" and noped the gently caress out of there real quick.

Where is Hbomberguy to do another one to conclude the Owen/Aurini story? We're waiting. :colbert:

Yeah, no it takes a hard right turn into directly attacking Anita Sarkeesian around the 15 minute mark. Up till that point it's actually a fairly decent takedown of what giant, unprofessional, delusional, and borderline dangerous manchildren both Aurini and Owen are.

Though once it hits the pivot point, you realize that, oh, wait, Thunderf00t is also an unprofessional, misinformed, borderline dangerous manchild. He doesn't disagree with anything they're saying, he's just pissed that they're making people like him look bad by publicly sucking at what they do so much.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Yeah those parts are bad and although I have a few disagreements with Anita about certain things, her opposition says more for her cause than she ever could. She couldn't have asked for better opposition to Feminist Frequency.

Aside from the Anita parts, him just pasting clips one after the other of the hypocrisies, infighting, and general douchbaggery speak for themselves. Aurini thinking about hiring someone to go through her trash and coming to the conclusion that she had been raped by her father was just :stare:

I'm not kidding when I say Jordan Owen and Davis Aurini could join the cast of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and fit right in with no problem whatsoever.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 23, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jsor posted:

He's apparently moving over to Maker.tv and the Youtube thing is just a stopgap.

I find it kind of hilarious that Todd got on maker but it appears Doug didn't.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Looks more like Grant Morrison with a creepy uncle moustache.

Don't ruin Grant Morrison for me. :(

For those who dont know who Morrison is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV_S-nfgLq8

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, in the "looks like" stakes I always draw comparisons between Morrison and Alex MacQueen.

Alternatively, Mark Strong in Kingsman looked like Morrison after he upgraded to Super Saiyan.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Wheat Loaf posted:

after he upgraded to Super Saiyan.

how would we tell?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

how would we tell?

Eyebrows.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Chromatic posted:

Yeah those parts are bad and although I have a few disagreements with Anita about certain things, her opposition says more for her cause than she ever could. She couldn't have asked for better opposition to Feminist Frequency.

This must be a new nadir for this project. A new bottom of the Owen/Aurini barrel.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm bummed those MRAsterpiece Theatre muppets never really got a chance to shine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSLNvqajlNw

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Mokinokaro posted:

I find it kind of hilarious that Todd got on maker but it appears Doug didn't.

Doesn't Maker have some kind of clause that states that it owns any video that people put on it? Or were people exaggerating?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

Doesn't Maker have some kind of clause that states that it owns any video that people put on it? Or were people exaggerating?

I believe they do. They're much like Machina on Youtube where they essentially "buy" the content from creators using the ad view money.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, no it takes a hard right turn into directly attacking Anita Sarkeesian around the 15 minute mark. Up till that point it's actually a fairly decent takedown of what giant, unprofessional, delusional, and borderline dangerous manchildren both Aurini and Owen are.

Though once it hits the pivot point, you realize that, oh, wait, Thunderf00t is also an unprofessional, misinformed, borderline dangerous manchild. He doesn't disagree with anything they're saying, he's just pissed that they're making people like him look bad by publicly sucking at what they do so much.

Yeah as I said initially Thunderfoot is an rear end in a top hat but it's great to see GGers cannibalize each other. It was interesting that he came down pretty lightly on Jordan but absolutely raked Aurini over the coals with how bad his bullshit was.

What we really need at this point is a documentary called The Sarkeesian Effect Effect :colbert:

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Tracula posted:

Yeah as I said initially Thunderfoot is an rear end in a top hat but it's great to see GGers cannibalize each other. It was interesting that he came down pretty lightly on Jordan but absolutely raked Aurini over the coals with how bad his bullshit was.

What we really need at this point is a documentary called The Sarkeesian Effect Effect :colbert:

I think it was because Jordan always came across as dumb and misguided but was never that malicious. Aurini comes across as an evil end boss from a late 80's NES game. I've only seen a limited amount of these two so I could be wrong.

I honestly felt bad for Owen after Aurini spilled the beans that he was suffering from an anxiety disorder and was on serious medication for it.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Tracula posted:

And then I'll crowdsource a documentary about how evil feminists are evilly sowing discourse amongst The Brotherhood, turning us against each other like apples in the garden, and ruining the world by ruining us!

I'll call it The Sarkeesian Effect Effect Effect

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Thanks to anyone and everyone who helped contribute to the Blip.tv preservation effort. It looks like almost every video was saved and they will be making their way onto the Internet Archive over the next few months (there's over 210 terabytes of data to process!). In the mean time, my offer to share any video I've saved in my personal collection still stands if you are looking for something specific.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

Thanks to anyone and everyone who helped contribute to the Blip.tv preservation effort. It looks like almost every video was saved and they will be making their way onto the Internet Archive over the next few months (there's over 210 terabytes of data to process!). In the mean time, my offer to share any video I've saved in my personal collection still stands if you are looking for something specific.

That's really incredible. I am so happy that the internet was able to save so much stuff.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Chromatic posted:

I think it was because Jordan always came across as dumb and misguided but was never that malicious. Aurini comes across as an evil end boss from a late 80's NES game. I've only seen a limited amount of these two so I could be wrong.

I honestly felt bad for Owen after Aurini spilled the beans that he was suffering from an anxiety disorder and was on serious medication for it.

I got that vibe from Owen as well. He's not anyone I'd ever want as a friend but I could him being a decent human being in some reality or different path. I can watch him and roll my eyes but loving Aurini, man. Just seeing him makes my skin crawl and he's the sort of crazy that most MRAs and red pillers don't even wanna associate with. If Thunderfoot is throwing you under the bus you know you hosed up.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Owen seems like the big nerd who would just post poo poo on the internet about people at work but still behave himself at work. Aurini seems like a mall food court shooter or somebody brought down by police after killing an ex and barricading himself in the house.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Mr.Radar posted:

I was looking at the Blip tracker and I'm not sure what it's doing now. I thought it finished.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was looking at the Blip tracker and I'm not sure what it's doing now. I thought it finished.

The blip server itself is still up so Maker can transfer stuff over.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

Right now they're scraping user profiles. Most of them are empty so they go pretty fast.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Tracula posted:

Now I feel kind of bad that Hbomberguy left the thread. :smith:
If you're out there lurking and ever in need of !!!$15,000 DOLLARS$!!! you know what to do.

Chromatic posted:

Aurini comes across as an evil end boss from a late 80's NES game.

This is super accurate.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This is from a few pages back:

A good poster posted:

As an absolute last resort, he could just go back to written reviews, couldn't he?

With copyright always going to be an issue for Internet Reviewers, I'm wondering if this isn't something that might eventually happen for some of those critics. Unless you get another Blip that drags its heels on copyright poo poo to come along, the very act of putting video clips of someone else's product into your video reviews is going to be a constant Sword of Damocles hanging over your content's head. Maybe written reviews (or audio-based ones?) could be an alternative?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

With copyright always going to be an issue for Internet Reviewers, I'm wondering if this isn't something that might eventually happen for some of those critics. Unless you get another Blip that drags its heels on copyright poo poo to come along, the very act of putting video clips of someone else's product into your video reviews is going to be a constant Sword of Damocles hanging over your content's head. Maybe written reviews (or audio-based ones?) could be an alternative?

SF Debris mentioned looking into self-hosting his videos but apparently his videos alone use over 100 TB of data per month which he got quoted at $9k (each month). I'm sure that within 10 years those costs will come down to a reasonable amount and people who want to skirt copyright can just self-host. Alternatively reviewers could just publish their content via BitTorrent to spread out the bandwidth use, though obviously that would have a negative impact on viewership.

Edit: I got that from this video but on listening to it again it doesn't sound like he was specifically self-hosting but rather paying for space on an existing video host. Either way 100 TB is still a lot for now.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 23, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chromatic posted:

Pretty much everything I've seen of either of them comes from folks like Hbomberguy and the like just using their own quotes against them, so I don't know if Owen has said anything gobsmackingly gross like Aurini does on a daily basis.

And from the limited amount I've seen (and ever want to see of them), Owen's just a dirty, awkward nerd who doesn't like ladies and can only seem to interact with them in strictly controlled environments ("My favorite stripper down at Tattletails..."), while Aurini seems like a genuinely vicious, vile man with a lot of issues ("I'm a White Nationalist on paper").

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I used to like Thunderfoot back when he just made fun of creationists. Guess that well ran dry a long time ago.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember Chris-Chan's various tormentors once tricked her into thinking that Thunderf00t was actually one of the chief trolls in disguise.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Folding Ideas has all his stuff up on YouTube now, Go watch him! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCyNtlmLB73-7gtlBz00XOQQ

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MisterBibs posted:

In an ideal world, copyright law would be reformed because its current state is utterly loving ridiculous. I'm not really holding out much hope for that, however.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cubey posted:

In an ideal world, copyright law would be reformed because its current state is utterly loving ridiculous. I'm not really holding out much hope for that, however.

It's almost a discussion for another thread, but any realistic copyright system isn't going to tolerate the kind of stuff your average Internet Critic does. Whether you're splicing in clips of yourself talking in between the movie or overlaying your voice over the movie, it's still not going to fly in most video-playing systems in 2015.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why did they let Siskel and Ebert do it for so long? Because the studios and the networks were owned by the same parent companies?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Jack Gladney posted:

Why did they let Siskel and Ebert do it for so long? Because the studios and the networks were owned by the same parent companies?

Using a hell of a lot less original, unedited footage I assume.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr.Radar posted:

SF Debris mentioned looking into self-hosting his videos but apparently his videos alone use over 100 TB of data per month which he got quoted at $9k (each month). I'm sure that within 10 years those costs will come down to a reasonable amount and people who want to skirt copyright can just self-host. Alternatively reviewers could just publish their content via BitTorrent to spread out the bandwidth use, though obviously that would have a negative impact on viewership.

Edit: I got that from this video but on listening to it again it doesn't sound like he was specifically self-hosting but rather paying for space on an existing video host. Either way 100 TB is still a lot for now.
He did post this encouraging thing a few days back:

quote:

Charles Sonnenburg ‏@sfdebris Aug 20

All the old videos will indeed be back.

9jack9
Jan 13, 2015

Jack Gladney posted:

Siskel and Ebert were operating well within the law. Reviewers on youtube and other video sites are within the law (assuming they only use limited material for review/educational purposes) and the studios have no interest in suppressing film critics. They're only interest is in real piracy and reviews just get caught up in the dragnet.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

9jack9 posted:

Siskel and Ebert were operating well within the law. Reviewers on youtube and other video sites are within the law (assuming they only use limited material for review/educational purposes) and the studios have no interest in suppressing film critics. They're only interest is in real piracy and reviews just get caught up in the dragnet.

This. The entire problem is that reviews are entirely legal (at least in the RLM using-only-media-reviewed style, the old school Nostalgia Critic rapid-fire-clips-from-random-poo poo is a lot iffier), but systems like ContentID are built to catch the people uploading entire movies and tv series to YouTube, a thing which absolutely happens. The problem, ultimately, is trying to automate a process inherently dependent upon human judgement; even if so far I, in my personal experience, have found the dispute system to be completely adequate at addressing this.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
A big part of the problem is that right now, ContentID is setup to cater towards the companies, and will act on their instructions, so we get situations like Nintendo putting ads on everything that features their games, regardless of context, and anyone who gets a strike against them will have basically no real, workable method of fighting back, even and especially when they're completely in the right.

Meanwhile pirate videos of movies and tv shows run rampant because they're all on dummy accounts, if one gets taken down it's back up in a couple hours on another account because creating an account is still free, uploading videos is still free, you can do it as many times as you want and when you're caught, big whoop, make another account.

So ContentID is only ever screwing over people who want to keep their accounts in good standing, while people who actually are breaking the law are basically unaffected.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It's also important to keep in mind that YouTube is probably as draconian as they are with their content-ID to prevent a massive lawsuit that would basically force them to pre-approve any video that is uploaded, essentially destroying YouTube as it is now.

e X fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 24, 2015

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

e X posted:

It's Lso important to keep in mind that YouTube is probably as draconian with their content-ID to prevent a massive lawsuit that would basically force them to pre-approve any video that is uploaded, essentially destroying YouTube as it is now.

As far as I understand, all they need to qualify as a "safe harbor" under the DMCA and be immune from direct litigation about copyright-violating hosted content is to have some system to take down content after a formally valid takedown notice from a copyright provider. Working proactively is entirely their own choice.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember Chris-Chan's various tormentors once tricked her into thinking that Thunderf00t was actually one of the chief trolls in disguise.

Not entirely incorrect anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Idran posted:

As far as I understand, all they need to qualify as a "safe harbor" under the DMCA and be immune from direct litigation about copyright-violating hosted content is to have some system to take down content after a formally valid takedown notice from a copyright provider. Working proactively is entirely their own choice.

This sounds extremely dubious, since I'm sure if such a DMCA provision existed then Megaupload would still be around.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Meanwhile pirate videos of movies and tv shows run rampant because they're all on dummy accounts, if one gets taken down it's back up in a couple hours on another account because creating an account is still free, uploading videos is still free, you can do it as many times as you want and when you're caught, big whoop, make another account.

Stuff like this is probably what's going to spell the end of internet anonymity. I think we're probably less than 10 years out from the majority of mainstream sites requiring a unified real-name-based login. You're seeing it already with Facebook login being an option in more and more places, and if internet harassment continues to escalate as an issue, it will eventually just be something that people want.

• Locked thread