Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Fintilgin posted:

Dear Paradox,

Please make it so non-contiguous land provinces crash the game and format the hard drive the game is installed on.

Thanks,
Fintilgin and Node

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's just pointless because tiny little exclaves of land and 'spikes' like that aren't important for war on the scale of EU4. And since they don't change over time it just makes the state that ends up owning it all look seriously retarded.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bold Robot posted:

If the religious leagues event never fires, will Catholicism eventually become the official religion of the Empire? It looks like you need at least one Protestant/Reformed elector for the event to fire, but my only Protestant elector just converted back to Catholic. The heretic princes are killing my IA gain but I can't enforce religion without an official religion. I can't get a CB on most of them so doing it in wars isn't really an option. Also apparently you can't revoke electorates until there's an official religion, so I can't just give an electorate to a heretic.

If no elector converts, then it'll eventually time out and declare Catholicism the winner by default, same as it would if there was just never a league war.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OneTwentySix posted:

You don't really want to develop unless you have nothing else to spend them on and you're going to go over the cap, getting a gold province to the 10 dip development, or you're really small and don't intend to get any bigger. I've never really noticed any benefit to development, aside from the gold provinces, though; if you're not conquering somewhere else, what are you doing all game, and if you are conquering, a few extra development is kind of a drop in the bucket. Others might have other opinions, but it really is a bit of a waste of monarch points for me; I'd generally rather try rolling another general or two rather than sink 100 points for 2-3 development into a province most of the time. If you really commit to development, you're probably going to fall behind in technology. I like the idea, but I think it'll probably be better implemented in EU5 if they decide to keep the idea.

It's also arguably worthwhile to jumpstart the smaller minors - Ceylon, for example, really benefits from a couple dip points right out of the gate.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Bold Robot posted:

I mean if the Leagues never even form. It looks like you need at least one heretic elector for the event creating the Leagues to fire, and I don't have one.

Yes, Catholic will be the official religion, but it'll take much longer if leagues didn't form, I think it'll happen in 1650.
If leagues formed but didn't fight it's 30 years since league creation, so probably around 1580.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Trying to pick up a Spain game again but drat they nerfed them hard. No core on Granada, constant threat of Castilian Civil War, and in five restarts I have yet to get the Iberian Wedding.

ed

And no matter how much I rush it, I can't beat Portugal to those islands off of Africa.

How I did it in my recent Spain game was to immediately build a fort. You've got almost a perfect wall down the middle of Iberia between Aragon and Portugal so one extra fort finishes it and stops them reinforcing each other. Then fabricate on and DOW Portugal; you can annex them in two wars and the fighting's easy if you're taking both those nations one at a time.

Then just make all your rulers generals and pray for the Iberian Wedding I guess.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I waited for Portugal to go to war with Morocco and ship their army over. Then I used my navy to interfere with them coming back while I sieged them down.

Blocking off all of Aragon with forts is also a good idea though.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
Man, if I had to pick any one thing for this game to improve on, it would be giving the player something to do in peacetime. I find myself more and more often starting up weird custom nation games as a Dutch Republic just because there's enough things to keep track of that waiting for AE to tick down or a vassal to be annexed isn't a complete waste of time.

I just ragequit a really good Austria game because my ruler died early with an age 0 heir. I'm not sitting through that regency gently caress you.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Deport The Irish posted:

Man, if I had to pick any one thing for this game to improve on, it would be giving the player something to do in peacetime. I find myself more and more often starting up weird custom nation games as a Dutch Republic just because there's enough things to keep track of that waiting for AE to tick down or a vassal to be annexed isn't a complete waste of time.

I just ragequit a really good Austria game because my ruler died early with an age 0 heir. I'm not sitting through that regency gently caress you.

I'm an awful scumlord so if i get a poo poo regency i just ctrl-alt-delete and reset to the start of the month so I don't have to sit through all that time.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Wiz posted on the official forums the difference between the upcoming 1.13 patch and the current 1.13 beta.

quote:

Here is a quick diff:

- Fixed major OOS caused by set controller commands being posted twice.
- Reduced AE from fabricating claims.
- Removed the scaling war exhaustion cost reduction and stability cost modifiers from seats in parliament.
- Re-electing a ruler now gives -10 karma (down from -20) and electing a new ruler now gives +10.
- Reduced Karma loss for starting offensive wars from -25 to -10.
- Buddhists no longer pay any diplomatic cost for releasing nations, releasing vassals and returning cores.
- Administrative Efficiency now also lowers AE generated.
- At least 50 AE is now required for a country to join a coalition (up from 30)
- Taking provinces from a large country now reduces AE generated by up to 50% (uses the same scaling as increased AE for taking provinces as a large country, so a country taking provinces from an equal sized country gets neither a bonus nor a penalty regardless of size).
- Fixed AI always accepting peace for large enough sums of gold.
- AI: Will now generally avoid taking provinces when doing so would result in an undefeatable coalition.
- Attacker allies are no longer automatically set to be called if they would accept, instead you have to manually select them, so that allies aren't accidentally called to wars where you don't want them.
- Ideas that give +25% hostile core creation cost are now shown in province interface.
- Fixed a bug where besieging obsolete forts could cause you to lose army tradition.
- Fixed a bug where a war between two AIs would never end due to faulty peace treaty construction logic.
- Vassal Forcelimit Modifier now works correctly.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Man, those AE modifications would have been just fantastic for the MP game. Hard AI in the HRE can rack you up near enough 30AE for one province, and I got 15AE for being caught fabricating a claim.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

- Buddhists no longer pay any diplomatic cost for releasing nations, releasing vassals and returning cores.

Hahahaha oh man I really like these changes, I think after the patch hits I'm going to start as Nepal, take over some Vajrayana land, convert to Vajrayana Buddhism Best Buddhism and play world police. Ideally I could culture switch to Tibetan and form Tibet for the Theocracy, but I think Tibet's one of the formable nations that overwrites your ideas, and why start as Nepal if you're going to abandon those ludicrous ideas?

- Taking provinces from a large country now reduces AE generated by up to 50% (uses the same scaling as increased AE for taking provinces as a large country, so a country taking provinces from an equal sized country gets neither a bonus nor a penalty regardless of size).
- AI: Will now generally avoid taking provinces when doing so would result in an undefeatable coalition.

So basically no coalitions ever?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Prop Wash posted:

Hahahaha oh man I really like these changes, I think after the patch hits I'm going to start as Nepal, take over some Vajrayana land, convert to Vajrayana Buddhism Best Buddhism and play world police. Ideally I could culture switch to Tibetan and form Tibet for the Theocracy, but I think Tibet's one of the formable nations that overwrites your ideas, and why start as Nepal if you're going to abandon those ludicrous ideas?

So basically no coalitions ever?

AE decay rate isn't changed so if you expand quickly enough you'll still get coalitions, and the AI can still muck up and overestimate its own power. It was a bit extreme when one province could push you into coalition territory under certain circumstances though.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I'm gonna miss the 1.12/.13betas AI coalition hellzone in the HRE. It was great seeing something like Saxe-Laurenburg eat Hamburg and Lubeck due to AI Hansa getting screwed by not being smart enough to use boats and proceed to get gunned down by Austria, Denmark, Sweden, Brandenburg, Pomerania, Burgundy, France, the Pol-Lith Commonwealth and Bohemia with no allies.

It wasn't amazingly fun to play in the HRE because the AE, but it was really fun to watch the AI try to play it.

Also Wiz you should totally watch the video I posted which Groogy quoted a couple pages back. I improved your guys' trailer by adding some MP footage to it which accurately represents big MP games.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

AE decay rate isn't changed so if you expand quickly enough you'll still get coalitions, and the AI can still muck up and overestimate its own power. It was a bit extreme when one province could push you into coalition territory under certain circumstances though.

Perhaps there should be a flat cap on how much AE a province can ever generate, though? It's still conceivable that a really valuable province could produce more than 50 AE all by itself (see: heathen taking a province in the HRE, or something), making it unconquerable without creating a coalition.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I kind of feel like in that case it is a deserved coalition. You NEED to be strong to fight into it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Thanks Wiz, I was getting tired of waiting to try out Buddhism.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah if the Ottotams take Wien or something then I think most of Europe probably should drop what they're doing and get it back (or try to anyway). I think the AE changes in this patch are a good move, but we'll see how it plays out in-game.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Prop Wash posted:

I'd be angrier about this if my verge-of-achievement Ayutthaya playthrough hadn't (accidentally by clicking the wrong button?) gotten de-ironmanned yesterday. :negative:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Speaking of AI, I wonder if I just encountered a bug in my last game. A huge PLC fell into a union with Sweden as the senior partner and Austria decided to challenge it. Austria was completely defeated and Sweden decided to force an union between PLC and Sweden as their peace terms, which resulted in massive 50+ AE with every single European nation. I've never had a union happen to me, but did Sweden really have to force the union in the peace treaty when they already had the PLC in union under their king?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Another Person posted:

Man, those AE modifications would have been just fantastic for the MP game. Hard AI in the HRE can rack you up near enough 30AE for one province, and I got 15AE for being caught fabricating a claim.

Yeah, and taking a developed province like Lubeck meant taking base AE of like 18 or something, which meant you'd receive ~60 AE with all the Westphalian minors and most of the HRE. Personally these changes sound like they're swinging too far the other way, but we shall see. Certainly Coalitions too crazy right now.

Wiz, no changes to forts, particularly high level ones? The negative from fort level should really be proportional to garrison size, rather than having a flat -1 for "less than half". It makes no sense to me how a level 8 fort with 200 guys in it still manages to give me a -7 to all my siege rolls.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Loving those AE changes, especially the fabricating claims one. It was a bummer that if you were fabricating two claims at once and got caught on both you'd probably have enough AE that actually waging either war wasn't worth it. I'm almost done with my Netherlands game and 30-50 AE is where I was at most of the time with other HRE members so 50 seems like a decent point for coalitions. Would've definitely saved me some headaches on my Big Blue Blob run. Might have to play as Austria and get their achievements once 1.13 hits officially.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh wow that totally explains why my Buddhism games went so dismally, I did them as republics.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Alright, now bring on 1.14 and the improved random New World!

(We're going to have to wait for the next dlc, aren't we? :smith: )

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

When is 1.13 going live?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Wiz said later this week if all goes well.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Spiffy. The AE changes look nice. I agree with Pitt about high-level forts though; late game warfare is a real slog currently and it would be nice to see some movement there.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I thinking of making a "New World Crops" event to raise the value of grain by like 33% or something. How'd I go about that?

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Spiffy. The AE changes look nice. I agree with Pitt about high-level forts though; late game warfare is a real slog currently and it would be nice to see some movement there.

Pretty sure fort changes are already in the beta patch. This is just in addition to the beta patch notes.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Struensee posted:

Pretty sure fort changes are already in the beta patch. This is just in addition to the beta patch notes.

I play the beta patch, the only change is the one Pitt mentioned where under-strength garrisons give you somewhat better siege rolls. Level 4 forts still take a reaaallllly long time to siege.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Struensee posted:

What they did was add a -1 to fort strength if a fort has <50% of its garrison. Which is fine for a level 2 or 3 fort, but once somebody is rocking level 8 forts all over the place, that penalty is useless. Which makes assaulting far less useful, and means you can just mothball all your forts all the time with basically no consequence.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

There aught to be a few levels of siege bonuses in miltech later on in the game. Something that increases the maximum bonus you can get from artillery and generals, or lowers the dice roll requirement for a wall breech. So far the only things in the game that really speed up a siege are a handful of ideas and policies (more if you count Army Tradition bonuses I suppose) and the very rare siege NI's.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Someone posted a few pages about how later in the game sieges should go faster because forts stopped being able to keep up with an armies ability to siege - a lot of the Napoleonic wars were decided by battles and armies tended to march around at will once a fort was invested.

edit: not to critisize the fort mechnics, I loving love them, just seems like late game they are indeed a bit of a slog.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Instead of granting Siege Ability with tech level, maybe let artillery increase the siege roll even more? Right now it's capped at +5 for 15 artillery, but I wouldn't mind being able to push that artillery bonus higher and I think that making you concentrate a bunch of artillery to quickly knock down a high level fort would be reasonable game balance.

Either that, or somehow scale the Siege Ability from Army Tradition. Right now it's +5% at maxed 100 AT which is pretty wimpy, and there are very few other ways to increase Siege Ability other than Offensive ideas. If you could get 10-20% Siege Ability from AT that would go a long way.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If I'm the HRE emperor and I've passed the 'all princes are vassals' reform, will releasing a nation that contains a bunch of provinces that I've manually added to the HRE make them one of my HRE vassals and thus have them not count as one of my diplomatic relations? Or would they just be a regular vassal that just happens to have HRE provinces?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Instead of granting Siege Ability with tech level, maybe let artillery increase the siege roll even more? Right now it's capped at +5 for 15 artillery, but I wouldn't mind being able to push that artillery bonus higher and I think that making you concentrate a bunch of artillery to quickly knock down a high level fort would be reasonable game balance.

Either that, or somehow scale the Siege Ability from Army Tradition. Right now it's +5% at maxed 100 AT which is pretty wimpy, and there are very few other ways to increase Siege Ability other than Offensive ideas. If you could get 10-20% Siege Ability from AT that would go a long way.

I'd honestly just like to see a bunch of bonuses to Siege Ability in the last few techs or something. Give +10 to every tech after 1700 or something, so that forts become increasingly less relevant in the late game. But bumping up the bonus from artillery wouldn't be a bad idea either.

VDay posted:

If I'm the HRE emperor and I've passed the 'all princes are vassals' reform, will releasing a nation that contains a bunch of provinces that I've manually added to the HRE make them one of my HRE vassals and thus have them not count as one of my diplomatic relations?

If their capital is in the Empire, then they'll be a member, with no relations slot usage. If all of their would-be provinces are in the Empire, than that will always be true.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PittTheElder posted:

If their capital is in the Empire, then they'll be a member, with no relations slot usage. If all of their would-be provinces are in the Empire, than that will always be true.

Thanks, now I can proceed with my plan to chop Western and Central Europe up into 100 3-4 province vassals.

Random annoyance/complaint: I wish you could upgrade ships while they're docked in one of your subject's ports. It's really annoying that I have to send my colonial ships to either one of my developing colonies or all the way back.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

VDay posted:

If I'm the HRE emperor and I've passed the 'all princes are vassals' reform, will releasing a nation that contains a bunch of provinces that I've manually added to the HRE make them one of my HRE vassals and thus have them not count as one of my diplomatic relations? Or would they just be a regular vassal that just happens to have HRE provinces?

Yes if their land is in HRE releasing them will make them a free vassal.
However! If your intention is to use their cores for conquest and province you added isn't their pre-defined historical capital they will move their capital there if they come to own it. If you got that province for them from neighbor and it's not in HRE they'll move capital and leave HRE and start using relation. It's dumb they can do it and you can't move capital in or out of HRE, Wiz, fix it!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
There's no way to "resurrect" nations that don't exist any more once their cores expire, is there (apart from just making client states)? Was looking forward to chopping up France into little pieces but a bunch of other nations' cores that they start with disappeared right before I got a chance to invade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

VDay posted:

There's no way to "resurrect" nations that don't exist any more once their cores expire, is there (apart from just making client states)?

Once all of their cores expire, those guys are gone forever. RIP :(

• Locked thread