Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Alright well it looks like the Solid Gold is chicken only so at least it's not 5 different things mixed together.

I'll try to get her the fish based EVO and see if she does any better (she better!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Nicol Bolas posted:

Had to put down my old lady today. She was 20 but creaking around and eating PetSure okay for the past few months. But according to my stepdad she started wobbling and falling over and not doing well the past few days, and it reached a point where she couldn't hop up and get to the sink where she liked to drink water from the tap or get up and down stairs, and she hasn't peed in a long time or eaten more than a few licks of PetSure. So we had to let her go, and I've been doing the covert desk cry all day while I arranged everything. We got her euthanized at home for her sake, and are getting her cremated for mine. I spent way too much on a nice wood box. I don't know. I'm having a lot of feelings and I feel like this thread understands all of them.

You did the right thing. You didn't let this happen.

StinkingHomo
Oct 8, 2006

I'm in ur house, using ur toiletz
So, anyone have any experience with hepatic lipidosis in cats? Took my (shelter, ~5 years old) cat to the emergency vet last sunday night since she hadn't eaten for 24 hours and very little eating the days before. A vet I visited earlier gave me some vitamins to force feed her and basically said good luck, she won't be here for long. Anyway, they put her on IV fluids for 24 hours at the emergency vet, and I've taken her back for 8-10 hours of IV support every day except for yesterday when the vet said she'd probably recover better at home and requested I drop her at the vets the day after again for IV support and blood analysis. Yesterday when we spent the day together with the cat, she pretty much ate the whole can of this: http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-feline-ad-caninefeline-critical-care-canned.html (which is a waaay more than she used to eat per day the past few weeks) during the day. Haven't talked to my vet about recovery chances yet, but basically if she's eating on her own again, there's a decent chance of recovery? It's been an incredibly stressful week, so I guess I'm just looking to talk and read about experiences :/.

StinkingHomo fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 21, 2015

codespace
May 3, 2011

So, I'm moving from Florida to Mississippi soon and I need to figure out a way to move my cat Ham.

I'll be moving myself via Greyhound and shipping all of my stuff up, but I haven't figured out how to get Ham moved too. I looked into shipping him, but everything I've seen involved flying him up, and that's not really a safe option. He has asthma, and all the airline pet shipping sites specifically warn against shipping animals with any kind of breathing problems.

Any ideas? I'm starting to think I may need to have a friend drive him up, but that's like an 8-10 hour drive from here.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
I am probably being a helicopter kitty-mom, but before I left for work this morning I noticed that one of Tali's whiskers had a kink in it, it was basically bent almost back onto itself, she could probably lick it if she really wanted to. I touched it and tried to push it back and she didn't react but I just want to make sure this isn't something weird and/or it's something that may happen. Are her whiskers going to fall out and she'll get stuck in crevices she can't fit into because her whiskers all fell out?

That was facetious, but seriously, just making sure this isn't something I need to worry about bc, like I said, helicopter kitty-mom.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

codespace posted:

So, I'm moving from Florida to Mississippi soon and I need to figure out a way to move my cat Ham.

I'll be moving myself via Greyhound and shipping all of my stuff up, but I haven't figured out how to get Ham moved too. I looked into shipping him, but everything I've seen involved flying him up, and that's not really a safe option. He has asthma, and all the airline pet shipping sites specifically warn against shipping animals with any kind of breathing problems.

Any ideas? I'm starting to think I may need to have a friend drive him up, but that's like an 8-10 hour drive from here.

Does Greyhound have an option for traveling with pets? I had to pay a pet fee to travel with my cat in the cabin of a plane recently, so I can't imagine Greyhound would completely dismiss pets if they can make money off of it. If not, have you looked into the cost of renting a car and dropping it off at your destination? It might be a little more expensive, but your seat companion would be kitty instead of a smelly stranger and you can stop when you want to.

codespace
May 3, 2011

Zaftig posted:

Does Greyhound have an option for traveling with pets? I had to pay a pet fee to travel with my cat in the cabin of a plane recently, so I can't imagine Greyhound would completely dismiss pets if they can make money off of it. If not, have you looked into the cost of renting a car and dropping it off at your destination? It might be a little more expensive, but your seat companion would be kitty instead of a smelly stranger and you can stop when you want to.

Greyhound doesn't allow animals either in the cabin or as luggage, so unfortunately that won't work. As for renting a car, well, I don't drive. Gives me panic attacks, so that won't work either. :(

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Haven't read the topic, sorry I'm kind of just using this to cope. My cat has been around for 17 years, and yesterday he stopped eating. My local vet isn't open until Monday, and right now I'm spoon feeding him dry food (forcing his mouth open and the dry food is mashed up and practically liquid). He still drinks water can jump and pisses and craps so I'm taking that as a hope. But he lost his meow too, and he is extremely skinny like "that cat can't be well skinny". Basically he has to make it through Sunday, I hope he does; if anyone has any suggestions or if there is a type of liquid calorie food that I don't know about please tell. Okay bye.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Nude posted:

Haven't read the topic, sorry I'm kind of just using this to cope. My cat has been around for 17 years, and yesterday he stopped eating. My local vet isn't open until Monday, and right now I'm spoon feeding him dry food (forcing his mouth open and the dry food is mashed up and practically liquid). He still drinks water can jump and pisses and craps so I'm taking that as a hope. But he lost his meow too, and he is extremely skinny like "that cat can't be well skinny". Basically he has to make it through Sunday, I hope he does; if anyone has any suggestions or if there is a type of liquid calorie food that I don't know about please tell. Okay bye.

Call an emergency vet.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I adopted my first cat a few days ago. He's 9 years old and pretty friendly, I think he's finally getting used to being in my apartment.

That said, I'm feeling the "first time adopter blues." I work a retail schedule and go to school, sometimes being gone from 9am to 9pm or later, and fear that I don't spend enough time with him. I'm constantly worried/stressing that he isn't getting enough interaction, and always feel awful leaving him home if I choose to hang out with friends after work. I did not think this was going to be a problem, but after bringing him home I've heard/read a lot of things stating otherwise.

Also, when I am with him he is always down to cuddle, but rarely seems to want to play. He has a little toy mouse that he will play with for 5 minutes or so, but nothing else seems to interest him. Should I chalk this up to him still getting used to my apartment?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's also an older cat. He'll enjoy playing but cuddling is just fine for him. Or it could be the type of toy too. Most cats really enjoy Da Bird, a feather lure on a string on a stick. My older guy goes completely bonkers for felt balls which he'll chase and bat around.

What makes you think he's lacking in interaction?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

What makes you think he's lacking in interaction?

Some of the cat fans at work saying that leaving him home alone for 12 hours is the worst thing in the world. Are they blowing smoke? My apartment is not huge, 800ft^2 with about 500 of it being cat accessible. Lots of boxes, nooks and crannies, food and water etc.

codespace
May 3, 2011

So just a quick update. Looks like I found a way to transport Ham up to Mississippi without risking air travel! A buddy of mine will be driving up that way for a big event, and he said he'd be happy to bring Ham along. Only catch is that I'll have to wait til March. My current roommate has agreed to take care of him until then, so that's not a problem. Definitely gonna miss the little guy in the meantime, though.

Anyhow, have another photo cos he's pretty :3:

App13
Dec 31, 2011

codespace posted:

So just a quick update. Looks like I found a way to transport Ham up to Mississippi without risking air travel! A buddy of mine will be driving up that way for a big event, and he said he'd be happy to bring Ham along. Only catch is that I'll have to wait til March. My current roommate has agreed to take care of him until then, so that's not a problem. Definitely gonna miss the little guy in the meantime, though.

Anyhow, have another photo cos he's pretty :3:

Nice!

Also, and probably none of my business but I'm going to ask anyway, have you ever given thought to working through your driving anxiety? A friend I used to be in the Navy with came home with some pretty severe driving anxiety after deployment, saw how much it affected him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

App13 posted:

Some of the cat fans at work saying that leaving him home alone for 12 hours is the worst thing in the world. Are they blowing smoke? My apartment is not huge, 800ft^2 with about 500 of it being cat accessible. Lots of boxes, nooks and crannies, food and water etc.

It really, really depends on the cat. Cookie, my older guy, would probably be fine alone for 12 hours. He could just sleep the whole day away. Once in awhile he'll come up to me looking for scratches and rubs, but is fine doing his own thing (which is mostly sleeping/grooming himself). Pudding on the other hand is definitely a social cat. If he's not bothering me to go play with him, he'll be pestering Cookie. What's he doing on a weekend if you're around? Is he demanding interaction with you every half hour, or just sleeping until mealtime?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

It really, really depends on the cat. Cookie, my older guy, would probably be fine alone for 12 hours. He could just sleep the whole day away. Once in awhile he'll come up to me looking for scratches and rubs, but is fine doing his own thing (which is mostly sleeping/grooming himself). Pudding on the other hand is definitely a social cat. If he's not bothering me to go play with him, he'll be pestering Cookie. What's he doing on a weekend if you're around? Is he demanding interaction with you every half hour, or just sleeping until mealtime?

Haven't had a full day off with him yet, the time I do spend with him he seems to come around every half hour to an hour and snuggle for a bit. He's free fed, so he doesn't bother me for food/water. Wish I could get a second cat for companionship, but that's simply not an option at this apartment.

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

codespace posted:

Greyhound doesn't allow animals either in the cabin or as luggage, so unfortunately that won't work. As for renting a car, well, I don't drive. Gives me panic attacks, so that won't work either. :(

What about a rescue group that transport pets? People volunteer to take the pet from x to x and pass the pet onto another person so the animal arrives at its destination.

Here are some links

http://www.operationroger.com/

http://bestfriends.org/Resources/Resources-for-Rescuers/Help-for-Individuals/Animal-Transport-Resources/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

App13 posted:

Haven't had a full day off with him yet, the time I do spend with him he seems to come around every half hour to an hour and snuggle for a bit. He's free fed, so he doesn't bother me for food/water. Wish I could get a second cat for companionship, but that's simply not an option at this apartment.

Well, you're just going to have to provide alternatives for stimulation then. I went through a ton of toys til I found a few keepers for my guys, and set up a cat tree by a window so they can climb it and peek outside. I also set up a bird feeder outside the window for a little extra excitement now and again. :v:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I just rescued my first kitty. I'm mildly allergic and was always wary of getting a cat. I was actually in the shelter looking at bunnies and this girl stole my heart.

Meet Stewie. She's 7 years old and very dignified.

Allergies aren't affecting me at all at present. She's acclimated beautifully. She's been home less than two hours and has started eating and took a nap on my bed. Right now she's chilling on the couch and watching Twitch with me.

I bought some anti-allergy wipes and spray but don't know if they'll be needed. Does anyone have any experience with them at all?

I also got her the same food the shelter used, multiple toys and a big ole scratching post she took a cursory sniff at and then ignored. Basically she's spoiled rotten and sounds like an outboard motor right now.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
She's beautiful! I love torties. :3:

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Don't be surprised if the allergies fade too. I have a mild reaction to cat fur/saliva but only when I am not regularly exposed. Now I have an rear end in a top hat that tries to share my pillow and I have no issues with sneezing or anything.

e: \/\/ god that reminds me of a shelter kitten we visited when we were looking for our ghetto black kitten. He was really cute and suuuuuper friendly, and when I picked him up he flung his little kitten paws around my neck and licked a burning red hot trail of hives across my cheek :(

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 24, 2015

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Stewie looks like she settled in fast :3:
Some cats are less allergenic than others, too. My sister-in-law is allergic to cats, but my brother's indoor cat doesn't gently caress with her allergies nearly as bad as his barn cats do. Her allergy to the indoor cat has lessened over the years, which has helped. If the allergies do start causing issues, it's usually a good idea to designate the bedroom as a cat free zone and run an air purifier in the room so that you have a place where you can breathe and sleep easier.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Awh Stewie :3:

My husband has a mild cat allergy and taking a Zyrtec every day is good enough unless it's shedding season. Adding Benadryl eye drops helps then. (He also has dust mite & pollen allergies and so is on antihistamines year-round anyway.)

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Grape Soda posted:

Stewie looks like she settled in fast :3:
Some cats are less allergenic than others, too. My sister-in-law is allergic to cats, but my brother's indoor cat doesn't gently caress with her allergies nearly as bad as his barn cats do. Her allergy to the indoor cat has lessened over the years, which has helped. If the allergies do start causing issues, it's usually a good idea to designate the bedroom as a cat free zone and run an air purifier in the room so that you have a place where you can breathe and sleep easier.

She's currently sleeping on the couch while I watch SummerSlam. If I take my hand off of her to type when she's not asleep she give me a "What the gently caress?" look. Probably the chillest and cuddliest cat I've ever seen.

Allergies are almost non existent at this point. A little itchyness in some places but no sniffles or eye redness at all. I think I'll use the spray on my bed (she'll be sleeping with me) but there's no reason to use the wipes on her.

Edit: Sleeping with me cause I'm in a studio at the moment and she hasn't left my side since I got her. I doubt it will be any sort of issue though.

Critical fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 24, 2015

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Doublepost and then I'm done for the night.

Crawled underneath my throw blanket on the couch and then meowed because she lost sight of me. Went potty and then dutifully wiped her feet off on the mat and got zero litter on my floor. Then she batted her catnip mouse into the wall and bonked her head going after it and then meowed at the mouse.

I somehow adopted the best cat in the world.

Edit: I told her to say hi to the internet people and got this.

Critical fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 24, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What a great little cat. :3:

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Critical posted:

Crawled underneath my throw blanket on the couch and then meowed because she lost sight of me. Went potty and then dutifully wiped her feet off on the mat and got zero litter on my floor. Then she batted her catnip mouse into the wall and bonked her head going after it and then meowed at the mouse.

You adopted a tortoiseshell lady. I hope you won't be needing both hands for the foreseeable future. Mine's meow is essentially the cat version of the royal "we".

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Critical posted:

Can I have your cat, please?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, she sounds very similar to my calico Cassie. Very very bossy but in a very cuddly way. Your household now has an org chart and you are not at the top. :3:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

What is it about torties that makes them such adorable, demanding little princesses? :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're hosed up cellular chimeras!

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Hey guys I posted a few pages back about my kitty running away - well she came back!!! Yay! We've been having a snuggle-computer game fest all weekend, it has been good.

Anyway just wanted to drop in and say thanks for all the advice and stuff here's a picture of my princess moments after being dragged out from under the neighbors shed and washed:

Also this seems to have been settled, but w/r/t getting cats in carriers, I tilt the thing up vertical, grab a cat from behind by reaching around to their chest/front leg shoulders, I slide my hands back so their front legs are pinned, get that half of their body in the carrier, plant a hand on their butt and push them the rest of the way in. By the time they turn around to escape in that small space, I've got the door closed. My cats also hate carriers, for years I would just walk them into the vet one in each hand and they were total ragdolls I assume because they didn't feel trapped. New town, new vet was not cool with that, so now I bring them in caged and yowling at the top of their lungs.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I guess you could try one of those thunder shirts too

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

duckfarts posted:

I guess you could try one of those thunder shirts too

They don't work.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Looks like they work perfectly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TteYkDkfE0

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

black.lion posted:

Hey guys I posted a few pages back about my kitty running away - well she came back!!! Yay! We've been having a snuggle-computer game fest all weekend, it has been good.

Anyway just wanted to drop in and say thanks for all the advice and stuff here's a picture of my princess moments after being dragged out from under the neighbors shed and washed:

Also this seems to have been settled, but w/r/t getting cats in carriers, I tilt the thing up vertical, grab a cat from behind by reaching around to their chest/front leg shoulders, I slide my hands back so their front legs are pinned, get that half of their body in the carrier, plant a hand on their butt and push them the rest of the way in. By the time they turn around to escape in that small space, I've got the door closed. My cats also hate carriers, for years I would just walk them into the vet one in each hand and they were total ragdolls I assume because they didn't feel trapped. New town, new vet was not cool with that, so now I bring them in caged and yowling at the top of their lungs.

Glad your kitty is found. :3:

I just bought a carrier today for Stew's rabies vacc trip this week. Dropped a little extra coin on a fabric one with a top and side door. Did a test run by putting a treat in, dropped her through the top and zipped it while she was scarfing. She looked betrayed but no vocalizing for the few seconds she was in there.

I came home with the treats and she followed me around with her tail vibrating like a live wire she was so excited. I tried to give it to her and she totally ignored it and butted me and rolled over for tummy rubs. I took full advantage if the ten seconds she gave me before the biting started.

I've dropped an astounding amount of cash on this dumb pretty cat in the last two days and she's worth every penny.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

That made my day. :allears:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Okay...so my girlfriend has this older cat that is so loud and needy I have to limit the time we spend at her place because I can't sleep. If we shut the door the cat meows and pulls on the bottom, shaking it. If we leave the door open it meows and jumps on top of us every half hour. Letting the cat on the bed doesn't help because it will leave and then come back and do the same thing.

Cat's 13, has been vomiting more frequently than is usual if that helps.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Put vacuum outside closed door, turn it on but leave it unplugged with the cord near you. When she comes to the door and wakes you up, lean over and plug it in. Repeat until cat figures it out. SSS Cat is also an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Well, at my dad's insistence, I removed the litter box that I was using to keep the cat from peeing on the carpet by the front door today. The ultimatum I posted about last week was pushed back.

So I go downstairs at 5AM, like I often did in the month it took me to convince him to place that litter box, to see if there's a pee puddle to clean before Dad gets up for work. And to no one's surprise, there is.

This problem is pretty much only going to get solved when I fix the myriad of personal issues that lead to and result from me being unemployed and living with my dad, move to a different house with a different patch of carpet, and taking the cat with me.

So what the hell do I do in the meantime?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 26, 2015