Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It should be mentioned that Farsight has completely channeled his Mifune and not only does he use a sword that steals the life of all he kills to elong his own. He's formed his own band of 7 8 Samurai because gently caress you he's 1 better.

The Eight. From left to right: Torchstar, Ob'lotai, Bravestorm, Farsight himself, O'Vesa, Sha'Vastos, Brightsword, Arra'kon

In fact the way they arrived was amazing to

quote:

The Tau Empire, having lost contact with the Farsight Enclaves, believed Farsight himself to be long dead and the Enclaves lost. One day, though, a probe discovered that the Enclaves were still there and flourishing, and had changed their sept markings and become Ethereal-free. Learning this, the Tau Empire branded Farsight a traitor and renamed the Enclaves the "Forbidden Zone", smashing all his statues throughout the Empire and trying to wipe him from public memory. This didn't sit well with everyone, especially members of the Fire Caste, and contacts within the Empire soon began secretly supplying the Enclaves with new weapons and hardware.

Over a hundred years later, the Enclaves came under threat from a Tyranid splinter fleet. Unsure of what to do, the leadership of the Enclaves suddenly got a message from a museum where an aged Farsight had suddenly shown up out of nowhere to demand his old battlesuit be removed from its display case and returned to him. Donning his armor once again, the Commander took over the defense, and thanks to some smart Earth Caste bio-engineering, managed to hold off the Great Devourer long enough to poison the fleet. Meanwhile Shadowsun, Farsight's old rival, was awakened from her cryogenic stasis in the Empire and sent back to war, and Farsight assembled a new team of elite battlesuit pilots, The Eight, to defend the Enclaves and stand opposed to the mysterious power the Ethereals held over their brethren.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Isn't he basically Tau Char? Red suit and everything?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Note that among the Eight are an AI piloting a battlesuit, an all but biologically dead man kept alive by his suit, a young woman who may or may not be in love with Farsight, a guy driven crazy by a piece of Tau wargear that implants the accumulated knowledge of a legendary Tau commander into one's brain, and a mad scientist field testing his creation.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Night10194 posted:

Isn't he basically Tau Char? Red suit and everything?

In that his battle suit is red and white. Basically though he learned about Chaos, learned that the Ethreals were pulling the Imperiums old "Lets just not tell anybody about it and hope it goes away." which pissed him off.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

That is called "last Tuesday" for most comic settings.

This is from the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Prime, a booklet that is part soviet style lies and propaganda, part useful tips and tricks for the average guardsman, and part emergency toilet paper, but don't let the commissar catch you using it like that or bam. :commissar:

An example of this propaganda is that orks are small, weak and easily intimidated by loud noises. :laugh:

The IIUP has a page on it that is completely blank except for:

DO NOT WRITE ON THIS PAGE

ON PAIN OF DEATH

So I'm sure you'd catch a hell of a lot more than just an execution if the Commissar caught you wiping your rear end with it. It also includes empowering and holy prayers that protect and aid the Guardsman in his time of need, such as the Litany of Stealth (to be whispered under one's breath while infiltrating).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One of my favorite fluff items in Dark Heresy is prayer and propoganda leaflets dropped by the Ecclesiarchy and Commissariat to soldiers and civilians under siege, designed to see to their spiritual health along with other relief supplies. The paper they're printed on is edible and nutritious (if tasteless) so they can claim that a man may live on the Word of the Emperor.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

And there's totally no chance at all his having 8 guys has anything to do with Chaos's love of 8 pointed iconography AT ALL.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

And there's totally no chance at all his having 8 guys has anything to do with Chaos's love of 8 pointed iconography AT ALL.

Probably not actually, they don't have any real ties to Chaos. Even his Sword is a C'Tan artifact, and he has multiple Anti-Warp medallions

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Onmi posted:

Probably not actually, they don't have any real ties to Chaos. Even his Sword is a C'Tan artifact, and he has multiple Anti-Warp medallions

That and it's Farsight with the Seven Samurai.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Heaven Spacey posted:

So I'm sure you'd catch a hell of a lot more than just an execution if the Commissar caught you wiping your rear end with it. It also includes empowering and holy prayers that protect and aid the Guardsman in his time of need, such as the Litany of Stealth (to be whispered under one's breath while infiltrating).

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

If you don't scream out the litany of stealth, loud and proud, when it's called for it's like you don't even worship the emperor.

e: now with relevant pic

hard counter fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 24, 2015

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The Litany of Stealth is actually a really great joke, there is in fact no Litany of Stealth anywhere in the primer but as said there are instructions to repeat it whenever infiltrating.

The joke is that the Litany of Stealth doesn't exist, so when infiltrating a smart guardsman will shut the gently caress up.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, Marines have good reason to not bother with concealment in the slightest. They're a weapon of terror, relying on their reputation and the damage they can do in individual battles (and how fast they can move between them, since moving a 10 man squad around is a lot easier than a company of Guardsmen) to convince an enemy to give up.

Also, they're wearing a tank, 8 feet tall, and kinda loud anyway. Might as well announce yourself.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Onmi posted:

This, He Has an idea the of demons, having fought them once. but just thought of them like a really strange alien race. Living on this hosed up World, where He found his Sword Btw, which killed the demons really good.
And ended the battle with throwing several of this medallions into the portal from which the demons spawned.

It was mentioned that his Sword steals life and adds the lifespan of the slain to his. (which is why he is over 300 years old at this point where normal Tau rarely reach 40.)
He does Not know this though and It is mentioned, that if he where to find out, He would commit Ritualistic suicide.

I am really a huge Fan of this guy. Cynical an bitter but Not to the point the rest of the galaxy is.

Edit:

Space Marines Even had chapter philosophy in the tabletop which amounted to "camouflage is the color of cowardice"

Edit2:
I know it is slightly off topic, but can someone please explain to me What is so Bad at Age of Sigmar?
I Have Never played fantasy and only have ab Basic idea about its Background. I heard about endtimes and poo poo ging down. but personally thought it was good that GW got that stick out of their asses and going forward in time, so What happened that this is so lovely everybody hates it?

Kasrkin fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 24, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kasrkin posted:

Edit2:
I know it is slightly off topic, but can someone please explain to me What is so Bad at Age of Sigmar?
I Have Never played fantasy and only have ab Basic idea about its Background. I heard about endtimes and poo poo ging down. but personally thought it was good that GW got that stick out of their asses and going forward in time, so What happened that this is so lovely everybody hates it?

I'll just talk about the fluff, since I don't really play the TT, but rest assured all reports of that are awful too. In essence, they blew it up, those maniacs, god drat them all to hell! In End Times, Chaos won. The world was over, everyone was hosed, Slaanesh ate some elves, etc. etc. Rocks fell everyone dies. Age of Sigmar says but no all those gods and poo poo who we killed in End Times didn't because Sigmar has become the Mary Sue to Sue of all time. He finds the molten core of the old planet, meets up with a space dragon, turns it into a sun, which will orbit giant orbital space platforms, 'worlds' that will be full of people who pray to him and worship him and build planet sized statues of him because he is not compensating for anything at all. Somehow the other gods who are not dead or okay with and agree to grovel at Sigmar's perfection. They also find out that hey all the races aren't really dead either and they all come back to life and Sigmar makes nine 'worlds' that mirror the winds of magic rather than just remaking the old world for reasons. So everyone worships Sigmar but oh whoops Chaos finds out about all this poo poo and is like, wow Sigmar is an rear end in a top hat so they decide to gently caress it up again. But Sigmar's space ship thingy prevents them til Nagash is like, "Why am I following this bitch rear end little Sigmar, I'm Nagash!" and makes with the back stabbing. Then the Aelfs™ capture Slaanesh while giving Sigmar the finger, and the Steam Head Duardin™ also gently caress off and Grimnir who maybe is Gotrek I don't know is dead for mega realz now, and so Sigmar has a Brilliant idea, and he finds a rock, names it after himself and makes magical armor. But there is no one to wear his magical Sigmarite armor. So he captures the souls of all the heroes of Warhammer Fantasy, rapes them, removes their memories, makes them worship him and puts them in the armor and they are now STORMCAST ETERNALS™ who battle Chaos forever and get up if they die and blindly do whatever Sigmar orders them to do. Which includes murdering any normal humans they find because they might be corrupted by Chaos.

So basically its a lovely bad 80's cartoon, all the humanity is gone, and the most relatable force in the setting is loving Khorne because now they are the closet things to normal loving people that exist. Also even poo poo like the elves and dwarves are changed to be more radical and extreme, beyond the dumb name changes. All dwarves hair is made out of fire for some reason. Dumb poo poo like that. Fantasy used to be a fun game of take historical setting and do something neat. Not award winning fantasy but whatever it was very relatable and human and you knew what was going on. Now all that is gone. The humble rat catcher or State Guard in poofy sleeves is replaced by Rubric Marines who are the good guys we swear.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 24, 2015

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Well, Marines have good reason to not bother with concealment in the slightest. They're a weapon of terror, relying on their reputation and the damage they can do in individual battles (and how fast they can move between them, since moving a 10 man squad around is a lot easier than a company of Guardsmen) to convince an enemy to give up.

Also, they're wearing a tank, 8 feet tall, and kinda loud anyway. Might as well announce yourself.

Well, MOST chapters announce themselves with yelling.

The Raptors announce themselves by reducing some poor bastard's head to chunky salsa.

There's a reason they've come back from the brink more often than anyone else.

They're grim motherfuckers, but if you need a job done right, they're the chapter you want in your corner. No worry about honor. No scrambling for glory. Just results.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Eimi posted:

Insanity

wait, what? i dont even... :confused:

soooo, they killed of everything and everyone and then decided to double back on that, basically saying "NOOOOPE" and build a loving satellite system full of religious people? and Sigmar is god?
so, basically, nothing REALLY changed in the overall scheme of things, everybody still kills each other, they just look sillier than before and are even dumber?

loving Games Workshop man..

Edit: i think the most common way, Space muhrines introduce themselfs is by slamming landing pods into your backyard, or frontyard or through the Roof...

Kasrkin fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 24, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kasrkin posted:

wait, what? i dont even... :confused:

soooo, they killed of everything and everyone and then decided to double back on that, basically saying "NOOOOPE" and build a loving satellite system full of religious people? and Sigmar is god?
so, basically, nothing REALLY changed in the overall scheme of things, everybody still kills each other, they just look sillier than before and are even dumber?

loving Games Workshop man..

Edit: i think the most common way, Space muhrines introduce themselfs is by slamming landing pods into your backyard, or frontyard or through the Roof...

Here's the 1d4 take on it from the article "Advancing the Storyline"

quote:

The End Times and Age of Sigmar: The Ultimate Arguments against Advancing the Storyline

In late 2014, GW finally decided to advance the storyline just as the players wished. The general consensus of this was that it was pretty cool. The fools...

The Nagash book introduced these major changes by bringing back Nagash as a superpower in his own right. Heroes were killed and Chaos was for once not the big title threat, except to the Empire, since Nagash was getting ready to kick them out and take the world for himself. Many non-playable human nations were decimated and Nagash led all the Vampire Counts to Nehekhara. After a series of lengthy battles he overthrew Settra, forced most of the Tomb Kings to serve him and effectively destroyed Nehekhara by destroying its cities.

The Glottkin book saw the Empire become levelled between the titular triplets, Festus, and the others, and little else happened except an undead cameo with Vlad laying the groundwork to become Vampire Emperor. It...didn't work though he made progress.

The Khaine book was the book where the outlook of the End Times started whipping around. All of a sudden, Teclis became a master manipulator bar none, Malekith was revealed to be the true king all along and everyone was just a usurper. Tyron became an utter rear end in a top hat and turned into Khaine incarnate, only to die like a bitch to Malekith and Alith Anar. The end result meant that all the elves got slapped into a single army, which caused frustration among the separate bases.

Thanquol just made things even worse, as the rest of the Empire finally collapsed with Valten's death, Lustria gets blasted by meteors, the surviving Lizardmen go "gently caress this" and fly off into space, the Skaven destroy everyone who isn't the Empire or Bretonnia offscreen (and Bretonnia is also destroyed offscreen as well), and more Dwarfs get chopped. Also Gobbla got eaten, cue Goblin tears. We close with Skaven allying with the forces of Chaos.

Now Archaon was where poo poo broke. To make a long story short, Chaos wins and everyone dies, and there wasn't a damned thing anyone could do to stop it. And that they had been doing this to every universe that had preceded the then-current one, so they would just keep winning over and over again no matter what anyone did about it. By the end of the book, the entire Warhammer World had ceased to exist and every army and named character was killed off if they weren't already dead. In short, it was what GW wanted Storm of Chaos to be, but without that irritating "player interaction" messing up the plot they had planned out.

In a sense, one could see this as a monkey's paw wish; the fanbase finally got the Fantasy setting to advance, but it led to said setting being destroyed and replaced by a completely different setting. One could fearfully wonder now just what would happen if the End Times treatment happened to 40K, and the general consensus is "even the complete stagnation we have now is better than their insane ideas of progression. But if Games Workshop does the same to 40k, it likely means they're going out of business, because that setting has, among other things, their creator's pets.

Age of Sigmar added another monkey wrench into the works; while the plot is nominally progressing with the promise of further developments in the future, it's not necessarily going to be a good thing given GW's track record thus far, and beyond a few shared characters who lack most of their original defining characteristics, most of the "new" Warhammer setting is barely recognizable as being connected to the old one at all. And that's not even taking into account how they somehow managed to add Space Marines to what's supposed to be a fantasy setting and effectively removed Slaanesh in a loving SIDEBAR. In short, advancing the storyline only works when the people writing it aren't absolutely clueless on how to do so, and GW isn't nearly that competent. Better to have a stagnant setting that actually works than changes that ultimately do more harm than good.

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Advancing_the_Storyline

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If AoS came from another company, I'd say it was the company giving the big middle finger to its fanbase. But this is GW, and since such malice would require working brain cells...

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The big problem is Games Workshop has always done exactly what it wants to do with it's intellectual property without actually caring about what it's fan-base wants, and when they do care it's because they want what the fan-base wants anyway. Case in point they tried to do an interactive lore event for Warhammer Fantasy Battle where chaos invades, they wanted Chaos to win right up to the end and have it be a heroic fending off of an apocalypse, instead chaos lost within a day or some such nonsense. Now another company might write around this by saying the other factions had actually been preparing for Chaos attack, instead Games Workshop ignored the interactive part and just wrote what they wanted to in the fast place.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

The big problem is Games Workshop has always done exactly what it wants to do with it's intellectual property without actually caring about what it's fan-base wants, and when they do care it's because they want what the fan-base wants anyway. Case in point they tried to do an interactive lore event for Warhammer Fantasy Battle where chaos invades, they wanted Chaos to win right up to the end and have it be a heroic fending off of an apocalypse, instead chaos lost within a day or some such nonsense. Now another company might write around this by saying the other factions had actually been preparing for Chaos attack, instead Games Workshop ignored the interactive part and just wrote what they wanted to in the fast place.

The funny thing is, the tried to do this with 40k as well, with the 13th Black crusade. But in THIS case they wanted the Imperium to win, when instead it lost to Chaos. This is why 40k is hanging perpetually on the eve of M41.999 And the only story thus far to escape it has been Ciaphas Cain, which is both written in and has a book taking place during M42. This in fact makes Sandy Mitchell the only person who has actually explored M42. And the results of which pretty much say "Yeah we're still tugging along, Abby got his Crusade off the ground, we stopped him."

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Heaven Spacey posted:

The IIUP has a page on it that is completely blank except for:

DO NOT WRITE ON THIS PAGE

ON PAIN OF DEATH

A commissar blasting a guardsmen over something petty like a defaced primer depends on the quality of the Commissar in question. A good Commissar isn't gonna give a crap because using a primer like that probably means that shits gotta jiggy with the supply lines and regular guard aren't getting luxuries like basic toiletries anymore.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Klaus88 posted:

A commissar blasting a guardsmen over something petty like a defaced primer depends on the quality of the Commissar in question. A good Commissar isn't gonna give a crap because using a primer like that probably means that shits gotta jiggy with the supply lines and regular guard aren't getting luxuries like basic toiletries anymore.

Ah yes, this reminds me, throwing on the "GW really doesn't get their fans" when a question brought up was "Who would win in a fight between Commissar Gaunt (Dan Abnetts Commissar) and Commissar Cain (Mitchells) The response was "They would both be killed by a real loving commissar." Because yeah, take two of the characters that your fan base actually likes and show the kind of childish attitude of being upset at people liking someone elses toys.

The winner by the way would be Fuklaw.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 24, 2015

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Onmi posted:

Ah yes, this reminds me, throwing on the "GW really doesn't get their fans" when a question brought up was "Who would win in a fight between Commissar Gaunt (Dan Abnetts Commissar) and Commissar Cain (Mitchells) The response was "They would both be killed by a real loving commissar."

Huh? Source on this? This is beyond retarded.

Also, don't hotlink images, use imgur. I didn't know you had an image in your post until I quoted it.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Lord_Magmar posted:

aka the plan was to have players actions affect the story.
The problem was, Chaos lost HARD. Hardly the epic struggle GW had imagined.

So suddenly, the Skaven join Chaos. After making the Lizardmen gently caress off into space.
And with Skaven ranged power, plus Chaos melee, the combined armies crushed the Empire, Elfs, etc.

They released a bunch of end times model/army sets too.

Then, with Age of Sigmar, they released a whole NEW set of models. And changed how combat works giving these new armies a significant advantage over old armies because the new armies have bigger models.

The High.Dark elfs teamed up after a bunch of them got murdered by Chaos/rats and eaten by Slaneesh, and imprisoned Slaanesh. Who instantly got replaced by the Horned Rat.

Oh, and the new armies balancing rules for army size is kind of non existent.
While the models were being shown off at conventions, no-one was allowed to actually play because they would see how terrible and unworkable the rules were.

And they re-branded all the armies with new names they can trademark because :GW:
You know those Trademarks - those are the ACTUAL renames because apparently GW is only failing as a business because it can't TRADEMARK its race names.

Played too much Elite, Orks will have to wait.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 24, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Onmi posted:

Ah yes, this reminds me, throwing on the "GW really doesn't get their fans" when a question brought up was "Who would win in a fight between Commissar Gaunt (Dan Abnetts Commissar) and Commissar Cain (Mitchells) The response was "They would both be killed by a real loving commissar." Because yeah, take two of the characters that your fan base actually likes and show the kind of childish attitude of being upset at people liking someone elses toys.

The winner by the way would be Fuklaw.

That commissar would then be shot by his own men if he is so loving kill crazy. Throne.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

A commissariat hat is no match for a Lasgun to the back of the head.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Huh? Source on this? This is beyond retarded.

Also, don't hotlink images, use imgur. I didn't know you had an image in your post until I quoted it.

"At the 2012 Black Library Weekender, a panel of authors were asked to predict the winner in a series of hypothetical matches between various Black Library characters. When asked to match Cain versus Gaunt, the most popular answer, chosen by audience approval, was Graham McNeill's: "Neither one - a real commissar would show up and kick both their arses.""

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ciaphas_Cain#Background_Information

Which, yeah, isn't as bad as I made it sound, honestly thinking on it, it's more of a negative for the fans who voted.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Or frag grenade in his tent. A good Commissar would ensure that the troops hate the enemy more than they hate him, or love the God-Emperor more than they love life.

EDIT: Yeah, that's just the fans being idiots.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone knows Cain's the better swordsman, anyway. And better at space poker!

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

A fight between Gaunt and Cain would just end up being Jurgen vs. whichever deus ex machina Ghost happens to be hanging around

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Everyone knows how real Marines do things.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It seems like it would be obvious that the Storm of Chaos / 13th Black Crusade setup could not possibly work with the way these game (worlds) are set up.

The player base is spread between like a dozen different factions, with few of them having any reason at all to be allied other than *maybe* by stark necessity and "we happened to be in the same place when poo poo struck". On top of that, the factions with at least some slight reason to ally are almost exclusively on the "good guy" side, while every Baddy is worse than the next and bent on total and sole domination/destruction.

So writing a "event" where one such Baddy side is marked out as the big villain can't loving possibly produce anything but loop-sided results, because how the hell do you even begin to balance that? I could understand the desire if the setting was made from start to actually revolve around 2-3 "sides" (even if there's infactions), but they... aren't.

And to tie this all into this LP, this is reflected over and over again when people like Relic try to write a story around it and have to jump through hoops to explain why all these factions are at one place and fighting each other.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean, one of the underlying jokes in the Cain memoirs is that the guy is one of the best Commissars in 40k primarily because he understands his role is as adviser, disciplinarian, and most importantly, morale officer. His troops remain loyal and in good spirits, the officers he works with trust him and will listen to him, and he's good at smoothing over problems between the Regiment and local populations. It's partly because he doesn't want to get shot in the back, partly because he wants to be liked and have the troops willing to help him out if there's trouble, and partly because Cain's actually just a pretty good officer.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I mean, one of the underlying jokes in the Cain memoirs is that the guy is one of the best Commissars in 40k primarily because he understands his role is as adviser, disciplinarian, and most importantly, morale officer. His troops remain loyal and in good spirits, the officers he works with trust him and will listen to him, and he's good at smoothing over problems between the Regiment and local populations. It's partly because he doesn't want to get shot in the back, partly because he wants to be liked and have the troops willing to help him out if there's trouble, and partly because Cain's actually just a pretty good officer.

Yeah, part of the allure of Cain is that HE constantly believes that he's a gutless coward who doesn't care for the troops beyond putting another body between him and everything that would kill him. Then he has moments where watching a dead guardsmans body be burned that he'll probably be the only person to remember him, and that there has to be countless men and women who only he remembers, and when he dies they'll all be forgotten. In fact, in a later book set further in the future, he does in fact forget someone who died while serving along side him and it tears him apart.

But it's also written from the perspective of his Memoirs, and he's always constant to stress that he never did anything good for the sake of goodness. Essentially the story has 3 perspectives. The events as stated, Cains take on them and Amberly's opinions on them.

Pimpmust posted:

It seems like it would be obvious that the Storm of Chaos / 13th Black Crusade setup could not possibly work with the way these game (worlds) are set up.

The player base is spread between like a dozen different factions, with few of them having any reason at all to be allied other than *maybe* by stark necessity and "we happened to be in the same place when poo poo struck". On top of that, the factions with at least some slight reason to ally are almost exclusively on the "good guy" side, while every Baddy is worse than the next and bent on total and sole domination/destruction.

So writing a "event" where one such Baddy side is marked out as the big villain can't loving possibly produce anything but loop-sided results, because how the hell do you even begin to balance that? I could understand the desire if the setting was made from start to actually revolve around 2-3 "sides" (even if there's infactions), but they... aren't.

And to tie this all into this LP, this is reflected over and over again when people like Relic try to write a story around it and have to jump through hoops to explain why all these factions are at one place and fighting each other.

The funny thing was them admitting "Yeah the system is actually really easy to game/fake results for." So it's always entirely possible that people just submitted fake results knowing what GW had planned.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Onmi posted:

The funny thing was them admitting "Yeah the system is actually really easy to game/fake results for." So it's always entirely possible that people just submitted fake results knowing what GW had planned.

Also there is a big perspective of Chaos as a writers pet. The players by and large will do anything to make Chaos fail. The only other way to make the playerbase band together like that is if they make the Ultramarines the villain. If they'd have picked Skaven in Fantasy or Orkz in 40k thing would be different. I recall the Wars for Armageddon going a lot better and being better received.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Eimi posted:

Also there is a big perspective of Chaos as a writers pet. The players by and large will do anything to make Chaos fail. The only other way to make the playerbase band together like that is if they make the Ultramarines the villain. If they'd have picked Skaven in Fantasy or Orkz in 40k thing would be different. I recall the Wars for Armageddon going a lot better and being better received.

In Fantasy, at least, 'Chaos as writer's pet' was pretty much the case and we saw how that ended up.

The problem with Chaos is mostly that it just never manages to seem that threatening. At least in Fantasy it had the Chaos Warriors (and the 'good' guys didn't have an equivalent) while in 40k, CSMs have just been 'Loyalists but shittier' for a very long time since in 40k, the Marines are the writer's pet.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Night10194 posted:

In Fantasy, at least, 'Chaos as writer's pet' was pretty much the case and we saw how that ended up.

The problem with Chaos is mostly that it just never manages to seem that threatening. At least in Fantasy it had the Chaos Warriors (and the 'good' guys didn't have an equivalent) while in 40k, CSMs have just been 'Loyalists but shittier' for a very long time since in 40k, the Marines are the writer's pet.

They've tried really hard to make Failbaddon threatening and none of the fans are buying it. Hilariously they ignore characters like Huron Blackheart who the players would accept as a chaos leader over Failbaddon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Onmi posted:

They've tried really hard to make Failbaddon threatening and none of the fans are buying it. Hilariously they ignore characters like Huron Blackheart who the players would accept as a chaos leader over Failbaddon.

And it's a shame, because Chaos has some pretty memorable leaders in the Dawn of War series. Eliphas, Araghast, and Neroth are all great, and a case can be made for Crull and the Soulstorm guy as dumb but at least entertainingly so who know they're cartoon villains.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Araghast is awesome and its such a drat shame he died. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khg2BAZJ10A

Hell Kyras is probably the best Khornate villain they've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Eimi posted:

Araghast is awesome and its such a drat shame he died. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khg2BAZJ10A

Hell Kyras is probably the best Khornate villain they've ever had.

I swear Chaos and Orks are the only ones with any personality in these games. Sure it gets kinda same-y after awhile but they aren't total blowhards like the Marines or aloof elves like the Eldar.

• Locked thread