Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Negligent posted:

When I was last in bkk in April, they had metal detectors/cursory bag checks on the MRT, but not on the skytrain. Which is still a joke really since they didn't check you if, for example, you had a wheeled suitcase that would take too long to open.

I saw on fb they now have installed metal detectors at the Chiang mai night safari, typical knee jerk security reaction that doesnt achieve anything except inconvenience.

Buy shares in G4S, tourism's loss is their gain.

The MRT security checks are an utter joke, agreed. The people manning them could not give less of a poo poo. Maybe that'll change for the next couple of weeks at least, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
They've already started ramping that up--the MRT folks have started actually asking to see inside your bag.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Chit Lom BTS had people actively searching bags today, but no other stations did.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

CronoGamer posted:

Speaking of scapegoats, I'm really curious how the police are going to find a way to tie the red shirt conspiracy onto whatever Burmese migrants they round up
My double secret reverse conspiracy theory today is that it's Burmese activists striking back against Thai tourism for Koh Tao, and the Thai government always blaming their citizens and imprisoning them for crimes committed by Thai people against tourists. I mean yeah, it's outlandish, but whatever. That's why it's a conspiracy theory!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Look at this thing I found in GBS (GBS is better than it was but is still bad):

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

At the risk of distracting from the informative in-depth political analysis occuring in this thread, I'm going to be leaving SEA in the near future and am looking for recommendations for shipping stuff back to the UK. I don't have a whole houseload to move but I got a quote from Allied Pickfords (randomly chosen because they were near the top of search results) for just under RM5000 from Malaysia to the UK. That's kind of on the edge of 'is it just cheaper to leave stuff and buy new things' territory so I'm wondering if that's about standard for part of a container shipping costs or if there's any particularly good services?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

MrNemo posted:

At the risk of distracting from the informative in-depth political analysis occuring in this thread, I'm going to be leaving SEA in the near future and am looking for recommendations for shipping stuff back to the UK. I don't have a whole houseload to move but I got a quote from Allied Pickfords (randomly chosen because they were near the top of search results) for just under RM5000 from Malaysia to the UK. That's kind of on the edge of 'is it just cheaper to leave stuff and buy new things' territory so I'm wondering if that's about standard for part of a container shipping costs or if there's any particularly good services?

That's what, £1000? It's alot of money, if it's furniture I'd just say gently caress it and take a trip to Ikea when you get back. Sell everything you can on Craigslist and local Facebook groups, abandon the rest. You'll probably save money and stress.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Depends how much stuff you're shipping really. I think they do these things by 20 ft container, which would put RM5000 at around the normal rates. I'm sure there are other companies that will parcel out your goods into different containers to make it cheaper for them (I only ever shipped a few boxes over the Pacific), but have you thought about trying to see if other foreigners need to ship anything to the UK and splitting a container?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

MrNemo posted:

I used Asian Tigers to move back to Ireland which cost over 10k RM. It was a lot of crap though. In hindsight i think i wouldve been better just leaving it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Crossposting this. Wanna find a copy of that pamphlet.

From Walter Zenner's "Minorities in the Middle:"

Full text: https://books.google.com.my/books/about/Minorities_in_the_Middle.html?id=FljGSzbhr4oC&redir_esc=y

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

MrNemo posted:

if you sell them use http://mudah.my which is what all the malaysians use instead of craigslist

or you can give me everything

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

CronoGamer posted:

Depends how much stuff you're shipping really. I think they do these things by 20 ft container, which would put RM5000 at around the normal rates. I'm sure there are other companies that will parcel out your goods into different containers to make it cheaper for them (I only ever shipped a few boxes over the Pacific), but have you thought about trying to see if other foreigners need to ship anything to the UK and splitting a container?

I think that was the quote for the split container option (or rather the get enough people's stuff to fill a container), getting an actual container they quoted at about 10K. It's not really furniture (that's just Ikea crap) but a load of personal effects. It would probably be cheaper to take it all as extra luggage but I don't really think taking 5 or 6 suitcases of stuff is especially practical. Like I said, 5K puts it into nearly as much as it would probably cost to replace everything. I've got the advantage of not having to rebuy a load of stuff but it will also take about 5 weeks to get to me. So currently I can't really decide between leaving it or taking it. I don't think much of it would be resellable, a lot of books (stuff for teaching), clothes and assorted other things. I've also got dive gear which would definitely be worth the price but I'll probably just dump clothes to make room for that.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

MrNemo posted:

It would probably be cheaper to take it all as extra luggage but I don't really think taking 5 or 6 suitcases of stuff is especially practical.

I saw a toilet being plastic wrapped at Suvarnabhumi once, and that didn't even register as being particularly unusual.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

What I meant was more I have to carry all that poo poo. I would rather pay a couple of hundred pounds extra to have someone else do the heavy lifting /middleclassprivilige

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
The less you have the more free you are to move around. Don't let your stuff be an anchor.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
How much time have you got? I'd treat it the same way I treated my parents' overcrowded (*cough*borderline hoarding*cough*) house when I wanted to sell it. I got a few colours of Duck(sic) Tape, and started marking things for Trash, Keep, Donate. Then I'd sleep on it and usually tag more things for Trash. It's exhausting making choices over and over and over again...and the more tired you get it'll swing to Trash or Keep more than it should.

It might feel better to leave stuff behind if you're giving it to someone else.

Just imagine having to unpack and deal with all that poo poo when you get home. Is it worth taking a boulder-worth of junk to deal along with reverse culture shock when you're home?

...I've spent too much time in E/N.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Anyone in Jogjakarta? I'll be there for two nights starting tomorrow and I just want to use it as a break in between making my documentary and recharge my battery. (read, get away from family, have a bit of privacy and go back to my hostel tipsy)

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Lmao Thailand

Thai TV sorry for bomb re-enactment http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-34013540

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

MrNemo posted:

What I meant was more I have to carry all that poo poo. I would rather pay a couple of hundred pounds extra to have someone else do the heavy lifting /middleclassprivilige

Get rid of anything you don't need or can easily replace. I brought so many loving books back with me and when I was unpacking it after coming home I couldn't help but think how I'd just spent about 20 times more transporting the stuff than just rebuying it when I was home.

Even after paying the 10k RM to move this garbage we still (my wife and I) ended up bringing about 90KG in luggage as well. That was actually okay though once we got past the racist malay fucker at check in. That only cost us about 500 RM extra for the four bags.

Talk to the airline you are planning to use about extra luggage. It might be your cheapest option if you're talking extra suitcases.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was on a plane back from thailand once that stopped in dubai and all the people who got on there overloaded the plane with so many big screen tvs and stuff that they had to make an extra fuel stop in hamburg before going on to JFK. So basically i think airlines are used to it (and enjoy charging the requisite fees).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Police apparently have a name for the bomber and apparently the nationality although officially neither of these things have been shared yet and my source is a Facebook post of a guy saying he writes for the Times.

https://m.facebook.com/richardlp/posts/10153567291945645?pnref=story

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Sheep-Goats posted:

Police apparently have a name for the bomber and apparently the nationality although officially neither of these things have been shared yet and my source is a Facebook post of a guy saying he writes for the Times.

https://m.facebook.com/richardlp/posts/10153567291945645?pnref=story

I googled the name and it looks like other sources are carrying it too. http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2015/08/22/bangkok-bomber-mohamad-museyin-named.html

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
I spoke to Reindeer about this already, but just in case any other SE Asia goons have had experience arranging visas for locals, any help would be appreciated:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3737882

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
There is no way this has anything to do with the southern insurgency, so what do you think is the deal here? Is this related to the Rohingya, but from an external source or something? The name doesn't sound right for blowback from Persian deal a couple of years ago, but I have no idea. I mean assuming that that is the guy and that is his name. I have to say it does sound odd that he would have a name but they wouldn't have a guess on his nationality. The story in Thai says that the authorities showed a passport to the local motorcycle or taxi drivers and they identified him, so someone should have the nationality to report.

Also, the Google Translate version indicates that the translation of his name from Thai is "Mohammad Hamad Brunswick Moose" so I am sticking with that. Brunswick Moose for short.

Naturally, Pam Gellar and friends, all life long friends of Thailand who care so much for the citizenry are all over the issue.

EDIT: Sorry, I should have said that there is no way that it directly emanates from the southern insurgency. Weather some other actor decided to undertake a sympathy campaign is another question.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 22, 2015

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My friend made a good point that if this was political or religious or in some other way externally motivated, the parties responsible would claim it. But that's not what's happening here. The guy killed and injured a ton of people and then just vanished and no one hears anything else. That makes it sound personal, like he was specifically upset by something and wanted to get even for it. Now, that's just speculation from my friend who is an armchair psychologist so it could be totally bunk, but I could of like how that sounds.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Atlas Hugged posted:

My friend made a good point that if this was political or religious or in some other way externally motivated, the parties responsible would claim it. But that's not what's happening here. The guy killed and injured a ton of people and then just vanished and no one hears anything else. That makes it sound personal, like he was specifically upset by something and wanted to get even for it. Now, that's just speculation from my friend who is an armchair psychologist so it could be totally bunk, but I could of like how that sounds.
Yeah, it could just be some crazy or dispirited or angry person or persons. That's a fair point. That pretty much makes you a suspect!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
On the other hand if it's somebody with a personal grievance, you'd expect them to release something by now saying "HEY I DID THIS BECAUSE I'M REALLY, REALLY MAD ABOUT [X]"--or some other sort of significant clue in that direction.

It's possible that those signals are there, just not public. And to my mind it's the fake bomb at Nana that seals that this is part of a messaging campaign. If there's no public acknowledgement, if just means that we the public aren't who the message is for.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Right, I posted earlier that the terror data since 2000 in the GTD shows that less than 14% of terror incidents aren't claimed.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
if your aim is to just gently caress with tourism and potentially undermine the government because they look stupid when they cant catch you, then you wouldn't claim responsibility

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Good point, Atlas, you're exonerated.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Right, I posted earlier that the terror data since 2000 in the GTD shows that less than 14% of terror incidents aren't claimed.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but isn't the statistic that only 14% of attacks are claimed?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

duckmaster posted:

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but isn't the statistic that only 14% of attacks are claimed?

Yeah, I'm having a hard time parsing that sentence as well.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, I'm having a hard time parsing that sentence as well.

I've been drinking you cunts. Only 14% aren't claimed

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I don't only claim 14% of my posts, the ones worth reading ~~~

hic

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I've been drinking you cunts. Only 14% aren't claimed

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._for_their.html

You're obviously still drinking!

quote:

Credible perpetrators claimed responsibility for only 14 percent of the more than 45,000 terrorist acts that have occurred since 1998, according to the University of Maryland’s Global Terrorism Database.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Yea glad we got that sorted out

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Please mention the figure "14%" whenever responding to future thread tourists dear SE Asia thread. Context independent.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

"I want to visit bangkok to "see the temples" but I am worried, is it safe?"

"It's fine, 14% of the time Bangkok is bombed none of the time."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Duckmaster, a voice of clarity.
Edit: 14% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
http://news.sky.com/story/1540723/thai-police-find-bomb-in-busy-bangkok-road

I wonder if this one was supposed to explode last week and failed, or was set up for a new attack.