Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Those totems are a good source of Alienis essentia if, like me, you've already got your osmotic enchanter set up but you have to ration your ender pearls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Easy way to break into blood magic is to make yourself a Dislocation Focus (thaumic tinkering) and head for the eerie giant obsidian tower isle on the south of the map. You can steal a free blood altar, a bunch of runes, murder a custom NPC to get a dagger of sacrifice, and use the dislocation focus to steal a zombie spawner from the barrow outside the tower. Bring it all home and set up a spawning pit to stab zombies for infinite blood.

Update: It's Efreet's flame -> uprising -> dislocation focus. I have no idea why this isn't locked behind portable hole focus like it used to be.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Those totems are a good source of Alienis essentia if, like me, you've already got your osmotic enchanter set up but you have to ration your ender pearls.

Combine ender pearls with 4 obsidan for 4 ender infused obsidian that each have 4 alienis.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Alternately, just set your base up in the tower. You've got a nice flat space on top for farming and a ton of big empty floors for all your machines and magic poo poo. It being enclosed also makes it safe and the grass being isolated means the chances of an animal getting tainted by accident and eating your other animals is really, really low.

Yeah, I live in the giant satanic tower, what of it? :devil:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Danger Mahoney posted:

So what is the intermediary metal you use to mine gold? You need gold to make tool casts for iron tools, so what is the tool you use to mine the gold in the first place?

So I watched the world's most painful series of blightfall videos the other day & I'm way oversensitive to this, but please read the quests. Please.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

30.5 Days posted:

So I watched the world's most painful series of blightfall videos the other day & I'm way oversensitive to this, but please read the quests. Please.

show us the videos.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Read the drat book!

It's nice having a working quest book system that tries to teach you the game.

Turtlicious posted:

show us the videos.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'd quote but it's just gonna be some boring facepalmy wannabe youtube LPer so :geno:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

To be fair I feel like the book was a little vague on this one, and what it tells you to do (get bronze) is a pretty terrible way, since it takes eons when you don't have a hammer or something.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Yeah, IIRC it doesn't even mention the alternate prometheum -> oureoclase path until you find prometheum so if you're unlucky you might not even realize it's an option.

Maybe also a third branch of those quests with the nether tree pick path.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

From what I've seen direwolf20 using it, it seems to add two or so open modifiers to the blade among other things.

I tried that out (by cheating some parts in) and it does not add modifiers. Doesn't seem to do anything else either.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

President Ark posted:

Yeah, IIRC it doesn't even mention the alternate prometheum -> oureoclase path until you find prometheum so if you're unlucky you might not even realize it's an option.

Maybe also a third branch of those quests with the nether tree pick path.

Er...?

Regarding the tree upgrade path, I think the idea was that, the prometheum/ouraclase was the intended path, copper/bronze is available if you get lucky, and the nether trees are there for people to feel clever.

Turtlicious posted:

show us the videos.

Okay but don't touch the poop, please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzMWuHuPo5Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k3040vnL2Y

The background of this is that I like to google for LP's of packs that we've released recently to see how people are playing and also for ego reasons. This is without a doubt the worst LP of blightfall I've seen:

Behold:

- The (not uncommon) WHERE'S DRISKOLL thing at the begining.
- The streamer seeing "right click until you get to the crew menu" in the quest text, right clicking out to the title page and then continues to right click for like 5-10 seconds.
- Completing the supplier tutorial without at any point understanding how it works, and then proceeding to blow 100% of all mission outlook on supplier quests. They do not, at any point in the 4 hours of streaming linked above, figure out how mission outlook works, what it does, or anything. At one point early in the video they realize that you get mission outlook for completing quests but they're not sure why it's going away and at no point does anyone suggest reading anything as a solution for that. All they know is at some point the supplier stopped giving them stuff and they don't know why.
- A conversation about whether to destroy the silverwood in the center of the dome. Obviously you are expressly told not to do this, but even aside from the reading, the team had a "thaumcraft expert" who suggested that they might be able to destroy the tree because maybe it doesn't have a node in it. No thought is given to "why is this area not covered in taint then?" Later in the video the girl streaming is destroying silverwoods at scouting locations (a thing they decided to do) and sees the node inside it explode. He tries to convince her she didn't see that because none of the silverwood trees in blightfall have nodes (???)
- They think they need copper and tin because they screwed up updating to 2.1.0 somehow and have the old quests with no prometheum pick quests. (NB: Original stream was done day after 2.1.0 release, so?)
- In the second video they actually do have the prometheum quests but don't notice the new quests or really pay any attention to them at all.
- Same thaumcraft guy decides that the mining level book only shows you the level for things you've already found. I have no idea how he came to this conclusion.
- Someone accepted completion for all 5 death quests without reading any of them so they never learned that death hurts mission outlook and eventually leads to failure.
- They decided early on that death was the best solution to hunger since you don't even lose your stuff. In the second video they died dozens of times each by doing suicide runs into redwood city. They never build armor or really even kill anything.
- They keep loudly complaining about all the language sample books and papers and how much inventory space they take up. "What can we even do with these?!" they ask.
- At the very end of the second video they realized they lost and have no idea why and are actually hurt, emotionally. Rage, pain, and bluster.
- Afterward, thaumcraft guy says, "I'm gonna read this stupid quest book, because I haven't read it yet."

EDIT: On thaumcraft guy's channel they started a new LP of blightfall but they still didn't know what they did wrong and had somehow reverted back to the pre-2.1.0 quests again. They were getting some amount of help from the channel that time but still weren't reading anything and were expressing frustration at not understanding the game. I'd had my fill so I never found out whether they got the hang of it.

EDIT 2: Also worth noting, these are not children. They are in their 20's.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 24, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

I tried that out (by cheating some parts in) and it does not add modifiers. Doesn't seem to do anything else either.

That's sad. is terrasteel any good for tinkers stuff? i know mana steel is rated supra-diamond and thats about it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

30.5 Days posted:

- They keep loudly complaining about all the language sample books and papers and how much inventory space they take up. "What can we even do with these?!" they ask.

I'll admit that one frustrated me forever because I thought I needed something else (i.e. likely a translation device) to craft those into the bits I'd need to unlock a translation device or whatever and I couldn't figure out how to start the quest line until I asked here and people said just stick them into a crafting table to get pink pages out of them that would unlock the quest.

The rest is hilarious though. Not hilarious enough for me to watch it myself, but hilarious.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Alkydere posted:

I'll admit that one frustrated me forever because I thought I needed something else (i.e. likely a translation device) to craft those into the bits I'd need to unlock a translation device or whatever and I couldn't figure out how to start the quest line until I asked here and people said just stick them into a crafting table to get pink pages out of them that would unlock the quest.

The rest is hilarious though. Not hilarious enough for me to watch it myself, but hilarious.

I guess it's a general modded minecraft mastery thing- the first thing I do is mouse over a new thing and hit U to let NEI tell me what I can do with it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

30.5 Days posted:

I guess it's a general modded minecraft mastery thing- the first thing I do is mouse over a new thing and hit U to let NEI tell me what I can do with it.

Eh, it said "craft to make fragments" and I thought that meant craft them with somethign to make language fragments.

Was mostly just be being dumb but I can see how someone, even someone who reads stuff, would screw that up. Of course with these idiots its just another pebble in a mound of stupidity.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I decided to skip ahead to thaumcraft guys channel.

Uhhh... Thaumcraft expert is really bad at Thaumcraft, like the basics.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I decided to skip ahead to thaumcraft guys channel.

Uhhh... Thaumcraft expert is really bad at Thaumcraft, like the basics.

Well, yes, being good at Thaumcraft would likely involve reading a book and we've confirmed this group is allergic to reading.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

That's sad. is terrasteel any good for tinkers stuff? i know mana steel is rated supra-diamond and thats about it.

It looks like a pretty good material, I guess. High base durability, medium-high damage, good mining speed, supra-diamond mining level. If you have terrasteel you really should make the botania terrasteel tools though.

OH. Speaking of tools! WHY can I not give my tcon tools additional modifiers? Diamond+gold block does nothing. The other two combos don't work either. I don't even see a config setting for this.
E: found it in main.cfg in IguanaTweaks. I'm guessing tcon tools are mostly neutered to keep them from being endgame tools. At least, not without a ridiculous amount of effort. You get a modifier slot every level up, but hooo boy does it take a lot of exp, and all the good materials make leveling slower.

E2: tried out Earth Shock. The shocked ground does 1 damage per hit. It's awful. It lasts for a loooooong time but unless the thing you're attacking can't move, I would not recommend it over an un-upgraded shock focus.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 24, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

McFrugal posted:

It looks like a pretty good material, I guess. High base durability, medium-high damage, good mining speed, supra-diamond mining level. If you have terrasteel you really should make the botania terrasteel tools though.

OH. Speaking of tools! WHY can I not give my tcon tools additional modifiers? Diamond+gold block does nothing. The other two combos don't work either. I don't even see a config setting for this.
E: found it in main.cfg in IguanaTweaks. I'm guessing tcon tools are mostly neutered to keep them from being endgame tools. At least, not without a ridiculous amount of effort. You get a modifier slot every level up, but hooo boy does it take a lot of exp, and all the good materials make leveling slower.

E2: tried out Earth Shock. The shocked ground does 1 damage per hit. It's awful. It lasts for a loooooong time but unless the thing you're attacking can't move, I would not recommend it over an un-upgraded shock focus.

The idea is that you'll keep the same tools the entire game, and upgrade them as you go, keeping their modifiers and experience level. They level up slowly, but every upgrade is an additional modifier slot. Tcon endgame tools are most definitely still the best tools.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Or the Fan, which is a super way to push mobs around with all sorts of utilities.

I usually make a mob farm using fans, spikes, and spawners (usually soul shards) and vacuum hoppers

https://youtu.be/Vr5zwZr6Nko

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So back to the centivis thing. I think I was supposed to find a node with a compound aspect representing all the other ones, right? Humanus, I believe? I haven't had any luck yet. I found some others, but not quite that. Actually, I did find one, but I can't remember where, and I can't interpret it from the node list.

30.5 Days posted:

Er...?

Regarding the tree upgrade path, I think the idea was that, the prometheum/ouraclase was the intended path, copper/bronze is available if you get lucky, and the nether trees are there for people to feel clever.

HQM is kind of bad for giving choices like that. In retrospect, there were quite a few ways to get out of the early-game ore limitations. I wound up hitting ouraclase, and realized I could have probably just drummed up an obsidian tool in a smeltery. Before all this, I had darkwood, which would have done it. I had the sense to put it on a crossbow, but not anything else. Seeing all that gives me some idea of things I should be doing for a special survivalist chapter in Baby's First Space Race.

Heck, even if HQM was really good about showing paths like that, none of those people would have read it. I would not entirely beat yourself up over live streamers. Anybody who has tried to type with somebody watching knows how much stupid erupts. Sure, they don't read, but what kind of livestream would it be if they were seemingly sitting on their rear end while staring at the quest text?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

I usually make a mob farm using fans, spikes, and spawners (usually soul shards) and vacuum hoppers

https://youtu.be/Vr5zwZr6Nko

The only thing I'd use from mariculture was those geysers. I was so happy to see fans could do the same thing.

That's a funny system though. "Hey guys, let's go over here AND DIE!" :wave:

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

McFrugal posted:

If you can get Orichalcum then I suggest looking up Celenegil, it's almost half as durable as Orichalcum but it mines faster and levels MUCH faster only needing 20% of normal XP, It's also apparently the most enchantable thing ever.

30.5 Days posted:

I thought it would be virtually impossible to lose blightfall given two brain cells to rub together...This lot has proven me so very wrong. :stonk:

That said, I did check the supposed "thaumcraft expert"'s channel and they seem to have at least made the connection Mission Outlook is the pack's lives system so there might still be hope for them yet. Still gonna make sure that youtubers/streamers are put on a very tight leash if I have to play with them...With some exceptions.

Krakatoah fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 24, 2015

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
As far as I'm aware, there are 7 paths to hard-metal mining or beyond in Blightfall.

1: Flint to Copper to Bronze. Requires making a tinker's smeltery, finding at least one copper ore and one tin ore, and then requisitioning more ingots. Unlocks the Thaumcraft quests.
2: Flint to Promethium to Oureclase. Does not require a smeltery. Requires digging in two separate biomes so scouting must be completed. Promethium is a terrible metal. Unlocks the Thaumcraft quests.
3: Flint to Certus Quartz to Nether Quartz. Does not require a smeltery. Can be easily done in the clay biome, desert biome, or clay arches biome. Does not unlock the Thaumcraft quests.
4: Flint (or Ghostwood) to Darkwood to Fusewood. Does not require a smeltery or mining of any kind. Requires luck and spending requisition on sapling bags. Does not unlock the Thaumcraft quests.
5: Loot enough Thaumium or a finished Thaumium tool from someplace. Does not require any infrastructure at all. Can be very dangerous to attempt without iron equipment already available. Does not unlock the Thaumcraft quests.
6: Collect enough aluminum and copper from oreberry bushes to make molds and make obsidian tools. Requires a smeltery. You need some pretty uncommon luck from seed bags, patience or time to kill, and then some way of sourcing obsidian (there are a couple). Does not unlock the Thaumcraft quests.
7: Collect enough bronze coins from tainted villagers and guards to trade for bronze ingots. Does not require any infrastructure at all. But seriously, you're planning on grinding those guys for 3 stacks of coins without iron level equipment? Does not unlock the Thaumcraft quests until you make a copper or promethium pick.

Are there any skips I don't know?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Krakatoah posted:

If you can get Orichalcum then I suggest looking up Celenegil, it's almost half as durable as Orichalcum but it mines faster and levels MUCH faster only needing 20% of normal XP, It's also apparently the most enchantable thing ever.

That's pretty drat good, yeah. At that point you're mostly done with the game though. Lumium is apparently the best at leveling up but it has 1 durability so you would be forced to put a diamond on it to boost the durability. You could conceivably get that early on since you just need glowstone, tin, silver, and a smeltery. Then good luck repairing it if you take that route!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

TheBlandName posted:

As far as I'm aware, there are 7 paths to hard-metal mining or beyond in Blightfall.

Are there any skips I don't know?

You forgot bloodwood, also excavation focus and equal trade focus means you can mine anything regardless of it's hardness, void metal pickaxe has a mining level of extreme, and mana steel pickaxe has mining level of supra-diamond.

Edit: I just ran though the majority of the floating city. The tainted hero is a push over if you have a shock focus. The tainted king was just meh. The tainted hero drops two green heart canisters. Also so much rare metal armor from killing everyone in there. Also enchanted thaumium fortress armor and thaumium sword with vampire trivializes the place.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 24, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
of course some of the other extremes you can try to get to:

Angel Rings,

Flux Armor

flux imbued Tools

Seatox
Mar 13, 2012
Blightfall, I'm having the worst luck with seed bags and getting some cactus OR finding an untainted slime. I've had multiple nethersand+wart drops, far too many saplings, and oreberry bushes for days.

It's annoying, because I'd really like to be able to label these warded jars, and the label recipe only works for green slimeballs. I guess if I keep slowly cleaning out the swamp I'll run into a natural green slime spawn eventually.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
If you clear out a large area like on the floating islands, blue slimes can spawn. For almost all intents and purposes blue slime balls are the same as green slime balls. I have yet to make any labels, I just crystalize all the stuff I don't currently use.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
Watching people play games badly is like NTR.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Have some inspiration for anyone working that thaumcraft grind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoUFWdyJyDk

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Seatox posted:

Blightfall, I'm having the worst luck with seed bags and getting some cactus OR finding an untainted slime. I've had multiple nethersand+wart drops, far too many saplings, and oreberry bushes for days.

It's annoying, because I'd really like to be able to label these warded jars, and the label recipe only works for green slimeballs. I guess if I keep slowly cleaning out the swamp I'll run into a natural green slime spawn eventually.

Switch to sapling bags. You should get a slimy sapling eventually. Grow this for green slime balls.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

McFrugal posted:

That's pretty drat good, yeah. At that point you're mostly done with the game though. Lumium is apparently the best at leveling up but it has 1 durability so you would be forced to put a diamond on it to boost the durability. You could conceivably get that early on since you just need glowstone, tin, silver, and a smeltery. Then good luck repairing it if you take that route!

Eh, it depends at what time you go mine it really.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Well, yes, you found prometheum. My point was that, just starting out, I'm pretty sure the prometheum/oureoclase path isn't even there until you find prometheum ore for the geologist.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Botania question. I know dropping stuff from an open crate with a redstone signal on it stops flowers from picking them up for about ten seconds, but is there any way to selectively delay the pickup?

I was thinking about how to automatically farm and replant potatoes (and later automatically cook them). I figure a drum breaks the potatoes (on a long timer), rannuncarpus picks up as many as needed to replant and leaves the rest, hopperhock stuffs the remainder into an inventory after a short delay. Haven't tried it yet, though.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

A space station 13 mod for Minecraft - does it exist? If it doesn't, it should.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Diet Crack posted:

A space station 13 mod for Minecraft - does it exist? If it doesn't, it should.

Galacticraft lets you build a space station that you need to supply with oxygen and all that. You could probably throw something together with that, Custom NPCs or something for the antagonists, and the more obtuse/unstable tech mods (IC2?). You're on your own for clowns though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

30.5 Days posted:

- Someone accepted completion for all 5 death quests without reading any of them so they never learned that death hurts mission outlook and eventually leads to failure.

T...there's five death quests? I am awful at minecraft and I only got to three. I have been ordering things from the supplier whenever I want and not particularly attempting to grind reputation, and I have 750 mission outlook. How does this even happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

President Ark posted:

Well, yes, you found prometheum. My point was that, just starting out, I'm pretty sure the prometheum/oureoclase path isn't even there until you find prometheum ore for the geologist.

You can't read the quest until you get a block of prometheum ore, but it is present and visible as an alternative. This was not the case prior to 2.1.0, but the beginning is much less confusing now. The big thing I wish we had is configurable toasts when quests are completed/unlocked so that mining a block of prometheum yelled at you more.