Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's arguably the highlight of the entire series, so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Average Bear posted:

I never played the DLC of DS1 (because how the hell was I supposed to find it). Is it worth the time to play through

It is the best content in the series.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

poptart_fairy posted:

FROM's always been weird about NPC enemies. In Bloodborne they've just been given maxed out stats, infinite stamina, infinite ammo and left at that.

Why keep track of things you don't have to and most people frankly won't notice? It saves on RAM, the limitations of having low amounts of such they were made painfully aware of in Dark Souls II.

The PS4 should have plenty, but old habits die hard.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Average Bear posted:

I never played the DLC of DS1 (because how the hell was I supposed to find it). Is it worth the time to play through

It is easily the best content in the game. 3 of the 4 boss fights are the best in the game, with the introductory one being so-so.

If you do a little something out of the way in the DLC, you make the boss fight against Sif a little more special.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm a long-time Souls veterean and Artorias and Manus are some of the most frenetic fights in the game, even when you are overleveled as poo poo and full of supplies. They are great. Still gotta fight Kalameet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kalameet and Sinh are both really fun to fight once you know how.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

It is the best content in the series.

The forest isn't that fun tbh, but it does have some of the best boss fights in the series for sure. Also some of the hardest.

uh, and the chimera is also there

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I like fighting Sir Alonne and Blue Smelter myself. My all-element fist does basically no damage to them, so it's always a race to see who croaks first.

(It's usually me, because I insist on finishing with some fancy move or another and botch the execution.)

Honestly though, the best fight is still Artorias. If you are sufficiently composed you can just step away from all his attacks except the leap, which is a pinnacle of style only matched by cutting off Kalameet's tail in one Sunlight Spear.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

The forest isn't that fun tbh, but it does have some of the best boss fights in the series for sure. Also some of the hardest.

uh, and the chimera is also there

The Royal Wood is nothing special, but I thought it was fairly enjoyable. Oolacile proper is definitely when it kicks into full gear, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alonne is super fun and also easy enough that you could conceivably get his special death animation without being some kind of savant. He's a different kind of fun from Artorias though; Artorias is just nuts. He was pretty frustrating until I figured him out, but he is definitively the best boss fight in the series and probably one of the best boss fights in any game I've ever played. He is brutal on your first try though.

Kalameet is the best dragon fight in the series as well. The Ancient Dragon was very disappointing after that, though it would have been annoying even without a reference point to compare it to.

Alabaster White posted:

The Royal Wood is nothing special, but I thought it was fairly enjoyable. Oolacile proper is definitely when it kicks into full gear, though.

Oolacile was way better, yeah. That and the Abyss were both really cool.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The forest gives you the two greatest weapons in the game, though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Alonne is super fun and also easy enough that you could conceivably get his special death animation without being some kind of savant.

What's this animation

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you defeat him without taking any damage, Alonne commits seppuku. The animation is him killing himself by stabbing himself in the stomach with his sword.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

What's this animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHK-mePIcVk
1:20

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Oh yeah, he'll also bow to you if you bow to him at the start

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you defeat him without taking any damage, Alonne commits seppuku. The animation is him killing himself by stabbing himself in the stomach with his sword.

Holy loving poo poo. Do blocks count?

Manatee Cannon posted:

God drat. Is there anything else like this in the game?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Node posted:

If you take chip damage from blocking I know it counts. I'm not sure otherwise.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
If you kill Vendrick without any Souls of a Giant, he pulls out a Glock and shoots himself in the head.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma0OXlMvuKg

That was just a weird rumor due to his standing animation.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Cmon he just gets up out of his cross-legged position and readies his sword

and looks down at your bitch rear end while doing so cuz he's like 10 feet tall

But yeah he definitely kills himself out of shame if you roll up and just utterly dismantle his poo poo

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Node posted:

God drat. Is there anything else like this in the game?

If you play through the entire game without dying or without resting at a bonfire you get a ring that makes one of your weapons invisible.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

TheHoosier posted:

Was Alonne really supposed to be that hard? I just kept rolling right, his left, and nearly landed a Seppuku victory on my first try. I really only died due to sloppiness.

Fume Knight though...

Well I kept rolling to the left instead of the right until the end when I figured that one out. His dash slash kept killing me because he has, I think, three different timings on those, but yeah it's way easier to dodge those if you roll right instead of left.

Guess I'm in the minority, though. Then again, Artorias was fairly easy for me. :shrug:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you play through the entire game without dying or without resting at a bonfire you get a ring that makes one of your weapons invisible.

I saw those. That is definitely something I will exclude from my collection.

Ekster posted:

Well I kept rolling to the left instead of the right until the end when I figured that one out. His dash slash kept killing me because he has, I think, three different timings on those, but yeah it's way easier to dodge those if you roll right instead of left.

Guess I'm in the minority, though. Then again, Artorias was fairly easy for me. :shrug:

He isn't hard, and he isn't easy. It feels like a real duel. They nailed that fight.

Node fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 24, 2015

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
No-bonfire is actually not that tough with a little bit of forward planning. Get the Crown of the Iron King and attune several Great Heals and Repair. And load up on a shitton of lifegems I guess.

You'll be dying a lot anyway but just in case you aren't you've got a bottomless stock of repairs and heals whenever you're not in the middle of a fight.

Now, no-death, on the other hand...

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I was just invaded in the drangleic castle ruin sentry room while alive by a hacker. He had a spell whose purpose I think was to make my game lag out by casting hundreds of poison/acid clouds at once, and machine-gun fire acid bombs that broke all my gear instantly.

This is a first for me, is there anything I can do but alt-f4 out when that happens?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Crimson Harvest posted:

I was just invaded in the drangleic castle ruin sentry room while alive by a hacker. He had a spell whose purpose I think was to make my game lag out by casting hundreds of poison/acid clouds at once, and machine-gun fire acid bombs that broke all my gear instantly.

This is a first for me, is there anything I can do but alt-f4 out when that happens?

If you get invaded by a hacker, alt-f4. I've got invaded by a bunch of guys with god mode enabled and did that. gently caress them.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Crimson Harvest posted:

There's nothing you can do.

If it's any consolation, however, if you have a better computer than they do they'll probably crash themselves out first.

I could make a CE script that would probably stop the crash part dead, but you can imagine what'd happen to your account if you use it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crimson Harvest posted:

That happened to me on the iron bridge, thought it was just the jars and he was spitting them out of his mouth like that old DS1 glitch. It was pretty funny, at least.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was concerned about jumping to NG+ as the guides I've read say that's the biggest jump in difficulty, but I did spend about 70 hours in the first playthrough and got to level 195. I'm just cruising through killing bosses in 7-8 hits. Also before I started NG+ I was summoned by someone who had, because we fought the 2 pursuers in Drangleic, which I thought strange that I hadn't encountered them before. I wouldn't have thought it worked that way. Been killing all the pursuers though the one-off guy in the forest got me, and I didn't know until after the fact that he only spawns once.

Its unreal to me that I've spent so much time and still know so little. I got a ps3 again for DeS, I want to go beat that again, I want to go back and beat DS again, I need to play through Ground Zeroes...jesus where am I gonna get the time?

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The easiest way to get a no bonfire or no death run would be to do it on NG+ with SM 2mil+. Just go to the hag, buy her fragrant branch of yore and go straight to shrine of winter then drangleic castle. After that Shrine of Amana is the only full zone left. You can run past most enemies in undead crypt and skip most of Aldia's Manor. Dragon Aerie is completely skipable and dragon shrine is just 4 enemies. Form there it's throne defender and watcher, giant king, and nashandra to complete the game. Pretty much all those bosses don't have any enemies before them either.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
You need to gather the 2 million SM while in NG+ for the shrine of winter door to open so you can't just run directly there. The fastest way to do that is probably the speedrun method of farming the rotten with bonfire ascetics(which obviously does not work if you want to do a no-bonfire run)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Safety Scissors posted:

The easiest way to get a no bonfire or no death run would be to do it on NG+ with SM 2mil+. Just go to the hag, buy her fragrant branch of yore and go straight to shrine of winter then drangleic castle. After that Shrine of Amana is the only full zone left. You can run past most enemies in undead crypt and skip most of Aldia's Manor. Dragon Aerie is completely skipable and dragon shrine is just 4 enemies. Form there it's throne defender and watcher, giant king, and nashandra to complete the game. Pretty much all those bosses don't have any enemies before them either.

The Shrine will only open when you have earned enough souls in that playthrough. So for NG you need 1m, NG+ 2m, etc. The safest way to do it would probably to make a beeline for the Rotten, kill him enough times to get the souls, then do all the rest of the stuff you said.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You can farm the rotten in NG and just collect 24 souls of the rotten + souls of the old dead one. Then you eat them all in NG+.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ooops. Yeah, you'd probably have to do some consumable farming. Not really sure where the best spot would be.

I tried making a str/faith character, but I'm really not feeling it overall. Miracles are just less versatile than sorcery and hexing, and seem to require a bigger stat investment. Sure you can use pyromancy, but you can use pyromancy with anything, and the slight extra scaling is not enough of a plus in my book.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can farm the rotten in NG and just collect 24 souls of the rotten + souls of the old dead one. Then you eat them all in NG+.

Isn't there only a certain number of ascetics in a passthrough?

Kill the blacksmith guy for his armor as that amps up the souls received.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Crazyeyes posted:

Can't you farm them in the Dark Chasm of Old?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jade Mage posted:

Can't you farm them in the Dark Chasm of Old?

You get one every time you kill a host as an abyssal spirit too. It doesn't count if one of the npcs gets to the host first though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Crazyeyes posted:

There's a spot in Aldia where you can use one ascetic to respawn two.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There's a spot in Aldia where you can use one ascetic to respawn two.

you can endlessly cycle ascetics in dragon aerie to farm dragon bones, as well. there's a body with an ascetic on it that will always respawn when an ascetic is used.

not this is new info or anything, but it helped for farming purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
There's still a lot of risky places in a no-death run though:

- All of the Gutter
- All of the narrow-rear end Iron Keep walkways and death traps
- Potentially the Old Iron King himself. Usually easy but every now and again you get caught between a rock lava and a lava with no way out other than certain death.
- Those two loving manikins in the Drangleic Castle tower
- Watcher and Defender can seriously gently caress you up if their attacks sync.
- The run to the Giant Lord is really risky, there's black smoke everywhere and those mortars HURT. As does his bigass sword that can come out of nowhere.