Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
A lot of great photography comes from people that have found ways to love the unique terribleness of their respective suburbia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

I love this.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
post more photos

Booty Majors by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I'll try going walking around my suburb with the camera and seeing what I find. I'm going walking on Saturday to try find wrecked planes on a mountain, I'll try find inspiration in the smaller things. What deaders said in that interview about starting out sounds a lot like me at the moment.

Unfollow everyone on Flickr that isn't an inspiration to you and start devouring books, youtube interviews, non-poo poo blogs and everything on ASX. Being able to read photography as a language with a degree of fluency goes a long way when it comes to observing the world and understanding how you can articulate it visually. If your standards are set by Marvel movies and retweeted Pinterests of soft-lit food photography, you're not going to end up with much.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

post more photos

Booty Majors by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage taking photos of my gross neighborhood!

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Mido posted:

MrBlandAverage taking photos of my gross neighborhood!
Booty Majors spotted

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

As an American, Australia seems weird and cool. You may not have high mountains, but there are tropical forests, coral reefs and atolls, temperate forested mountain ranges, and coastal Western Australia, which is it's own very unique and different region.

But I really like the vignettes of Australian suburbia that get posted here. It's a like slightly askew version of America's. I'd love to take a photography trip to Australia, not just to explore the natural features, but also check out the different urban landscape. Compared to a lot of the older cities east of the Rockies in the US, Australian cities seem 'newer' somehow. Maybe that's a misconception on my part, but I've heard that Darwin is, like, the newest city in the Anglophone world (owing to it's previous destruction by a typhoon, I hear). And it's located in a very diverse tropical region, as well. It's not the only part of the country that I'm interested in, but it seems like it would have a lot of subjects that would interest me, as I tend toward wildlife and architecture & landscape photography.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

SMERSH Mouth posted:

As an American, Australia seems weird and cool. You may not have high mountains, but there are tropical forests, coral reefs and atolls, temperate forested mountain ranges, and coastal Western Australia, which is it's own very unique and different region.

But I really like the vignettes of Australian suburbia that get posted here. It's a like slightly askew version of America's. I'd love to take a photography trip to Australia, not just to explore the natural features, but also check out the different urban landscape. Compared to a lot of the older cities east of the Rockies in the US, Australian cities seem 'newer' somehow. Maybe that's a misconception on my part, but I've heard that Darwin is, like, the newest city in the Anglophone world (owing to it's previous destruction by a typhoon, I hear). And it's located in a very diverse tropical region, as well. It's not the only part of the country that I'm interested in, but it seems like it would have a lot of subjects that would interest me, as I tend toward wildlife and architecture & landscape photography.

It probably actually is all physically newer because the country is a baby (federation was in 1901 iirc), and Aboriginals didn't build much that lasted through getting basically wiped out. Its not like the cities have been there in their current form for hundreds of years with lots of history. 100 years ago there were 4 million people across the entire massive island, which is like 2ish people per square kilometer

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 21, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
I just will never understand people who say "my city is boring there is nothing to photograph".

I'd prefer to be in a more "boring" area since it would force me to look at things differently. It's pretty easy for me to just take a quick drive to dc and take a bunch of slightly better tourist photos. They are nothing new.

Own it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pukestain Pal posted:

I just will never understand people who say "my city is boring there is nothing to photograph".

I'd prefer to be in a more "boring" area since it would force me to look at things differently. It's pretty easy for me to just take a quick drive to dc and take a bunch of slightly better tourist photos. They are nothing new.

I wonder if this was indeed how the whole "banal" photography thing started long with the New Topo guys.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I worked on the slightly off angle on that earlier shot. Better, folks?

Untitled by Jason, on Flickr

Also, a couple more from the set. Almost done, I think.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

thetzar posted:

I worked on the slightly off angle on that earlier shot. Better, folks?

Also, a couple more from the set. Almost done, I think.

You are making me regret selling my 27mm to fund a 16mm.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

8th-snype posted:

You are making me regret selling my 27mm to fund a 16mm.

If it makes you feel better, a number of these are stitched panoramas because the 27mm wasn't wide enough. Lightroom doesn't alter the EXIF when it stitches.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Couldn't get a wide shot. This was taken through a gap in the gate:

Not one that I particularly like, but the blur of the passing train overlays the street lights behind it. The train was moving through the frame for the duration of the exposure:

Now I see that the theme for this night was 'public utility lines'

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 21, 2015

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

thetzar posted:

If it makes you feel better, a number of these are stitched panoramas because the 27mm wasn't wide enough. Lightroom doesn't alter the EXIF when it stitches.

Strongly consider the 16mm f/1.4, I have had it for 2 days and it's crazy sharp even wide open.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Strongly consider the 16mm f/1.4, I have had it for 2 days and it's crazy sharp even wide open.

The best part is how close you can get with it!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dren fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 23, 2015

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I dig these but the shadows are looking a little blue, not sure if that was your intention.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Thoogsby posted:

I dig these but the shadows are looking a little blue, not sure if that was your intention.

I left them a bit blue on purpose to give the fog more depth but I'll take another look at them tonight.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Crossposted from the medium format thread.

Took this on a recent work trip to SF on my Mamiya C220. Forgot my cable release and really had to concentrate to make sure it didn't end up blurry.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

img117 by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

img118 by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 22, 2015

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Crossposted from the medium format thread.

Took this on a recent work trip to SF on my Mamiya C220. Forgot my cable release and really had to concentrate to make sure it didn't end up blurry.

Looks... too sharp.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

elgarbo posted:

Looks... too sharp.

It's probably the scan quality. I forgot my cable release and wasn't sure how they'd turn out. My local shop charges a little more for high quality scans.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Went bushwalking yesterday and took a walk around when my friends were getting fuel in a 1 street town with 4 buildings
Old Boxes by A Saucy Bratwurst, on Flickr

Enjoy the water mates by A Saucy Bratwurst, on Flickr

Yeah?

E: Lincoln Wreck Engine by A Saucy Bratwurst, on Flickr
From the actual walk itself.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 23, 2015

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

by Jimbo, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Taman Jurong by alkanphel, on Flickr

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Bristol?

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Ric posted:

Bristol?

Yup, just yesterday.

drat, I have too much to process. I feel like I should stop taking photos and actually get around to processing some or I'll end up like the digital equivalent of Garry Winogrand. Just yesterday I ordered a 12TB NAS server to help store all the photos I take, so it must be getting bad. I guess that's like buying a new, dedicated fridge because I can't keep all the rolls nestled in amongst the pizza and chicken any more.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 23, 2015

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Last week there was a smoke in Oakland from the forest fires . It might for a nice view out the window.

DSCF2714 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF2712 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Windfarm by Marc, on Flickr

mt ngauruhoe by Marc, on Flickr

mt ruapehu and ngauruhoe by Marc, on Flickr

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

This is cool

Could you have moved forward to get the sign out of the last one?

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

It is an information sign for a road to a skifield, so I could have travelled down it a bit.
I was debating whether to move , but the slight elevation there was better.

I was parked on the edge of New Zealands main road Highway 1

Raikyn fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 24, 2015

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Raikyn posted:

I was parked within a meter on the side of New Zealands main road Highway 1

That country really is cheating. I should really get around to starting saving for a trip there

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

So I finally got some film developed....

Hoses by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Owhiro Bay

Nameless Bay